• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigs

Maigs Fakes it 'Till She Makes it

4 hours ago, Xena said:

No real advice for you, but I've been impressed by how much you got done the past couple of days. One strategy might be to try to postpone some of the worries until after your move (obviously unless it's stuff that really does need to get done sooner). You've bit off a big chunk with moving. It would make sense to re-assess and prioritize some of the other stuff after.

Seconded. One of the best scheduling advice I've gotten is to write down the things you think of when you think of them. Then write into your schedule a time when you would be best able to look into them.

Ex. You think you'd like to join a swim club, and having to decide whether you can or should is another source of anxiety. So pick a date when things will have settled, ex. the second weekend in February. Write on your schedule "research swim clubs?" Now you let it go until the date. It's still going to be looked at so you don't need to worry that you are passing anything up, and you don't have it stressing you out now.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2020 at 5:07 PM, Xena said:

No real advice for you, but I've been impressed by how much you got done the past couple of days. One strategy might be to try to postpone some of the worries until after your move (obviously unless it's stuff that really does need to get done sooner). You've bit off a big chunk with moving. It would make sense to re-assess and prioritize some of the other stuff after.

Unfortunately I'm going to have even less time after the move than I've had before taking on that task since my commute will be longer and I'll actually have to take care of a yard (and a new want-to-do of learning how to not kill plants).

23 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Seconded. One of the best scheduling advice I've gotten is to write down the things you think of when you think of them. Then write into your schedule a time when you would be best able to look into them.

I'm am definitely a list person. Getting it down on paper helps keep it from continuously bouncing around in my head constantly interrupting my thoughts. But a lot of what I "should" and "want" to do are daily/regular things like eating well, gardening, better quality time with Hubs. Lists are great for one-off tasks, but I haven't figure out how to make them work for ongoing stuff

I think the overall answer is to have a job that is less hours and doesn't burn me completely out for 1/3 of the year. Which sucks because in general I really like the work and I like the people, but the time commitment is too much.

• Like 2

Week 2 Sunday

Well.... I thought I was doing okay (not great, but okay) for the day but it turns out large pizza is too many calories even if it's the only thing you ate for the day. We ordered breakfast pizzas, and because they have always failed horribly at doing half and half pizzas here (the sausage is always over the entire pizza) we each got our own and ate it for all three meals. Turns out that's still 3400 calories. On the upside I made it to the gym, went for a walk with Hubs, and had a random urge to see if I could still run a mile (yup) so not a total failure. I don't think I did anything particularly productive, some basic domestic rangering and played a board game with Hubs.

Food - Entire pizza and a tiny amount of gummies that are actually vegetarian (no gelatin)

Exercise - I did all the exercises. I didn't do as good of a job of staying out of the red zone this time. I don't think I've mentioned my ghost, but a random extra "fighter" ended up linked to my heart rate monitor so for the last two months whenever I've worked out "Hufflepuff" is there too. She's apparently younger than me because she gets into the different zones at a higher heart rate than "Mad Maigs". I've had fun trying to get Maigs into the yellow zone first and staying there to get more points under my account than the ghost. Well yesterday Hufflepuff kicked my butt and at one time had 10 more points than me (75 vs 65). I ended up with 75 total, not sure what Hufflepuff ended at (I don't get a summary email for her workout :P )

Stretching/Mobility - I don't think I did any....nope, don't remember stretching at all

Sanity - Nothing beyond basic house upkeep. Oh, I did cut the cats nails and tried to cut Floofs nails, but his clipper broke. I don't want to buy a new one since he's not going to be around much longer, but I think he'd have better grip on our hardwood floors with shorter nails. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that. It would be too traumatic for him to take him to a groomer

• Like 2

Week 2 Monday

Back to work. It was a nicely quiet day. Food was good, no snacking and no soda. I didn't add up the calories yet (though I could) but I'm pretty sure they're where I want to be. I went to kickboxing again since we're going to the movies tomorrow night and have DnD Wednesday. That makes 5 days in a row! I haven't stretched and likely won't before bed, I need to dry my hair and then I just want to sleep. I spent my lunch break working on a personal project for finance tracking which was nice. And I talked to a neighbor who may want to buy my current house as a rental which would be amazing (not holding my breath though, I don't know them at all so can't gauge how serious they are).

Food - PB&J oatmeal, leftover taco soup, udon with peanut butter sauce

Exercise - Made it to kickboxing. My ghost suddenly disappeared so I couldn't "compete" with her. The owner was there Saturday and Sunday and saw my ghost so he may have fixed it.

Mobility - not yet and probably not at all

Sanity - Made progress on my personal finance project. Work doesn't feel overwhelming now, though I definitely need to stay on it to keep it that way

• Like 3

Week 2 Tuesday

No goals were stuck to. We went to the movies again and saw Tenet, which was better than I expected. I went in with low expectations so that's not saying a whole lot, but I do kinda want to see it again and with subtitles. I like movies that make you think and that you pick up on a new things each time you watch them (two of my favorites are Memento and The Prestige). Food was atrocious and I did not exercise or stretch

I have been thinking about all those "should" and "want to" do's and (for today at least) I'm realizing that I need to just let a lot of them go. I decided to write down my goals for an ideal life and an ideal day and they basically came down to be healthy and have a clean house that isn't a project (i.e. set up my way with no "I wish"es) and a good relationship with Hubs. All the "shoulds" are things that I don't think I actually care enough to do (grow any of my own food, make more stuff from scratch, get stronk)

So basically my challenge goals are my life goals. Eat well, exercise some, don't get injured, and catch and keep up on the personal and work to-do lists without complicating them with unnecessary stuff. SIMPLIFY

Let see how long Rangerbrain lets me stick with just that....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Maigs said:

. I decided to write down my goals for an ideal life

I need to do this.  It's so hard to really get a clear picture of what's important when it's easy to get caught up swirling around the shoulds and "want tos"

My goals have been a bit slack recently too.  We'll get back to it!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Went to the movies sounds so exotic right now.

Right?! Our local chain has pleather loveseat recliners in all their theaters so they're only selling staggered pairs (so no one directly next to, in front of, or behind you). And they tape off all the seats between showings so they know for a fact which ones have been used and need sanitized. Unfortunately, now that they've pushed back Black Widow's release there's nothing set to come out that we want to see (or at all?) for quite a while

11 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I need to do this.  It's so hard to really get a clear picture of what's important when it's easy to get caught up swirling around the shoulds and "want tos"

Right? I went to write down my goals was surprised by how little had anything to do with my "shoulds" and "wannas"

Week 2 Wednesday

Well, I ate well, but that was the extent of my goal progress, but I had a very good reason. We sold our house! Okay, it's not actually sold sold, but it's under contract. The neighbors we talked to the other day really liked the place and so we talked back and forth a couple of times and agreed on a price and got a purchase agreement put together. We're not using realtors so they're getting a deal without it hurting our end number and they can be flexible on the closing date if repairs on the new place take longer than expected. So that's a huge load off my back to worry about

• Like 4

Catching up. In terms of simplicity, food has kinda moved to the back burner. I'm not going crazy but I'm not focusing on it for now. Exercise has been good. Sanity has been pretty good

I don't really remember what I did each day but I went to kickboxing Friday, Saturday, and Monday (making 12 workouts in a month for the first time since November or December). Food has been so-so. We got a little more packing done and used the local game store to magically turn 6 board games we didn't want (most never played) into one game we did want that is smaller than each of the 6 other games, so easier to pack :D I made some more progress on the personal finance tracking project and am nearly done with it and it makes me stupidly happy to have the info in a way where I can easily run reports and see graphs. I deleted some apps from my phone and unfollowed some stuff on social media that was causing unnecessary self-imposed complications/stress. And I spent a good hour or more falling down a rabbit hole on Youtube watching Melodika Bros (the guys in the video above) do hilarious but well done covers

• Like 1

Week 3 Tuesday

Was a pretty good day. Work was good and fairly productive. It was a rest day from the gym. After work I cleaned out the medicine cabinet and bathroom vanity of long-expired meds and some items that will never be used (less to pack) and got a couple of other minor to-do's off my list. Then Hubs and I played our new board game Sagrada, which I won :D Hubs stopped at the grocery store on his way home and bought us ice cream so I had a half-pint of mine and it was delicious. Other than that food was pretty good so I'm happy with that. 

• Like 2

Great job getting those workouts in!!  I feel you on the unfollowing and getting away from social media.  I am almost a week facebook free and life is good!  I thought making it through election season would be hard, but it's only showing me how much idle time I wasted on there since I don't really miss it.

I hope your packing continues going smoothly.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 9:10 PM, Novaurora said:

Great job getting those workouts in!!  I feel you on the unfollowing and getting away from social media.  I am almost a week facebook free and life is good!  I thought making it through election season would be hard, but it's only showing me how much idle time I wasted on there since I don't really miss it.

I hope your packing continues going smoothly.

Thanks!

I really wish I could get rid of FB completely but it is the only way I keep in touch with most of my immediate family (we're all phone haters :D ) I basically only keep IG to follow my gym and a guy biking around Europe with a cat (1Bike1World)

21 hours ago, Jarric said:

Hey @Maigs, hope the packing and moving stuff is going well?

We haven't really done any packing in the last week or so. Hubs got a couple more big boxes from work that I have specific plans for but just haven't gotten around to filling them. I'm mildly annoyed that we don't have a close date because the underwriters want a bank statement that isn't even out yet. Luckily we don't have any deadlines that we need to close by. And luckily we're pretty minimal so packing isn't as big a deal for us as it is for a lot of people. 

Fitnessing has been good. I've gone to the gym for the last 6 days in a row. 

Food has been about the same, not horrible, but not great. Weight hasn't budged

Mobility has been haphazard. I did get out the foam roller and peanut just last night. 

Sanity is okay. I'm keeping up well on the day to day stuff that can send me into a spiral,. But I can't seem to work on the "would be nice to do" list even when I just pick one or two things from it

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Maigs said:

I'm keeping up well on the day to day stuff that can send me into a spiral,. But I can't seem to work on the "would be nice to do" list even when I just pick one or two things from it

I threw away my 'nice to do' list in the end; it was just stressing me out watching the list get longer and longer and it wasn't getting done any quicker than if the list didn't exist! I'll probably pick it up again one day, but if I don't I guess those things weren't that important?

• Like 1

Hey Maigs, I'm back. I hope to be here longer this time. Wanted to say hi! I'm not going to try and catch up on everything, but I'm paying attention from here on out! lol. 

I hope you are doing well! 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 9:29 AM, Jarric said:

I threw away my 'nice to do' list in the end; it was just stressing me out watching the list get longer and longer and it wasn't getting done any quicker than if the list didn't exist! I'll probably pick it up again one day, but if I don't I guess those things weren't that important?

Well, the "nice to do" list is actually a "needs done, just not yet but it would be nice to do when I'm not in a crunch" list. And it's a mental list that just cycles constantly in the background whether I want it to or not. A fun symptom of anxiety

On 10/7/2020 at 9:27 PM, Xena said:

Congrats on selling the house, and thanks for posting the video. It made me smile.

Thanks! And I'm glad someone else got enjoyment out of my rabbit hole. I showed it to Hubs and he didn't understand. He did agree that he likes covers that aren't just a carbon copy of the original but didn't understand my mirth at Melodika

22 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

Hey Maigs, I'm back. I hope to be here longer this time. Wanted to say hi! I'm not going to try and catch up on everything, but I'm paying attention from here on out! lol. 

I hope you are doing well! 

Rhia! Glad to see you back. TLDR is I'm up 30ish pounds and in the process of buying a new place and selling our current. Hopefully it all goes smoothly, but we're buying a 100 year old farmhouse so who knows what surprises we'll find

• Like 2

Maigs Makes a Late Challenge Change in Her Goals

I always say that I should pick one goal at a time but can never do it because *rangerbrain*. Well, if I had just picked one goal at a time to focus on, I'd be a full fledged badass by now. So, on that note, for the rest of October I have two goals:

1) No soda

2) Don't let other bad habits increase while not drinking soda

I tend to let other bad habits creep in while trying to cut something out and I don't want to do that. So while I'm not looking to go out to eat less or buy less candy, I don't want to have either more often to compensate for not having soda. Luckily soda is the only think I like to drink that has calories so I don't have to worry about replacing it with juice/sugary coffee/alcohol/etc

I've been kicking ass on the kickboxing though. I took Thursday as a deliberate rest day but I've gone every other day so far in October. I love going, I just let anxiety keep me out when tax season/COVID broke the habit earlier this year

• Like 2

On 10/9/2020 at 10:12 AM, Maigs said:

Rhia! Glad to see you back. TLDR is I'm up 30ish pounds and in the process of buying a new place and selling our current. Hopefully it all goes smoothly, but we're buying a 100 year old farmhouse so who knows what surprises we'll find

I'm up a lot of weight too. I think it's due to the pandemic and my emotions going crazy. We can do this though. We just have to push through the suck. 

A new house?! How exciting! I hope it goes fairly smoothly and you enjoy your "new" home! 

On 10/10/2020 at 10:35 PM, Maigs said:

I tend to let other bad habits creep in while trying to cut something out and I don't want to do that.

I have this problem too. I way over compensate. It's hard to find that balance and not go overboard on other things. 

On 10/10/2020 at 10:35 PM, Maigs said:

I've been kicking ass on the kickboxing though. I took Thursday as a deliberate rest day but I've gone every other day so far in October. I love going, I just let anxiety keep me out when tax season/COVID broke the habit earlier this year

Kickboxing sounds fun! Glad you're getting back into the swing of it! 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 3:07 PM, Xena said:

Seems like a reasonable addition. Good luck!

I've been saying for a long time that I would be so much further ahead if I concentrated on one just adding one new thing a month (or more if needed) than what I've been doing, so fuck it, I'm doing one thing!

4 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

A new house?! How exciting! I hope it goes fairly smoothly and you enjoy your "new" home! 

Other than normal-ish bs with underwriting things are fairly smooth so far. The current owners put on a new roof and completely renovated the kitchen and bathrooms in the last 3 years so we shouldn't have to worry about those. We want to upgrade the HVAC and somehow make the floors and stairs not squeak pretty quickly (preferably before moving in...) but hopefully those won't take too long

5 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

I have this problem too. I way over compensate. It's hard to find that balance and not go overboard on other things. 

Ugh, it's so hard sometimes. "Oh, I can't have sweets, well potato chips aren't sweet!" - me, a person who doesn't normally eat any chips

5 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

Kickboxing sounds fun! Glad you're getting back into the swing of it! 

really enjoy it. And my gym (which is a chain, 9Round) is really good about making it "easy" in that they plan out the workout for you each day and the trainers are really good at scaling things if needed or pulling back if your heart rate gets too high (we wear monitors and it's up on a screen so you and the trainer can see). Plus it's really good for me because there's no class time, you just show up and jump in. During busy times I have no idea when I'll get off work from day to day so it's nice to know that as long as I can get out the door by 7:30pm I can get in a workout