Tobbe builds an e-commerce site

Tobbe

Tobbe builds an e-commerce site

underconstruction.gif

As you might know, I'm helping a local business build a new e-commerce site. During last challenge we had a very successful startup meeting, and my goal for this challenge is to import all products from the existing online store to this new one I'm building. The tech I'm using to build this site is super new, and I've been helping building that as well. That is something I want to continue be involved in so I'll have to find a way to combine the two. This challenge extends in to October, which is the month of Hacktoberfest. Not to be missed! So I'll have to figure out something to do for that as well.

On the more fitness related side of things this challenge will see the end of the ongoing chin-up community challenge. Can't wait to get a final benchmark on that! I could do three chin-ups when the challenge started several weeks ago. Super excited to see how many I can do when the challenge ends later this week! Not sure if there is a new community challenge lined up after this one or not. I'd be up for a 10k running challenge. But we'll see what happens. If no challenge is announced I think I'll get back to doing my handstands practice. 

I'll make sure to break down the e-commerce goal in to smaller goals and tasks that'll help me reach my main goal. But that's for another day. Now I need to get to bed so I'll just leave you all with a photo from this evening's kite session 🤙

20200910_191817.jpg.31c7d18e84c412d8a0978f0122062d2b.jpg

• Like 4
On 9/11/2020 at 9:50 AM, Mad Hatter said:

What an amazing kite scene. 😍

I hope for many more like it! You said you have tried, right? Not thinking of picking it back up again?

On 9/11/2020 at 12:10 PM, Terah said:

following

Thanks for showing up :) 

On 9/11/2020 at 11:07 PM, Teros said:

I've legit never flied a kite before but that's a good pic.

Do try it if you ever get a chance. Super fun, and just an overall awesome feeling being out on the ocean in the elements.

• Like 2

Yesterday we celebrated my wife's birthday. Just a small family gathering with her parents, my parents, and her sister with family. I got so bored I had to leave. Went to my office to spend some time on the computer only to find my oldest son in there on his computer, taking a break from all his younger cousins. Like father, like son? :) At least my wife said she had a good time, and since it was her party I guess that's what matters.

Today's been a better day. Today is my wife's actual birthday, and she just wanted a day to rest, to recharge her energy levels for the week to come, and she also wanted good food. For lunch we had left-over food from yesterday evening, and for dinner I cooked her a walnut cream pasta that turned out really good. I think she liked it even more than I did. Had it with some good red wine. Other than that I've mostly been working on a WebAuthn implementation (it's a more secure way to log in to websites than username/password, like using your fingerprint on your phone for example). I've actually spent most of this week on that, and this evening I finally got both signup and login working! Super happy about that. It was way more difficult than I thought it would be, but also a lot of fun :) Love a good challenge! 

Speaking of challenges, today I did the final benchmark of the chin-up challenge. I could do 3 chin-ups when the challenge started 7 weeks ago. Today I did 9! Super happy with my progress! Got a new shirt in the app too :D 

1316356151_Screenshot_20200913-212054_NerdFitness.thumb.jpg.5921c4adeaade633d201f91fe05041c6.jpg

• Like 3

Excellent chin-up progress. Congratulations on the hard work paying off!

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

Tomorrow is day 1, week 1 of this challenge, so time to list some goals.

New goals

I've already mentioned that the main, overarching, goal this challenge is going to be to get all the products from an old online store over to this new one I'm building. I can't remember exactly how many products it is, but it's way more than 1000 at least. So pagination and search needs to be in place to be able to navigate all those products. On average there are probably two photos for every product. Currently those photos are hosted with the old e-commerce platform provider. I need to download all those images, and move them somewhere I can access them from the new site. And of course I need to find a database to store all the products in. Etc, etc... There are a thousand more things that need to get done... The only way to get this done is to start working somewhere, and checking things off as I go. So I'm going to start with five goals, in order of importance. When I have just one or two left on the list, I'll add new items, back up to five again. And so on, until I feel it is good enough to show off. This will be my starting list

1. Pagination (almost done)

2. Search (started)

(building a search index is quick and easy now that I have like 50 sample products that I play around with. It's going to be a different beast altogether when there are several 1000 products.)

3. Download all photos locally

4. Decide where to store all photos, and put them there. Amazon s3 would be an easy choice. But then I'd have to clear the expense imgix is a very powerful option, but they're even more expensive. On the other hand they have a limited free plan. Might look in to that....

5. Build a meny with categories for the products.

I think finishing 1, 2 and 3 is a realistic goal for the first week

Previously unfinished goals

I had a few last challenge that I didn't quite meet, so I'm going to try again!

Do at least one Focus@Will session per day

I like these sessions when I actually do them. I close down Slack, take off my smart watch, so I don't get disturbed by any notifications, and plug earphones in my ears.  Some days though I feel like I don't really need it. I'm staying focused without f@w, or I just listen to songs that help me focus on Spotify... But this challenge, even if it's just for a few minutes, I'm going to try to do one session every single day. I also know that's not a realistic goal. So anything over 5 days a week is a win. And doing an extra session one day, that's at least 60 minutes, can make up for a previous or future missed day.

Spend less time cooking/preparing food

I went through one of our cupboards today, looking for fig jam to go with my cheese and wine and crackers this evening. Found so much food I want to eat, that should make for quick meals. Whenever I have a really quick meal I'll take a photo and post here in this thread. The goal is five photos per week. And it can be either breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Write a pagination Redwood tutorial

Someone asked how do do this yesterday, and I told him I have a tutorial coming. Promised to post it next week. So that's a given goal for this challenge.

More info about the goals in my old thread, in this post: 

• Like 2
On 9/13/2020 at 11:02 PM, Tobbe said:

Yesterday we celebrated my wife's birthday.

Happy birthday to your wife!

I got so bored I had to leave.

Board games help. Also just hiding in the kitchen preparing snacks ;) 

I could do 3 chin-ups when the challenge started 7 weeks ago. Today I did 9!

Wow! That's amazing!

Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

New goals

1. Pagination

Haven't done anything

2. Search

Haven't done anything

Haven't done anything

Did 2 yesterday and 1 today

Monday: Leftover chili

20200914_131704.jpg.f6067f20608fae9376475c07f14e07ef.jpg

Tuesday:

Lunch: Sandwich

20200915_124558.jpg.7a776de8d182811a9c2b6b6846bde07e.jpg

Dinner: Burger (I prepared the vegan burger patties the evening before, so just had to fry them up today)

20200915_190643.jpg.9bfc4b251874420f0c1f17f4b963c7ba.jpg

Not started

• Like 2

Wednesday

E-commerce

1. Pagination

Haven't done anything

2. Search

Haven't done anything

Haven't done anything

Goals from last challenge

Yes

Best quick-meal yet was lunch on Wednesday.

20200916_112156.jpg.9cae98b49aa977777e014c22223f6fba.jpg

Mixed frozen wok veggies, Thai green curry instant noodles, green hot sauce, tofu

Put some water to boil in a kettle, added some frozen veggies to a bowl and put that in the microwave oven to defrost a bit. Cubed some of the tofu. When the veggies were mostly thawed I dumped the contents of the instant noodles in the bowl and covered with the now boiling water. Added the tofu and some hot sauce and let it all sit for a few minutes. Done!

20200916_113154.jpg.3cc1afea70b194ada699c8d601a27dfe.jpg

20 minutes to cook, eat and clean up. Bam!! And super tasty too 😋

Dinner was another quick meal, but not as tasty

20200916_173626.jpg.5ac3f1a30a4fb33143c93c0d0453e6df.jpg

Two kinds of ready made frozen dumplings, fried cabbage, unions and mushrooms, mixed salad greens. Up top we have Pelmeni served with sourcream and créme fraïche, on the bottom we have gyoza served with home-made gyoza sauce (that I already had left-over in the fridge). Lidl was running a "Finnish" theme this week and had the frozen Pelmeni on sale. Google however tells me Pelmeni is actually a Russian food 🤷‍♂️

Not started

Thursday

E-commerce

1. Pagination

Haven't done anything

2. Search

Haven't done anything

Haven't done anything

Put on a 45 min session on Focus@Will, but that was a disaster. Wasn't in the right mindset when I started, and didn't mute/close Slack or my email notifications. So wasn't nearly as productive as I usually am during those sessions. What I usually like to do is to make a quick todo list in my head, so I know what to work on, and then remove any potential distractions, and then get to work. Now I know - not doing that is a bad idea!

Found a cheese in the store I hadn't seen before

20200917_113306.thumb.jpg.1eada938b00ea8339a56d37d6c42bf22.jpg

Made an open-faced sandwich with. Had much more of a chilli kick to it than I expected!

20200917_114403.jpg.5d6355ade1009f87c2b820a2ecfba7c6.jpg

I'm still counting sandwiches as "quick and easy". But it's actually not as quick as you'd think. At least not when making a couple different versions like that getting all the ingredients out, cutting the veggies, mounting it all and then cleaning up/putting everything back in the fridge.

Dinner was a 15-minut affair. Which was the time it took to cook the pasta.

20200917_201911.jpg.9a6140173ac35512e5c49bb97977bee0.jpg

I had the tomato sauce already prepared from the day before (had it simmering on the stove while I prepared and ate breakfast). Just added ⅓ glass of red wine and half a can of kidney beans to it and reheated it on the stove. Sometimes my tomato sauce turns out just bland and boring. But this one was better than most. Super happy with it 😋

Almost done! Published a pre-release for some people to try https://tlundberg.com/blog/2020-09-16/redwood-pagination-tutorial/

Random wins

Went climbing with a couple of friends here: https://27crags.com/crags/myrberget

20200917_174744.thumb.jpg.8d8be19e211930eef5f5200981334761.jpg

Did some adulting on hard-mode during lunch break. Moved our mortgage from one bank to another to get a 1.2% lower rate on it. 💰

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2
On 9/13/2020 at 11:21 PM, Tobbe said:

I hope for many more like it! You said you have tried, right? Not thinking of picking it back up again?

I have, I was even running the uni kite club one year. There are people that kitesurf right on "my beach" and sometimes I do get jealous, but it's a lot of money to restart and it's frickin' cold most of the year. :P Guess my other activities are more accessible and pull me more right now.

• Like 1

Friday night my wife's parents came down to look after our kids so my wife and I could go watch a movie and have dinner at a nice restaurant. We watched Tenet. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it yet! It was just me and my wife in the entire theater 😂

After the movie we went to a local restaurant that we hadn't been to before, and that's now up for sale. So we wanted to go there before they close down. And I'm really glad we did! The food was super tasty and well prepared. I had beef tenderloin with pasta and chanterelle mushroom gravy 😋 Well seasoned beef that was perfectly cooked (rare) and lots of sauce, just like I prefer it!

20200918_211543.jpg.216375b7991d1d774b3e6d10410f1407.jpg

On Saturday I met up with my brother and we went for a bike ride together for several hours. Super fun! Always great to hang out with him. A good workout too! I was soaked in sweat when we got home.

20200919_124728.jpg.df16a8eaba946f826eb002bdf2119b89.jpg

When we got back to my place our mom and dad had also gotten here. So we all hung out during the weekend. It was nice. We ate good food, talked and also got a few things done around the house that needed doing.  So a productive weekend with good company ❤️

But because we had people staying the night I didn't have time to work out, so I only got two out of three workouts done last week. And I also didn't have as much time as I had hoped to work on my challenge goals. I did stay up late Sunday night after everyone had left to get some work done on the e-commerce project, which was fun :) But I would have needed to spend even more hours on it.

Challenge goals

E-commerce

1. Pagination

Haven't done anything

2. Search

Haven't done anything

Done!

No. Not during the weekend.

Friday lunch:

20200918_112223.jpg.d44163bc6c8f098ec686b9f4d5c1e346.jpg

The brown rice had to cook for 35 minutes, but I got a workout in while it was cooking, so that was perfect. Other than that the food came together really quickly. The tofu was already marinated, so just had to fry it up together with some green beans. Poured some Nước Chấm that I had in the fridge over it as a sauce. Simple but tasty meal.

Saturday and Sunday I spent more time cooking because I wanted to treat my parents and brother to good food :) 

Monday lunch: Leftovers from the weekend. So super quick!

Done (added a short paragraph and an image compared to the draft I showed earlier) https://tlundberg.com/blog/2020-09-16/redwood-pagination-tutorial/

• Like 3

Challenge summary, week 1

E-commerce

1. Pagination (almost done)

2. Search (started)

(building a search index is quick and easy now that I have like 50 sample products that I play around with. It's going to be a different beast altogether when there are several 1000 products.)

✔️ 3. Download all photos locally

4. Decide where to store all photos, and put them there. Amazon s3 would be an easy choice. But then I'd have to clear the expense imgix is a very powerful option, but they're even more expensive. On the other hand they have a limited free plan. Might look in to that....

5. Build a menu with categories for the products.

I think finishing 1, 2 and 3 is a realistic goal for the first week

The goal for the first week was to do 1, 2 and 3. But I only did 3. So fail :( 

✔️ The fine print said that anything above 5 days was a win. What I meant to say was 5 days or more, i.e. once every day of the work week. And IIRC I did that. At least I haven't had a single day were I felt super unproductive all day. So I'm going to call first week a win on this goal

✔️ The goal was at least 5 photos per week of food that was quick to prepare. I posted 7 quick dishes. So that's a win!

✔️ Done

Planning week 2

E-commerce

Going to re-try finishing 1 and 2 that I didn't complete last week. But I'm also going to try my best to finish 4 and 5. I'm going to have more time this week on the evenings on Wednesday, Thursday and possibly Friday. So it should be doable.

I'm going to continue with this. It's working great so far!

Spent and hour and a half making pizza tonight (Monday). I really don't have that kind of time to spend on cooking. Lot's of things that I didn't have time for today, like my bodyweight exercise and chin-up challenge workouts for example, because I spent all that time on cooking.

To make sure the above doesn't happen again I'm upping the difficulty on this goal. In addition to making at least 5 super quick and easy meals I'm also not allowed to spend more than 30 minutes cooking a single meal this week.

Already done. So not going to focus on that. This time will instead be spent on my E-commerce goals

• Like 1

I always enjoy your challenge content. I particularly am enjoying your e-commerce progress and food pictures.

Hacktoberfest.. I have never participated in that but perhaps it would be a good challenge for me this year. I have wanted to do a bit more programming outside of work. 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

On 9/22/2020 at 3:57 PM, Rookie said:

I always enjoy your challenge content. I particularly am enjoying your e-commerce progress and food pictures.

Thank you :)

On 9/22/2020 at 3:57 PM, Rookie said:

I have never participated in that but perhaps it would be a good challenge for me this year.

Do it! It's a lot of fun! :) And I just realized it begins in exactly one week! Woohoo! I have to PRs planned. Need to come up with at least two more.

Any project you're especially excited about that you could contribute to?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Do it! It's a lot of fun! :) And I just realized it begins in exactly one week! Woohoo! I have to PRs planned. Need to come up with at least two more.:)

Any project you're especially excited about that you could contribute to?

I'll need to do some research! I'm the worst programmer 😅 I'm so out of the loop of what's out there

6 hours ago, Rookie said:

I'll need to do some research! I'm the worst programmer 😅 I'm so out of the loop of what's out there

An option not everyone thinks of is to create your own opensource project and contribute to that. I've created and contributed to a few of my own NerdFitness user scripts during Hacktoberfest before.

So if you have an idea, don't be afraid to put it out there!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Tobbe said:

An option not everyone thinks of is to create your own opensource project and contribute to that. I've created and contributed to a few of my own NerdFitness user scripts during Hacktoberfest before.

So if you have an idea, don't be afraid to put it out there!

Great advice! I do have an idea 🙂

• Like 1

Today's Daily Win in the NF Journey App is to journal for three minutes. 

What are you grateful for?

The awesome people in my online communities. All you people here ❤️ And also all the welcoming people in the RedwoodJS community.

How are you feeling physically, emotionally and mentally today?

Physically I'm feeling good. Got out on a 4k run earlier today and it felt easier than ever 💪 🏃‍♂️

Emotionally I'm feeling... err... Blank? Nothing? 

Mentally I'm feeling a little tired. I worked 20 hours on my e-commerce project this weekend. So now it's Monday, soon Tuesday and I feel like I need a weekend to rest 😆😴

What is one thing you can do to make today great?

"Today" is almost over, so I'm going to think about what I can do tomorrow, to make tomorrow great.

I can go out during the day and mount the wind deflectors on my car. 

1. I'll get a break from work

2. I'll get some fresh air

3. I'll get to complete a quick project and check it off my list

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Rookie said:

How goes Hacktober? I did a newbie first contribution one but haven't looked at it since because works been crazy and I haven't felt like coding after work 😅😅

Thanks for asking :)  It goes very well. I'm actually already done

image.thumb.png.b2eee42fefe951c8f055b30a0b067930.png

Don't know if you've been following the #shitoberfest drama. But basically some reckless youtuber told all his followers to go do a bunch of pull-requests and showed them how to add "this is an awesome project" or something like that to the README file in a random repo somewhere. And so they did. So a bunch of repo owners got spammed with low-quality pull requests :(  So now it's opt-in instead. Which means you have to find a repo that's opted in to hacktoberfest to contribute to for the PRs to count towards your progress. (Or the PR can be tagged by some special label that I can't remember off the top of my head).

I've also been spending a lot of time on the e-commerce project, which is looking much better now than before. But it's taken all my free time, so I haven't had time to post here as much as I want to.

• Like 2