• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Or, When it Rains it Pours

This particular challenge begins with two big things that may happen during it:

1) Finally moving to the Wye. (90% chance.)

2) Start my new job. (??!?!?% chance.)

If that last one confused you, it’s okay. I’m a bit dazed myself!

The short version is that an amazing contract writing opportunity dropped on me out of nowhere last week and Mr and I agreed that although the timing was somewhat less amazing (since we’re on the cusp of a cross-country move and we hadn’t really about thought of me going back to work before Enting started school), the career path it could open up for me (games writing) was too good to ignore and we’d made it work if it came through. I’ve since made it past the first round with the initial writing sample I did for them, and they’ve hired me to write them an opening script based on their game premise. If the script goes over well, it may turn into a longer term contract to develop and write rest of their launch content. (And after that, possibly ongoing content.)

breathes

(I told Mr that even if I don’t make it beyond this stage, the boost to my confidence has been huge. And I will still have a current professional credit on my CV.)

ANYWAY.

Goals during this challenge:

1) Assuming the move continues forward, the next stage will be choosing which removal service we’re using. There’s also going through and getting rid of misc. junk that has piled up, admin like getting mail redirected (I’m particularly worried about the timing of the move and my absentee ballot for the US presidential election), choosing a new surgery/dentist, etc. And if the contract pans out(!!!), I need to figure out a fast childcare solution for the Enting on the other side. (Luckily, his current nursery has been really flexible with us over the last couple of weeks.)

2) Finish the script. Submit it. Make it the best thing I can while showing them I can keep a tight deadline.

3) Continue the Walk to Mordor/4 miles each day (done by average of days). Since I will be, at least for the next several days, back to doing a lot of computer work, I need to make sure I’m caring for my body. I woke up this morning with my body feeling like I was 111 years old, and I don’t like that at all. I’m only 41!

3a) Mr has suggested we start doing pilates or something together. Give that a go.

I also need to update the WtM app. It’s been a few weeks This has been done now.

4) Don’t drop my eating standards (too much). Things are busy, and I will not have as much leisure to cook elaborate healthy meals, at least in the short term. Compromises will need to be made, but don’t completely let go.

Goals 1-2 are moving targets that will develop on how things both inside and outside of my control proceed and I’ll probably set objectives at the beginning of each week.

3-4 are fairly static. 

And that’s it for me... here’s to big awesome changes! 

• Like 10

Congrats on the move and on the potential new job! They'll be lucky to have you.

Your challenge looks great, and I look forward to seeing you thrive in the midst of the chaos.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

Congrats on the move and on the potential new job! They'll be lucky to have you.

Your challenge looks great, and I look forward to seeing you thrive in the midst of the chaos.

It would be nice to feel like I’m thriving, mostly I feel like I’m constantly running in survival XD

• Like 1

End of Week Zero

There’s been some challenges with our move. I don’t want to get into the details, but we are feeling less and less confident about our buyers following through. This is a blow. We should know in the next few days what’s what. The sellers of the house we are trying to buy are aware of this, and are so far showing sympathy and patience.

A few days ago I somehow tweaked my back. (We suspect Enting-related.) I have chronic neck and shoulder pain, but I rarely have back pain. Compensating has caused problems down into my hip and knee. Good times. The back seems to be getting better, though, so hopefully the hip and knee will follow.

I changed my walking goal to an average of 4 miles a day because I know there are inevitable days where I don’t manage that for Reasons (like the above paragraph) and other days where I smash it. I’ve had trouble hitting my walking goals the last couple of challenges so while I still want it to be a challenge, I want it to be one I have a chance of actually succeeding on. I will start tracking as of tomorrow.

Starting tomorrow, Enting has full time nursery for the week and I will get working!

• Like 5

Sorry to hear about the tweak, but it's a good idea to have the walking be a *total* to compensate for good/bad days.

This week is already plunging into a nosedive. *sigh*

On Monday morning, a 20 minute morning appointment went upwards 2 hours, Enting went down very sick and had to be collected early and has been home all day today Tuesday, and has an almost zero chance of going to nursery tomorrow. Caring for a sick child overnight hasn’t been great for sleep. And there’s the issue that usually when the child gets sick, one or both adults follow....

So... my grand plans to write that script this week?* Bust. Walking? Bust. 

By the end of the week we should know if our buyers are moving forward (there’s been issues), or if that’s going to be a bust, too.

It’s been a very discouraging week and it’s only Tuesday.

(*I don’t technically have a deadline for this one yet, but quick turn-over is definitely one of the qualities they are looking for.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I think you're handling things really well. taking care of yourself so you don't get sick is important, and I can tell you, I am almost 40, and I have vivid memories of my mom being with me on sick nights and my heart fills with gratitude and love. You are an awesome mom. I hope Enting feels better and that you and the hubs avoid getting sick!

• Like 2

Right. It’s Friday. It’s been a really tough week. Everything is on fire. 

Enting is finally at nursery today—and hopefully will stay healthy this time—and I’m going to be busting my butt on this script. I was able to get an extension, but not as much of one as I’d hoped for. And I’m really hoping asking for it it won’t count against me when they choose among the writing candidates.

I need to pull up my daily walking average, but that’s not going to be the focus of today, or even tomorrow. I’ll start worrying about that next week.

We think we have a silver bullet for the buyers’ concerns now (it’s a long story, and has been a bit farcical to be honest) and we hope that will finally move forward.

So we can move.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

We think we have a silver bullet for the buyers’ concerns now (it’s a long story, and has been a bit farcical to be honest) and we hope that will finally move forward.

So we can move.

Yay! 

We also had a bit of a delay from the buyer of our buyers' house (their mortgage paperwork was delayed, even though they submitted with plenty of time. So closing was scheduled for a Friday, but the paperwork wasn't approved until Thursday morning, and none of the pre-closing work had been completed due to waiting on the paperwork). Being only a seller in this process meant that our only concern was if we were going to have to pay an additional month of mortgage based on the rescheduled timing (we didn't). But I know the issues our buyers went through with trying to re-coordinate moving things. 

Fingers crossed on the writing work! I think that's amazingly awesome!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

We also had a bit of a delay

Oh boy, I hope we don’t run into similar. We’ve had enough trouble! Our buyer’s solicitor got really hung up on the idea—and could not be convinced otherwise—that our extra parking space was a dues-paying leasehold (think like condominiums) instead part of our freehold property and seems to have gotten the buyers convinced as well. Our home was built by the same development company as the place across the street at the same time (which is leasehold flats and associated parking and managed by them), and because of that it’s mentioned on the deed. But our extra parking space is not on the property of the leasehold and if we owed dues, you think Mr would have heard from them in the last 18 years? :P 

It should be resolved now. I just hope there aren’t more problems. 

• Like 5

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly from here. That bit about the parking space is a bit mind-boggling, like... you would definitely know. LOL. 

WRITE LIKE THE WIND! :D I'm rooting for you

I have submitted the thing.

Now I wait. 

And clean up the disaster that is our house.

I might go take a walk first.

Moving date still up in the air. Many of us families in this housing chain are getting more worried as we get closer to winter and more and more lockdown restrictions are being put into place as we’re “officially” into the second wave of Covid in the UK. 

• Like 3

I did a tally of my walking mileage from week one up to yesterday.

Average: 3.97 miles a day. (Goal is average 4 miles.) Last week had some low days dragging the average down, but I think I can bring it up over the mark. 

• Like 3

I hate it when I have so many things up in the air like you have. It just feels unsettled. Hope you are finding ways to enjoy your time spent waiting for everything! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoodDoug said:

I hate it when I have so many things up in the air like you have. It just feels unsettled. Hope you are finding ways to enjoy your time spent waiting for everything! 

Unsettled is definitely the feeling. 

The pandemic also doesn’t help. Without the pandemic I could frame moving delays as “longer to go do all my London’s Greatest Hits!” But because of the pandemic I can’t do any of that stuff or see my friends, and I’m constantly risking the plague whenever I leave my front door in my high density area or taking my child somewhere he can play that’s not our lounge. 

We will move eventually. We are discussing a Plan B if the buyers totally fail us. It won’t be great, but it will get us moved.

I should know about the job by next week, so that will be one thing settled one way or another. I really want it, although I acknowledge it will complicate my life in other ways :) 

• Like 5

Quick update:

I made it to the next stage on the job, and am being interviewed in an hour. Eep. 

The target to exchange home sale/buy contracts (which includes setting the completion/move date) is for next Monday, which means we should be talking real actual dates we can book the movers on this week. Here’s hoping....

• Like 3

Have heard nothing back re: job yet. I’m trying to stay neutral because everything else has been so disappointing this week.

We will not be moving during this challenge. We were supposed to exchange contracts* on Monday, yesterday our buyers said—without explanation or preamble—they will now not exchange until the end of October, and then want to complete the week after. So, sometime in November? If they don’t change it again? We and the three families behind us on the chain are absolutely flabbergasted. We have families that are dealing with problems getting their children enroled the correct schools (as they are moving counties), I cannot make solid childcare arrangements on either side of this move if the other thing does turn out positive, and the weather is getting worse and worse which is even more of a problem than usual as the last 3 families are rural families with a lot of outdoor equipment and paraphernalia and livestock to move.

We are demanding answers (which we have done in the past to no response), but we have pretty much lost all confidence now. Not only do they keep changing the target, but refusing to exchange contracts until late means that we can’t actually book in the movers with any confidence and they will charge hefty fees for changing or cancelling bookings. Our people further down the chain don’t want us to push an ultimatum on our buyers to the point of walking because they want the sale to go through... eventually. But we are all so, so fed up.

(*In England, everything is just a handshake agreement until the exchange of contracts, which happens quite late in the process, with the sale finalizing 7-28 days later. It’s as you can see from our experience, it makes this process a nightmare.)

• Sad 3