• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sciread77

Adventurers of the Lucky Vale XIII

The last challenge ended on a solidly down note. I adopted the 75 Hard and fell off the wagon for a few days; now I’m working again on it but picking up where I left off instead of starting over. (Psychologically, all that’d do is make me definitely quit).

Found out the kids’ school is transitioning into partial in-person months earlier than initially expected and lacking in any sort of improvement data (except that “little kids don’t get and transmit it quite as much). The hybrid option means they only get schooling 3 days a week and would be split off from their best friends. We moved to a full commitment to remote for the semester. 

Jessie’s school situation is fine right now as the data strongly suggests high school aged kids are spreading it like wildfire. But she and Woody both had panic attacks when they announced the changes. 

I ended the challenge emotionally and physically exhausted, along with an utterly insatiable appetite that I cannot otherwise explain. Not a fan, especially since I had to cut out the running until I build/add flexibility to my back and leg muscles. 

On the (further) downside, we cancelled our 10th anniversary plans due to the pandemic. We’d been planning on vow renewal and the like but instead the kids will stay with their grandmas. On the upside though, we’re thinking we’ll take a trip to Japan once the pandemic ends, whenever that may be. So that’s exciting. 

Goals are the same as last time:

1. Sleep

2. Intermittent Fasting

3. 2x daily exercise (typically one will be yoga or flexibility based)

4. Daily reading 

5. Stay healthy 

6. Try to not freak out

7.  1 gallon of water/day

• Like 5

I really like number 6. That's a great goal :D 

I'm really glad you're not starting from the beginning in the 75 day challenge. It just seems built to set people up to fail. You've added some modifications to it that seem like you're going to be reducing stress, not adding to it. I'm cheering for you!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I really like number 6. That's a great goal :D 

I'm really glad you're not starting from the beginning in the 75 day challenge. It just seems built to set people up to fail. You've added some modifications to it that seem like you're going to be reducing stress, not adding to it. I'm cheering for you!

Thanks! We’ll see how it goes. 75 in a row sounds great. And I’ll still track my streak. But I have 3 kids 7 and under with a 4th on the way as well as 2 dogs, 2 cats, a dragon, a full-time job, and my wife has a full-time job. Frankly, it’s unlikely I won’t have to engage in some sort of emergency control over any given challenge (see my challenge history) and I’m far more dedicated to my people than I am to challenge criteria. 

6 makes sure I don’t go stupid over the rest of the challenge. I failed on diet (Oreos before bed while watching movies not suitable for children with Jessie over the weekend) and pictures (I still feel silly taking photos of myself in the mirror, maybe I’m an anti-narcissist?)

Also, edited to add “water” part of the goal.

Its not a goal but if we’re going to Japan I’m gonna work on learning Japanese. My work sister is fluent in Japanese and Korean and if I ever see her in person again we can chat!

• Like 4

Question spoilered, in case it makes you freak out, so don't read/answer until you're in a good place and not about to freak out...

So... what's your plan for how to not freak out?

... asking for a friend.

• Like 2

I am sorry to hear your last challenge did not end the way you wanted it to, but I am glad to see you back for another swing at it this round :) I will be following along.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

Question spoilered, in case it makes you freak out, so don't read/answer until you're in a good place and not about to freak out...

Hide contents

So... what's your plan for how to not freak out?

... asking for a friend.

Plan for not freaking out? The biggest thing is to talk to people before it gets bad and have as many contingencies as I can. There are two things I can think of that will really trigger it. 1. Jessie’s school goes back to 5 days a week while we’re still in such a bad way pandemic-wise. 2. One of us gets the virus. 

The rest I think can be involved with toned down social media and avoiding the temptation to conflate work with life. 

35 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

I am sorry to hear your last challenge did not end the way you wanted it to, but I am glad to see you back for another swing at it this round :) I will be following along.

Thanks, it’s good to have you!

• Like 4

Welcome back to another round. I’m with you on not panicking. ❤️ Realistically this pandemic was never going to be a fast thing to recover from, but I feel like 6 months in we would thought we were making more progress. *sigh*

• Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 5:04 AM, Ann of Vries said:

Welcome back to another round. I’m with you on not panicking. ❤️ Realistically this pandemic was never going to be a fast thing to recover from, but I feel like 6 months in we would thought we were making more progress. *sigh*

I totally hear you. I’m with you, not thinking it’d be over but at least thinking  people would take it seriously enough that we’d have waves. There have been no waves here. We’re still in the first wave. It’s a nightmare. I really thought our numbers would be something like 5-10x Canada’s because letting the administration health experts lead and taking credit for success is just a slam dunk.  

Rex cried for over an hour last night because he’s going to miss his (relatively new) teacher and friends and he’s also worried for them. But his new teacher seems pretty awesome too. Woody appears to have transitioned seamlessly. But it helps that more of his classmates came with him. 

• Like 4

On 9/16/2020 at 4:09 PM, Sciread77 said:

data (except that “little kids don’t get and transmit it quite as much)

Study Shows Only Scientists Listen To Other Scientists | The Mary Sue

Sounds SUPER helpful.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:26 PM, Sciread77 said:

The rest I think can be involved with toned down social media and avoiding the temptation to conflate work with life. 

Being that I axed social media (unless this counts?), I can say that the little bit of filtered through info that I *do* get consists of way less freaking out.  All I can really do is focus on working on myself.

Good to see you back.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 2:20 PM, Teros said:

Study Shows Only Scientists Listen To Other Scientists | The Mary Sue

Sounds SUPER helpful.

Being that I axed social media (unless this counts?), I can say that the little bit of filtered through info that I *do* get consists of way less freaking out.  All I can really do is focus on working on myself.

Good to see you back.

Very helpful if you’re looking for an excuse to say things were ok and avoid acting in the public interest. It won’t be long before the  “who could have predicted” idiocy begins. 

It’s good to be back. I’ve a love-hate with social media. This is not social media. Unless you move to the Ranger thread. 

• Haha 3

Well, I’m not dead yet! We had a birthday party including a unicorn bounce house, cupcake cake, gigantic pretzel, s’mores, and hot dogs roasted on the fire.  We only had our kids and their grandparents over but the kiddos bounce housed pretty hard. 

My family appears to be over COVID though my aunt got hit really hard at the end. She is back at work but literally all she has to do is sit in her truck right now, and she said she barely gets up. 

I theoretically went to bed early but a Daschund decided to leap and land on my stomach around 1 am, knocking the air out of me. He must have been going Mach 2. In any case, I was hot and fired up so it took a while to wind down and cool off. I’m a little tired today. 

• Like 2

I’m having the hardest time posting or even following most of my goals. I just kinda feel shot. But the good news is that it’s autumn and I love this season. Part of why I’m tired today is we met my parents at an orchard and got apples and pumpkins. It was fun, although it was stressful as a lot of people weren’t wearing masks or distancing so we basically had to walk around them/avoid them. 

On the plus side, we finally got my grandma’s yellow rose that my parents brought back (to their house) and ended up stuck with because quarantine/lockdown went into effect. So hopefully we’ll get that in the ground in time. 

I snagged some tips on how to protect my garden from pests like deer and rabbits. They have a lot of smaller, well-pruned fruit trees that are pretty close together and pretty close to the ground. I want a bunch of short, bushy trees so I can mimic a lot of their setup. At least, for the fields we visited. I need to pick up some tips on keeping pumpkins and watermelons safe. Apparently, the animals broke in and munched up most of my garden. 

On a positive note, we have cantaloupe? We didn’t plant any on purpose, but some seeds in our compose pile germinated and made at least two fruits. Who’d have thought?

• Like 4

On a better note, Sunday night Rex had a minor accident. It loosened his tooth. It hurt for a couple of days and Woody said it should be yanked out... I suggested that Rex just gently wiggle it and after a few days it would come out. 

Naturally, it wiggled loose in about 60 seconds. So he had his first tooth fairy experience. In our family lore, their great aunt is their tooth fairy. She was one of the 3 grandmas they had on my wife’s side and she’s the one who died two February’s ago.  They always look forward to visits from the tooth fairy because of that. 

Otherwise, I’m making it. IF Jessie’s school actually follows their reopening plans, nobody will have more than 10 students at a time, masks will be required or they’ll be ejected to virtual learning, and they’ll be able to be reasonably safe. The problem is, a lot of schools are making the plans and not really implementing them. 

How the hell does nobody really have a solid thought about this stuff after having all summer to figure it out? (I’ll tell you, superintendents met with public health experts and other academics/businesspeople with little to no classroom experience, much less recent experience, and made fluffy pie-in-the-sky plans unrelated to reality instead of working closely with teachers and staff, so they basically did nothing).

I also found out I’m switching regions again (disappointing but not a big deal) and my work husband is transferring to another team (which sucks like an Eight Pound Oreck).

I’m off tomorrow for another doctor’s appointment. Yay. 

Oh. Just found out that the kindergarten teacher at the private school we pulled the kids from tested positive for COVID-19. That would have been Rex’s teacher. They aren’t sure-either the whole class will have to quarantine for 14 days OR... they’ll clean the classroom and be back after 2 days. What?!  We made the right decision. 

• Like 3

Mildly stressing as I commissioned a custom art piece for Jessie for our 10th anniversary, and the artist said that between COVID and a few other things he won’t be able to come through. Artist is a cousin of mine. I totally understand and again am glad he’s ok but now I’m super last minute without the gift I’d planned. And I know custom art commissions usually take time. Bleck. 

• Like 3

Bought a van today. Traded my little Chevy Cruze for something the kids aren’t miserable in.  

Also found another tinsmith who can probably deliver by my anniversary if I’m willing to drive to get it the day before. So woohoo!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Bought a van today.

With the way covid is, might be best to bring that to a certain body of water....

15 Moments In TV History That Still Make Us Smile | Snl funny, Chris  farley, Saturday night live

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teros said:

With the way covid is, might be best to bring that to a certain body of water....

15 Moments In TV History That Still Make Us Smile | Snl funny, Chris  farley, Saturday night live

LOL

Well. Bought a SECOND van today. 

• Like 1

Here I am feeling stressed and overwhelmed with work because of spotty internet slowing work to a crawl and deadlines approaching...

Then Woody shows up with this. “Dad, I’m writing a book series. It’s about our family.”

Made my day. 

2E434A9D-A68F-43BE-8C31-35959B77BB83.jpeg

• Like 3