• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dancezwithkittehz

Dancezwithkittehz back to the basics pt eleventy bazillion

8 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

Any pointers on a good book to start off with for him?

I highly recommend the Mistborn series.  I think it would be right up your alley :) 

• Like 2

OKkkkkkkk. So I've realized if I don't actually do those daily check in lists it's way easier to forget what my goals are and forget to do them and stuff so, back to actually tracking things!

Challenge Week 2, Day 3, Tuesday

Goal 1 - Sun Time (sun lamp or actual sun daily) -✔️- Yep!

I got to it late but I did do it. I think it works better if I get this first thing in the morning but yesterday (and today ugh) we have early morning bigger campus wide meeting things and it's totally thrown my usual morning routine. I was considering turning my camera on for the meeting so I didn't want a BRIGHT LIIIIIGHT basically pointed at the camera. I of course ended up deciding camera was unecessary since it was a meeting of 100 something plus people and I wasn't talking anyway so meh.

Goal 2 - Drink more water (64 oz a day, refill every bathroom trip)-✔️- I was pretty good on this yesterday. I still need to find an easy cue for refills for lazy couch days (weekends) but this is working well for work days anyway!

Goal 3- Relax the brain, (cook or clean daily) -✔️- Yep. Did some dishes! I guess one bonus to always using dishes is there are always more dishes to clean?

Goal 4- Daily cardio -- Nope. I am hoping daily check ins make this easier to remember to do!

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 11:01 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I highly recommend the Mistborn series.  I think it would be right up your alley :) 

Seconded. Good writing. 

20 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

I got to it late but I did do it. I think it works better if I get this first thing in the morning but yesterday (and today ugh) we have early morning bigger campus wide meeting things and it's totally thrown my usual morning routine. I was considering turning my camera on for the meeting so I didn't want a BRIGHT LIIIIIGHT basically pointed at the camera. I of course ended up deciding camera was unecessary since it was a meeting of 100 something plus people and I wasn't talking anyway so meh.

Man, I forgot about this too, and today would have been perfect for it. 

Challenge Week 2, Day 4, Wednesday

Goal 2 - Drink more water (64 oz a day, refill every bathroom trip)-✔️- Success

Goal 3- Relax the brain, (cook or clean daily) -✔️- Yep. Did some more dishes. Wheeeeee dishes. Also, Since I didn't post about it Monday, I tried out making my usual fav caramel chicken sauce but vegetarian and threw it on tofu. It was delicious but as expected not quite as savory meaty as when I make the sauce and then cook down chicken thighs in it (if I were to cook the tofu down in the sauce it would lose its crisp and I would be teh sads.) It still had the delightful soy garlicy nom nom ness so all in all a success. I may try throwing in some msg next time I make it vegetarian style again to see if that makes up for what I feel I'm losing from the meatyness.

Goal 4- Daily cardio -- Nope. Again. Woops. TBF trying to remember an extra thing yesterday was unlikely. 5 hours of meetings yesterday and work is nuts right now since the start of fall is almost here!

Also, my knee was pretty much almost back at 100%.....and then I slammed it super hard into my chair which hurt really bad for a solid 5 minutes and is still hurting now. I don't think it exactly re-exacerbated the old grumpy bit it just hurts in general because hitting your knee cap really hard is not pleasant? lol. All in all yesterday I kept accidentally running into things and making myself increasingly grumpy (I think I was rushing around a bit more since work was all crazy? I dunno.) Also managed to bump my head on a bathroom cabinet and bumping my head always makes me really angry pretty much instantly lol. That and loud unexpected noises = insta rage lol.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

Also, my knee was pretty much almost back at 100%.....and then I slammed it super hard into my chair which hurt really bad for a solid 5 minutes and is still hurting now. I don't think it exactly re-exacerbated the old grumpy bit it just hurts in general because hitting your knee cap really hard is not pleasant? lol. All in all yesterday I kept accidentally running into things and making myself increasingly grumpy (I think I was rushing around a bit more since work was all crazy? I dunno.) Also managed to bump my head on a bathroom cabinet and bumping my head always makes me really angry pretty much instantly lol. That and loud unexpected noises = insta rage lol.

:( That makes for a horrible day. Hope today is treating you better. 

6 hours ago, Manarelle said:

:( That makes for a horrible day. Hope today is treating you better. 

It actually wasn't a horrible day I think I just only tend to post about the most annoying or most awesome bits! I mean, yes, it's been a LONG week and topping it with running into things sucks but all in all I am good! (Also heyy that was pretty positive. I think this mental health homework stuff is working!)

I also am proud of myself that I said no to an extra meeting next week for a volunteering thing. Past me would have said yes and then had an even more stressful week.  Like, there are times when I will move my schedule or take on extra stuff but I am not adding MORE to what will already be a hell week and that's just that! WOOHOO for getting better at boundaries! I am sure there is the chance the person I said no to will think I am being an asshole but eh. C'est la vie. Being older and giving less fucks about judgement from others is such a free-ing thing. (It only took more than 30 years to get here! Better late than never and better mid 30s than post retirement or something!)

• Like 1

Challenge Week 2, Day 5, Thursday

Goal 2 - Drink more water (64 oz a day, refill every bathroom trip)-✔️- I think I failed slightly on my intake but was good on refills? Now to manage to both in one day. Lol

Goal 3- Relax the brain, (cook or clean daily) -✔️- Yes. More dishes. Shocking i know! I did also clean some counters soooo hey extra.

Goal 4- Daily cardio -✔️-- YES! I DID. I was almost done with my lifty lifty X3 band workout yesterday when I thought "hey you could finish this workout with burpees and actually do the cardio you said you would do." Now to just keep actually remembering this..I am thinking doing this as built in after X3 thing which I do 6 days of the week would be an easy time to do it and maybe remember to do it more consistently.

Unrelated to anything, I swear I am on SUCH a pot pie kick lately. Like,  I just keep thinking about them whenever I am hungry and they are the first thing I think of for most meals. I am buying an ABSURD amount of the smaller entree size marie callenders pot pies lately (like..every store trip at least 3 and they are gone within the first few days.) Normally Shin ramyun is my go to I will always eat it thing, but lately I keep making a pack and then being like mehhhhhhhhhh I'll just drink some of the broth and toss this and eat something else... LIKE A POT PIE PERHAPS?!

Anyway, I really need to figure out a higher protein alternative to pot pie. Like...I know I should just get less of flaky buttery crust kick and savory delicious nom nom kick, but I know that's not going to happen. Making ones with highest protein possible vs pre-made seems like the way to go to make the best out of a not super healthy thing. I guess on the plus side I am not a sweet tooth and the things I get weirdly fixated on foodwise usually involve protein or at very least are not heavy on sugar!(GIVE ME THE SALT. SALT SALT SALT!!!! Ahem..anyway)

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 7:34 AM, dancezwithkittehz said:

Being older and giving less fucks about judgement from others is such a free-ing thing. (It only took more than 30 years to get here! Better late than never and better mid 30s than post retirement or something!)

So true.  I wish I had gotten there when I was still in my 30s

On 9/26/2020 at 7:46 AM, dancezwithkittehz said:

SUCH a pot pie kick lately

I love me some pot pies, but I am the only one in my family that enjoys them so I don't make them very often.  If we had the single serving frozen ones like we had when I was a kid I would probably have an entire freezer full of them :D 

• Like 2

OH HEYYYYYY. New week. I did continue to work on goal stuff on the weekend but did not post as per the usual!  For now I will try to remember what I did yesterday which definitely did not include cardio (woops). I planned for it to! We were supposed to be dancing so I was like "heyyy no burpees necessary today" but then that ended up being cancelled and I did not go back and be like HEY DO BURPEES at the end of my lifting like I should have. Woops.

I am toying with the idea to just make myself do 5 burpees (more also OK of course) any time I start feeling mentally tapped out in the afternoon (or morning. I just hope that that doesn't happen in the morning. If I reach mental capacity already before noon that is not good but also it's the beginning of the year and work is nuts so that would not entirely surprise me....) This would have added bonus of hopefully waking me up a bit so I can get more done AND go towards the do cardio every day bit. Win win.

I've also decided that for all that location logistics wise the refill water at bathroom breaks thing does not make as much sense on weekends, it DOES work in so much as going to the bathroom is now a cue for me to refill water so I should just go with it and stop overthinking it to come up with separate weekday and weekend cues. IF IT WORKS IT WORKS. Yay new habits!

Also, un-challenge related, my bangs are finally long enough that I can kind of push them back and they happily blend in with the rest of my hair and don't stab me in the eyes AND my hair is almost long enough I could put it in a pony tail. I mean, it's still super short compared to back in the day when I had like, butt length hair, but I am SO looking forward to being able to put hair up and keep it out of my way for exercise/ when it's hot! I need to make decisions about how long I want to let it get and if I want to re-cut bangs again at some point but since we are weird lockdown hermits at this point hair that I don't need to cut as often is OK with me!

Anyway CHALLENGE STUFF:

Challenge Week 3, Day 2, Monday

Goal 1 - Sun Time (sun lamp or actual sun daily) -✔️- Yep! I also spent some time laying in a sunbeam cuddling a cat which is peak self-care IMO

Goal 2 - Drink more water (64 oz a day, refill every bathroom trip)-✔️- Yep! I've been sucking at tracking quantity but I know I drank a lot of water yesterday because I was dehydrated from beer the previous day lol.

Goal 3- Relax the brain, (cook or clean daily) -✔️- Dishessssssss. So yes. I am still failing on creative ideas for cooking stuff lately. I think I need to go read Serious Eats for some meal planning inspiration. I think I am super struggling with this because normally I can think of things that sound tasty and then I go look for recipes for them but I am in a serious food rut lately (see above-- all I want is pot pie. WHy? I do not know but whatever.)

Goal 4- Daily cardio -- No. See above. I ALREADY did some burpees today though so I will get this for my Tuesday update and then some. HUZZAH.

On 9/27/2020 at 4:53 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I love me some pot pies, but I am the only one in my family that enjoys them so I don't make them very often.  If we had the single serving frozen ones like we had when I was a kid I wouldobably have an entire freezer full of them :D 

I would so buy more but my freezer is kind of full of MEAT right now. (I buy a bunch of meat once a month ish from the local butcher which YAY but also hey no space for extra noms.)

• Like 2

On 9/25/2020 at 4:34 PM, dancezwithkittehz said:

Being older and giving less fucks about judgement from others is such a free-ing thing. (It only took more than 30 years to get here! Better late than never and better mid 30s than post retirement or something!)

+1. I’m starting to realize why so many people have told me they were happier in their 30s than their 20s.

On 9/29/2020 at 3:43 PM, dancezwithkittehz said:

Goal 3- Relax the brain, (cook or clean daily) -✔️- Dishessssssss. So yes. I am still failing on creative ideas for cooking stuff lately. I think I need to go read Serious Eats for some meal planning inspiration. I think I am super struggling with this because normally I can think of things that sound tasty and then I go look for recipes for them but I am in a serious food rut lately (see above-- all I want is pot pie. WHy? I do not know but whatever.)

I didn’t grow up with pot pies myself, so despite their objective deliciousness, I don’t usually gravitate toward them. (All my childhood memories seem to revolve around pasta and bread and salads.)

That said, what if you just brutally pare down the pot pie concept until it’s fairly easy? It’s basically just meat and veggies in gravy with flaky dough on top, right? If you want something high-protein and simpler to make, you could just deconstruct it a little. My first thought was: roast some chicken thighs, maybe with some broccoli or broccolini thrown in; make a quarter batch of Stella Parks’ biscuit recipe; and use some leftover flour and butter to make a little gravy while everything’s in the oven. Dump everything on a plate and toss the biscuit on top, and you’ve basically made yourself a quick pot pie.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PaulG said:

That said, what if you just brutally pare down the pot pie concept until it’s fairly easy? It’s basically just meat and veggies in gravy with flaky dough on top, right? If you want something high-protein and simpler to make, you could just deconstruct it a little. My first thought was: roast some chicken thighs, maybe with some broccoli or broccolini thrown in; make a quarter batch of Stella Parks’ biscuit recipe; and use some leftover flour and butter to make a little gravy while everything’s in the oven. Dump everything on a plate and toss the biscuit on top, and you’ve basically made yourself a quick pot pie.

That could work! I should definitely start experimenting. I'm also pretty fond of chicken and biscuits which hey, is basically more or less pot pie but biscuits instead of pie crust. I think I just need to go heavier on the meat to up the protein content because I'm pretty sure the store bought kind is a lot more butter and cream haha. I think also cutting up the chicken or whatever meat smaller would help. In the store bought ones they tend to be maybe 1/2 inch chunks which you can only fit so much of that in one space and it's easier to fit in more of tiny cut up stuff or shredded! And shredded meat is SUPER easy to make in instapot. HMMM. I HAVE IDEAS.

• Like 2

Also heyyyy I got behind on daily updates again. Week 1 of fall is brutal yo. I think I've been getting to most things except for the cardio is stiill kind of 50/50 if I remember!

I have actually gotten on a better regular sleep schedule at least for now with less insomnia so I consider that a win!!!!

• Like 3

Today in further accidental grocery adventures: I may have gotten 6 or 7 lbs of tomatoes (better than 9 lbs last time I did that) plus TWENTY large portabellas (4 packs instead of 4 individual portabellas.)  Anyone have good mushroom recipe ideas? The tomatoes I will just eat for all snacks ever. 🤣

ETA: so uh... I decided to actually check the weight on the tomatoes and it was right around 9 lbs again. Oops! They spread it over 5 bags so it seemed like less! Time for tomato everything....

• Like 1

Chicken pot pie with mushroom gravy? :D

I see mushroom pastas with tomato sauce in your future.

I see Thai mushroom salad in your future, possibly!

And riffing on that, you could use those shrooms as a steak replacement in almost any steak salad type recipe. There’s a Bon Appétit recipe that’s hanger steak with charred scallion sauce, I think, those flavors would probably go great with mushrooms too.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 6:50 PM, dancezwithkittehz said:

I have actually gotten on a better regular sleep schedule at least for now with less insomnia so I consider that a win!!!!

Oh HECK yes. Sleep is so critical to, well, everything else. This is fabulous news, and I hope it continues for you!

On 10/1/2020 at 1:25 PM, PaulG said:

+1. I’m starting to realize why so many people have told me they were happier in their 30s than their 20s.

So much so. Also, 40s is even better, and I have insider information that the 50s and 60s continue the trend of the lack of f*cks given. 

On 9/29/2020 at 6:43 PM, dancezwithkittehz said:

Goal 1 - Sun Time (sun lamp or actual sun daily) -✔️- Yep! I also spent some time laying in a sunbeam cuddling a cat which is peak self-care IMO

You are my hero for this one. I need to get on this. The cat cuddling in the sun sound freaking amazing. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 11:35 AM, PaulG said:

Chicken pot pie with mushroom gravy? :D

I see mushroom pastas with tomato sauce in your future.

I see Thai mushroom salad in your future, possibly!

And riffing on that, you could use those shrooms as a steak replacement in almost any steak salad type recipe. There’s a Bon Appétit recipe that’s hanger steak with charred scallion sauce, I think, those flavors would probably go great with mushrooms too.

I now want to eat all of these things like right now.... lol. 

I'm wondering if I made the toasted sticky rice powder for the thai mushroom salad with calrose if that would work. I know it's not quite as sticky but it's at least somewhat glutinous AND I always have a 5lb bag because it's my favorite rice for everything. I also have dried chiles that aren't the specific chile they say to use for the toasted chili which I am thinking would work worth trying because heyyyy then I don't have to buy anything except shallot, mint, cilantro, lemongrass (actually I have dried lemongrass powder actually but that might be weird)

• Like 1

I once again did not do updates over the weekend because uh, I never do, but as usual kept up with most things except that cardio goal which I keep completely forgetting about. Oops. We had a heat wave for the last 4 days or so so getting myself to do ANY exercise was sort of torture and I kept it to a minimum. I think I should probably just abandon that cardio goal since my mental health has still been better in spite of me failing to get to it most days and that was the whole point of this challenge, so WIN.

Also HEYYYYY I may have also paid off my credit cards this weekend. I planned to wait until my next pay check but I was SO CLOSE that I decided to shift around some money from my other budget areas (like, $200 in total to pay off the remaining balance on both cards and I've spent $200 on far less useful things so many times in life. lol.) SO CLOSE TO DEBT FREEEEE. All I have left is student loans which is maybe $400 or so left so I could even just go nuts and pay that off next check if I want. Well I mean I still have the mortgage but I don't count that.

Also, to share some important wisdom from last night, stepping on a push pin is in fact NOT a good way to relax for bed time. I decided I needed one more water refill before going to sleep because my fan was making my cough from dry air and MY FOOT FOUND A PIN. I do not know why it was there other than I assume it fell off one of my walls. DO NOT WANT. Also thank you bactine for your lidocaine goodness because that hurt but I still definitely was up a whole other hour to calm down from foot stabbing. I can has sleep please?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

Also HEYYYYY I may have also paid off my credit cards this weekend. I planned to wait until my next pay check but I was SO CLOSE that I decided to shift around some money from my other budget areas (like, $200 in total to pay off the remaining balance on both cards and I've spent $200 on far less useful things so many times in life. lol.) SO CLOSE TO DEBT FREEEEE. All I have left is student loans which is maybe $400 or so left so I could even just go nuts and pay that off next check if I want. Well I mean I still have the mortgage but I don't count that.

tenor.gif?itemid=12965292

That's freaking awesome, congrats!

Boo to the foot puncturing saga.... hope that gets better quickly. Foot pain is no joke. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

tenor.gif?itemid=13056468

22 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

I'm wondering if I made the toasted sticky rice powder for the thai mushroom salad with calrose if that would work. I know it's not quite as sticky but it's at least somewhat glutinous AND I always have a 5lb bag because it's my favorite rice for everything. I also have dried chiles that aren't the specific chile they say to use for the toasted chili which I am thinking would work worth trying because heyyyy then I don't have to buy anything except shallot, mint, cilantro, lemongrass (actually I have dried lemongrass powder actually but that might be weird)

If you’re going to make the toasted rice powder — which I think is an optional flair but I’ll totally get behind, because it’s tasty — my pro tip is to sub in the recipe from Sasha Marx over at Serious Eats. Marx did some great work last year on a few Thai staple recipes, and I like that recipe in particular for its mythbusting. For example, despite what Ricker says in his books and that Epicurious article, soaking the rice won’t do you any good — it just slows down the toasting, so I always toast dry rice.

I don’t think either of them address it in their articles, but you can totally sub out Calrose rice for the sticky. Cooks from Northern or Northeast Thailand usually use sticky rice, but I have seen quite a few recipes from folks like Leela Punyaratabandhu (who grew up in Bangkok) call for toasting jasmine rice, or they say that which kind you use doesn’t matter. My guess is the recipe writers are just calling for whatever kind of rice they tend to have on hand (sticky rice is much more common in the North), so I’m sure Calrose will work well.

That toasted chile powder is also optional, and since it’s supposed to be kind of coarse rather than a fine powder, chile flakes like you’d use on pizza is a fine sub. I fully support making it though. Once I made my first batch, I found I loved the smoky flavor it added to food and I stopped stocking chile flakes altogether — instead I make that toasted chile powder and it goes in everything that calls for chile flakes, like pasta sauces, Spanish dishes, etc. Puya chiles are just a slightly hotter variant of guajillos, so don’t feel chained to the exact recipe. I’ve also used regular guajillos, with a few arbols thrown in to up the heat.

8 hours ago, Manarelle said:

tenor.gif?itemid=12965292

That's freaking awesome, congrats!

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Boo to the foot puncturing saga.... hope that gets better quickly. Foot pain is no joke. 

Luckily it feels way better today. YAY. I skipped split squats yesterday since I figured that would not feel good. Also I have dance today so stabby ouch foot would not have been fun though to be fair I have danced with fucking GLASS IN MY FOOT in a rehearsal once (just. oww. no. Also I would like to personally curse whoever failed at sweeping that back stage area because I had to get my foot stabbed with a needle to numb it in order for my doctor to cut into my super thick dancer callus and get out the tiny piece of glass. Do not recommend.)

6 hours ago, PaulG said:

If you’re going to make the toasted rice powder — which I think is an optional flair but I’ll totally get behind, because it’s tasty — my pro tip is to sub in the recipe from Sasha Marx over at Serious Eats. Marx did some great work last year on a few Thai staple recipes, and I like that recipe in particular for its mythbusting. For example, despite what Ricker says in his books and that Epicurious article, soaking the rice won’t do you any good — it just slows down the toasting, so I always toast dry rice.

I MUST do the bells and whistles because both toasted rice and smokey peppers sound amazing! Also that is even extra easy if I don't need to soak and then dry the rice which did sound kind of redundant lol.  And good to know calrose should work!! I would think since you are toasting and then grinding it the specific level of glutinous or not would not be important and I am glad to confirm!!!

I actually did have some smokey pepper flakes blend already from Flat Iron Pepper Co that I bet would have been perfect and smokey but without me having to make it myself but I think we ate all of it already lol. I do definitely have standard red pepper flakes around (plus a few interesting red pepper flake blends from Flat Iron just not any left of the smokey one.)  P.S. If you like interesting pepper flakes I highly recommend checking them out. All the ones I've tried are delicious though I have not been brave enough to get their stupidly spicy blend  that they make since their standard one is already FAR spicier than a standard red pepper flake you buy at the store!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

I actually did have some smokey pepper flakes blend already from Flat Iron Pepper Co that I bet would have been perfect and smokey but without me having to make it myself but I think we ate all of it already lol. I do definitely have standard red pepper flakes around (plus a few interesting red pepper flake blends from Flat Iron just not any left of the smokey one.)  P.S. If you like interesting pepper flakes I highly recommend checking them out. All the ones I've tried are delicious though I have not been brave enough to get their stupidly spicy blend  that they make since their standard one is already FAR spicier than a standard red pepper flake you buy at the store!

Sounds tasty! I'll have to check it out... though their level of spice sounds intimidating...

Let me know how it goes! The first time I made it I didn't toast the rice nearly enough, it's fussy stuff and takes longer than you'd think. It took me three tries over a few months to get it brown enough that I got a strong toasty flavor -- but Marx has really good photos in his recipe for reference, so I'm sure you'll do great. I'll keep an eye out for the report when you try the salad!

16 hours ago, PaulG said:

Sounds tasty! I'll have to check it out... though their level of spice sounds intimidating...

Let me know how it goes! The first time I made it I didn't toast the rice nearly enough, it's fussy stuff and takes longer than you'd think. It took me three tries over a few months to get it brown enough that I got a strong toasty flavor -- but Marx has really good photos in his recipe for reference, so I'm sure you'll do great. I'll keep an eye out for the report when you try the salad!

I'll approach this the same way I do if I want a really deep brown but not burnt roux! Low heat and patience to develop those nutty roasty flavors!

Today I am making some panzanella because I have some french bread that is too hard to eat sliced AND I have ridiculous amounts of tomatoes. Doing the Kenji recipe more or less but sub dried basil for fresh because I didn't think to buy any fresh (I'll add the dried basil to the drained tomato juice that becomes the dressing base):

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/09/classic-panzanella-salad-recipe.html

• Like 2

Today I am making some panzanella because I have some french bread that is too hard to eat sliced AND I have ridiculous amounts of tomatoes. Doing the Kenji recipe more or less but sub dried basil for fresh because I didn't think to buy any fresh (I'll add the dried basil to the drained tomato juice that becomes the dressing base):

That looks freaking delicious. I’ve never tried a bread salad, that seems like a good excuse for me to bake some bread and not eat it fast enough...

This week in hilarious me adventures, I managed to accidentally dye my hair ginger when I meant to dye it green 🤣

(A cautionary tale in HOW PIGMENTED oxblood dye is compared to lime green. Lol)

PICS OR IT DIDN’T HAPPEN

• Haha 2