Scaly Freak celebrates the glorious return of The Kitchen

42 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Rehearsing for Thanksgiving? :) 

That's how it started, actually. Turkey is not common food in Sweden (at least not where and when I grew up) and I wanted to learn how to cook one for Thanksgiving. And then I decided I needed to keep practicing until the end result actually was enjoyable to eat, and the process of getting there wasn't an exercise in tear-filled frustration.... 😁

At this point in life I have more or less figured them out, and for two adults a turkey provides a very large amount of good food for the price and time spent. It's like batch cooking, almost. We cook them for special occasions during the year. :) 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Scaly Freak said:

Turkey is not common food in Sweden (at least not where and when I grew up)

It's getting more and more common. Around thanksgiving most stores have deals on turkey (either whole birds, or parts of them, like frozen turkey breasts or smoked turkey legs). But they're much smaller than what you guys cook for Thanksgiving. I don't actually think a proper Thanksgiving sized turkey would fit in a regular Swedish oven...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

And then I decided I needed to keep practicing until the end result actually was enjoyable to eat, and the process of getting there wasn't an exercise in tear-filled frustration....

I gave up on that dream before getting out of the un-enjoyable tear inducing stage.  Given how pricy they are here it just isnt something worth investing in.  

Actually, I haven't completely given up, I just scaled down and am trying how to cook rotisserie chickens that aren't terrible.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I gave up on that dream before getting out of the un-enjoyable tear inducing stage.  Given how pricy they are here it just isnt something worth investing in.  

Actually, I haven't completely given up, I just scaled down and am trying how to cook rotisserie chickens that aren't terrible.

A side-effect of my continued practising is discovering that off-season turkeys cost a lot less, for some reason. ;) 

Do the chickens have to be rotisserie? I have a spatchcock chicken recipe that always comes out great. You can replace the brussels sprouts and the carrots , and the potatoes for that matter, with almost any root vegetable. Turnips and carrots are a tasty combination.

Challeng update time!

1. Every day, make at least one “return trip”. I have a carved dragon that used to be on top of the book shelf. The dragon is back in its cave.

2. Meditate every day means on my days off as well. Oh yes meditated hard this morning. Repeated the ten minute session because I needed to.

3. Continue rebuilding the habit of lifting regularly. I was going to start lifting this weekend. The broken water heater distracted me all Saturday, and Sunday was spent on the turkey. And on mashed potatoes and gravy, because the turkey giblets have to go somewhere. :) 

Also, I really didn't want to work out until the ability to take warm showers was back.

Today's dinner was leftover turkey. I shred the leftovers and then stir fry them in butter so that any turkey meat that was undercooked is cooked properly. Then I add water, leftover gravy, garlic salt, fresh ground pepper, and boil the whole thing until the liquids have reduced to a thick turkey-in-gravy stew mix. Then I reheated the mashed potatoes and spooned the turkey gravy thing over them. It was tasty.

• Like 6

Today's dinner was leftover turkey.

The sourdough starter is old enough I'm supposed to feed it twice a day now. This evening, it looked tired and sad, and not at all as poofed up and bubbly as it did yesterday. It smelled like healthy kombucha when it brews though, so I'm assuming the starter is alive and well, and I should have given it a bigger breakfast. So I removed a bunch of starter before I fed it again. If it grows slower than expected, I assume I can keep feeding it a few more days before I start baking with it. :) 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Today's dinner was leftover turkey.

The sourdough starter is old enough I'm supposed to feed it twice a day now. This evening, it looked tired and sad, and not at all as poofed up and bubbly as it did yesterday. It smelled like healthy kombucha when it brews though, so I'm assuming the starter is alive and well, and I should have given it a bigger breakfast. So I removed a bunch of starter before I fed it again. If it grows slower than expected, I assume I can keep feeding it a few more days before I start baking with it. :) 

It kinda sounds like a baby who's growing up fast. So proud. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 9/23/2020 at 10:46 AM, Mistr said:

What kind of bread do you plan to make?

A very uncomplicated loaf, I think. It's been a few years since I did this, to put it mildly.

Challenge goals update:

I am going to make some changes to my challenge goals. I had an appointment with New Therapist on Tuesday afternoon and  she gave me a lot of things to think about. After thinking about them, I've come to the conclusion that I am stressing myself further by trying to do something that would be a challenge on a good week, so I'm going to put a halt to Goal 3.

I will continue to meditate every day, and I will continue to do something small every day that makes our home closer to ours again, but that's it.

Oh, and make dinner.

I cut chicken thighs into thin strips, and put them in a bowl. Then I sprinkled lots of garlic salt and fresh ground pepper and paprika over the chicken and stirred carefully until all the meat was evenly covered. And then stir fried the chicken in avocado oil while the rice started. When the chicken was done I put it on a plate for a while, and added soy sauce and Worchestershire sauce, and thickened the sauce with flour, and then put the chicken back in so it could be covered with sauce all over.  It was tasty.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I am going to make some changes to my challenge goals. I had an appointment with New Therapist on Tuesday afternoon and  she gave me a lot of things to think about. After thinking about them, I've come to the conclusion that stressing myself further by trying to do something that would be a challenge on a good week, so I'm going to put a halt to Goal 3.

No lift? Okay. But lift soon, right? 

I hope the new therapist is super excellent? 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I hope the new therapist is super excellent? 

She is, actually. I really don't even want to think about how much worse this kitchen ordeal would have been without her help.

One thing she does that was surprisingly helpful, is the idea that that in order to try and recover the mental health benefits from lifting barbells, without going back to my gym, I don't actually need to find barbells. I need to pinpoint which specific aspect of the lifting it was that gave me those benefits - in my case, it's a combination of physical exhaustion and "forced" mindfulness - and then look for a way to recreate those aspects. It does not have to be a single activity. I can find one that tires out my body, and another one that helps me reach complete mindfulness. And then do the first activity, and then the other, and then in theory get the same mental health benefits the barbells gave me.

GIF matching game - Page 256 — EA Forums

Yeah. Huh.

The meditation fills in for the mindfulness part. I just need to do more of it, and when I do, it helps. As for tiring out my body, the dumbbell lifting was supposed to do that for me. Circumstances outside my control are delaying a return to the dumbbells, so I am experimenting with the various things that need to be lifted and carried around here right now.

• Like 6
On 9/23/2020 at 10:46 AM, Mistr said:

What kind of bread do you plan to make?

I decided on this recipe

17 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Would bodyweight exercises be an option? Something simple like pushups and situps? 

Oh, definitely. I have been looking through some of the workouts at Darebee for inspiration and options.

• Like 1

Challenge update time!

1. Every day, make at least one “return trip”. Attempted to make a return trip only to discover that one specific box of glassware is nowhere to be found. I have no idea why, but the potential loss of these particular items stoked The Flame to uncomfortable heights and led to tearful mood swings and emotional storms. These eventually also led to snuggling with Husband on the couch, where we eventually fell asleep for a short nap. Very nice. 🥰

Side-note: The glassware has some sentimental value, but not nearly high enough to warrant a small meltdown. I suspect the water heater situation, and everything else that has been happening, reduced my fire resistance and caused the flare. Thankfully, the search for it happened late in the afternoon, and the rest of the day leading up to late afternoon, was very nice and relaxing.

2. Meditate every day means on my days off as well. This morning I accidentally meditated with a napping cat on my lap. I need to try this addition more often, it was quite relaxing.

Today's cooking project was the sourdough bread I linked in my last post. The bread came out very well, so we had fresh oven-hot bread slathered with butter for late lunch, because why not? And dinner was thick slices of bread topped with deli sliced roast beef. And now we only have one of the two loaves left. :) 

And now I'm going to go watch the recorded Lakers-Nuggets game. Good night, everyone.

• Like 5
33 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

This morning I accidentally meditated with a napping cat on my lap.

I am surprised that it took this long, to be honest.

36 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

The bread came out very well, so we had fresh oven-hot bread slathered with butter for late lunch, because why not?

There's no going wrong with that lunch! YUM.

I'm a little a lot behind, and just read about all of the Swedish variants on the pancake, all with bacon. Note to self: should you ever travel to Sweden, do not trust the pancakes.

31 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

I am surprised that it took this long, to be honest.

Well, during work days I meditate right after feeding them breakfast, so... 

32 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

I'm a little a lot behind, and just read about all of the Swedish variants on the pancake, all with bacon. Note to self: should you ever travel to Sweden, do not trust the pancakes.

The regular thin and flat pancakes are bacon free. For all the other ones except the oven pancake, the bacon is a side dish, so they should be okay.

1. Every day, make at least one “return trip”. I found the wire racks used for cooling bread and cookies, and discovered they were covered in rust. Google said the rust can be cleaned by submerging them in white vinegar, so I put the racks in a shallow tub, poured vinegar until they were covered and then left them alone. Ten minutes later, as the racks became out of the vinegar, all the rust came off with when I wiped them dry with a paper towel. Applied chemistry for the win. :) 

2. Meditate every day means on my days off as well. Kind of sort of forgot, but in my defense the world outside the bed was cold and was sorely lacking in warms arms to snuggle into. And then I got out of bed and had to set my fantasy lineup before the games kicked off, and then I got distracted cleaning up in the kitchen and washing out the big jar I use for making kombucha. Take note, everyone interested in making your own kombucha batch: If you get distracted by a water damaged kitchen and other domestic disasters, and forget about your kombucha batch for a few months, it's... it's... not pretty. Be warned.

Dinner today was the rosemary roasted baby red potatoes I posted about earlier this challenge. With the potatoes were Husband-cooked steaks. I noticed him pre-salt them with the chardonnay smoked salt, and there was a cast iron skillet involved, but I'm not sure what he did beyond that, since I was distracted by the last few minutes of the Seahawks-Cowboys game. Also opened a bottle of Malbec that in hindsight should have been aerated before drinking. I'll have to remember that for next time.

• Like 6

Also, spent a lot of time this weekend backseat gaming while Husband played Yakuza 0, which has an excellent soundtrack. In the spoiler are a couple of my favorite tunes from the game's karaoke mini-game. Content warning: Copious amounts of self-aware cheese, roller skating, and humorous tributes to 1980s hairband music videos. :) 

And below the two hilarious karaoke tracks is one of the story battle themes.

Spoiler

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Dinner today was the rosemary roasted baby red potatoes I posted about earlier this challenge. With the potatoes were Husband-cooked steaks. I noticed him pre-salt them with the chardonnay smoked salt, and there was a cast iron skillet involved, but I'm not sure what he did beyond that, since I was distracted by the last few minutes of the Seahawks-Cowboys game. Also opened a bottle of Malbec that in hindsight should have been aerated before drinking. I'll have to remember that for next time.

Steak, wine and potatoes is pretty much my ideal food. I enjoy the vicarious impression of the meal and am content on your behalf.

On 9/28/2020 at 1:59 AM, Harriet said:

Steak, wine and potatoes is pretty much my ideal food. I enjoy the vicarious impression of the meal and am content on your behalf.

Thank you. It was very tasty. :) 

18 hours ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

May you find a good weightlifting replacement.

Whether I do or not, I am determined to enjoy the search! I have found a couple of promising workouts on Darebee.

Dinner tonight was a salmon filet and a bunch of shrimp. I sprinkled a small amount of Alderwood smoked salt on the salmon, and then followed with a generous amount of lemon pepper. The salmon then went into a Pyrex glass pan (pre-coated with vegetable oil for easy clean-up), and then it went into a 350F convection oven. After twenty minutes the salmon came out of the oven and I put a single layer of peeled shrimp over the filet, and then the rest of the shrimp around it. Then I put 4-5 fingers of chardonnay into a wine glass and slowly poured around the salmon until the shrimp were covered, and drizzled the last part of the wine over the salmon itself. Back in the convection oven for another 15 minutes. Served the finished fish with microwave steamed sweet corn that I had seasoned with butter, garlic salt, and fresh ground black and pink peppercorns.

• Like 3