• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ladymorella

"And back again" Adventure

I'm a tad late to this. I do believe my last challenge (ages ago) was somewhere inbetween the " What are we holding on to, Sam? " to "I can’t recall the taste of food nor the sound of water… with nothing, no veil between me and the wheel of fire! I can see him with my waking eyes!" It had to do with big changes happening in my life and, as Frodo, I just sort of had to complete the terrible deed before anything else could be done.

FyreFestival.gif.43ce6e25faea966b55707288abaa7f0b.gif

I suppose now it is time to get back home.

I'm typically more Adventurer/Ranger, but I have always wanted to do a century. Life happened and I stopped riding. Then due to some health issues and my inability to handle the heat (I think you can see my city in the background of that gif) I'm not sure the one that I wanted to do would be feasible ever. Unless, a terrible thing happened and postponed it by 5 months and forced the core of training through our ridiculously mild winters. Enter COVID-19. IE this might be the only year ever I can do this race. (Yes "this" not "any" I get it, but its like a 20 year goal that has been on the back burner. And home advantage doesn't hurt right?)

I am in need of dropping weight and need to start building a base. I have about 7 months to prepare. Good thing/bad thing is due to the way my body handles things now I have to go slow so I am a tad worried its a bit late to start, but it does give me time for it to be feasible.

My goals:

Ride 20 miles a week in 2 rides. Or maybe three with one being about 10 miles (preferably on road bike). No other criteria. Not trying to go fast, but merely getting use to riding again and building a base. I have been riding the last couple months on a cheap mountain bike on dirt, but I need to build up time on the road bike. I can't really spend any time in the drops yet. It's way too aggressive.

Eat more deliberately. I'm going to stay kind of lax on this right now. I was emotionally eating pretty bad about a year ago. I managed to stop that, but it has still always been right there waiting. So I want to focus on just eating a little better. I want to make sure that I am cooking a decent meal at least twice a week. Decent being like a good 4-6 oz protein portion with some veggies. And making sure I have good snacks available.

Track water consumption. I am usually pretty good with drinking enough fluids, but lately I have been having some issues that seem like it could be dehydration. I will count tea and water the same. Goal is just to track, make sure I have water within reach, and notice if I see any difference.

5 minutes working on to-do list.  I have been pretty bad with keeping up with things lately. I will plan on just trying to spend 5 minutes a day on things I need to do. Laundry doesn't count. At least 1 item a week needs to be a bigger item. I don't have a list put together, but I have a pile of things I need to work on or sale along with some less common chores such as paint the shed.This can not be averaged and must be 5 min (ish) a day to count. But by no means will be cut off at the 5 min mark. The hard part is starting.

• Like 3

So this week I was insanely tired which is why I didn't start on time. I don't know what it was, but man I slept a ton this week.

I didn't get the 20 miles in this week, but I did get the 10ish ride in. I came in about 9.3mi. Bit sluggish and actually probably went a little harder than I wanted to. I kind of want to just be going at a lower zone right now. Like able to breathe without needing to mouth breathe/conversationally level. Ride felt good. My chain needs some love though it is sticky eww.

Didn't really track anything else this week. The rest will start tomorrow.

• Like 3

Welcome back! I can imagine lots of reasons for being tired. For me, this time of year I tend to sleep a bit more as the days get shorter. Hopefully you can get some rest and the energy will come.

On 9/23/2020 at 11:05 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

7 months will get you there if you stay healthy and consistent! Do you have a training plan written out, or going more by feel?

Not yet. I am sort of in the "I'm just riding a bike" and I want to come back and do better than ever. I don't want to get too excited about it yet, cause I don't know if my body can handle it. Right now it it literally just about feeling out my body on the bike and working on building to a training schedule that is feasible for training. Once I pass this stage which I expect to be about 2 months then I will reach out to my gym that has had a team do this race for 2 years and a row and figure out a schedule and probably reach out for some personal training plan with the coach. They will have a group training plan I think when it gets closer to time.

On 9/23/2020 at 6:15 PM, Xena said:

Welcome back! I can imagine lots of reasons for being tired. For me, this time of year I tend to sleep a bit more as the days get shorter. Hopefully you can get some rest and the energy will come.

Thank you. It has been too long. I wasn't sure if I would know anyone here again. It was good to see some familiar faces. I have been having some insomnia lately so  I suspect that is a lot of it. And the heat just takes it out of me. I wish it would cool off.

• Like 2

The tiredness continued. It has me a tad concerned that it is related to my increase in effort, but I really don't think so. I have had a terrible time falling asleep lately. Lying in bed for hours until about 2:30am and finally falling asleep. I actually resorted to some Zzquil a few nights.

Monday:

Ride: None 0/2

Food: 0/2 - Did pretty good about eating well, but no veggies for some reason

Water: 1/7 - 2 liters

To-Do: 1/7 - Got the 5 minutes in. No big items

Tuesday:

Ride: 0/2 - None

Water: 2/7 - 3 liters

To-Do: 1/7 - I was exhausted and pretty much went to sleep after I got off of work

Wednesday:

Ride: 0/2 - Tried to wake up early for a ride, but it didn't happen. Due to being so tired I decided to not force it.

Water: 2/7 - I didn't track for some reason. I think I did 2 liters, but the goal was tracking not any amount.

To-Do: 2/7 - I got 5 minutes in at lunch

Thursday:

Ride: 0/2 - Again couldn't wake up early enough. It was too hot still to go at night. I decided to just do Friday and Sat.

Food: 1/2 - I has some Carne Asada and a salad for lunch. I managed to hit the store to get some greens.

Water: 3/7 - 2 liters. I think I probably needed more or rather at least to start drinking water earlier in the day.

To-Do: 3/7 - Got 5 minutes in. No big items. I looked breifly on eBay to start research and then stopped.

Friday:

Ride: 0/2 - I went to sleep finally at about 2:30. I stayed up a little late and then tried to go to sleep about midnight and I couldn't sleep and eventually an email from work started to bother me and I couldn't shut it off. I'm at a new company and reviews are coming and I guess the first step is a self-review which I have never had to do. I don't know what to do about it. So I actually woke up at 12:30p.

Food: 1/2 - Did pretty good about eating well, but no veggies for some reason

Water: 4/7 - 1.5 liters. I didn't drink that much. I manager to go to sleep at a only a little late 11:30. So I guess for the time awake it wasn't bad, but I felt the symptoms that could be dehydration so I should have tried a little better early on.

To-Do: 4/7 - Got 5 minutes in plus a big item. I managed to primer my shed.

Saturday:

Ride: 1/2 - I woke up really late again. I think I woke up at 11:30, so a morning ride was out. I felt much better today and around sun down decided to try a ride. I went to a multi-use path near my house. I managed to get 13 miles in on my road bike. That is the longest I have been on the road bike in probably 5 years or more. It felt really good. It was 100 out when I started and managed to drop to 98 by the time I was done at 8pm. I actually had a 15 mph average for about 5 miles of it. That felt pretty good since I didn't feel like I was going hard. But I guess that it just the difference of not having stop lights? Haha I usually average like 12.

Food: 2/2 - I bought some rotisserie chicken at the store and made a salad.

Water: 5/7 - I am about 2.5 liters right now.  I have been tracking. I will likely get to about 3.

To-Do: 5/7 - Got 5 minutes in. I got a hitch for my car and a bike rack. The rack was installed, but wobbling like crazy. I looked online and there was a trick to get it to work right so I struggled with it for a bit before realizing there was 3 holes and I needed the 2nd one, not the third. It doesn't wobble now. It is pretty nice. Threw the bike on and then went on the ride. The rack seems really good. I'm glad I got it. The trunk rack I had was terrible as I have a hatchback and it couldn't really sit anywhere right. The rack already messed up my paint. I think it is fixable.

It will be interesting to see if I am sore tomorrow or on Monday as I felt kind of sore after the last road bike ride I was on and I went 4 miles more. I was aiming for 10-11 but took a couple wrong turns and miscalculated the turn around point.

• Like 1

So I realized/remembered these are Sunday to Saturday. I'm going to do Monday to Sunday though. I sort of already started that way. 

Sunday:

Ride:  2/2 -21 miles - After work I went out to the multi-use path again. And got 8 miles in. Perhaps against better judgement I rode my road bike again. My wrists seemed fine so I guess it's ok? We'll see how my grip feels in a day or two. Ride felt good. I did go a little harder than I wanted. I just wanted to get it over with so I could enjoy the night. 

Food: ✔ 2/2 - Better at food still no veggies. I love veggies I don't know why I never make them. 

Water: 6/7 - I'm at 3.25 liters so far. I should make another 1/4 to 1/2.

To-Do: 6/7 - Got the 5 minutes in. I was really hoping to get another big item done, but it just didn't happen. I can't wait for it to get cooler so I can get some outdoor things done at lunch. It would be prefect to list some items on eBay, but I just don't feel like starting at a monitor for 9 hours straight. So it never ends up happening. 

I had a mishap with my tracker and had to modify my map for tonight. As I was in the website I was looking at stats. I have been cycling more than I remembered. Below this is only GPS workout with a bike. About 50 of that is on the road bike. Not too bad I guess since this is really the first week of any serious goals. 

image.thumb.png.ee2e2734b3fd603aa86f5fc1e95f3d64.png

• Like 1

Looks good on the biking for the month! I do the same as you with the calendar (Mon-Sun). It's the only way that makes sense to me.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Xena said:

Looks good on the biking for the month! I do the same as you with the calendar (Mon-Sun). It's the only way that makes sense to me.

Yeah, I can see it going both ways.  I just started working Sun to Thu thus it would make more sense for me to do the Sun to sat, but benig a new shift I am all mixed up. Being at home all the time doesn't help much. haha

• Like 1

I can feel my hand is a tad hmm achy? sore? But not bad. I injured it a couple years ago and it hurts some sometimes. I don't feel sore otherwise which is good. Sometime right after lunch I did start to feel a bit nauseated and a bit of a headache. I was getting this about once a week for quite some time. I had a slight break for about a month of only having the issue every 2 weeks. Really tired of it. I probably shouldn't have done the two bike rides back to back cause I don't know if it was the heat now.

Monday:

Ride: 0/2 - None

Food: 1/2 - Rotisserie chicken and salad. I got some lettuce I really like to other day. I don't think it's that special, but it had 4 little heads in it and it seems to keep really well. Plus one varity that comes in it I do really like. Unfortunately I couldn't find one with it in it this time.

Water: 1/7 - At 2.5 liters so far.

To-Do: 1/7 - Got some items done today. Did a little bit at lunch and then again right after I got off work.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ladymorella said:

I can feel my hand is a tad hmm achy? sore? But not bad.

This flare-up is from the biking, right? I don't know much about biking, but do you have padded gloves? I'm guessing you probably do, but just wondering. But not sure if the problem is in the hand or the wrist (you might have said). If in the wrist, do you have any kind of little wrap you could wear?

4 hours ago, Xena said:

This flare-up is from the biking, right? I don't know much about biking, but do you have padded gloves? I'm guessing you probably do, but just wondering. But not sure if the problem is in the hand or the wrist (you might have said). If in the wrist, do you have any kind of little wrap you could wear?

Yes, it is. I do have padded gloves. I haven't used them recently. I probably will start soon on the longer rides to try to decrease slipperiness thus needing more grip. The issue with the wrist is more just the angle. The road bike has a more acute angle so I have to ease into it. My range of motion is pretty good. It will be fine so long as I don't spend too much time on the road bike too quickly. I have been stretching a little.

The main issue is outside part of my palm. I injured it a while back and sometimes it's just achy after things that have a long time of grip work. Not really sure why I thought it was just a contusion. It was probably about 4 years ago though so maybe I sprained something.

• Like 1

Tuesday:

Ride: 0/2 - None

Food: 2/2 - Rotisserie chicken and salad.

Water: 2/7 - 3.25 liters

To-Do: 2/7 - Got a little bit done. I got a tiny bit here and there before work, at lunch, but it didn't seem like much. I made myself list something on eBay before going to bed. But decided to list something other than the thing I was working on. It turns out I need better photos. I wasn't happy with the ones I got. 

Been a bit meh lately. Maybe I'm still recovering from whatever reason I was so tired last week. I'll leave this video. The band usually does metalcore hardcore, but they have a couple other songs. This one is mostly instrumental. Somehow it resonates so much with me. It popped up in my spotify summer replay list. I listened to it several times today. The begining is like how I feel now. I like the end cause I feel like I have gone through several big situations like that. 

"We know you said
You said there was nothing left down here
Well, I roamed around the wasteland
And I swear I found something
I found hope, I found God
I found the dreams of the believers
The dreams of the believers
Oh God, save us all"
Desolate Earth: The End is Here - Underoath
  • Like 1

Wedesday:

Ride: 1/2 - 8.73 mi. jumped on the mountain bike and road around the neighborhood a couple times.

Food: 2/2 - Not bad, but not enough veggies

Water: 3/7 - 3 liters

To-Do: 3/7 - Got a little bit done

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Do you have a preference for road vs mountain biking? Or is it mostly whichever is convenient at the time?

I'm guessing the planned century would be on road.

I have a "mountain" bike I think it is one of those Costco ones. I have spent most of my miles think year riding it in the neighborhood on it. My nephew and I have gone out on trails a few times. The one trail is mostly flat, but been enjoyable. We went on a trail most would actually call mountain biking and it was fun. I'm still not that comfortable with it. It takes skill and mine are still low. Falling here means falling into rocks or cactus most likely. I'm trying to find a trail that goes up skill wise from the one trail but not as hard as the next trail as my nephew expressed that he would rather do something else.

I do like road biking when on good road. My city doesn't take care of them. The multi-use path has been nice cause it was newly built so super smooth. But I can only do flat training and if people on there it slows you down a bit. Once I get more use to riding and have more distance I will start on some hilly roads. Those are a lot of fun.

So I guess I like both. For now I'm using the mountain bike as needed as a break for my grip strength as the road bike tires my grip and wrists more. And if riding in the neighborhood the road is rough and so the mountain bike helps.

• Like 2

Thursday:

Ride: 1/2 - No Ride

Food: 2/2 -

Water: 4/7 - 3 liters

To-Do: 4/7 - Got the min 5 minutes in

Friday:

Woke up super late again. I had trouble falling asleep. I set an alarm to wake up for a bike ride. but I was so tired I decided to wait some. I woke up 4-5 hours later. Woke up at about 11:20. So a bit of the day was gone as well. 😞 I don't know why I can't sleep. Also I have been getting enough sleep usually despite going to bed late and I don't know why I'm so tired.

Ride: 1/2 - Woke up too late to ride.

Food: 2/2 - I cooked up a slab of salmon, with some brussel sprouts and sweet potato side. I went to take a bite and realized the salmon wasn't good.😞 I had the veggie and side but no meat for breakfast/lunch

Water: 5/7 - 2 liters

To-Do: 5/7 - Got a little bit done

Side Quest: I decided just for the heck of it I would set my trip counters on my bike and car to zero to see if I could beat the miles of my car on my bike. If the remote working continues and as I increase miles I should be able to ride more than driving. I expect not this month, but maybe further out. Which is pretty crazy in the sprawled out west. However I had a bit of errands to do this weekend and when I started on them yesterday I was almost at the first stop and then realized that I forgot to bring any masks. Doh! So right off the bat I added I think it was 9 miles in wasted mileage. Also I will be going camping soon so I probably can't over come the mileage of that. So I will probably except it if I can remember to track it and see how it compares without it.

Oh and then I went to the place for my bike ride today and as soon as I got out I realized I forgot my cyclocomputer. So now everything will have to be tracked with a lot of special exceptions. Oh well I guess if I track it on paper it will be easier to make sure I don't forgot rides on the mountain bike.

Saturday:

Ride: 2/2 - Woke up later than I wanted, but still earlier enough to go out. I got 12.2 mi. in. I went to a new spot for a multipath. I just prefer not having to deal with traffic right now. It looks like a good candidate to keep riding on. It is on the outskirts of town and access is limited thus like 95% of the users were cyclists. I brought my padded gloves, but my hands seemed to tire with them more. So I took them off. I don't know if I was just gripping harder since I'm still getting use to it? The gloves are quite old so I suppose that might play into it.

Food: 3/2 - After the salmon fail yesterday I bought some more. I made salmon and brussel sprouts for lunch. It came out good and I have left overs for tomorrow now. Yum!

Water: 6/7 - 3.75 liters. I had my app not save or I added on the wrong day or something and had to re-record it, but I think that is right. It might be off as I may have drank .5 liter more.

To-Do: 6/7 - Got a little bit done today. A lot of it just had to do with my upcoming impromptu camping trip. So it needs to be done, but not originally on  my to-do list. However I did finally buy and outside broom so I can sweep my porches. They look terrible. We had a lot of wind this summer and my outdoor broom was very terrible so I stopped trying.

Tomorrow the plan is to plan out my meals for the trip. I think I have most of what I need, but need to plan it out to be sure.

• Like 1

Sorry about the first salmon, it's disappointing when a meal falls through.  But I'm very glad you figured out it was bad before eating it!

How long is your camping trip?

13 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Sorry about the first salmon, it's disappointing when a meal falls through.  But I'm very glad you figured out it was bad before eating it!

How long is your camping trip?

Since fairly last minute and all I don't know for sure yet. I am thinking of backpacking the first night and then either continuing or coming back and base camping for another night. With an optional 3rd night. Haha how is that for a lack of plan? We haven't been to the area before so I'm not sure what to expect and will be taking my old dog with me so I don't know what all he can handle. If he can't do a lot of walking then we might be ready to go after about a day. So this means I have to plan for 4 days just in case. Haha, not a great plan, but the spots I know well burned and aren't open.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ladymorella said:

Haha how is that for a lack of plan?

meh, it sounds like enough of a plan of sorts. It's reasonable and flexible. Hope you have fun!

Even though it has gotten a little complicated, I like the idea of trying to compete the miles between car and bike!

• Like 1

Sunday:

Ride: 3/2 - 9.46 mi got off of work and decided after hitting the store to go for a ride. Should I have been planning out my meals? Yes. Yes, I should.

Food: 4/2  ✔  - Had the left overs of Salmon, brussel sprouts and 

giphy.gif

Water: 7/7 ✔ - I am at about 3.5 liters so far. Probably get a little more

To-Do: 7/7 - I did get some more done today. Not as much as I wanted, but at least I got some things done.

Side Quest: Bike 21.66 mi : Car 49.0 mi - You know how sometimes you have certain errands you only have like every month or 6 weeks? Of course I had all those this week. The dog needed food, I had to buy a stamp, plus the extra miles for the forgotten mask, extra miles for the camping trip, then a second trip to the outdoor store cause I forgot things.

I started the day as a hobbit. Breakfast, 2nd breakfast. lunch hahah. I had a small breakfast of about 230 calories or so and was pretty hungry come 10am. The beauty of working from home. I take a 10 minute break to make some tea, cook an egg, and make some toast. Back at my desk just in time. And lucky for me I could eat it without a call to make it go cold. I can easily eat while doing other work.

Once I got off work I ran off to the store to take advantage of a sale at a store that had Vitalyte. I like it the most for electrolytes. So I have to say that honestly I thought about missing out on the deal just so I didn't put another 7 miles on my car throwing my numbers. 😂

Once I got home it was a tad cooler (think 94ish) I felt like going for a short ride. But it ended up over 9 miles. I hadn't done that route so I guessed really incorrectly.  I got home and totally had the exercise high. Oops too hard. The ride went ok though. Due to the darkness I decided to modify my route some and did my first major cross streets left in 5 years. That road really was rough for about a mile or so. I had a nice gradual downhill, but couldn't pedal cause my bike was super rough at only 18mph. I was a tad concerned I was going to lose control. It turns out the route I wanted was further away than I thought I and miscalculated expected mileage. I managed to drop my water bottle along a busy road. I haven't done that since I first start riding years ago. I think it was just right after the bumpy part and maybe my hands were still tingly from all the vibrating. However I retrieved the bottle with no issue. Once I got to my turn it was smooth from there.

I think at about halfway I just kept going faster. I would like to get a HR monitor. I think mine finally bit the dust. But with all these smart watches they are just so pricey. Polar doesn't seem to have what I want so I think I need to look into Garmin.

• Like 2

Monday:

Ride: 0/2  - None

Food: 0/2 - Most of my meats are in the freezer. I might have an issue hitting this this week.

Water: 1/7 - 3 liters

To-Do: 1/7 - I some things done.

Side Quest: Bike 21.66 mi : Car 49.0 mi - No change

Been trying to figure out the last few things I need to put together for my trip. Need to pull out cool weather clothes. Also I keep trying to figure out where on earth my MP3 player is. I have checked all the places I thought it could be. It has been lost since about week 1 of working from home. I last remember using it either in the car or on a walk, but for the life of my I can't remember which and can't find it in the usual places. I was really hoping to bring it along, but I haven't been able to find it for months.

Today was a terrible day. I don't really know why. I felt ok when I work up, was a little annoyed I woke up too late to go on a ride, but after having trouble sleeping I knew it was very probable. I value the sleep over the rides. I started feeling in a terrible mood in a right off the bat meeting at work, but there was really nothing wrong in it. I had some issues with things I had to do, but no more than normal. I think it was either the lack of sleep, being a little annoyed at myself that I am not more prepared for the trip, or a thing I have to do for work this week. Or maybe a little of all three. I do think the one item was weighing on me though as I was talking with coworker about it and started crying. But then again I started crying probably 3-4 times today so who knows. Thank God for remote work. I felt a bit better after talking with her. It was towards the end of the day and soon after I was off and went on the ride. So I feel better now. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Tuesday:

Ride: 1/2  - 15.73 mi. I needed some escape and I didn't wake up early today as planned for a ride so I went for it. Even though I decided last night I would not so I could finish the things I need to do. But really yesterday I just lie outside for a bit staring at the sky for at least 20 minutes to destress so what is a little more? Took a slightly different route then Sunday and it went a little better. It felt really good in every way. Towards the very end my trap was starting to bother me ever so slightly. So I think I need to start on the exercises that help me with that. Negative pull ups are the best, but really hard right now so that means I will have to do boring things instead. This has been a reoccurring thing for me for a few years.

Food: 0/2 - Most of my meats are in the freezer.

Water: 2/7 - 2.5 liters so far I think. I have been getting into a bad habit of adding it up at the end of the day. This seems right though as I think I stopped drinking after lunch until I got off work.

To-Do: 2/7 - I had a very productive lunch. Jumped off the clock. Gave the dog a bath. Ran to the store for the soy sauce. And made the marinade and threw it on the meat.

Side Quest: Bike 37.39 mi : Car 52.3 mi - Changes in both today. Again extra driving due to just poor planning and camping related. I ran out of soy sauce for the jerky I am making. I actually would be at a two mile difference at this point if no prepping for the trip!