Tobbe builds an e-commerce site

Tobbe

7 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Thanks for asking :)  It goes very well. I'm actually already done

image.thumb.png.b2eee42fefe951c8f055b30a0b067930.png

Wow! Great job! 

7 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Don't know if you've been following the #shitoberfest drama. But basically some reckless youtuber told all his followers to go do a bunch of pull-requests and showed them how to add "this is an awesome project" or something like that to the README file in a random repo somewhere. And so they did. So a bunch of repo owners got spammed with low-quality pull requests :(  So now it's opt-in instead. Which means you have to find a repo that's opted in to hacktoberfest to contribute to for the PRs to count towards your progress. (Or the PR can be tagged by some special label that I can't remember off the top of my head).

During my research about Hacktober some resources were saying how it becomes a spamfest. I don't think I knew about the opt-in. I did know it said to look for ones with Hacktober tagged.

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

9 minutes ago, Rookie said:

During my research about Hacktober some resources were saying how it becomes a spamfest. I don't think I knew about the opt-in. I did know it said to look for ones with Hacktober tagged.

Yeah, that's too unfortunate. I haven't seen any of that at all, but can't argue with the screenshots people have been posting to twitter :(  If they're tagged with Hacktoberfest I'd assume PRs for those would count towards completion 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Yeah, that's too unfortunate. I haven't seen any of that at all, but can't argue with the screenshots people have been posting to twitter :(  If they're tagged with Hacktoberfest I'd assume PRs for those would count towards completion 

Do you need to comment on the issue you want to fix asking if you can fix it first? I have seen some people doing that as well. 

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

19 hours ago, Rookie said:

Do you need to comment on the issue you want to fix asking if you can fix it first? I have seen some people doing that as well. 

You don't have to, it's not in the hacktoberfest rules, but some projects want you to do that. If there is a `CONTRIBUTING.md` file in the repo, or a "Contributing" part of the README, you should read it and see what "rules" that project has. "No unsolicited pull-requests" is a pretty common thing to see, which means to please create, or comment on, an issue before sending a PR.

• Like 1

Challenge wrap-up

E-commerce

1. Pagination

Was "almost done" when I started this challenge. It's still almost done...

2. Search

I've done some improvements and re-designs when it comes to search, but still not done

3. Download all photos locally

Done!

4. Decide where to store all photos and put them there

Right now the top contenders are ImageKit and Blackblaze b2. Still haven't uploaded all photos though

5. Build a meny with categories for the products

Done! This was a big undertaking that involved re-designing the entire site to better handle the huge tree-like structure of the menu.

I didn't finish all my goals, but I'm still happy with my progress because I did a lot of things not captured by my goals. As mentioned above I redesigned the entire site. Looks much better now! And, even more importantly, it's easier to use and navigate too! I've had two meetings with the guy I'm building the site for, and he's also happy with what he's seeing. 

Do at least one Focus@Will session per day

Nope. I have put on F@W when I've felt I needed it. Sometimes I've but on some songs on Spotify that gets me in the zone instead. But frankly I've been feeling pretty productive even without any external help this challenge.

Spend less time cooking/preparing food

I did spend less time cooking. I said I'd post photos, but towards the end I obviously failed at that goal :( 

Write a pagination Redwood tutorial

Done! Even made it on to the official Redwood web page :D https://redwoodjs.com/cookbook/pagination

Speaking of which, I've also been promoted to Community Lead! (bottom right)

image.png.28231a247268a0b823e947d2731dd009.png

What that means is that I'm invited to the core-team Slack channel and to their bi-weekly video meeting. I also have commit rights to the GitHub repos.

Basically more power, and more responsibility. And also more time consuming... But lots of fun!

• Like 2