Vercingetorix wakes up

Hi Guys, a day late but here for my second challenge of 2020.

My last challenge wen't well in every aspect of my life except for the main point, waking up in the morning. I really struggle with mornings, and I don't like it. I hate waking up already rushed to the days responsibilities. Its a mental health thing, of tackling the day instead of reacting to it. Like Thor said, hero's tackle their problems head on, so I'm doing that for the next 5 week. The is the main objective of my challenge.

I'm also switching from my 6 day PLPPLP training to a 4 day Push/pull with a de-load week at the end of the challenge in 5 weeks. Already did the spreadsheet for it. I switched to a four day to give me Wednesday to run. Signed up for a 10k at the end of October to support 2 of my friends who want to get in better shape. I need to jog twice a week to get in my 10k form. Wednesday and Saturday are jog days. Just my training block for this challenge.

The challenges:

-#1, the big one. Waking up before 7h30. Not the end of the world if it's 7h33... When its 8h30 and you have a zoom call at 9, that sucks. No more of that. I'm going to track it the same way as before, with post it notes and a jar. Since I noticed it makes it feel like a punishment at times, I'm pre-writting the notes with small loot. For example: you're up before 7h30, enjoy a coffee and chill. Start the day winning. I'm also gonna put a few books I like in my bed to go to sleep earlier. 

-#2 Tracking, keep tracking food, sleep and training. Really helps a lot. Easy part of the challenge here.

-#3 85% adhesion rate. Don't let one or two mistakes derail, just keep going forward.

-Extra bonus challenge: do one morning run on a Wednesday during the challenge. 5 attempts possible.

Loot at the end, I was going to go for the squash racket I missed out on last challenge, but I haven't been playing enough squash to justify the purchase. Still want it thought. Loot options this time

- fresh pair of running shoes

- new hockey visor

- New headphones

Good luck everyone, Fortify! 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1
On 9/14/2020 at 10:13 AM, Vercingétorix said:

I'm going to track it the same way as before, with post it notes and a jar. Since I noticed it makes it feel like a punishment at times, I'm pre-writting the notes with small loot. For example: you're up before 7h30, enjoy a coffee and chill.

I love this idea! It seems like the type of reward that could genuinely motivate you to complete the goal.

Update time, last week was a huge improvement. I actually woke up last Wednesday morning and ran 10k. Maybe ran is a strong word, more like stumbled for 10k. But it got done! Need to switch my deadlift routine and tweak volume. Little changes... Or so I thought.

Had a bad fall playing ball hockey yesterday and severely strained my wrist during ball hockey match. Got tripped and fell on my wrist. It wasn't too bad at the time and finished my game, but during the night the pain really picked up. Did'nt sleep a lot and had to take the morning off. Waiting from feedback from my doctor to know if I need to go for x-rays or not.

Anyway can't really lift weights for the foreseeable future. Need to figure how to work out without a hand! Hahaha so I'm going to take some time today to figure out what to do with this unexpected injury. Shit happens and you gotta deal with it.

Will Keep the forum posted, clears my head. Hope everyone is having better luck.

17 hours ago, Xena said:

Hope your first week was great! did you get a Wednesday run?

• Sad 1
  • That's Metal 1
On 9/21/2020 at 5:13 PM, Xena said:

Sorry to hear about your wrist!

On 9/21/2020 at 1:27 PM, fearless 2.0 said:

get better soon! ❤️

Thanks! Got my X-Ray, and turns out I have an extra bone in my wrist that does nothing. It got dislodged and jammed in a ligament. Long story short, nothing is broken, just an intense wrist sprain getting things back in place. Starting to get better already! Finally got a good night of sleep last night, and back on track for my challenge.

I won't be able to push a barbell for a week or two that's for sure.  but probably going to just do 3 leg workout a week and keep jogging. Focus on sleep and nutrition. 

• Like 2
On 9/23/2020 at 10:58 AM, Vercingétorix said:

Thanks! Got my X-Ray, and turns out I have an extra bone in my wrist that does nothing. It got dislodged and jammed in a ligament. Long story short, nothing is broken, just an intense wrist sprain getting things back in place. Starting to get better already! Finally got a good night of sleep last night, and back on track for my challenge.

I won't be able to push a barbell for a week or two that's for

Hmm, extra bone that's interesting. Glad noting is broken. How is it feeling now?

End of Challenge update time.

Had quite the tumultuous 5 weeks. From a sprained wrist (still can't put pressure on an open hand) to our gym closing as we are getting hit by a covid second waive... Lost of random things adding up.  And as much as I hate to admit it, I still haven't done a solid on my challenge. It was a lot better than my last attempt, but still short. I forget the post-it notes, or simply pretend I'm awake while listening to the radio in bed. Mornings really are my boss fights.

I was able to do my morning jog challenge. It was painful and slow, but I did it. Also, overall, I was a lot better on my mornings. The loot sticky note things work, but the flip side is that I'm reminded a bit harshly that I missed a day when I wake up late or sleep through my alarm. Maybe gun shots over my head in the morning would work hahaha. Have to work in prep going to sleep. Just 5 minutes of prep for the next morning makes it so much easier (layout of clothes, sticky notes beside my water bottle, etc)

So I'm doing a mini challenge in between the challenges. Next week, I am out of bed before 7:30, Monday to Friday. Simple, I do that, and I get myself some new running shoes. 

Thanks everyone for checking in! Will keep the forum updated on the next challenge, and will look into sharing and participating a bit more. Keeps the challenge in front of your mind a bit more.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Vercingétorix said:

Had quite the tumultuous 5 weeks. From a sprained wrist (still can't put pressure on an open hand) to our gym closing as we are getting hit by a covid second waive... Lost of random things adding up. 

Also, overall, I was a lot better on my mornings.

I've had plenty of challenges that mis-fired, false-started, or simply failed to launch.  It happens to all of us!  Sometimes, and maybe this is an unpopular opinion, we just need to set simple, easy to measure, but attainable (yet somewhat challenging our comfort zone) to really achieve lift-off.  That might be something to keep in mind for your next challenge!

2 hours ago, Vercingétorix said:

So I'm doing a mini challenge in between the challenges. Next week, I am out of bed before 7:30, Monday to Friday. Simple, I do that, and I get myself some new running shoes.

I really like this idea.  Keep it simple, get some wins up on your metaphorical scoreboard, and head into the next one with the momentum of success B)

• Like 2
On 10/16/2020 at 11:36 PM, Elastigirl said:

Woot for the morning jog challenge! And congrats on being better at mornings. New habits are tough to start, and you are moving in the right direction. I like your plan for next week.

On 10/19/2020 at 9:10 PM, Xena said:

Sounds like some solid progress this time around, and I really like your mini-challenge idea too.

On 10/16/2020 at 2:20 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

I've had plenty of challenges that mis-fired, false-started, or simply failed to launch.  It happens to all of us!  Sometimes, and maybe this is an unpopular opinion, we just need to set simple, easy to measure, but attainable (yet somewhat challenging our comfort zone) to really achieve lift-off.  That might be something to keep in mind for your next challenge!

I really like this idea.  Keep it simple, get some wins up on your metaphorical scoreboard, and head into the next one with the momentum of success B)

Thanks Everyone, and sorry for the late update. Can't seem to find the 20 minutes needed for it this last weekend, but I have a great excuse. 

For the good news, I passed my mini challenge! The only caveat was last Wednesday. Might be oversharing here but I get Night Terrors/Sleep Paralysis (hypnopompic) at times. Its rare but usually an episode every other month. The one I had on Wednesday was pretty bad, but still out of bed at 7h40, so I'm very happy about that. Decided to get some new court shoes for sports as our COVID situation goes back to yellow and stuff opens up. Attached a pic, great shoes for ball hockey and squash, inexpensive too. Made a huge difference for my game last Sunday.

Lastly, I also had my first organized 10km run last Saturday. It was a commitment me and some friends made, and I crushed it. Since the gym and everything was closed, had all the time needed to train for it as part of the runergizer charging. Ran the 10km in 46 minutes, super happy with that. 

Anyway, will make a post soon about the new challenge. Thanks for the support everyone!

Screenshot 2020-10-27 125518.png

• Like 2

Congrats on the 10K! Lots faster than I could do these days 🙂

I don't think that was oversharing at all. I've only had something like sleep paralysis twice, and it was really scary.