CaffeineHead Joins the Warriors

Hey Everyone,

Starting the 2nd challenge as a Warrior. These are the goals for the 2nd challenge:

1. Squat 325 lbs and power clean 165 lbs (my current BW): The squat is by far my favorite exercise and the one exercise that I'm putting the most emphasis on. I've been working around knee tendonitis for the past few years and limited my squatting to 2x a week. But the past challenge I started squatting 4x a week (primarily doing tempo squats) and had really good results regarding progress and little to no aggravation w/ my knee, so the plan is to keep up the 4x/week squat routine. 

2. Clean up the diet: I definitely have perfected the "Clean & Junk" diet since March when the pandemic started, and my goal is to start decreasing the junk, especially the snack foods, and increasing the clean.

3. Swim every weekend for at least 1 hour: I used to swim regularly on my off-days from lifting, and it really helped w/ keeping the soreness down. I haven't swam much at all the past two years, and this challenge should be a good time to start diving back into the water again.

4. Work on improving my yard/keeping leaves under control: I bought my house back in May, and while the house itself is great, the yard needs some serious work. There's quite a bit of brush and landscape debris that needs to be removed as well as poisonous plants (ivy and oak). I have a good amount of tree cover over my property, and this fall is going to involve some serious leaf collections on a regular basis. My goal is to keep the leaves under control and continue to clean up the yard.

Hope everyone has a good challenge and continues to rack up the weight.

• Like 4

@Scaly Freak That is a good question. Right now, my main junk food item (and the primary item driving that goal) is Cheez-Its. I can easily go through a family box-size in a week. I actually did not consume those at all prior to the pandemic, but once that started, I just lost my discipline. Clean for me would be rice & chicken, spinach, carrots, bananas, blueberries, etc. Junk would be fast-food, snacky foods that don't have much nutritional value, and foods that are very high in sugar. But, those are just my personal identifications. Nutrition is definitely a subjective item.

@Harriet I'm lifting at my gym--it's actually very quiet even in the 4-6 PM time period where traffic is usually quite high. I have no problem getting a rack and platform to myself.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Mr.CaffeineHead said:

@Scaly Freak That is a good question. Right now, my main junk food item (and the primary item driving that goal) is Cheez-Its. I can easily go through a family box-size in a week. I actually did not consume those at all prior to the pandemic, but once that started, I just lost my discipline. Clean for me would be rice & chicken, spinach, carrots, bananas, blueberries, etc. Junk would be fast-food, snacky foods that don't have much nutritional value, and foods that are very high in sugar. But, those are just my personal identifications. Nutrition is definitely a subjective item.

It definitely is!

For me personally it helps to think of food as fuel of various concentration levels. A piece of candy has a very low concentration of useful nutrients, so candy is low quality fuel. Carrots, beef, and the food you mentioned as examples of "clean eating" all have a higher concentration of useful nutrients per ounce, so they are high quality fuel. It is fine to eat candy every now and then, but majority of what I fuel my body with on a daily basis, needs to be high-concentration fuel.

And oh lord I miss barbells. :(