Toddley's reset challenge

Greetings and salutations! So, I'm a professional firefighter and my schedule (and work stress) leaves something to be desired in maintaining a "normal" lifestyle. Even so, I have a lot of "used to" phrases in my vocabulary that I'd like to decrease the frequency of use (used to be a gymnast, used to do martial arts, etc.). I've also noticed that I seem to be trending toward becoming a statistic in my chosen occupation with the weight gain, rising blood pressure, PTSD, and more. It's time for a reset and to remember the past but move forward from this moment. So, without further ado...

Nutrition: Portion control and no more late night snacking

- Portion is a big problem at work since we cook such excellent meals that I find myself eating beyond being full to the point of being uncomfortable. Thankfully I haven't vomited in my breathing mask in a fire yet, and I'd like to keep it that way.

- For some reason I've recently found myself being hungry shortly after going to bed to the point of getting up and grabbing a snack. Of course it's a less-than-healthy snack too. I really want to stop doing this late at night and generally stay away from snack foods. I certainly should avoid grocery shopping when I'm hungry.

- I live alone so a lot of my meals tend to be microwaveable. I can cook fairly well but cooking for 1 is a bit of a pain. I would like to start by cooking 1 meal a week at home.

Fitness: Just do it damn it!

- I've been active for much of my life and find dedicated fitness routines to be somewhat cumbersome compared to having an active lifestyle. Unfortunately I'm no longer coaching gymnastics and don't have access to a gym and equipment for one of my most enjoyable activities. 

- My goal is to complete the beginner bodyweight workout at least 3x/week.

Level up my life: Complete a portion of my portfolio

- Ok, so I'm 44 and went back to college 2 years ago to finish my undergrad and chose to study linguistics. Don't worry, I won't be judging your grammar or spelling. Actually, I will be judging your grammar and spelling but I won't say anything about it. Linguists observe, not correct. Anyways, I'm done with my classes and want to start grad school but I have 1 final hurdle and that is to complete and defend a portfolio. Honestly, I've just been eating a big plate of laziness with a side of avoidance. There are several parts to this portfolio so my goal here is to complete 1 part during this challenge.

I hope I did this correctly. Any advice toward tweaking would be appreciated. Cheers!

• Like 4

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Nelson Mandela

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." -Walt Disney

Challenges: 1

I'm enjoying visualizing a firefighting linguist!  One of my sons had a double major in biology and linguistics, so it sorta makes sense. Let me know what you figure out to do with your linguistics degree!

Your goals are good - finishing a part of the portfolio, doing at least 3 workouts per week, portion control.

Your plan of cooking one meal a week at home is a good step toward healthier eating- feels like you should specify to yourself if and how this will help with portion control. 

I've tried lots of ways to manage stress. emotional, and just mindless eating habits- recording all food, pictures of the food...none of these fit my personality.  That's what I am most working on now.  What I am doing, which is working so far (2 weeks) is to adopt the strict rule that I can eat whatever I want, but I have to plate it, sit down at the table and do nothing but eat it. This eliminates all mindless eating- it's been like a miracle.

Interested to follow you- I've always been overweight and a secret goal of mine is to be able to do any gymnastic move at all, starting with just a pullup!

Update #1  -  Just so I'm clear (because it's a little confusing), there is talk of 4-week and 5-week challenges. From what I've gleaned, the 5-week challenge is a 1-week planning followed by a 4-week enacting of said plan?

Nutrition: 

So, I was chatting with one of the guys at work that has similar opinions to me regarding fitness and he mentioned intermittent fasting. I've done a little research on this current trend and am still not sure how I feel about it, however, it does seem to work with one of my goals of avoiding midnight snacking. My co-worker starts eating at 11am and stops at 8pm eating nothing but dinner 2 days a week. I don't think this will work for me at this time so my plan is to try to follow the 11-8 plan with the main point to be eating NOTHING after 8pm. If I'm absolutely famished, I have protein shakes and a dehydrated vegetable powder (tastes slightly better than it sounds). I still have to read the nutrition information on NF but I'll get that done this week. 

Fitness:

First things first, in order to workout, one needs space. I cleared up a nice area and organized my fitness gear yesterday (I was in this process for about a week) so I'm all ready to go. I've always been one of those people that skipped or shortened the warm-up before working out even with knowing that I shouldn't. This week I'm planning on following the warm-up video on NF and mentally making that an integral part of my daily life.

Level Up: 

Just like with fitness, one needs space to accomplish a task. I organized my desk (another process I was already involved in) and "office" area...mostly. Still needs a few tweaks but I can definitely get some work done here as long as I can avoid the looming PlayStation. Quite the exercise in will power, however, my plan if I can no longer contain myself is to set a timer for gaming. The more work I get done, the more I can play.

Cheers! 

• Like 3

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Nelson Mandela

On 9/13/2020 at 6:57 AM, Mosasaurus said:

I'm enjoying visualizing a firefighting linguist!  

I try to keep those activities separate. ;)  

Let me know what you figure out to do with your linguistics degree!

It's such an amazing and broad field that it's hard to choose in what I'm most interested. Right now I'm in the process of developing a scientific methodology for rapid language acquisition for adult language learners. The beginning stages work well with Latin and Germanic language families but I have much more research to do. I'm also fascinated with historical linguistics and have written a paper questioning if there is a British Celtic and early Latin influence that carried over from before the recognized "beginning" of the English language in ~499 CE. Now my nerd is showing!

I've always been overweight and a secret goal of mine is to be able to do any gymnastic move at all

gymnastic comes from the Latin gymnasticus meaning "pertaining to athletic exercise" and originally from the Greek gymnastikos meaning "fond of or skilled in bodily exercise." So, if you really look at the word, if you've done any kind of sport or physical activity, you've done a gymnastic move. Now, if you're referring to artistic or rhythmic gymnastics or sports acro, then that's a different story, but remember, much of what you see those athletes perform are at a high to elite level and gymnastics has one of he highest work:performance ratios of any sport. However, I'm happy to offer advice on any "move" with which you're struggling.

On 9/13/2020 at 12:30 PM, Toddley said:

used to be a gymnast, used to do martial arts, etc

I feel you on these.  a few years ago I was in this same position thinking back on the good old days when I was on active duty military and in great shape (OK, reasonable shape - I was rear echelon after all :) ).  Or the time before that when I was on my high school diving team and really was in excellent shape.  Fast forward 20+ years and I had really let myself go.  Finding NF and the support here really helped me get back to a good place both mentally and physically and now I am enjoying a lot of new things that I only dreamed about doing (gymnastics, parkour, etc.)

20 hours ago, Toddley said:

Just so I'm clear (because it's a little confusing), there is talk of 4-week and 5-week challenges. From what I've gleaned, the 5-week challenge is a 1-week planning followed by a 4-week enacting of said plan?

It is a 1 week prep and 5 weeks of implementations.  I usually skip the one week and just do 6 week challenges, though.  It is really up to you how you want to do it.  Finding a system that works is way more important than following whatever schedule we have here.

19 hours ago, Toddley said:

Right now I'm in the process of developing a scientific methodology for rapid language acquisition for adult language learners

Nothing better than living in country surrounded by native speakers (at least based on my experience having gone through 3 different accelerated language programs) 

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 9:30 PM, Toddley said:

I live alone so a lot of my meals tend to be microwaveable. I can cook fairly well but cooking for 1 is a bit of a pain.

Cooking for one is a pain. I live alone, but tend to cook for 3-6 and have lots of leftovers. One thing that has worked well for me is putting some of the leftovers in freezer canning jars. Then I can pull a jar out of the freezer later and thaw it in the microwave for a quick meal. I currently have a couple of jars of chili in the freezer and I'm making a huge pot of turkey noodle soup this week and several jars of that will go in the freezer as well.

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, Current

Walk to Mordor (2021)

On 9/13/2020 at 12:30 AM, Toddley said:

I can cook fairly well but cooking for 1 is a bit of a pain. I would like to start by cooking 1 meal a week at home.

What Ranger Hal said works - make a big freezable meal and divide it up into smaller portions. I also like making really big batches of bite-size items that can be used as quick snacks or turned into a meal and freezing them - things like wontons or meatballs. I like that it makes portion control really easy when cooking for one, because you just prepare however many you are hungry for at mealtime - no pesky leftovers.

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

On 9/15/2020 at 7:46 AM, WhiteGhost said:
On 9/14/2020 at 11:49 AM, Toddley said:

Right now I'm in the process of developing a scientific methodology for rapid language acquisition for adult language learners

Nothing better than living in country surrounded by native speakers (at least based on my experience having gone through 3 different accelerated language programs) 

Absolutely! Although, that's not always an option for people on a long term basis. Currently my method is meant to accelerate the beginning stages of the learning process for increases successes to promote further learning and development. The goal is to provide a solid foundation and framework for the development of language skills based on prioritized word selection, syntactic structure, and linguistic shortcuts (that's a great thesis statement! I should write that down!). 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 1:30 PM, Ranger Hal said:

Cooking for one is a pain. I live alone, but tend to cook for 3-6 and have lots of leftovers.

19 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

What Ranger Hal said works - make a big freezable meal and divide it up into smaller portions. I also like making really big batches of bite-size items that can be used as quick snacks or turned into a meal and freezing them - things like wontons or meatballs.

I seriously need to get over my aversion to leftovers.

Update #2  -  Since I was a little unclear that it was a week of planning followed by 5 weeks of implementation (I thought it was 1 and 4 for a total of 5), the last week got off to a delayed start. Especially considering I didn't even commit and post until the night before the challenge started.

Nutrition: 

The start of the intermittent fasting has been going fairly well. I wake up super hungry sometimes so I drink a super greens powder that's only 25 calories and is sort of like a smoothie with a slight lemon and matcha flavoring. For someone like me that has a sweet tooth, it's not very satisfying in the flavor department but it gets the job done and tides me over quite well until around lunch time. I wasn't able to cook any decent meals at home last week but managed to do a little meal planning to get it going this week. Now I just need to get my introverted self to the grocery store.

Fitness:

One thing that I find works really well for me is being on a regular schedule for meals, exercise, and sleep. Last week was a challenge with my work schedule, family birthday, and my delayed start to the challenge. However, I was able to complete the warm-up 3 times and the beginner bodyweight circuit 2 times. I only managed o make it through the circuit 1 time each session but I have a propensity to abandon a fitness regime if I get injured so I don't want to overdo it right away. This week my goal is to complete the bodyweight circuit at least 3 days and 2 repetitions. 

Level Up: 

This has been the tough one. Now I also have to study for a promotional exam at work as well as do a bunch of administrative things even while I'm off duty. It's been quite hindrance in that it takes a lot of time and sucks out my motivation for anything else. It's like jumping into a cold lake, I just have to take a deep breath and get it done rather than try to ease into it one toe at a time. 

Cheers!

• Like 4

On 9/21/2020 at 1:23 AM, Firefly1230 said:

Currently my method is meant to accelerate the beginning stages of the learning process for increases successes to promote further learning and development. The goal is to provide a solid foundation and framework for the development of language skills based on prioritized word selection, syntactic structure, and linguistic shortcuts

That actually sounds very interesting.  What is your general framework for determining what to prioritize?

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 9/15/2020 at 7:30 PM, Ranger Hal said:

Cooking for one is a pain. I live alone, but tend to cook for 3-6 and have lots of leftovers. One thing that has worked well for me is putting some of the leftovers in freezer canning jars. Then I can pull a jar out of the freezer later and thaw it in the microwave for a quick meal. I currently have a couple of jars of chili in the freezer and I'm making a huge pot of turkey noodle soup this week and several jars of that will go in the freezer as well.

Similarly, I do a lot of cooking for my other half to keep her eating well. I eat the same thing but even so most recipes are for 3-4 people... with the extra veggies and stuff that I throw in there's always plenty of leftovers. They get tubbed up, labelled and frozen. One then comes out of the freezer on an evening for her to take to work the next day. After a few weeks there's always a good selection ready to go so dinners are on point nutritionally but crucially they're not boring!

• Like 1
On 9/14/2020 at 10:33 AM, Firefly1230 said:

My co-worker starts eating at 11am and stops at 8pm eating nothing but dinner 2 days a week.

Hi  Firefly,

I've been doing intermittent fasting for almost 2 years now. I have an eating window from approx 12 noon to 8pm, but now I can be a bit flexible with that if I am say out for dinner or eating late for some reason. In the beginning I shifted the opening of the window to later if I ate later in the evening. In the beginning, I thought I would die without breakfast, as the hormoen Grehin was still released to tell my body i was used to eating at that time, but now it's just what I do. Lost a lot of weight easliy with eating whatever and how much I wanted in my window. It helps reduce cholesterol, BP etc too so a win all round. good luck if you try it... I just jumped in ut a lot of people start by pushing breakfast later and later. I would stress that psycholigically I did need big meals at first when I did eat!!

"A fire-eater must eat fire, even if he has to kindle it himself." Isaac Asimov, Foundation

“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again."  Marie Lu, Legend  

Follow my character or current challenge

On 9/21/2020 at 10:49 PM, WhiteGhost said:
On 9/20/2020 at 12:23 PM, Firefly1230 said:

Currently my method is meant to accelerate the beginning stages of the learning process for increases successes to promote further learning and development. The goal is to provide a solid foundation and framework for the development of language skills based on prioritized word selection, syntactic structure, and linguistic shortcuts

That actually sounds very interesting.  What is your general framework for determining what to prioritize?

Primarily it will be frequency of use regarding word categories, individual words, and morphemes. 

For a negative example, one language learning program I was using introduced the noun for "horse" early on. Personally, I rarely ever speak of horses in my native language and think it unlikely that I would speak of them frequently in another language. Of course, this is reliant upon interests and lifestyle. The target language was German, and if they were using "pferd" to introduce the sound that the "pf-" makes, I can understand the reasoning, however, I think that a better selection would be "kopf" for "head", even though it's position in the word differs. 

• Like 1

Update #3

Nutrition: 

The intermittent fasting seems to be going well. I am still drinking the super greens drink in the morning just to get me going but have been able to keep my meals limited to between 1100-2000. I read the nutrition posts on NF and enjoyed the relaxed simplicity of conveying quality information. This was not a week in which I was successful with cooking meals at home though. I wanted to read the nutrition articles first in order to focus my grocery shopping appropriately. Turns out that I don't think I have been getting enough protein in my diet and I think home-cooked meals will improve that factor.

Fitness:

I've been struggling a little with exhaustion for a long time and this week was no exception. I work 24-hour shifts and if it's a busy night I'm just trashed the whole next day since I'm not much of a napper. Days like that make it incredibly difficult to get motivated to do anything, much less work out. I was able to complete the bodyweight circuit twice and will be focusing a little harder on achieving my 3x next week. The positive note is that even with the little bit I've done, it does seem to be getting slightly easier to get through. I've also noticed that my mobility leaves something to be desired to I've added a nice little stretching session that I complete after my workout.

Level Up: 

This week was a bit of a bust on accomplishing my goals in this area. I think I've just got too much on my metaphorical plate and need to start whittling away at it little by little so I'm less overwhelmed and can actually accomplish more. A bit of a different spin on the "less is more" concept. 

Cheers!

• Like 3

Update #4

Nutrition: 

Intermittent fasting is going well. In fact, I used to "skip" breakfast for many years but was told about "starvation mode" and how breakfast was the most important meal of the day. After reading the articles on NF, I definitely don't agree with those things I've been told. I much prefer the intermittent fasting the way I'm doing it and now I have the information that I was previously lacking. I did manage to meet my goal of cooking 2 meals at home last week. I'm focusing on doing this for dinner and have kind of enjoyed it. As long as I keep it simple and don't create too many dirty dishes. As far as my meals are concerned, I try to have my carbs at the midday meal and focus on protein and veggies for dinner. So far, so good. This is the area of health that I'm probably most lacking so any advice is appreciated.

Fitness:

Last week went great! I decided to try a MWF workout plan giving me an extra day for some adjustment if I miss a day due to work. The only problem that arose was how fast my legs tired out hen we were doing hose advancement training at work for 3 hours. It's pretty exhausting regardless and I'm hoping to see that get a little easier as time goes on. Looking forward to planning the next challenge.

Level Up: 

This had been one of the most difficult aspects of the challenge as well as the part I've slacked on the most. I seem to have a low tolerance for sitting and working on a computer for extended periods of time. However, the pressure is getting more and more to get some things done and I need to change my attitude and get it done. Setting a time limit to work doesn't work for me as I'm very task oriented and like to check things off as completed. I'm going to change my approach to this a little bit with a more specific "to do" list so I can enjoy the process of crossing off the completed tasks. 

On an additional note, I would really like to thank everyone here for your comments and advice. Since it's only me, one of the most difficult things for me is accountability. I'm the only one I have to answer to (outside of work) so if I don't get something done, I just shrug it off and move on. Even the minor effort of posting these updates has been very beneficial to me.

Cheers!

• Like 3

On 10/7/2020 at 3:16 PM, Ranger Hal said:

Sounds like things are going pretty well overall! What did you cook for your meals?

I was trying to be mostly plant based for a few months prior to this challenge but I really don't think I was getting enough protein for my lifestyle as I was fairly lethargic all the time and had difficulty getting through workouts and longer recovery times. So, I decided to start eating meat more frequently, but still less than I was last year. 

Lunch has really been up in the air regarding whatever is handy, easy, or I have a taste for, but I have been keeping an eye on portions and snacks. For dinner I've been making 1 angus burger (grilled) and a salad (various) or sauteed green beans (my favorite veggie). Of course I jazz it up with some seasoning or steak sauce but not too much. I've actually been enjoying cooking a little and have done it more than the goal amount lately.

• Like 1