• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RobinLost

Robin's first Challenge

Hello Rebellion

I've signed up to a 5k race in November, and my current goals is to run it in 30 minutes or less but since it's not within this 5 week challenge, I'm setting other goals in preparation.

Big Picture Goal:

Run 5k outside! 

I do most of my running on treadmills in the gym, because I'm overweight and I get very self conscious about people watching me run.

Little Goals

Run 3 times a week

I'm slowly increasing my speed and my running intervals

Buy New Running Shoes

While my current trainers are fine, I want to get a new pair to wear in a bit before I run my 5k in November

Lose 2kg in weight

I've recently altered my diet so I'm eating chicken and veg for lunch rather than sandwiches or leftovers. This has helped me lose 5 kg so far, I would like to get to 80kg by Race day, but I recognize that it too big a target.

Other goals

Pass my Italian A1 test

I've almost finished my Duolingo tree, and I've been working with the app Busuu this past week to revise. I'm confident that it I keep to twenty minutes + of study a day I will be able to earn my A1 Certificate in October.

• Like 4

I like your plan - do these things to be active and improve my running to run a 5k. 👍🏻 

As a language provider, I always enjoy enjoy seeing people succeed and getting better. Keep us posted!

Question though, when you mention weight, do you mean body fat or simply the weight you see on the scale?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Caius said:

I like your plan - do these things to be active and improve my running to run a 5k. 👍🏻 

As a language provider, I always enjoy enjoy seeing people succeed and getting better. Keep us posted!

Question though, when you mention weight, do you mean body fat or simply the weight you see on the scale?

Thanks for the encouragement 😊 

As for weight, I do mean the weight I see on the scales. I'm fairly confident that I'm losing body fat since my muscle tone is looking better, but I haven't actually considered measuring my body fat...

It occurs to me there might be a way that doesn't involve complicated machinery I don't have access to. So thanks, I'll have to look into that 😅

• Like 1

Today's run went well, despite the hot weather, although it's getting busier in my gym so thinking of maybe going before work rather than after.

I ran 4.3 km in 40 mins, run speed 7.6 km/h, with a run/walk ratio of 4:1 minutes. The walk interval got a little longer towards the end, but I kept to the 4 minute run.

I also studied Italian for an hour, and I'm happy with my progress. The revision/lesson contained a mixture of new and old vocabulary, because I might have an interest in l'uccelli and farfalle (birds and butterflies) but I would rather stay away from la zanzare (mosquitoes)

• Like 1

So hot here, I was sweating buckets during my run. This Robin can't wait for the weather to cool down a bit.

I managed to run 4.4 km in my 40 mins, I pushed my run speed up to 7.8 km/h, and now I'm floating on a fuzzy cloud of endorphins and sleepiness. Still need to up my speed if I want to hit my target, but I'm pleased with my progress.

Debating going for a run on Friday, or doing a longer session on Saturday morning. If it's still this hot Friday I might go Saturday just because.

I'm chipping away at my Italian revision, and spent my evening clarifying to myself possessives. I'm kind of face palming over the fact that I didn't pick up that Questo/questi/questa/queste is the same word and changes based on gender and if it's a singular/plural item.

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement Rouleur, I've been feeling all worn out lately.

Saturday run, I did 5k in 42 minutes and 30 secs. I've also lose a kg.

I kinda crashed out Sunday.

Monday, I only did 2.5 km, after upping my speed to 8 km/h. I packed in after 20 minutes rather than my usual 40. I think I was just having a bad day, so hopefully tonight's run will go better.

Apple and rosemary chicken is weird. Tasty, but weird. Not sure if I'll do again for my batch lunches.

• Like 1

Run 4.45 km in 40 mins today. Hard to run at 8 km/h, not sure why 8 km/h seems so much harder than 7.9.

Still, did my run, I just have to keep on track until I'm over this hump. I'm probably just stressing, and it's making things harder

• Like 1

Did my first run outside yesterday. 5k in 45 minutes. Not as scary as I thought it was going to be. It helped that most people in the park was watching the kiddies' football match.

Things I discovered, I do better when I have someone to follow, I need to practice setting my pace, hills are hard, running feels slow because I usually cycle the route, I need a better way to carry water, and it's cold! *Shiver*

I definitely need to do more runs outside, so I'm going to move my Saturday runs to the park.

• Like 1

Having walked 8km yesterday over uneven ground, I find myself in a bad position to run. 

Not sure what I've done (other than the 8km walk) but my foot arch is painful enough that running is probably not a good idea. I'm going to be kind to myself and rest another day or two before I'm back on the treadmill.

• Like 1

After a short break, I'm back running, and finding the 8 km/h speed a lot easier to manage. 2.7 km in 23 minutes today.

It's hard to maintain motivation when so much else is going on, seeing my mortgage advisor Saturday, and I feel like the dog toy at work.

It's nice when people appreciate your work, but the last 2 weeks I feel like I've been the bone of contention between 2 of the managers. One wants me working on her project, the other wants me focused on other things.

It wouldn't usually worry me, except these 2 have been butting heads for over a year now, it's no secret in the office they seriously disagree, and I feel like they are using me to undermine the other.

I got volutold to the project months ago, I've spent a lot of time and energy getting it ready, and I want it to succeed. It just feels like my personal manager wants it to fail, just to knock the other manager down a peg.

• Like 1

Oh man that is an awkward situation to be put in. It sounds like there isn't a really good way to escalate the issue to anyone either.

Glad the foot issue was short lived.

Thanks Ladymorella, it is awkward and I'm just trying to keep my head down and get on with things. I let the Company Director know what happened and he's had a word with them. I'm not sure what that word is, but he did indicate that he really appreciate my work and not to worry.

In other news, I managed to run 4 km in 35 minutes yesterday, which I'm pleased with. Forcing myself to the gym with the weather lately has been difficult. I'm feeling the drop in temp and wondering how cold it's going to be in November when I do my 5k race. I was rather busy this weekend so didn't manage to fit in a longer run... and considering how wet it was I couldn't force myself out when I did have some spare time. 

I'm please with how my mortgage advisor meeting went, and we now have a tick list of things we have to complete to move forward. 

• Like 1

With only 1 week to go, lets review my goals:

Big Picture Goal:

Run 5k outside! 

I did this twice! Second time yesterday. Both times were worst than my gym time, but I blame the hills ;) Clearly this is something I need to work on. *Shiver* I need warmer running gear if I'm running in winter.

Little Goals

Run 3 times a week

I almost did this. Out of the 5 weeks, 1 week I was injured and so took a healing break, another I got swept under by other responsibilities and I haven't run this week yet. 

Buy New Running Shoes

Visited Moti on Saturday for a Gait Analysis test and spent enough money to make my bank balance cry. (Well not really, I was planning for the hit, but that's more than I've spent in one go all year) A well matched pair of running trainers is probably worth it, and I picked up a warmer pair of leggings.

Lose 2kg in weight

Achieved to my surprise. The changes to my diet is now habit and I've been steadily losing about 0.5 kg per week. I'm going to quietly recognise this as a good thing and hold steady while my weight loss is steady. I'm not going to hit 80 kg before Christmas at this rate, but I've lost 7kg since starting in August and that's something to celebrate.

Other goals

Pass my Italian A1 test

Um... no. Stress at work made me sacrifice this goal for now. There's only so many things I can focus on at once, so my Italian learning/revision got left by the wayside. I hope to pick this up again soon, but I'm not going to beat myself up. Willpower is a limited reserve, and mine was spent achieving my main goals this month.

Going Forward

I am so bored of running, and my race was cancelled and replaced with a virtual version. This kind of knocked me sideways, even if I was expecting it to happen. I am not confident running on my own. Once I've completed this 5k, I am definitely going to look into alternatives to running. Strength training maybe? 

• Like 1

that's so sad that you cant do the run now. You prepped really well! 

maybe you can find something to do indoors during the winter? I like boxing and Cross Fit.. both much less intimidating once you actually get to do them with people.

congrats on the weight loss! I hope to reach my intermediate goal of 99.9 kg tomorrow.... :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks Fearless! Good luck on your goal!

I'm still planning on doing the run, XD I've been raising money for it, so would be a bit cheeky if I didn't. 

My gym has a few classes, so I'm going to try to sign up. I liked Boxing when I tried it before, but that was a few years ago now. Martial arts classes always seem fill of young men and teenage boys, which I find a little off putting.

• That's Metal 1

I'm actually really pleased with my runs this week.

4.25 km in 35 mins on Monday, then 4.46 km in 35 today.

I also go in contact with a local PT and scheduled a meeting for Monday. I want to shift my exercise routine to more weight lifting, muscle building, because... Well... Lots of reasons.

1. Running while overweight puts additional strain on my body. I was aware of this when I decided to do couch to 5k, but decided it was better to start any form of exercise rather than continue to potato.

2. Running on my own just isn't fun for me, but in the current climate I can't join a running group.

3. I watched a weight lifting competition last year at my local park, and my mind went "Shiny! Want that" 

4. Variety in my training can only help maintain my interest, because I'm an easily distracted butterfly. 

5. I want to be able to deadlift. It looks impressive. I want to work up to that eventually.

6. Maui is awesome, and the animators must have known their stuff to get his build to look right. (Yes, I know female = muscles won't build like that)

So, planning. Considering. Thinking. The running was always going to be a short term thing for me, just to get me used to going to the gym and keeping to an exercise routine. It lasted as long as it has become I got hyper focused on improving my times and run:walk ratio.