• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bgvanbur

bgvanbur does more than run redux

Last challenge sucked even though I did keep my running streak alive (on day 101).  So try again slightly modified.

Goals

Run every day.

Lift once a week.

Cross train once a week.

Eat primal every meal.

I'll even reuse last challenge's collage :)

minnie.jpg

• Like 2

Update Wednesday after lunch: so far I have ran every day, have not yet lifted or cross trained this week (planning thursday and friday and backup during weekend), and primal 3 meals.

Last challenge my goal was to bike once a week and it only happened once (unless you count a couple 1 milers with my kids which I don't, that is more casual than a workout).  I figured with the cold weather I would make the goal into cross train instead.  The biggest problem is my running streak takes priority so it means a non-short workout to do both.  Like when I biked last time, I ran for 50 minutes and biked the same path plus extra distance to make 50 minutes biking too.

But my main options will be in order of preference:
1) biking
2) driveway shenanigans: mix of jump rope, jumping jacks, tractor tire flipping, sledgehammer tractor tire, famer walks

3) yoga

4) kayaking with mother in law but probably too cold already

5) elliptical trainer (free from the side of the road!)

6) indoor recumbent bike (my wife had to have it and maybe put 15 miles on it)

• Like 2

So I did my cross train this morning with a 20 minute yoga for runners youtube video.  Then a simple 3 miler once the kids were on the bus.  Primal good except my wife bought everything bagels so I had one with dinner last night.  Just need to make sure to not to make too many exceptions like that.

• Like 2

I made a graphing paper tracker for the challenge (note I prefer Mon to Sun weeks as that is how I track my running).  I added extra columns for lifting and cross training since I might want to do extra :)  Last night after running errands the many tater tots sitting there called my name but otherwise primal.  Did a lift then run this morning (second mile was kind of slow due to legs and not heartrate then third mile was fastest).

uMRRrmQPY4jMxEwcXXbIZRKadIblm1--JPD-677y

• Like 2

I'm with you on the Mon-Sun!

I couldn't see your tracker (didn't load for me), but glad that you have something set up.

First week went well and considering first 2 days only had one primal meal the rest of the week was quite an improvement.  Note I count time after dinner as a meal (S for snack) since that is a place I struggle with unhealthy eating and progress is at least making smarter choices there for sure.

Week 1 Results

7/7 : Run every day.

1/1 Lift once a week.

1/1 : Cross train once a week.

16/28 : Eat primal every meal.

This morning I did another runner yoga video and a run.  I did some yardwork prior to the run and 0.2 miles in felt something crawling on my hand and had to shack off a slug that came along for the ride on my sweatshirt sleeve.  Then later on, some fucking asshole in a truck purposely drove really really close to me making me angry the rest of the run.  This is why I prefer the trails, usually the only assholeness out there is people not waving back :)

• Like 4

Yesterday I did my lifting followed by a fast 5k (29:12).  The first mile felt sluggish in the legs but was able to go fast, actually gave up for a part of the third half mile thinking maybe one fast mile was good but my pace was still good so I decided to stick to the original plan of a fast 5k.  Feels like I could lift more if I can ran fast afterwards, but I want to ease back into it rather than jump in and risk injury.

Primal diet is improving.

• Like 3

Week 2 went good.  I did an extra lifting session than required.  Did 2 more primal meals than week 1 (granted) wasn't doing challenge day 1 basically the weeks felt the same primalness.  Below I also broke down my primal meals by time of day tabulations and see that dinner and post dinner are my problematic areas.  That is my focus for week 3 to really work on that (though some dinners are not primal based on wife or mother-in-law making dinner but even don't make good choices when making dinner myself, but post dinner is totally on me).

Week 2 Results

7/7 : Run every day.

2/1 Lift once a week.

1/1 : Cross train once a week.

18/28 : Eat primal every meal.

Challenge Results (So Far)

14/14 : Run every day.

2/2 Lift once a week.

2/2 : Cross train once a week.

34/56 : Eat primal every meal.

Primal Breakdown By Meal (So Far)

11/14 Breakfast

10/14 : Lunch

5/14 : Dinner

8/14 : Post Dinner

• Like 2

Streak still going (137 days today).  On my birthday I did a 3.8 mile run and 38 km bike ride.  The next day my knee had a small ache I assumed for soreness.  Did a week of 3 mile runs and the ache was getting better but not gone.  So I went down to a week of 1 to 1.5 mile runs.  I also added in assisted pistol squats (kind of sad I lost the ability to do these) to help with the knee.  The ache finally went away, and did a few more 1 mile runs to be on the safe side and now starting to slowly add more to my runs again now.

And I went off the diet for my birthday and ate crap most of the time since except the last few days.

The challenge overall is about a C, I did my running streak, I did 4/5 of cross train and 3/5 of lifts, but only about a third of my meals were paleo.

• Like 1