• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigs

Maigs Fakes it 'Till She Makes it

Well....it's been a helluva year huh? Like a lot of people I've been riding the struggle bus. I tell myself about once a week that I'm done and need to get back into good habits and on average that lasts about 2 hours. And I'm getting real sick of being on this uncomfortable ride to somewhere I don't want to be.

So I'm starting over. And over. And over. Until it actually sticks and I can quit feeling like the fat sack of crap I'm letting myself turn into.

Goals:

Food - Quit eating like an asshole

I've been doing a lot of snacking and a lot of fast food. It's gotta stop. Eat real food that is mostly made at home

Exercise - Get my ass to the gym at least twice a week

At the beginning of the year I was going to the gym 4 times a week. Then tax season hit. Then COVID hit. Then tax season NEVER FUCKING ENDED (spoiler, it's still tax season for CPAs). Now I'm just sucking and have only been going about once a week. I LIKE the gym. A LOT. And hitting things might make me less likely to hit people. So just fucking go

Stretching/mobility - Don't fucking hurt yourself by not working out the kinks

My right hip and shoulder are janky. Probably nothing serious, but I need to keep up on stretches and using the evil peanut massage ball thing so it doesn't become something serious

Productivity - Just get the shit done

My anxiety has been running rampant because I've been behind on everything. Unfortunately, my response to anxiety is to freeze up and not do a damn thing. Super healthy. I'm finally starting to get caught up at work and at home which makes it easier to keep doing the stuff that needs done. A wrench we decided to throw into this is (......drumroll......) we're moving next month! We're buying a 100 year old house in the country that will need a fair amount of work and selling our townhome that has already been completely renovated. So my to-do list is going to explode. I'm really excited because I love this house, but I'm scared at what this is going to do to my anxiety (and to my finances....). Daily to-do lists are my friend and need to be made and worked through

e6b40062238903a2be82cf478b8f998e.jpg

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Maigs said:

I tell myself about once a week that I'm done and need to get back into good habits and on average that lasts about 2 hours. And I'm getting real sick of being on this uncomfortable ride to somewhere I don't want to be.

I know we share a birthday, but GET OUT OF MY HEAD, lol.  This is my constant inner dialogue 

25 minutes ago, Maigs said:

We're buying a 100 year old house in the country that will need a fair amount of work

This is SO EXCITING!  Congrats!!!

26 minutes ago, Maigs said:

Daily to-do lists are my friend and need to be made and worked through

I need to get back in this habit too.

Best of luck with your challenge!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fearless 2.0 said:

Congrats on the new (old) house! And have fun during this challenge!! :)

7 minutes ago, Novaurora said:

This is SO EXCITING!  Congrats!!!

Thanks! And to clarify, my "needs a fair amount of work" I mean in my crazy world where things can always be optimized. The house is actually in really good shape with a brand new kitchen and bathrooms. But we've spent the last 5 years getting our current place just how we like it and now we're starting all over with the customing and optimizing

9 minutes ago, Novaurora said:

I know we share a birthday, but GET OUT OF MY HEAD, lol.  This is my constant inner dialogue

Lol! I'm guessing it's a lot of people's inner dialogue, especially lately. But gorrammit I'm 30lbs heavier than I was this time last year and flirting with an obese BMI again and I'm tired of being here!

11 minutes ago, Novaurora said:

I need to get back in this habit too.

Lists (when done right...) are so helpful. I'm taking 2 days off next week and have a massive list of things to work through to prep for the new house (finding contractors/tradesmen) and prepping to sell the current place (scrub and purge EVERYTHING). Wish me luck!

• Like 2

Oh wow, congrats on the new house!!

And yes, get yourself to the gym. You love it, and going will make everything else easier.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Right there with you on the having to quit all the snacking.

Good luck on beating the snacking!

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Congrats on the house!

38 minutes ago, Xena said:

Oh wow, congrats on the new house!!

Thanks!!

38 minutes ago, Xena said:

And yes, get yourself to the gym. You love it, and going will make everything else easier.

I went today!

28 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Have you explored the area around your new home yet? Is it very far from where you live now?

The address is the same (small) city, about 9 miles from our current place and on the same side of town. But it's about 2 miles outside of the actual city so the area around it includes 3 neighbors and a gravel road :D 

• Like 4

Week 1 Sunday

Food - Not great, but not horrible. I wasn't very hungry so I didn't eat much, but a lot of my calories were in sugar. This was semi-planned though. We're out of our preferred (nearly zero calorie) caffeine source and won't get any until Wednesday so I had a Dr. Pepper in the morning to avoid a withdrawal headache. Then I had bought a farewell pint of ice cream Saturday which I finished off last night. Oh, and breakfast was a couple pieces of leftover pizza. Other than that all I had was a granola bar, some chips and salsa (homemade by a friend) and a small amount of chex mix. So not good choices, but overall calories were probably where I want to be. And now we're nearly out of the junk food in the house

Exercise - I made it to kickboxing. Sunday's actually been my main day to go lately so this isn't anything too special. But I went a kicked butt bag

Mobility - spent some time with the foam roller and peanut. I slept funny so my shoulder was being back to wonky, but after making what felt like ligaments popping back in place it was a lot better. I did some work on my hip and general lower body too

Sanity - My house is mostly clean. But Hubs did most of the work since he had his work buddies over for game night. Also sent out some emails asking for recommendations on contractors and equipment

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Maigs said:

My house is mostly clean. But Hubs did most of the work

This sounds good 🙂

2 hours ago, Xena said:

This sounds good 🙂

He's a pretty good guy and has really stepped up with my longer hours. I'm glad I've kept him around so long :)

26ac059d5893260481d973b35d3b2a01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Week 1 Monday

Food- Other than a ridiculous amount of soda today's food was good. Breakfast was a granola bar. Lunch was a veggie wrap and chips. Dinner was a mexican soup (homemade) with tortilla chips. I had a Bueno because I'm still stupidly excited each time I see them even though they're getting common here now. And 52oz of Dr Pepper. Until that last sentence I would be super happy with the day

Exercise-  Since we're braving the movies tomorrow to watch New Mutants (they seem to have policies in place for appropriate social distancing) I decided to hit the gym again tonight. For the first time since March I didn't feel like I was going to die. I'm still skimping on the active rests (30 seconds between rounds where they call out something like jumping jacks to do) fairly often to keep/get my heart rate out of the red but I'm able to keep going during the rounds better than I had been

Stretching/Mobility- more foam rolling, torture by peanut ball, and hip stretches happened. One of the exercises at the gym was to do situps with your legs in the butterfly position and that felt surprisingly good and helped stretch out my hip a bit

Sanity- Did one of the ugly tasks at work today that I'd been putting off for a while (involved calling people 🤮). Also made a small to-do list for home and while I didn't do as much as I'd hoped I did get another task done that I'd been putting off for too long (figuring out the dimensions of our dog kennel so I could offer to give it to a woman who works with local rescues. She's picking it up this week). And I did dishes, laundry, and made the bed so I can keep pretending to be a functioning adult

202a6ed290f8906b97046a0a516a9b28.jpg

• Like 4

Week 1 Tuesday

Yesterday was a hot mess goal-wise. No goals were even close to being met and food was ridiculous. We're going to move in without dwelling on it

b5aba8013248222eb6e574649c6080f8.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/13/2020 at 3:49 AM, Maigs said:

My anxiety has been running rampant because I've been behind on everything. Unfortunately, my response to anxiety is to freeze up and not do a damn thing. Super healthy.

Wow, this sounds familiar! Hope that it gets easier for you, and if you find a solution (other than just getting the work done) let me know!

On 9/14/2020 at 1:30 AM, Maigs said:

But it's about 2 miles outside of the actual city so the area around it includes 3 neighbors and a gravel road :D 

That sounds glorious.

2 hours ago, Maigs said:

We're going to move in without dwelling on it

Good plan, just keep on moving!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jarric said:

Wow, this sounds familiar! Hope that it gets easier for you, and if you find a solution (other than just getting the work done) let me know!

Work is finally slowing down so I'll naturally start getting caught up soon. Then it'll be a matter of remembering that when things start coming in they don't stop so don't let the initial stuff languish or I'll quickly be overwhelmed.

4 hours ago, Jarric said:

That sounds glorious.

Thanks! I'm really excited. Hubs and I both grew up out in the country but have lived in town since we got married at 18. Not just in town, but every single place we have lived has been on the same road as a fire station so we hear far to much Wee-Woo's (not constant by any means, but too much for my tastes)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maigs said:

Thanks! I'm really excited. Hubs and I both grew up out in the country but have lived in town since we got married at 18. Not just in town, but every single place we have lived has been on the same road as a fire station so we hear far to much Wee-Woo's (not constant by any means, but too much for my tastes)

Oh wow, I can see why you're so excited. I'm in a small town now, but it's a 10 minute walk and I'm out in fields and forests, and I really value that.

• Like 2

Week 1 Wednesday

Yesterday went much like Tuesday. Food wasn't as much of a dumpster fire, we got out caffeine delivery Tuesday night so no soda, but most of my calories came from a huge cinabon and a less huge cinabon 

5528c13e4e61bf25a83ccf7f26bd1146.jpg

Week 1 Thursday

Back on track! I took the day off work and used it well to relax, but still stay on goal

Food - I ate three reasonably sized meals with no snacks. I don't know what my overall calories were since we went to a local place for lunch, but my sandwich and fries seemed reasonable and we didn't get sodas

Exercise - Made it to kickboxing. It was kinda weird to go at 11:30am when it was basically empty (one person was finishing up as I got there and another showed up as I was nearly done) but it was a good workout regardless.

Stretching/Mobility - I did not do this. No excuse, just didn't get around to it

Sanity - Hubs brought home some boxes from work and we started packing up the stuff we can live without for a month or two. I also dropped off the tile remnants from our kitchen backsplash project off at the Habitat for Humanity Restore and Hubs decided to get rid of multiple binders of old DnD campaign printoffs

a2cea3efd8ce35666c4286a381442619.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xena said:

I know it's not Monday, but this is in the same spirit, and I really like it.

image.png

Yes! I love this! *saves picture for future motivation*

• Like 1

Week 1 Friday

It was a really good day (until I took a late evening nap and woke up to the world in a worse place, RIP RBG :( ). I had the day off work again, did some productive things, made it to the gym, and ate well.

Food - Food was good, 3 mostly reasonable meals made at home with no snacks or soda for about 1900 calories. Lunch was a bit much (burritos add up quickly apparently) but overall it came out fine

Exercise - Made it to the gym again and kicked ass. To measure the quality of your workout you get "Pulse Points" based on your heart rate zone (1 per minute in blue, 2 for green, 3 for yellow, and 1 for red). I spent almost the entire workout in the yellow zone and left with 87 points which is nearly a personal best

Stretching/Mobility - Not yet, but I will spend some time on the peanut before bed. My shoulder is better than it was last week, but still needs kept up on

Sanity - I got rid of the rest of the stuff that had been in my car for sale/donation for over a month and took out the recycling and compost (both go to dropoff sites) on my ideal weekly schedule instead of letting them get to overflowing first. And got homeowners insurance sorted out for the new house which involved a web chat and a phone call

7ff9fd3330e225e6877c77b7d00bf50b.jpg

• Like 1

Week 1 Saturday

More of the same. Food was decent, though we did get Taco Bell for lunch, I kept my order reasonable. I went to the gym again which makes 4 times this week for the first time since February at least. We got some more packing done, but that was the extent of my productivity. I got an email that my last OCR this year has officially been canceled (was originally postponed from June to October) and that next year's race is likely their last. It's a local mudrun and my favorite so I'm sad they're ending.

Food - total calories unknown since dinner was leftovers of something I haven't calc'd yet but probably under 2k

Exercise - Another kickboxing session and I did a good job of staying in the Yellow zone again, earning 85 Pulse Points

Stretching/Mobility - more shoulder work done. I really should work on my hip some more, but didn't today

Sanity - statues and dvd's are all packed up. Some basic cleaning happened. I'm falling back into an anxiety-filled mid-life crisis and have no idea how to address it. I'm less overwhelmed by all the things that need done and more overwhelmed by all the things I want to do but don't have time for

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maigs said:

Sanity - statues and dvd's are all packed up. Some basic cleaning happened. I'm falling back into an anxiety-filled mid-life crisis and have no idea how to address it. I'm less overwhelmed by all the things that need done and more overwhelmed by all the things I want to do but don't have time for

I feel you, sister!!!!!! :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Maigs said:

No real advice for you, but I've been impressed by how much you got done the past couple of days. One strategy might be to try to postpone some of the worries until after your move (obviously unless it's stuff that really does need to get done sooner). You've bit off a big chunk with moving. It would make sense to re-assess and prioritize some of the other stuff after.

• Like 1