Kvedulf gets back in the saddle

Hi all

So it's been a while since I was here last. Used to be active back about 3-4 years ago. But unfortunately I drifted away, life got in the way and I stopped. But after @FatboySuave noticed me stalking his profile he convinced me to get back on to the forums with him and start a new challenge. So here I am. I've lost all my old habits, but I have a plan!

So things have changed and what I want to achieve as a person has changed. A combination of thinking, playing red dead redemption and coronavirus have made me realise a few things. So moving forward, my challenges are going to be based around achieving what I want to be, and where I want to see my life going. I don't really have a term for what I want to emulate like I used to (my old theme was based around emulating a samurai), beyond using terms like frontiersman, homesteader, bushranger or pioneer. There's a theme there though.

With that in mind, I'm starting off small and trying to mimic some of the behaviours that lead to growth when I was doing challenges:

Challenge 1: Get up earlier!

Between trying to homeschool my son, look after a twelve month old, do my own study and try to move forward on at least one small homestead goal each day, I don't have nearly enough time. So this challenge is simple: Every day, get up 5 minutes earlier until I'm getting up at 6am. This will allow me to get a couple of my other challenges done each day and give me a few moments to myself before the kids wake up.

Challenge 2: 5 minutes to myself to meditate!

I used to find that 5 minutes of daily zazen meditation really helped me. So I'm going to focus on getting that done again. If the first part of my challenge is successful, I can actually do it in the morning, before the kids get up.

Challenge 3: Complete the beginner bodyweight workout 3 times per week.

I like bodyweight training. A lot. When I do it. So this challenge is simple. Just do the BBW challenge 3 times each week.

Bonus challenges:

On top of those, there's a few things I'd like to try to do along the way that aren't critical to this challenge, but are definitely going to help me be better.

1. Build a small fire with my son each day. I've discovered a love of bushcrafting I never knew existed until recently. And my son shares it. I've only just started, and have finally built my first ever fire, in my 33 years of existence. So I'm going to try to practice firecraft each day, to the point where I can build a fire that is big enough and stable enough to cook on by the end of the month.

2. Make sure my son completes his homeschool lessons each and every day. And make them more interesting and engaging for him.

3. Complete at least 30 minutes of my own study each day. I'm currently studying a certificate in horticulture and a diploma in sustainability, both of which will help a lot in my long term goals. I need to pick up my effort in studying, as I'm starting to fall behind.

So that's my challenge. A little disorganised, but it's there. Now @FatboySuave can't get angry with me for abandoning him!

• Like 3

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

On 9/15/2020 at 6:49 PM, Kvedulf said:

But after @FatboySuave noticed me stalking his profile he convinced me to get back on to the forums with him and start a new challenge.

giphy.gif

Welcome back! I wasn't sure you'd get my message, but I'm glad we got to reconnect! (Maybe I need to message the rest of the old gang... lol) 

I love the theme of your challenge. Fire starting sounds like a cool and fun quest! 

And a belated congratulations on your son! Jeez, it's been a long time since we've been on these forums. Did you have any children back in the old days? Is he your first? 

• Like 1

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1 — 23456 — 78910111213 — 14 — 1516 — 17181920 — 2122 — 23

On 9/15/2020 at 8:49 PM, Kvedulf said:

Build a small fire with my son each day. I've discovered a love of bushcrafting I never knew existed until recently. And my son shares it. I've only just started, and have finally built my first ever fire, in my 33 years of existence. So I'm going to try to practice firecraft each day, to the point where I can build a fire that is big enough and stable enough to cook on by the end of the month.

I love all of your goals, but I'm really excited about watching this one come to fruition.

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

Right, update time. First thing, I have to find a way to make a little bit of time each day to check the forums, post on my challenge and post on other people's as well. For someone without a job, I am incredibly busy. Guess I have a subchallenge for this week now.  On to how I've been tracking.

Challenge 1: Going well. I was up at 6:05 this morning. Unfortunately, my kids have decided that now is also the time to start waking up earlier again as well. So even though I've been nailing this part of my challenge, it hasn't actually allowed me to do the things I wanted to use that extra time for. Oh well.

Challenge 2: I've been able to get two sets of meditation in. The first I couldn't last the full five minutes. The second one did, but it was messy. Still, meditation is exercise for the brain. The more I train the better I'll get. And I used to be able to do it, so I know it's something I can do.

Challenge 3: Complete fail on this one. Haven't had a chance to do a single workout at all.

On the bonus challenges:
1. Jr and I haven't made fire every day, but we've come really close to it. We only missed one day. And we've even toasted marshmallows. I don't think that counts as cooking though.

2. Homeschooling is going well. We went through a rough patch early in the week, but he's doing really well. The best lesson we've found? Word recognition by shooting flash cards with words on them with a nerf gun.

3. My own study hasn't happened this week. I've been running support for my partner who has been doing study and needed to submit a big assessment.

On 9/18/2020 at 1:05 AM, FatboySuave said:

Welcome back! I wasn't sure you'd get my message, but I'm glad we got to reconnect! (Maybe I need to message the rest of the old gang... lol) 

And a belated congratulations on your son! Jeez, it's been a long time since we've been on these forums. Did you have any children back in the old days? Is he your first? 

Maybe we should message the rest of the old crew. Hope they're all going well. I did have the son back in the old days, but he was only 2. He's all grown up at 6 now, and is being homeschooled. And has now been joined by his one year old little sister. So they're a handful.

22 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I love all of your goals, but I'm really excited about watching this one come to fruition.

Thank you! The fire is doing well. I use our bushcraft time as a chance for father-son bonding, but also as incentive for him to try hard while doing schoolwork. We even toasted marshmallows the other day.

On 9/16/2020 at 12:32 PM, Caius said:

Welcome back! 
Love how the goals are interrelated. Looking forward to hearing about the successes you have.

Thanks! One thing I've learnt is that if your challenges link together well, you get better results. Or at least, I did.

• Like 2

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

Hi there! Awesome challenge. I LOVE building fires, so did my son when he was small.

I found your whole post very thought provoking. I have a Permaculture Design Certificate, which might be something you would really enjoy, a lot of them online right now. 

"A fire-eater must eat fire, even if he has to kindle it himself." Isaac Asimov, Foundation

“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again."  Marie Lu, Legend  

Follow my character or current challenge