Silver Ranger

The journey was taking them longer then they had ever though possible, and  been even more treacherous than they anticipated. But, the  band of elves, humans, and halflings  trusted their leader, and knew she would find their goal. As they momentarily paused to rest, their guide the Silver Ranger, looked for tracks in the woods. She had been a Ranger for a long time, leading many others on similar quests. She had helped dwarves locate hidden gold, tracked villains who had managed to elude the sheriffs, and even found lost children.

The band she was leading now was in search of the infamous dragon, Zylon, the Firestarter. He had  razed many towns with his fiery breath. Flying over towns, terrorizing them , breathing his evil fire breath and burning their towns. Then he would fly away to his hidden lair. Gloating in his lair, waiting , and then returning yet again on his path of destruction

And so this band had hired the Silver Ranger to track the dragon and find his hidden lair. They would kill the dragon, and use the gold that the dragon horded to rebuild their towns.

The Silver Ranger surveyed the forest, studying it for signs of the dragon. Quickly she climbed one of the trees, so she could get a better view. As she reached the top of the tree, she spotted what she was looking for. Some of the branches had been broken off by something. Most likely the dragon’s tail. They were on the right track. She climbed down the tree, and nodded to her companions. They picked up their bags, ready to continue the journey.

The other day when we were geocaching,  a cacher signed with the handle the Silver Raider, only I thought it was the Silver Ranger. I immediately loved the name, and decided to claim it. Since I no longer color my hair, I thought the Silver Ranger fit me perfectly.

Just at the time Covid hit is usually the time I spend a bit of time losing the extra dark winter pounds I added on. But instead of doing that, I ate more and moved less, and so gained so more weight. After I did that a bit, I decided it was time to rein it in.  I didn’t have the mojo to be super strict, so I read Josh Hillis’ Book Lean and Strong ,A Guide to Eating Skills. It is intuitive eating with some guidelines, which is a perfect fit for me. At first, I didn’t even try and lose weight, I just practiced skills such as paying attention to my hunger. This challenge I am focusing on losing weight. Seems like 2020 is the year of learning to adapt. I mean, I had decided to do 10,00 steps a day, and was going great, and now we have smoke from wild fires, so that’s out until it clears. 2020 seems to be a journey where you clear one hurdle, and two more obstacles show up. With that in mind, , my main focus is going to be on implementing the skills. I hope (and think) that the outcome will be weight loss, but if  I learn to implement wise decision making around food, I will be ahead. Even if I stumble a bit, if I keep moving forward a little bit, I will eventually reach my goal.

Tracking:

The book has  tracking sheet for skills and guidelines. It is pretty basic, and I will fill it out. The main skill I am working on is listening to my body’s hunger cues. The guidelines (not rules!) are things like putting my fork down between meals, stopping half way through the meal and assessing how full I am, and using my senses to think about the food

Also in the book, are journal exercises that have you think about your values( what I will from now on refer to as super powers) in regard to  food and fitness. I have two more weeks , so I will finish those. After that, each week (bonus for doing it on Monday) I will spend a few minutes reflecting on those super powers in the prior week, and how I might use them in the upcoming week. Not a long time, just about 5 minutes

Cover the miles

One of the most effective ways for me to lose weight is to walk. I’d really like to do 10,000 steps at least 6 days a week. * Right now we are living in smoke land, so that’s on hold, but hopefully I’ll be back at it

Plan for the Journey

Each week I will pick some of the main things I want to accomplish for the week, so I know what to focus on

I put this is spoiler form because this whole thing is getting long.My super powers that I rely on

Spoiler

As a Christian, I’d say my faith is the most important power I have, and all my other powers come from that. However, I thought it would be easier for my brain to grasp, if I focused on the powers that flowed our of that.My top three super powers;

Self discipline:

Food; This is what helps me to slow down and think through what I eat. It helps me say when I have had enough, and not eat to the point where I feel overfull. It helps me to eat things that I know will help me feel better in the long run

Fitness: Self discipline helps to get up and move even when I’m not motivated. It helps me to stick with a program to the end. It helps me to choose what I want to focus on instead of flitting from thing to thing. It helps me to finish a workout when it’s hard

Joy:

Food:Joy reminds me that food is a wonderful blessing from God. Meal time is a time to stop and enjoy those blessing,and often with family and friends. Food is not the only way to have joy though, and sometimes I need to think if it would be better to find joy somewhere else in that moment.

Fitness: It is a joy to be able to move. I want to be able to move for a long time. I enjoy the struggle of a new skill or challenge, and working at it, and seeing improvement

Family (also friends)

Food: I want to enjoy having meals with my family.I take pride and pleasure in making healthy meals for my husband. I enjoy having friends and family over. Sometimes at bigger gatherings, I may eat more than I normally do, that’s ok, I know that family fuels me as well, and I want the flexibility to be able to do that

Fitness: I want to have energy to go geocaching with my husband, and family.I want to be able to keep up with any future grandkids I have

Spoiler

As a Christian, I’d say my faith is the most important power I have, and all my other powers come from that. However, I thought it would be easier for my brain to grasp, if I focused on the powers that flowed our of that.My top three super powers;

SELF DISCIPLINE

Food; This is what helps me to slow down and think through what I eat. It helps me say when I have had enough, and not eat to the point where I feel overfull. It helps me to eat things that I know will help me feel better in the long run

Fitness: Self discipline helps to get up and move even when I’m not motivated. It helps me to stick with a program to the end. It helps me to choose what I want to focus on instead of flitting from thing to thing. It helps me to finish a workout when it’s hard

JOY

Food:Joy reminds me that food is a wonderful blessing from God. Meal time is a time to stop and enjoy those blessing,and often with family and friends. Food is not the only way to have joy though, and sometimes I need to think if it would be better to find joy somewhere else in that moment.

Fitness: It is a joy to be able to move. I want to be able to move for a long time. I enjoy the struggle of a new skill or challenge, and working at it, and seeing improvement

FAMILY(AND FRIENDS)

Food: I want to enjoy having meals with my family.I take pride and pleasure in making healthy meals for my husband. I enjoy having friends and family over. Sometimes at bigger gatherings, I may eat more than I normally do, that’s ok, I know that family fuels me as well, and I want the flexibility to be able to do that

Fitness: I want to have energy to go geocaching with my husband, and family.I want to be able to keep up with any future grandkids I have

How they all work together

Having both Self Discipline and Joy as super powers is a great balance. Self Discipline reminds me to be consistent in my work outs, and to stick with things, even when they are hard. Joy reminds me that life is supposed to be joyfilled, and working through hard things may bring joy. However, sometimes sticking with something just to stick with it, can make workouts a chore rather than a joy. Having both gives me the flexibility to set some things aside and move on to something else when I am feeling burnt out.

They also help in balance in food. For a while, I had only self discipline.I went by the motto “food is fuel” and you weren’t supposed to enjoy it anyway.But, I wanted to enjoy food, so then I would end up overeating on so called “bad food. Now I try and find a balance. Joy helps me to savor all food, some that I know fuel me better, and some that don’t but that I still enjoy. Self Discipline helps me to slow down so that I do enjoy them, and make decisions with mindfulness

Fitness stuff:

I will be doing the NF Bodyweight Academy, then on alternate days I will be doing swing workouts from Tracy Reifkind , The Swing. I'm finishing up GMB's Mobius. And some rowing workouts in there. I don't think I'm going to work on L-sits this challenge, as I need a break from that.

• Like 12
22 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I learned to like the Power Rangers when I started teaching and it was all some of the kids would talk about. I can learn to like The Silver Ranger too.

😀Thanks

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along. I like the Silver Ranger. 

Thanks

• Like 1

The first week of the challenge is starting on hard level; We had smoky skies all week last week.The forecast called for less smoke today, but when I woke up  the sky was still all smoky, and the air quality still unhealthy. The promised wind and rain never happened. They are now saying we might have smoke all week. It looks like one of the most dismal November days. Super hard to be motivated to do anything. I think anything I did gives me double bonus points!

This morning, while cleaning dishes I listened to a Christian podcast. The topic was flexibility (nope not fitness) in life. How we have different seasons and times, and we need to trust God in those times and adapt. And focus on doing our duty. Obviously, I needed that today. I tried to just focus on what I needed to do, and do it.

I was excited to have my first workout on the Nerd Fitness Academy. It was jump squats, wall walks, and ring rows. The jump squats and ring rows I aced, but I haven't done wall walks forever, and they were super challenging.The workout called for 5 reps per set, and I could only manage 2.That's fine, it gives me a goal to shoot for. Finish with 10 hanging leg raises, and I added a tuck hold for L-sit work. I

I joined @Mr_Willes GTG challenge, but I forgot about it most of the day, so I have only done one set of 2. This evening maybe I will crank out 2 more.

Typing this out reminds me I am supposed to be recording stuff in my skills tracker. Haven't done that. I did do my values journal.Topic was where will I be in 10 years if I keep practicing these skills.The two big takeaways are that  I can my super powers of skill and joy and family are very helpful in all sorts of decisions. And using super powers to help me make mindful food decisions is a habit that I can sustain throughout my life.

I made applesauce with our apples , using the Instapot today, Turned out great. Tomorrow's plan is to make applebutter.

I also did GMB flexibility routine, it's about 20 minutes. Didn't feel like it, but since I can't for a walk, I knew my body would feel a lot better if I did it. It also helped me mentally. As I was doing it, I thought of a positive of not walking,: I never do the flexibility routines because I would rather walk or garden, so this gives me a chance to work on flexibility which is an area in my fitness I neglect more.

One more thing: this weekend we did game day, had some friends over. There were potato chips, which can be my nemesis.I decided to work on self discipline , and to have some chips, but to slow down and taste them and only have one handful I ended up having a couple of handful, but I still count it as win.

Wait, one more thing😉Weighed and measured myself.Down not quite half a pound, and about 1/4 ' around my belly, so nothing fantastic, but going in the right direction.

• Like 9
11 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

I’m really digging “The Silver Ranger”. You’ve embodied what it is to be a Ranger with exceptional aptitude so I’m all for this newfound name motivation :)

Wolf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

you got a shit ton of stuff done!!!!Awesome!!!!! ❤️ :) Also loving your mindset! :)

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm not much of a podcast person, but one I'm always willing to listen to is The Brant and Sherri Oddcast. 

I might give that a try. Sounds fun

• Like 1

Still living in Mirkwood. I could almost see the sun through the smoke today, so maybe a tad brighter. Before dinner, we went for a mini walk, about 15 minutes. I started getting a headache, and husband felt blah , so we turned around. I fixed dinner - air fried cod, broccoli and carrots, and rice ( the rice was from yesterday) I still have the headache, so bleh. I'm sitting in our air conditioned bedroom so hopefully that will help.

Plan was to make apple butter today. But , the apples were small, and some had bad spots, so I i didn't have enough. I peeled and sliced them and put them in the freezer to make dessert with later.

Today's workout was Mobius and kettelbell swings. Mobius was backward rolls, which I am improving at. Kettelbell swings is low weight higher volume. I  was going to try for 20 swings on the minute, for 15 rounds. Didn't have the stamina, so settled for 15. Decided not to push it. It's been a while since I did swings, plus with the air so bad,  I'm really not at full oomph.

The guideline for eating skills is to eat every four to six hours, with no snack. I usually have a snack, because of the way the timing works out, and In the afternoon I get super hungry. But I'm not moving as much, so I decided to try and do no snack. But about 4 hours I was hungry, delayed, still hungry. Had some apple and lunchmeat, which is a mindful decision.

Weighed myself and weight had gone up. Minor panic, but I reminded myself that my weight fluctuated, and that I am learning skills. Also, it is really hard for me to lose weight when I can't walk. And just the fact that I'm not eating snack is a HUGE win this week. Seriously, it's darker than in November, and usually then I still go outside for a bit of light. So, if all I do is maintain this week, it's still good.Deep breath.

Took a nap today, because no energy. After this I think I will do some NF yoga, maybe. We will see

• Like 3
On 9/14/2020 at 10:23 PM, Elastigirl said:

One more thing: this weekend we did game day, had some friends over. There were potato chips, which can be my nemesis.I decided to work on self discipline , and to have some chips, but to slow down and taste them and only have one handful I ended up having a couple of handful, but I still count it as win.

Chips are also my nemesis! Good on you for maintaining discipline.

• Like 1

Had prayer time with friends via Zoom since our air quality is so bleck. Did Academy workout B. Something silly, but it makes me happy.When you watch the tutorials, they have this cool , geeky music  play. It put me in a good mood.

Workout:

4 rounds

assisted pistol 5 reps- I really worked on only using the rings for support at the bottom of the move. 

assisted chin ups 8 - I did a couple full chin ups to start and then finished with the remaining assisted

assisted dips- these were actually too easy, next time I think I will do the negative part unassisted-8

ab wheel- 5

then finished with 2 45 sec bar hangs and hollow holds

Then I went for a walk! Air quality was still poor, on the high end of bad for sensitve people. I have allergies, but I felt like it would be a good mental boost. It still looks dreary, but being outside was nice. I did a slow, short walk, and tried to keep to nasal breathing (some fitness gurus say that nasal breathing is better at filtering out junk) then before dinner went on a second walk with hubby. We could see the sun , but it was filtered through smoke. Very spooky looking. So, I got my 10,000 steps today. Forecast calls for more smoke tomorrow, but maybe rain on Friday, which should clear the smoke.

• Like 5

Yesterday went well. The air quality was in the low end of unhealthy  for sensitive people range, so I ended up going on two walks.I went for a walk in the afternoon, about a mile, and then another mile or so with hubby after dinner(air quality was a bit worse by then) I also did a bit of gardening. I cut back my Dahlias and picked some cucumbers and tomatoes. I paid for all the time outside though. My nose was super stuffed up, and I had a hard time sleeping.

I have so many cucumbers! I decided to make cucumber sorbet. I wanted low sugar, and I couldn't find a recipe, so I did my own thing. Put peeled, sliced cucumber in the food processer and pureed them.Then I added some frozen banana, a bit of cashew milk, a splash of honey, and pureed all that. Then I put it in our ice  cream maker. It turned out pretty good. But then I had cucumber burps, so that wasn't pleasant. And today I thought I should eat some cucumbers, but now I'm feeling very done with them.

Todays or tomorrows plan is to make salsa with the tomatoes.

Yesterday I did the kettlebell swing workout, and the Mobius.

I think I'm doing alright on the skills. I eat slowly, and pay attention to when I'm full. I'm not remembering to  check my hunger levels at about 30 minutes before I eat (which is about the time you should be getting hungry) I'm struggling with writing down my tracking though. I just keep forgetting. I remember in the evening, but then I can't remember if I did the skills earlier in the day. 

• Like 2

Friday:

Did the bodyweight workout

I also decided to skip my afternoon snack. Josh Hillis recommends waiting 4-6 hour between meals, and not snacking. Even if you need to eat bigger meals to do that. His premise is that studies have shown that people who snack usually don't then end up eating less at meals. I end up getting hungry though as it is a 6 hour window, and I hate starting to cook when I am super hungry.  So most day I  opt for the snack However, Friday , hubby doesn't work out, and so we eat earlier. We had decided to eat out , so I decided it was a good time to push it and see how long I could wait between meals. We ate at our local gluten free place that I love. I probably ate just as much as if I'd had a snack. But, it was good for me to wait and get hungry. I had crab cakes, and this yummy salad with beets . And we had Brussel sprouts with bacon as appetizers. Then I decided to have desert. They have beignets, which is a super special treat for me.

Then we went on a walk on the urban river walk. It is getting close to Fall, and there was still some smoke in the air, so it was getting dark by the time we got there, so it was a short walk.And big news- the bathrooms were open! They've been closed forever, and only the porta potties were open, due to Covid- I never got that logic but now they are open.

Today I did a Mobius workout and the rower. After the rower, my back was sore. Not sure what's up with that, that is the second time the rower has given me a sore back.  Not sure what I am doing. I forgot the best news of the day- drumroll, WE HAVE CLEAN AIR- it rained last night and cleared everything up. And in the afternoon, it wasn't raining (or maybe a bit, but a Seattleite doesn't notice mist) so we went for a long walk. I have every window in our house open right now. It smells so good!

I made cucumber/ tomato salsa with our cucumbers and tomatoe. And our produce box delivery had a pumpkin, so I roasted that. We just ate it as a side, because I think pumpkin is delicious. 

• Like 5

Agree with fearless 2.0, very glad to hear about the weather and the clear air! Good job on your workouts, too. Rowing gave me a sore back, but it didn't last long after the workout once I got used to rowing. Maybe have someone watch your form and see if it's off somewhere?

• Like 1