9 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

don't be too hard on yourself. Whenever I get shit done its through baby steps. You moved twice as much I I did last week and even I am partying about my success. Its a matter of perspective. Also as you know I added in calories 2 weeks ago and since then have still be losing. Loving the mindfulness of checking your hunger signals! Thats a great idea. Have a great week Elastigirl!!!!! :)❤️

Thanks for the encouraging words!

I forgot a note I was going to talk about yesterday. I tried the NF warm up, which was 2 minutes of jumping jacks.I got to about 30 seconds , before my lungs were exploding. I've also been doing jump rope, with similar results. It is very evident I need to work on my cardio, and fast twitch muscle . I rarely do it, because I suck at it, so now I am going to focus on it and see if I can improve.

Today was kettlebell swings. I am improving and was able to go more swing reps. Also played a bit with my staff. Working on a few new tricks, and some old ones.

Went for a long walk , and it was sunny and warm, and I don't expect that to last much longer.

Went to Costco this evening, so now we have all the food.

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

The workout level I am on calls for working on the jump rope doulbe under. I have been more focusing on jut regular jump roping. i passed the benchmark level to move up to double unders, but my jump roping is shaky, and I can't do it for long. The workouts are that you do it twice a week. My plan is to do regular jump roping  2 x a week, and then double under practice 1 time.Today was double under, and I suck. I don't think I jump high enough. And the coordination of the fast rope and big jump is way lost on me.

Also tried for 3 sets of 40 second jumping jacks which totally makes me gasp for air. 

I'm saying this as a fun challenge, not to be down on myself.When I started NF, I couldn't do any jump at all. It hurt my ankles and feet too much. So, yeah, stuff to grow in, but it's all good.

Also worked on pistol squats. I can do them with just a couple of times using the rings for support at the end range of the movement. I do wear my shoes, as it gives a bit of lift and that helps with mobility.

I was sort of in the mode of wanting to snack more today. I didn't eat lunch until later, and then had some granola for snack about 15 minutes after lunch.I'm not sure if I was truly still hungry, or just wanted to procrastinate and  enjoy eating some more. And I have finished dinner and I want more food.  We had chicken for dinner. If I'm hungry, I can have some chicken and an apple.Which sounds sort of blah, so maybe not hungry. Not sure why I just feel like eating more sounds nice. 

• Like 4

I know double understand from cross fit and there was a time when I could do some of them. I don't jump very high.. am impressed how far you have come!!! pistol squats!!!! yaaaassssss!

Keep up the good work, girl! ❤️

• Like 1
16 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

I know double understand from cross fit and there was a time when I could do some of them. I don't jump very high.. am impressed how far you have come!!! pistol squats!!!! yaaaassssss!

Keep up the good work, girl! ❤️

Good to hear you didn't have to jump super high.I'm kind of concerned that I won't be able to get it , due to lack of coordination.Seems really hard to twirl the rope fast, but then jump slow. Brain does not compute those two actions together

I looked at my values and guidelines/ skills this morning so I could keep in mind during the day. My workout was super intense, and I was exhausted afterward. You know, where you just sort of lay on the ground for a while. I've been trying to wait a while after I workout to eat, and then have a meal instead of a snack.But I was hungry and tired, and just wanted food, so I had a protein bar. Part of my reason for doing it with meal instead of snack was to get out of the habit of having 3 meals, and 3 snacks a day. Had the protein bar, then showered, then went for a walk, then came home and had lunch. Around 4:30, I was sort of hungry , and thought I wanted a snack.Decided to have some tea with a bit of coconut milk and see if sitting down resting and enjoying a small treat would do.And it did! Had dinner around 6:30. I made muffins to go with stew. I wanted 2 muffins. I've had one, and waiting until after I finish this to see how I feel then about the second one.

My workout today was kettlebells. So the workout in full is  20 rounds.It's swings E.M.O.M. You start out with 10 swings, and each minute you add 1 swing, until you are at 20, then do 20 swings each round to complete the 20 rounds.About 30/30 split between rest and work. I had been doing it at about 17 reps, not the full 20. Today I went down 5 pounds on the bell, and then decided to  go for the whole workout. And I completed it! But , man I was whomped. Probably won't do quite as intense next time, but then maybe after that

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Just finished my workout today, and I'm noting that my Ranger brain needs to focus a bit.Writing it out now, so Ranger brain doesn't take over and keep telling me to do all the things. I've been trying to do the chin up workout before the regular workout, and do alternate days kettlebells.I'm feeling like I'm trying to do so much, that I'm losing some of it.So, I'm going to drop the chin up challenge. I want to do NF workout, with adapting some of it, so I can focus on beating the boss battle. Right now, I really suck at the wall walks. I'd like to do them twice a week and see if that helps. I may do at least one time a week with them by themselves instead of a circuit. Also, maybe doing the assisted pistols twice a week (that change in two weeks) I'm going to add in the NF mobility challenge, but that  should help and not be super taxing on the muscles. The NF workout does have chin up work 2 x a week, so I really won't lose progress.

Anyone have tips for improving wall walks? My arms get so tired, not sure why.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

I'm impressed that you are doing wall walks!  That takes a lot of strength.  I don't know if this helps but I find that any time I do something with strength and have to hold a certain position for a given amount of time that it is really tiring.  Your arms are taking are using a lot of strength and endurance to hold your body up like that for any length of time.  Again, I'm impressed!!!  

Feel the burn! 

tenor.gif

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Terra said:

I'm impressed that you are doing wall walks!  That takes a lot of strength.  I don't know if this helps but I find that any time I do something with strength and have to hold a certain position for a given amount of time that it is really tiring.  Your arms are taking are using a lot of strength and endurance to hold your body up like that for any length of time.  Again, I'm impressed!!!  

Feel the burn! 

tenor.gif

Thanks! The workout doesn't really have you hold for a long time. It's more just the fact that it's several reps, and after about 3 reps, I'm done. And I'm a bit frustrated that that number isn't increasing. Part of that is it just takes time and patience(sigh) but it may also be that my arms are already tired since I've been doing my chin up work before the workout.Anyway, hoping that dropping the extra chin ups will help me improve the wall walk stamina

• Like 1

That EMOM sounds very intense! I briefly considered making my class do that tomorrow morning, but they would kill me xD 

On 10/6/2020 at 12:07 AM, Elastigirl said:

Turning point: Work on excellence and improving vs perfectionism

This is really good stuff! Going to add that book to my wishlist. 

ps. Thanks for checking up on me this week EG. 

• Like 2
On 10/10/2020 at 2:18 PM, KB Girl said:

That EMOM sounds very intense! I briefly considered making my class do that tomorrow morning, but they would kill me xD 

This is really good stuff! Going to add that book to my wishlist. 

ps. Thanks for checking up on me this week EG. 

It is a good book. Well worth the read.

You are welcome. I want to know how you are doing my friend, even if the answer is that you are struggling.

• Like 1

It was a good weekend.

Friday we went out to a Mexican restaurant. I had 3 tacos, chicken, pork, and beef. So good. I like this place because it focuses more on quality than quantity. The food is very good, not huge portions, but I think that's a good thing. I had some tortilla chips after dinner. Ended up feeling a little overstuffed. Came home and watched Tangled. which I hadn't watched in forever. It is a really good movie, one of my favorite Disney stories

Saturday was a wild weather day. We had thunderstorms with heavy rain and some hail . I had thought about going to the store and buying some fall flowers for our front porch, but nixed the idea  to stay inside. I did a rowing workout in the morning from Dark Horse, and I really enjoyed it. Then did this 10 minute stretch from Katy Bowman. 

https://www.nutritiousmovement.com/keep-your-immune-system-dynamic/

I made pumpkin doughnuts, and they were so good. We had my brother in law and son over for dinner and games. We played a new game, Deep Blue, where you are treasure hunters. I lost by a bunch, but it was still a fun game.And then Flux, Firefly version, and I actually won one game. Oh, for dinner I made tacos. I found some gluten free tortillas that I like that aren't  hideously expensive.

Sunday was the best. We were able to have our church inside. It was so nice! One of those things you don't realize how much you love it until it is taken away. My son sat next to us, which was even more special.Something about sitting with him in church, singing, and taking communion makes me feel as if all is right with my world.

Week in review:

I did pretty good about checking what my skills and guidelines were. Several times, I thought I want to eat such and such food if I saw it out, and instead delayed and then decided I wasn't hungry. I thought about when I was full as I was eating. There were other times when I just decided to eat though too. HOnestly, I don't think I've lost any weight. I think I'm maintaining. Maybe I'm frustrated with that, but not frustrated enough that I make any changes. I do like how I am being more mindful around food, and the decision process.

Week's plans

budget talk with husband-DONE

play with loom_Did that today

possibly have friends for dinner Friday-they couldn't make it

possible order some more fall decoration for outside- looked at Amazon didn't see anything

read more in Lean and Strong_DONE

journal entry for values-DONE

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Sunday was the best. We were able to have our church inside. It was so nice! One of those things you don't realize how much you love it until it is taken away. My son sat next to us, which was even more special.Something about sitting with him in church, singing, and taking communion makes me feel as if all is right with my world.

I'm so happy you could do this!

• Like 1

Today's workout

Did the wall walks separately  before the other exercises . 4 sets of 2 reps. I was hoping to be able to do more reps, but my wrists were sore. I didn't warm them up, so maybe next time. I did however, focus on form, and felt like my form was really good, and a nice slow descent. For box jumps, I put the egg crate on top of my floor mats to raise it up a bit. Ring rows I rocked and hanging  bar raises I rocked.

Went on a long walk.The day started out rainy, but cleared up as the day went on. It was sunny when we went on a walk. Since it was sunny, I decided to do some gardening. Pulled out the tomato plants and cucumber plants, which were dying. The dahlias in front of my house are about 6 feet tall. A bunch had  broken off in the rain stor, so I trimmed them.I ended up having to cut a bunch back. We shall see if any more bloom, or if they are done for the year. I usually pull them up at the end of October anyway.

Did my values journal. My reflection is that at the end of the week I was struggling with the "Idontwanna" So my plan  for that is those times to remember my values. Also to remember that guidelines such as; eat only if you are hungry, or eat a balanced meal are guidelines not rules. Which means that sometimes I can say,"hey I've been really good at following that, and right now I don't want to, and that is a fine choice" Remembering that keeps me from all or nothing thinking. Most of the time I follow guidelines, but sometimes I choose not to.Keeps my teenage (or toddler ) brain from rebelling.

I didn't lose weight this week. I did lose about a half an inch. So I think I'm making progress? Also, for church, I wore a sweater that can get too tight when I  am heavier, and it fit well, so that's a good sign. I've got mixed emotions. Part of me feel like bagging this eating skills and doing calorie counting. But then I think I would gain it back, because I'm just not in the mental space for great food discipline. Part of me thinks that I'm laying a good foundation, even if I'm not making progress. It is easier when you calorie count to just say yes or no. But I like right now  where I can have soups or restaurant food, or other stuff that is super hard to track

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Any advice?  I want to pick up a ratton Bo staff soon and give a few katas a whirl or something in November!

The stuff I'm working on is more in the style of fun tricks than weapon work. I follow Michelle C Smith's tutorials

• Like 2
On 10/12/2020 at 10:08 PM, Elastigirl said:

Did my values journal. My reflection is that at the end of the week I was struggling with the "Idontwanna" So my plan  for that is those times to remember my values. Also to remember that guidelines such as; eat only if you are hungry, or eat a balanced meal are guidelines not rules. Which means that sometimes I can say,"hey I've been really good at following that, and right now I don't want to, and that is a fine choice" Remembering that keeps me from all or nothing thinking. Most of the time I follow guidelines, but sometimes I choose not to.Keeps my teenage (or toddler ) brain from rebelling.

Do you think that is a typical pattern, in the sense that you tend to be tired or out of will power at the end of the week? I'm asking b/c I've noticed that myself. I tend to start off the week strong and then get a little overwhelmed (particularly during non-covid times, when I was a lot busier). I haven't figured out the perfect strategy to combat that trend. One thing that seemed promising was to specifically schedule in some mid-week time to catch up.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Xena said:

Do you think that is a typical pattern, in the sense that you tend to be tired or out of will power at the end of the week? I'm asking b/c I've noticed that myself. I tend to start off the week strong and then get a little overwhelmed (particularly during non-covid times, when I was a lot busier). I haven't figured out the perfect strategy to combat that trend. One thing that seemed promising was to specifically schedule in some mid-week time to catch up.

I was thinking it more of being just out of will power by weekend.  But maybe just tired too.Especially now that shorter days are here, and my schedule is picking up a bit.

• Like 1

Yesterday was interesting:

We had a  wind storm. it was rainy first , then windy. Mr. Incredible and I were able to go on a walk, because it was semi sunny and warm , even though it was windy. It was a bit of a struggle going up our hill, walking into the wind. Hubby had to get back for a meeting, so he left, and I kept walking. I walked into a neighborhood that was a bit more protected from the wind.Then by the time I looped back, it was even windier. It also happened to be garbage day, so everyone's garbage cans were out. A lot of them had blown over.I put several cans upright. Then walked by a recycling container just as it blew over. I  gathered up a bunch of stuff and put it back, and then closed the lid again. Went home and walked inside, and noticed it was dark. Hubby came out and said we had no power. It was out for about an hour.

Because we were scheduled to help at our food bank form 5:30 to 7:30. I made dinner (chicken curry) and we ate at 4:30. I was actually hungry at 3:30, but decided I could wait until 4:30. I'm trying to find that balance with letting myself be a bit hungry so I can lose weight, but not so much that I feel deprived and end up "cheating" and overeating. We ate dinner and left. Driving into the town where the church was that we were going to help, all the traffic lights were out. Got to the church and the director said they had no power. During non covid times,  the food bank is inside and people go in and pick what they want. But now the volunteers pack up the food and bring it to the curb, and people can drive by and pick it up. So, we used our flashlights to go inside the building , and then carried the bags out to the curb. Thankfully, by the time we opened the wind had died down, so it was actually a fairly calm evening.

I did my kettelbell workout, not quite as many reps as before, but not as few as I'd started in the beginning of the workouts

Today:

DId my wall walk to start the workout.Noticed that on the descent, I have a tendency to bend my arms. So, I worked on keeping them straight. Also I look out, and I think I need to look more at the wall I'm walking on. I managed to up my rep count by 1.Not a huge improvement, but a litttle

Did the rest of the workout. Solid. I tried to do the bottom part of the pistol unassisted, but I can't quite get there. For jump rope, I set the timer for a minute, and went for as long as I could, 35 secs, and then rested a few seconds, and then back at it.Goal is to get to 60 seconds. I think I'm going to try and do that before I work on double unders. Finished with the NF mobility challenge. I did a benchmark this week, and then we test every two weeks. The benchmark gives you a number score, and then you see how you improve. I'm thinking maybe with the number score, even if my progress is tiny, I will feel like I'm improving .With  mobility, it is so easy for me to get discouraged, because I feel like I never see improvements.

It was actually sunny again today, so I went on a good walk

• Like 3

I love the idea of intuitive eating! Definitely going to check out the book. So thanks for letting us know about it!
Just realised I've read your first post thinking it was your latest. That's a newbie for you. 😄
Nevertheless, thanks for letting us know about the book!

• Like 1
On 10/13/2020 at 4:08 AM, Elastigirl said:

I didn't lose weight this week. I did lose about a half an inch. So I think I'm making progress? Also, for church, I wore a sweater that can get too tight when I  am heavier, and it fit well, so that's a good sign. I've got mixed emotions. Part of me feel like bagging this eating skills and doing calorie counting. But then I think I would gain it back, because I'm just not in the mental space for great food discipline. Part of me thinks that I'm laying a good foundation, even if I'm not making progress. It is easier when you calorie count to just say yes or no. But I like right now  where I can have soups or restaurant food, or other stuff that is super hard to track

You're definitely making progress! At the very least by laying a good foundation, but scale weight is also very fickle so who knows what might really be going on there. I really get the temptation of wanting those clean yes/no answers- who ever thought that calorie counting would be the easy way out right? but you're doing great and I think you'll be very happy to have done this work in the future. 

• Like 1