Athaclena hangs on.....

Athaclena

I'm grasping life by my fingernails at the moment. This is a placeholder and I'll update once I get a few moments of time - but my goals are likely to be little more than "make it to the end of the challenge alive, employed, not incarcerated, and not resorting to 10 for $1 ramen."

• Like 4

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

1 hour ago, Chesire said:

If you do end up incarcerated, 10/$1 ramen won't be an issue.  😄  Not the most helpful thought, I know.  Gotcher back none-the-less.

Unfortunately I wouldn't really do well on apples and balogna LOL.

• Haha 1

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

Quick check in....

This week is a definite improvement over the week before vacation. Unfortunately I'm online tomorrow at 7am (and Thursday AND Friday) to teach a class. I have some setup to do tonight so I won't be in a rush tomorrow morning.....

I'm still cooking dinner mostly at home and keeping an EAGLE eye on the budget. Gonna schedule the next "weekend" at the Atlanta house and focus on boxing up and cleaning - even if it's not moved out - if I can get the stuff upstairs boxed, out of the way and somewhat clean - I'll go ahead and throw it up FSBO and schedule an Open House and see if I can get any nibbles.

OK - off to pickup my grocery order and then make dinner!

• Like 3

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

On 9/14/2020 at 3:22 PM, Athaclena said:

my goals are likely to be little more than "make it to the end of the challenge alive, employed, not incarcerated, and not resorting to 10 for $1 ramen."

I have goals, but I feel like I'm drifting in this direction as well. We're here for you whenever you can spare a few moments. And try to get enough sleep - everything is harder to deal with when you're tired. :)

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39 

I'm alive. I've been staying pretty much on top of keeping apartment clean, work, and cooking dinner MOST nights. I stayed up WAY too late last night reading. It appears that Kindle Reader stopped putting "time to end of book" - because if I'd truly realized I had another 4 hours to go - I'd have crashed at 10 rather than power through until 2am LOL. Gonna try to crash earlier tonight.

Hubby and I are TENTATIVELY planning to head down to the house Friday night, spend Saturday packing\cleaning, load up the Excursion and drive back Saturday night\Sunday morning. I think that's going to be "a thing" until we get through stuff to bring up (that can be moved without a moving truck\trailer) then schedule that. If at ANY point I think I'm ready to let folks come look - I'll post FSBO and plan an Open House and see if I can sell it. That will require the main floor to be packed up and clean.

If I can actually crash at a decent time - I'll set an alarm to get up early enough for a morning walk. It's actually NICE outside at the moment - fall is actually arriving here!

• Like 3

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Also - in an effort to not stick my head in the sand as "shizzle" has occurred over the last few months which contributed to my - DIRE NEED of a break before I broke.....

New HO insurance found. Old insurance wasn't going to renew as they'd figured out we'd moved out and no amount of "we're there once or twice a month" was going to stop the non-renewal. Insuring an empty structure costs about 3X as much as insurance that includes covering your stuff BTW. But I have now fully confirmed that the bill submitted to my mortgage company has been paid and updated in their system with the new insurance. Maybe I'll sell the house before the mortgage payment is recalculated to cover the escrow shortfall (I can hope).

Since the national insurer decided to not renew my HO - and I knew I'd been paying too much for car insurance - shopped it around and found new, comparable (well, I dropped some limits a bit and raised deductibles) for about 1/3 what I had been paying. THAT'S a not insignificant amount back in the monthly budget....

I've been keeping a STRICT eye on the budget and I THINK - partly since I received some $$ back from "pre-payments" of insurance - that I won't have to take any $$ out of the contingency fund this month and we're going to come REALLY CLOSE to staying inside the budget I made - even having to come off a bit of $$ for some unanticipated expenses with our side company (hardware we're supplying that apparently was damaged in the move - ARGH) - but needed to be replaced because it's KEY to our making some $$ in the next couple of months to start offsetting THOSE costs we're covering and be primed to hopefully be ready to start things up immediately once it's safe to have conventions again.....

So while it still pains me we're cutting so close to the bone - at least I'm not making things worse by sticking my head in the sand.

OH - and after things "washed out" after moving the $$ around and the "true" credit ratios were in place - my score jumped 60 points. Not where it was a few months ago - but not "OMG we'll never get a decent mortgage" either. Once we sell the house and pay some of this down - it should jump back above 750 (or more).

• Like 3

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

I actually got out and walked this morning. Not a really long one, and no hills, but I got out of the apartment for a bit and got some fresh air. It really makes a difference and I REALLY need to make dragging my butt out of bed a few minutes early and doing that a priority.

In my mailbox I got a notification from my mortgage servicer that they'd paid 2 Insurance bills. THAT'S why I got one of those deposits from my insurance company. Interesting if they'd sent a bill since they told ME they wouldn't renew. So my Escrow just paid out *checks math* about 5X the normal insurance amount. Oy - that's going to be a big adjustment the next time the escrow is recalculated. I really need to sell the house before then as that will NOT be an insignificant amount tacked onto my payment.

On the other side - I was reading a thread just yesterday from someone that works outbreaks talking about the "6 month wall" and how everyone is now hitting it. I was thinking to myself that I hit that last month and realized everything really started for me at the BEGINNING of March, not the end (like most of the country) because I was stressed about moving, work was being a hassle and I was in a whirlwind trying to get stuff done WHILE social distancing expecting shut downs any second (and boiling that they weren't occurring TBH) - so my near break down a few weeks ago was apparently right on track. *expletive*

The time off and doing things *I* wanted to do rather than crap I HAD to do really helped. I'm in a better space - even if I'm looking at spending half of every weekend driving to\from Atlanta and packing cleaning for the next couple of months. If I can get the house on the market and sold - it'll be worth it. THEN I can take a REAL break, plan selling the next house and start planning (with real $$ accounted for) exactly what is\isn't possible for the homestead and make that dream an actual reality.

In other news, the amount of $$ I'm continuing to sock away + what I've already saved puts me on track to having what I'd need to retire by a couple of different calculators. I'm serious about not wanting to work full time after 60. And I'm a little shocked to see that I may actually be able to pull it off. So the next 10 years needs to see us settled in the homestead and have it largely - if not completely paid off. And if our side company is doing well enough for some income - all the better - it just makes the $$ last even longer. HUZZAH!

• Like 3

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Actually got up early this morning in anticipation of a walk. And it's raining. Like ALL DAY raining. But I'm up AND alert (which is so rare to be like, notable). Heck - looks like it's supposed to be raining on\off through tomorrow. I tried at least - and that's a GOOD thing :)

• Like 3

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

My fiance talks a lot about retiring by 50. I don't really know what I want or what my future my look like but I think I would really enjoy living on a homestead and painting for extra income :)  Or even if I can find an area that has decent internet and I could find a job that lets me be remote and work less hours. Its nice to read that others have similar hopes and dreams. I really do hope you reach your goal ❤️ 

And you definitely get points for getting up early even if the weather wasn't cooperating. 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

Or even if I can find an area that has decent internet and I could find a job that lets me be remote and work less hours

The ONE good thing I see coming out of COVID is the realization that 1) rural areas really DO need good internet and the infrastructure really needs to go in place - just like getting rural areas on the electric grid in the early\mid 20th century and 2) that some jobs can - and should - be remote.

I was already 100% remote - but with a fair amount of travel. What I'm finding (and management and customers too) is that we can get everything done remote. I don't see - even post Pandemic - me traveling NEARLY as much as I was - and there are already quite a few more remote opportunities. The key right NOW is to find that rural area with good internet. Even the surrounding (more rural) counties around us in TN are beefing up their infrastructure. They're charging more (fewer people and GB is only available along some corridors) - but it's getting there!

I very much recommend reviewing the lifestyle you'd like to have in retirement, how much it would ACTUALLY cost and what it'll take to get there. Part of ours is that to get to that level we do need the mortgage paid off - and I was thinking it would take another 5 years. But with the "flight" from NYC and CA to the areas where we're selling driving up prices - if we can sell at what I'm thinking we can - 10 years is doable :) So I'm keeping that target in mind until we sell and see where we are. Even then we can still keep it to 10 if we scale back on the final house. I don't see us compromising on HOW we want to build.... just on how big it needs to be :)

• Like 3

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

21 hours ago, Athaclena said:

But with the "flight" from NYC and CA to the areas where we're selling driving up prices - if we can sell at what I'm thinking we can - 10 years is doable

Quoting my own post here LOL.

The prices are being driven up in southern Burbs (Atlanta, Florida, etc) and in some select "desirable" rural areas. A good friend, for instance, finally decided to go full remote (got permission just before COVID) and hasn't been able to get a Lakehouse in the 2 communities he's looking for - they're selling same day sight unseen. No joke.

So the second half of my post relies on the little area where I want to move NOT becoming one of those areas all of a sudden. So time is of the essence. There are other "rural" more desirable areas that are in the "I'm moving from NYC, Bay Area, Seattle" affordable - so hopefully they stay out of the area WE'RE looking for a bit longer :)

• Like 2

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Made it down to Atlanta today, packed stuff, fully loaded the Excursion and made it back to Chattanooga. A few boxes dropped off at the Office\Warehouse, the rest are at the apartment and are full of clothes to be washed and sorted into keep, store because some day I\hubby may get back into it\can't let it go, donate. I figured everything should be washed and sorted here and there's a pretty big need for clothes donations. All are in good condition and some are business clothes so would be good for someone needing something nice for interviews....

It's good to make more headway - just need to keep it going - and by that I mean more weekends like this where we do a small chunk\split because I still have to keep up with stuff at the Apartment\daily life - and at least a SEMI-relax day to decompress.....

• Like 2

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Dragged my rear out of bed this morning for a short walk. Didn't feel as rejuvinating as the walks last week. I'm frustrated over back and forth emails with my new auto insurance as they asked for information I can no longer provide them since I cancelled my other policy. Trying to find out how much $$ per month it is to determine how much more time, thought, effort I actually need to put into this. While I can really use every extra $20/month - I'm beyond dealing with it at the moment. I need to focus on getting the house SOLD - then if I'm still peeved - I'll shop insurance again in 6 months.

I'm just done with the myriad of little things (on top of the big things). I didn't time Walmart p\u orders so I had to go IN yesterday. Ugh. So many people not wearing masks (or not bothering to wear them appropriately). I'm going to see if they actually do deliver to my apartment and if so - just sign up for Walmart Plus and get it delivered.

• Like 2

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Oh - and ramen is no longer 10/$1. It's 12/$2.50 ish. I picked up 2-12 packs. 1 pkg ramen + 2 eggs is a tasty, filling lunch without going WAY over on calories (considering I have a protein shake for breakfast) for < $1. I promise to start adding some cheap veggies to that - AND I'm keeping up with healthier dinners. I probably don't NEED to do that to make ends meet - but if it gives more wiggle room - hey - hopefully it's short term......

• Like 2

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Looks like I lost my discount. Upshot - $8/month. FFS the back and forth emails over $8 when I'm SAVING HUNDREDS per month over the old policy. If they'd just said - "you'll lose your 5% discount ($8/month) if you don't track that down" I'd have told them to just remove the discount. The STRESS over the equivalent of a salad at Zaxby's. Geesh.

Also - I found the perfect 30 acre property, near where we want (further out) but on the mountain we want for the PRICE we want including a reasonable house on it - which makes it like SUPER affordable as the gateway to our dreams. No internet. GAH!

• Like 1

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Time for an update (er, past time I see...)

1) I actually got out and walked 3 days this week. Not long ones, but I got out and WALKED.

2) Work has been going ok. This coming week is going to be a bear though - especially Monday .....

3) Ordered in dinner Friday and Saturday. Better than 3 or 4 times during the week - so yay LOL. And I kept it on the lower end of the $$ spectrum....

4) Spent Saturday at the office helping hubby with troubleshooting the NAS server (network attached storage for you non-IT folks). The nice thing about knowing about enterprise hardware is that you can build a kick-ass system from eBay finds. The *ugh* thing about that is sometimes you have to do some crazy technical gymnastics to get the parts from lots of different systems to work together. Things like installing a different operating system (in this case Ubuntu) to get the tools to poke the hardware (in this case the controller card that attaches to the big shelf of disks - you know - the STORAGE part LOL) to get it configured and reporting in. That took..... a really long time since finding some of the SPECIFIC VERSIONS of the tools (software tools that is) wasn't easy. BUT - we've gotten over that hurdle. Next steps is to put the other hardware cards back in for the complete solution, make sure they all work happily together - then install TrueNAS (the OS we plan to use for the software stack) and hope IT can see\talk to everything. Hubby's in a better head space since we got the cards talking - because the only other solution was spending more $$, which we don't really have and it was causing stress which is why he was freaking out and having issues finding what he needed and just needed someone there to help him research\Google\etc. while working through it. We'd already replaced the motherboard because apparently it didn't travel well from Atlanta and had to be replaced.... *whew*

5) Today I'm continuing to go through and wash\sort the boxes of clothes we brought back from the house last weekend. I also made my Walmart Grocery run (THIS time making the order for p\u so I didn't have to go in - FAR better experience). I need to make bread - getting that started in a few - and I'll probably make chicken burritos from some left over chicken for dinner.....

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Managed to make dinner and bread last night AND clean the kitchen.

Made it through work today (lots of challenges - sometimes being in technology blows when things just don't work), whipped up a Home Chef dinner AND cleaned the kitchen. Now to break away from "doom scrolling" social media and get some sleep....

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler