Hey! sorry I'm late, I forgot to check new topics.. I rely on ppl linking their new thread in their old one x) 

Glad the air is getting better! I bet your inner rebel was happy about the toilets but also shaking her head. 

• Like 1
On 9/19/2020 at 11:29 PM, fearless 2.0 said:

glad to hear you guys have good air again! And well done with the eating and moving!!! you are doing great!!!!! ! :)

Thanks. Having clean air is amazing!

On 9/20/2020 at 9:45 AM, Silkie said:

Agree with fearless 2.0, very glad to hear about the weather and the clear air! Good job on your workouts, too. Rowing gave me a sore back, but it didn't last long after the workout once I got used to rowing. Maybe have someone watch your form and see if it's off somewhere?

Thanks. I've had a stiff back some times after I finish rowing, but that usually disappears after a brief stretch. I think I may take a video and see what I'm doing.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Hey! sorry I'm late, I forgot to check new topics.. I rely on ppl linking their new thread in their old one x) 

Glad the air is getting better! I bet your inner rebel was happy about the toilets but also shaking her head. 

Yeah,  I didn't mark it in the old challenge.By the time I got this up, seemed like everyone had switched over  Yep, my inner rebel was definitely shaking her head and rolling my eyes a bit too😀

Week wrap up:

I did fairly well at tracking (more on that in a bit)

I weighed myself daily, was feeling a bit bummed that my weight wasn't going down. Tried to remind myself that 1) I was moving less due to the bad air 2) I was practicing healthy skills 3) practicing skills isn't going to result in the dramatic weight loss like calorie counting, but hopefully will translate into life long sustainability which is a win. Weighed myself today and I was down about half a pound, and even better my bely was down 3/4" which is way more than I expected. So even though it was rally hard to not overeat last week ( gloomy dark days + less movement) I still did lose some

Weekly goals:

do stuff with the apples we have(apple butter, freeze) done

order prize from last challenge (Keuring tea cups)- done 

call/ send note to friend in rehab for knee surgery- nope

I am re-reading the book by Josh Hillis on eating skills and had an aha moment this week.  It was in a section on perfectionism. He talked about skills, and how we learn them and get better in time. And it is fine to start out slow and build. He had a list of examples of the skills, such as; putting your fork down between meals. Then for each one he had a good , better and best example. So for good it  was putting your fork down between bites at breakfast; better ,  both lunch and breakfast putting the fork down , dinner is all three meals. I realized that will all my skills, I expect to be at best, and feel like I am not meeting my goal if I am not at that level. I want to work on trying to improve things, and not expect that every skill I will  hit at best.

Another thing he does about is game theory applied to goals.  With a good game, you want it hard enough to challenge, but not so hard that you give up.Same is true for goals. If they are too easy, it isn't a challenge, and challenges help motivate us. Too hard, and you give up. So the trick is finding your sweet spot of challenge.

Monday: So

out of routine day. Went out to brunch with my friends, which was wonderful. The only thing was I was hungry before the time we had planned to eat. I had a bit of leftovers; pork roast ,and roast pumpkin. Then I decided to just eat light  fare (which means I skipped their wonderful fried potatoes) and had eggs and a fruit cup. It was yummy.We visited for a while over the meal. I came home and  went on a walk with hubby. Then I was really hungry, but I don't like to eat a big meal before my workout. So , I had a protein smoothie. Then did the workout, and after had a light lunch, but it was 3:30. Ate dinner at 6:30. So, I felt like I did several light meals. I tried to eat slow and pay attention to my hunger signals for all the meals. Some days are like that, where the routine is just wonky.

Plans for the week

Pull out stuff from veggie garden that is going to seed

shop for a mattress

something  creative

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I weighed myself daily, was feeling a bit bummed that my weight wasn't going down. Tried to remind myself that 1) I was moving less due to the bad air 2) I was practicing healthy skills 3) practicing skills isn't going to result in the dramatic weight loss like calorie counting, but hopefully will translate into life long sustainability which is a win.

Mindset win even if you don't consider it a scale victory (which are the most minor of victories IMO).

Also, if you're anything like me, I've had weeks where I weighed in +1lb one week and then -3lbs the next.  Body weight can be very flux.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I am re-reading the book by Josh Hillis on eating skills and had an aha moment this week.  It was in a section on perfectionism. He talked about skills, and how we learn them and get better in time. And it is fine to start out slow and build. He had a list of examples of the skills, such as; putting your fork down between meals. Then for each one he had a good , better and best example. So for good it  was putting your fork down between bites at breakfast; better ,  both lunch and breakfast putting the fork down , dinner is all three meals. I realized that will all my skills, I expect to be at best, and feel like I am not meeting my goal if I am not at that level. I want to work on trying to improve things, and not expect that every skill I will  hit at best.

Thanks for sharing, I know this, but the reminder is really helpful. 

19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I weighed myself daily, was feeling a bit bummed that my weight wasn't going down.

also keep in mind that just because it doesn't move for a couple days it doesn't mean you're not losing fat, it can sort of.... collect itself and then go in one swoop?

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Using game theory to motivate for the win - what NFers already embrace! It's fun to read different people's take on it.

Yes, it was interesting. His take is a bit different that Steve's .Steve's theory is more super easy level, while Josh's is that it shouldn't be too easy, or too hard. I've been pondering it, and think for me, it does not to be a bit of a challenge, but not too hard.

21 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Mindset win even if you don't consider it a scale victory (which are the most minor of victories IMO).

Also, if you're anything like me, I've had weeks where I weighed in +1lb one week and then -3lbs the next.  Body weight can be very flux.

Agreed, mindset wins are more long term. My weight can fluctuate too, that's why it's nice to have another form of measurement.

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Thanks for sharing, I know this, but the reminder is really helpful. 

also keep in mind that just because it doesn't move for a couple days it doesn't mean you're not losing fat, it can sort of.... collect itself and then go in one swoop?

You are welcome. I feel like it is something I need to continually remind myself. Yeah, I've had weight plateau and then suddenly drop

• Like 2

Today's workout was kettlebells and Mobius. 

The book that my workouts were from had some kettlebell swing drills. Even though I know how to swing the kettlebell, I did the drills. I figured going back and doing a bit of the basic practice is always good. Then I did the workout. I did the lighter bell, the 20lb. The workout is 20 sets, starting at 10 reps and then working up to 20 . I am not used to doing that volume, so I am working up to that, and doing less reps per set. My main goal was to do all 20 sets and I did! I worked up to 20 reps and then did 1 less each set. Knowing that each set there was one less swing helped with the mental aspect.

I wanted to do staff practice, but didn't have time, and now I am too tired to do it.. 

I bought a loom today! A child's size one. It was smaller and cheaper. I figured it would be good to learn on. Weaving is always something that interests me, and I wanted something creative to do over fall and winter.

It started out gray, and then the sun came out. By lunch time, when hubby and I went for a walk, the weather was gorgeous. Then in the afternoon, I worked in the garden.Pulled out our kale trees, which as the name implies were huge.The stalks were super thick.That big, the kale is bitter, so it needed to go. Also did some trimming of the sage bush.  And cut back the Dahlias

I grew both sage and tarragon this year, and hardly ever used it. I need to improve  on that next year.

• Like 6
On 9/22/2020 at 8:16 PM, Elastigirl said:

grew both sage and tarragon this year,

Yummy!  Can you dry them?  i use more sage around Thanksgiving (turkey and stuffing!) and tarragon in a brown butter makes a lovely sauce for acorn squash.  I've got basil, oregano, flat leaf italian parsley, lemon balm and two types of mint.  All have been transferred into pots and moved indoors.  Lemon balm is an amazing addition to lemonade, but I don't know what else to do with it...  

17 minutes ago, Terra said:

Yummy!  Can you dry them?  i use more sage around Thanksgiving (turkey and stuffing!) and tarragon in a brown butter makes a lovely sauce for acorn squash.  I've got basil, oregano, flat leaf italian parsley, lemon balm and two types of mint.  All have been transferred into pots and moved indoors.  Lemon balm is an amazing addition to lemonade, but I don't know what else to do with it...  

Oh tarragon and squash sounds delicious.  I have some Delicate squash, I bet tarragon sauce would pair well with it.

That's my problem with sage, the only thing I can think of to use it in is stuffing, which I eat once a year. The plant is too huge to bring indoors.. I think I will just cover it with a frost cover, and unless we have an unusually cold winter, I should be able to just pick it fresh for Thanksgiving

• Like 2
On 9/23/2020 at 10:26 PM, Mr_Willes said:

ragetti | Tumblr

Auuuggghh! I missed this post(apparently I didn't check my posts just other people's) When I saw it at first I was???.Then slowly it dawned on me, hey I signed up for some challenge or something . Ok, back in the  game. I decided to do the chin up challenge again, because I couldn't remember to do GTG chin ups. I'm switching to push ups, which are easier to do at random times. So far today 1 set has been done!

• Like 3

Not a lot of updates this weeks. I've been doing the things. Well, ok, I'm still forgetting to make notes in my tracker. But, I am thinking before I eat, and this week's skill was to use my 5 senses with my food, and at dinner time I have done that occasionally. I am still continuing to put my fork down between bites. Not every bite, but if I notice I am plowing through my food, I consciously slow down. 

Been keeping up with my workouts. This week I restarted the chin up challenge. Doing that and the NF bodyweight, even with warm up and cool down , I can still do in 45 minutes. So, no time to dawdle or stare at facebook, but if I focus I can finish the workout in good time. 

I did my last journaling for the food and fitness values. There were 13 weeks. During the first half, I felt like I did the questions, and then forgot about it for the rest of the week. But, now I find myself thinking about my values as I make decisions around food (and other stuff too) I think it was very worthwhile. Making decisions around values allows for more flexibility than strict rules

• Like 6
On 9/25/2020 at 5:14 PM, Elastigirl said:

Not a lot of updates this weeks. I've been doing the things. Well, ok, I'm still forgetting to make notes in my tracker. But, I am thinking before I eat, and this week's skill was to use my 5 senses with my food, and at dinner time I have done that occasionally. I am still continuing to put my fork down between bites. Not every bite, but if I notice I am plowing through my food, I consciously slow down. 

I did my last journaling for the food and fitness values. There were 13 weeks. During the first half, I felt like I did the questions, and then forgot about it for the rest of the week. But, now I find myself thinking about my values as I make decisions around food (and other stuff too) I think it was very worthwhile. Making decisions around values allows for more flexibility than strict rules

Conscious eating sounds like a wonderful life-long skill!

• Like 1

Week wrap up:

Tracking: err, about 50% I did remember to ask myself when I wanted a snack, if I was hungry for a balanced meal or jut wanted something. Friday evening I had a dark chocolate peanut butter cup (nom!) but most of my snacks were balanced, usually fruit with a bit of protein

Miles: 10,000 steps. yes did good on this not every day, but getting the steps in

Plans for the week

Pull out stuff from veggie garden that is going to seed_YES

shop for a mattress-Yes, and we even bought a mattress. WOOHOO

something  creative- Yes, I bought a kids loom(cheaper than adult) and made a coaster.That was fun , I enjoyed the loom and weaving.

My thought for the week: On rereading Josh Hillis' book, he talked about the fact that most of his clients only lose about .5 pound per week. Which can seem very slow. But if you lose that weight, and keep it off, it is better than losing it  only to regain. I feel like that's where I've been a bit with the last couple of years. I have maintained most of the weight loss, but struggle with about a 10 pound gain. When I do calorie tracking to lose, I feel so deprived, that as soon as I am off it , I regain. I'm trying to focus on skills this time, so I don't feel so deprived, and don't regain. I think I might regain a bit. My world is blessed in that I have ample opportunities to eat, and  it is easy to overdo that , and then have to rein it in a bit. 

This week's plan;

play with my loom

order pictures that I have from Disneyworld

talk with husband about budget

put out fall decorations

• Like 6
On 9/25/2020 at 1:36 PM, Terra said:

nd tarragon in a brown butter makes a lovely sauce for acorn squa

I didn't do brown butter, I forgot that part, I found a recipe for butter, lemon juice and tarragon and put it on the delicata squash. So good

• Like 2

Yesterday I did my kettlebell workout. I was able to do my swing reps each set, so I feel like my endurance is improving. I am struggling with tracking, so I am changing it up. I don't really want to fuss with marking the skills each meal, and I can't remember at the end of the day how I did.I sort a remember, but you know how when you go to write something down, you feel guilty if you say you did it for 2 meals but you aren't really sure? Or maybe no one else does that and it's just my hang up.Anyhoo, so here's what I'm going to try and do.Look at my skills chart first thing in the morning so I can remember what to focus on.Then in the evening, take a minute and think through the day , and reflect on times I used the skills, or times I didn't and wished I had. But no pressure to write stuff down that I am unsure of. 

Today: went on a walk with my friend which was very nice. We are having some nice sunny days, so that is a bonus .Did my NF academy workout, plus the chin up. The NF academy has chin ups for today, and it's the hard day for the chin up workout. So I just sub in the NF academy workout(8x 4) for the chin up reps.  Today is also the assisted one leg squat .I worked really hard on barely using the rings, and only using them in places where I got stuck (end of the movement down, start of the beginning) I did really good. But, I was sweating, and exhausted, It was a circuit with dips and the ab wheel. I did the dips all assisted because I was really whipped after the squats. Yes, different muscles, but still my body was like no thanks , how about you just lay on the ground.

Used my tarragon today. I made a tarragon lemon butter sauce to put on the roasted delicata squash . So good! The only bad part is I sort of overate. Right now my stomach has the bloated, ate a bit too much feeling. Oh well, it's been a while since I did that. And noticing it is good.

• Like 3

Yesterday's reading was about perfectionism vs striving for excellence. Perfectionism is that if you are not absolutely perfect in everything all the time, you may as well quit.Striving for excellence is a learning and improving mindset.  Not quitting when you don't do everything exactly right, but thinking about it, and making plans for next time.

In light of that, yesterday's oops was overeating a bit  at dinner. The reason this happened is that after dinner, I went and ate some food as we were cleaning up.And, I've been getting in the habit of doing that. Fix is easy.Mr. Incredible usually is in charge of dinner clean up. So, after dinner,  I will come and  log my day on here. Then if in about 20 minutes I decide I'm still hungry, I will go grab food, if not I will enjoy my evening.

Did the kettlebell swing workout today. I was able to up my swing count, so that was good.Before I did the workout, I thought after I finish this, I will do some yoga! But then I finished, and was like nope , don't wanna. My Ranger brain tried to convince me I needed to do it, but I remined it that "Do All the Things" is purely a voluntary thing if I want to, not a compulsory have to.

I did go on a nice long walk, as our weather is wonderful right now

• Like 4

It's good to see that the Eating Skills book is still causing growth.  The book is more involved than these things usually are. Typically it's: read it through once, go over a couple pertinent sections over the next week, then mostly forget about it except for a minute once a month. 😅

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

It's good to see that the Eating Skills book is still causing growth.  The book is more involved than these things usually are. Typically it's: read it through once, go over a couple pertinent sections over the next week, then mostly forget about it except for a minute once a month. 😅

😀Yes, it's a lot of information. I felt like I read through it, and remembered a couple of things and forgot the rest. The second read through I'm able to absorb more. 

• Like 1

This week's wrap up:

Tracking:

Plan was to look at my skills tracker in the morning to remind myself and in the evening to see how I did, I didn't do it everyday , but it happened

Miles:

10,000 steps, I think about 4 days, some days were less, Saturday I opted to do yoga instead of a walk, which is a valid choice. My brain doesn't count it as much, because it's not on my Fitbit. and my Ranger brain says I need to do both, but reality is it is a fine choice to opt out of walking and do some other movement I enjoy.

Week's plans

play with my loom; nope I kept thinking I didn't have time to do a whole project so I didn't start, the idea is just to play a bit

order pictures that I have from Disneyworld sad , frustrating saga. In January we paid $$$ money for  some Disneyworld pass pictures.We remember downloading the pictures, but now can't find them on our computer or our phones. And Disney only holds them a certain number of days. So they are just gone. If we do that again , I will load them right away on to Shutterfly.

talk with husband about budget

Nope, forgot about it.I put a reminder on my phone to talk with him about it tomorrow evening(going to his parent's house tonight)

put out fall decorations: Yes

Hmm, not a lot of my week's plans got done.Bonus though, I did make a meal for my church friend who had knee replacement surgery

Next week:

My workouts.Still doing NF bodyweight.The workout plan is to a different workout each of the 3 days. The wall walks are only for 1 day a week. But, the final boss battle includes wall walks, and I still struggle with them. So, plan is this week to do them 2 times during the week.The arm exercise for Friday is negative chin ups, I can either do both , or swap it out, since I am also doing the chin up challenge. This is my 4th week of the NF workout. 

To do

budget talk with husband

play with loom

possibly have friends for dinner Friday

possible order some more fall decoration for outside

read more in Lean and Strong

journal entry for values

These are the skills I am working on this week for fitness/food.I haven't been recording them here, because I didn't want to take the time to type them out.But, then I decided it would help me remember them if I did.

During meals

notice when full, and stop

put down my fork between bites

between meals

check hunger 30 meals before I eat

eat 3 meals plus a snack. try and wait at least 3 hours between eating

If I am frustrated and tired of focusing on losing weight

Then; focus on my values; self discipline and joy

Turning point: Work on excellence and improving vs perfectionism

• Like 3

don't be too hard on yourself. Whenever I get shit done its through baby steps. You moved twice as much I I did last week and even I am partying about my success. Its a matter of perspective. Also as you know I added in calories 2 weeks ago and since then have still be losing. Loving the mindfulness of checking your hunger signals! Thats a great idea. Have a great week Elastigirl!!!!! :)❤️

• Like 2