• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DoubleTrouble

Balance and mobility [DoubleTrouble]

I have a swiss ball so I might as well use it for something other than flips.

After visiting a chiropractor recently, I learned that one of my legs has less external rotation than the other, and that the passive ROM doesn't equal the active ROM for external rotation on both legs. Also, my lower back wasn't engaging properly in the cat-cow pose.

Main Quests

Figure 4: Stretch the leg often (daily?) so that both legs have equal passive ROM

Passive is active: Get the external rotation active ROM to be the same as the passive ROM, by building up strength through isometric (and maybe resistance band) exercises. 2X a week.

Catty cow: Practice engaging the lower back during the cat-cow stretch. Every stretch session.

Physio: Heavy shoulder physio 2X a week. Light shoulder physio daily.

Run: 2X a week

Leg day: 2X a week

Side Quests

Stay on the ball: Follow the progressions in this video to work towards balancing on a swiss ball

Trampoline base: Finish building the base of a mini tramp.

ball-min.gif.9c600775529d0647a4e6366deef65c58.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

After visiting a chiropractor recently, I learned that one of my legs has less external rotation than the other

Ooh, this is super interesting-- and something I think I've noticed just passively, that if I sit with my legs stretched out and let my feet flop to the side, they flop to different degrees. Ha. So I'm interested to hear about your progress on this!

Aaaaah, you're building a trampoline?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Also, my lower back wasn't engaging properly in the cat-cow pose.

Can you elaborate?  I suspect my back is not doing what it should in those movements either, but honestly I am not even sure how I would even know.

8 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Stay on the ball: Follow the progressions in this video to work towards balancing on a swiss ball

Now I wish I had a swiss ball...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tei_ said:

Ooh, this is super interesting-- and something I think I've noticed just passively, that if I sit with my legs stretched out and let my feet flop to the side, they flop to different degrees. Ha. So I'm interested to hear about your progress on this!

Aaaaah, you're building a trampoline?

I should mention that the external rotation I meant was the flexed version, with the knee bent at 90 degrees. Welcome!

I found a mini trampoline (one of those small circular ones that don't give much bounce) but it was missing the legs. So I'm just building something for it to sit on.

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Can you elaborate?  I suspect my back is not doing what it should in those movements either, but honestly I am not even sure how I would even know.

Only the upper and mid spine actually flexed/extended while doing the pose, the lower back kind of just stayed the same. I had to really push/curl that area to get a little movement in the lower vertebrae.

I'm really glad I bought that ball, it was totally worth it

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Following!

Hi! 😊

• Like 2

On 9/11/2020 at 2:48 AM, WhiteGhost said:

You and me both. I remember trying to teach myself to balance on a ball as a kid when playing circus. Now we can be adults playing circus. :)

• Like 2

On 9/11/2020 at 12:02 PM, Manarelle said:

Enjoy the mini vacation, following again!

Ohai! It was nice. Except for the part where I went out paddling in a canoe to the other side of the lake and my parents thought I'd drowned because they couldn't see me. 😂

12 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

You and me both. I remember trying to teach myself to balance on a ball as a kid when playing circus. Now we can be adults playing circus. :)

This is hardcore training, I'll have you know 😉

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Swiss ball fun! 

Yeay!

-------

Started balancing on the swiss ball. Got used to hands and knees pretty quick, then only knees/shins shortly afterwards. Getting one leg on took a bit of practice but it wasn't that hard. The second leg was hard though. I added some more air to the ball to make it a bit easier, and leaned one side against the bed to hop up and try to get used to how it would feel with both feet on the ball. Eventually got the second leg up without the bed assist, but it wasn't very consistent.

• Like 4

Ok this looks really cool lol I like the determination. It looked like you were getting better at it already towards the end of that clip.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 1:13 AM, Vidd said:

Ok this looks really cool lol I like the determination. It looked like you were getting better at it already towards the end of that clip.

That's just me focusing haha. Within each session, it goes bad-->good-->bad (when I start to get tired). I'm looking for improvements across several sessions.

-------

I did a shoulder extension test after watching this video. Another thing to work on, since I couldn't get as far back as the guy in the video.

For ball balance, I practised getting the second leg up and removing a hand or hovering both hands just barely off the ball. I also tried shifting my feet once both feet were on the ball, and looking at a spot in front of me instead of looking down.

• Like 2

Recap of the last two weeks:

Figure 4 stretch: I did the figure 4 stretch on 5 days out of the 8 days that I stretched in the past two weeks

Passive is active: I only did a clamshell resistance band exercise one day in the last two weeks

Catty cow: Didn't log this, but I'm guessing around 2 or 3 times in the last two weeks

Physio: Heavy physio 3X and light physio 9X in the last two weeks

Run: On track (2X a week). Skipping one run because I've been doing too many jumps lately and my calves are feeling it.

Leg day: Once in the last two weeks. Should have been 3 or 4 times, but because of all the jumps my legs were always tired

Balance: Haven't practised since my last video. Maybe just sneaking in some balance here and there and not worrying about filming is the way to go. Been doing a lot of rail balance but not sure if that has carryover since it's much easier than balancing on the ball

Trampoline base: no progress yet. I want to have it at an angle but that means it's harder to make so I've been putting this off

Since I don't have any new footage, here's an old parkour line.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Leg day: Once in the last two weeks. Should have been 3 or 4 times, but because of all the jumps my legs were always tired

Jumping days sound like they'd be leg day... that's all posterior chain. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Hey, hope everything is going ok for you. What'cha been up to? 

It's going great, thanks for checking in!

I've been on top of physio and running, and leg day is improving (did 2 leg days and one parkour substituted leg day). Jumps can substitute for leg day but only if I do max power or sub-max power jumps. If I'm just working on flow stuff or low impact / low effort stuff for a while, I end up slowly losing leg strength.

I found that figure 4 is an okay stretch, but putting my leg up onto something pigeon-pose style seems to work even better. I'm not doing any strengthening for external rotation, I need to sneak that into my routine somewhere. I'm also not doing the cat cow stretch very much, but when I do it I try to get those lower vertebrae to move.

I did one more ball balancing session since my last update, but didn't film it. I took to the ball to the beach and did some flips though, and tried a back handspring progression.

• Like 4

Badass start to that video.

Glad to hear leg day is going well! I've always found it tough to balance parkour practice and getting enough leg strength in, but it sounds like you've worked out a good compromise to get yourself enough volume.

Are you still doing side flip progressions at all?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PaulG said:

Seconding this. Love the slam into the ground cut. 

Glad to hear things are working for you. The back handspring work sounds intimidating, just trying to get past the brain "nope" phase.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PaulG said:

Glad to hear leg day is going well! I've always found it tough to balance parkour practice and getting enough leg strength in, but it sounds like you've worked out a good compromise to get yourself enough volume.

Are you still doing side flip progressions at all?

Thanks!

I'm still learning how to balance those things, its a work in progress.

I'm not working on side flips at all, should I? The sideways landing is what puts me off, it doesn't look good for the knees

5 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Seconding this. Love the slam into the ground cut. 

Glad to hear things are working for you. The back handspring work sounds intimidating, just trying to get past the brain "nope" phase.

Thanks, I've wanted to do that for a while but kept forgetting.

I think the proper way is to learn back walkovers first, I might do that. Or not. I don't know.

• Like 2

Very cool videos as always. Those flips on the ball look scary but fun. I'm really liking all the parkour one of these days I'm going to have to center a challenge of my own around it.

• Like 1

Thanks!

I'm still learning how to balance those things, its a work in progress.

I'm not working on side flips at all, should I? The sideways landing is what puts me off, it doesn't look good for the knees

Thanks, I've wanted to do that for a while but kept forgetting.

I think the proper way is to learn back walkovers first, I might do that. Or not. I don't know.

You definitely do not need to learn walkovers first -- it's way more back flexibility than you'd need and requires a lot of dedicated flex work, which is harder to prioritize if you are not a child gymnast. Haha.

Having something like a barrel or something to lean into/roll over is hugely beneficial progression if you can find something that would work. Going backwards ONTO your hands is a pretty big mental block to grow over and having something to support you while you start to do it with control is super helpful.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vidd said:

Very cool videos as always. Those flips on the ball look scary but fun. I'm really liking all the parkour one of these days I'm going to have to center a challenge of my own around it.

It's super fun!

Parkour clubbb

5 hours ago, raptron said:

You definitely do not need to learn walkovers first -- it's way more back flexibility than you'd need and requires a lot of dedicated flex work, which is harder to prioritize if you are not a child gymnast. Haha.

Having something like a barrel or something to lean into/roll over is hugely beneficial progression if you can find something that would work. Going backwards ONTO your hands is a pretty big mental block to grow over and having something to support you while you start to do it with control is super helpful.

Oh that's good news. Thanks for the advice!

I'll have to think about what I can use. Maybe a garbage can would work but not sure how I'll get one at the beach so I might have to do it somewhere else

----------

I hurt my knee during a parkour session, so I'll have to put some of my goals on hold for a bit. Going to be working more on non-knee involved stuff.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 2:18 AM, DoubleTrouble said:

I think the proper way is to learn back walkovers first, I might do that.

I have never in my life been able to do walkovers but handsprings were very doable.  I used them as a progression for backflips but now my weight to wrist strength ration makes them not a great option for me so I have kind of given up on them.  I find them much easier on the ankles than straight up back flips, though.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 5:21 PM, DoubleTrouble said:

I hurt my knee during a parkour session, so I'll have to put some of my goals on hold for a bit. Going to be working more on non-knee involved stuff.

:( Hopefully nothing serious? Knees are so particular. 

• Like 1