• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JulesVerne

Training to be a crystal gem

Hello, Nerd Fitness! I’m Julián but y’all can call me Jules. I’m a 25 y-o mexican guy and this is my first time doing this challenge, although it’s not my first time trying to get fit or lose weight. I made a post before about how my health or fitness level has almost never been a priority to me and I want to change that. I know that I cannot pull a switch and suddenly my first priority is going to be jogging in the morning and having a smoothie, even though I wished I could be that person; but that’s exactly what caught my attention from the challenge, the fact that it allowed you to take small steps and plan ahead. So, here I am. 

A little bit about me: I like languages and am starting a masters in modern languages in sep 14th. Some of my goals will be about academic stuff, basically I want to balance academia and health. I also love board games, tabletop rpgs, and books (hence my username). 

Now for the quest. Following the instructions of the worksheet, I wrote down five quests that sorta go downstream, so I will mention the first two, and according to my progress I will eventually “unlock” other quests and goals. I’ve never had more fun planning my monthly chores, for real lol; however, I’m going to focus my goals of this month for Q2, since technically I haven't really started classes at the time I'm posting this and I don’t wanna put a goal for Q1 that will not make sense once classes start: 

giphy.gif

Quest 1: Finish my first year of the master successfully (maintain a 9/10 average). 

1. Hold for the next challenge.

Quest 2: Lower my cholesterol triglycerides and bilirubin. 

1. Drink green tea instead of café con leche in the afternoon. I love to have a coffee with milk (iced or otherwise) at around 4-5, it's my snack, but this makes me drink too much milk during the day (around three cups) and also makes me crave sweet things that go well with coffee (i.e. cookies). By having green tea (or any tea really) I hope to "kill" that habit, also, it's healthy for you, right?

2. Eat eggs no more than 3 days per week. 

3. Wake up at 7 and work out 3-4 times per week.

So far I think the hardest thing will me waking up early to work-out. I used to be a huge early bird but now I go to bed at around 12am, maybe I'm drinking too much coffe :(

I’ll keep you guys posted!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JulesVerne said:

I think the hardest thing will me waking up early to work-out.

I used to wake up at 07:00 and exercise a few years back, but have been becoming lazy as of late and now I still wake up at 07:00, but don't exercise until around 10:00. If you find something that helps you to do it, please share. 

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Welcome. Looks like great goals! What board games do you play?

Right now I'm enjoying Forbidden Dessert and Unstable Unicorns :)

40 minutes ago, Caius said:

I used to wake up at 07:00 and exercise a few years back, but have been becoming lazy as of late and now I still wake up at 07:00, but don't exercise until around 10:00. If you find something that helps you to do it, please share. 

Same for me! I woke up at 6 or 7 (pre-covid), didn't work out tho :< now on a good day I wake up at 9 😕 I'm going to start by using the sleepyti.me app, it's worked for me in the past.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JulesVerne said:

Right now I'm enjoying Forbidden Dessert and Unstable Unicorns :)

Same for me! I woke up at 6 or 7 (pre-covid), didn't work out tho :< now on a good day I wake up at 9 😕 I'm going to start by using the sleepyti.me app, it's worked for me in the past.

I played Forbidden Dessert twice (or maybe three times) and lost by a bunch each time😁 I had never heard of Unstable Unicorns, so I looked it up. It looks hilarious!

• Like 1

So, I've had no luck waking up at 7, but I do wake up at 8, wich is earlier than last week, so I think we're improving from there. My activity level has not changed much but we're talking about buying a treadmill, since we need to keep moving, my mom and I, my commitment is still with the bodyweight workouts because I wanna gain muscle, since that's a good motivation for me.

I also started my classes today! I only have class tuesdays and thursdays, but it's kinda late in the day, so I'm going to be adjusting to a new schedule; I already knew this, though, so it's not affecting my goals :) I just get tired after being in class for hours. Online learning it's also gonna be challenge. 

• Like 3

Hey there! Following along. Good luck on your first challenge. And Unstable Unicorns is freaking awesome!

I know this might sound a bit of a stupid question, but what time do you go to bed at night? Not saying it will work for you, but maybe shifting bed time 10-15 minutes earlier might, eventually, start helping you wake up earlier as well. I know it works for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kvedulf said:

I know this might sound a bit of a stupid question, but what time do you go to bed at night? Not saying it will work for you, but maybe shifting bed time 10-15 minutes earlier might, eventually, start helping you wake up earlier as well.

Hey, there's no stupid questions! I go to bed at 11:30 give or take, but I have the bad habit of checking my phone for about an hour, so I don't really try to sleep until much later. I'm thinking of placing my phone in my desk instead of having it with me, so that I won't have those distractions.

7 hours ago, JulesVerne said:

I'm thinking of placing my phone in my desk instead of having it with me, so that I won't have those distractions.

That's a good strategy that I've seen lots of people use around here. I think @DJtrippyT has been doing that recently.

28 minutes ago, Xena said:

That's a good strategy that I've seen lots of people use around here. I think @DJtrippyT has been doing that recently.

YES! I put mine across the room and stream music through it. It’s upped my ability to concentrate 1000% 

and i I don’t keep it in my room at night anymore, for just that surfing-before-bed reason. I bought an alarm clock. 

On 9/15/2020 at 12:49 AM, JulesVerne said:

Right now I'm enjoying Forbidden Dessert and Unstable Unicorns

Ooh, I love Forbidden Desert! We own Forbidden Island, but it's too easy. We've never lost yet.

3 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Ooh, I love Forbidden Desert! We own Forbidden Island, but it's too easy. We've never lost yet.

LOlL, DId you see my post above? I needed you on my team, obviously

I played Forbidden Dessert twice (or maybe three times) and lost by a bunch each time😁