• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Anim07734

Anim Is Only Mostly Late

Which is a lot better than being all late.

As usual, I'm working a hundred different projects and forgetting to update on any of them.  So this challenge will be more of the same.  I keep hoping that having a thread with people tracking me will make me actually track what I'm doing and accomplishing, instead of just randomly working on things and forgetting what progress I've made.  But that keeps not happening. :P

So here are my most recent finished projects, both built from scrapwood as I try to turn my garage from a garbage pile back into a usable workshop.

IMG_20200924_205133126

IMG_20200924_205124763

And because it's been a while, here's some turtle cuteness:

IMG_20200917_145529322

• Like 2

Turtle cuteness!

Also I am jealous of your spray paint rack... mine are all on a shelf and I haven't nearly that many colors. At the rate you're going, you can open your garage as a mini-hardware store. :) Maybe make it specifically for cosplayers who just needs scraps and odd bits of things. That's an interesting business idea. 

Anyway, what else are you (supposed to be) working on? Is it finally cooling off a bit for you? 

• Like 1

We combined our paints when my fiancee moved in, and have been getting new ones as needed for projects we're working/planning, so it keeps growing.  I was tired of them all sitting in boxes covered in sawdust, so we couldn't see what we had, and decided this was a good use of some scrap (plus less scrap to organize).  I'm hoping that having it all organized and visible will make it easier to avoid having doubles/near-doubles like we currently do and maybe save us some time and money in the long run.

My garage is already the workshop for several friends, because I have the most space for it and the most interest in collecting tools of my own.  So while most of the tools are mine, I have access to a drill press, a router, and a bunch of random accessories that are being stored in my shop for when the owner needs them.  We also share all our scrap (one of my rules is "anything that isn't claimed for a project is up for grabs, so if you leave it here when you're done, anyone else can use it").  Part of my current problem is that we had several projects going at the same time/in rapid succession last year and didn't take the time to clean between them, so it got out of hand.

I'm not looking to make shop access into a business, both because of liability and because I only want friends randomly dropping by my house. :P But I do keep looking at some of my finished projects and thinking "I bet other crafters would like one of these and building more wouldn't be terrible."  So assuming I ever do the paperwork to get our Etsy up and running, that will probably be part of it (the tax/legal paperwork and tracking, not Etsy specific).

The hurricane last week skimmed us (between Pensacola and Panama City), so all the rain knocked the temperature down.  But now that things are drying out, it's heating up again.  It normally starts cooling off in October here, but it's been a warmer than normal year, so we'll just have to see how it goes.

Projects I'm currently supposed to be working on (in no particular order):

Finish cleaning the garage

Pull out Halloween decorations

Clean up after the hurricane (just sticks, a couple branches, and such, we just got wind and rain for a couple days, no real damage)

Finish putting in new flower beds by the garden

Clean up and tarp the dirt strip next to the garage so I can move the extra rock out of the driveway (bought to finish the patio border)

Repot some of my elephant ears for a friend's house (freeing up one of my pots for a rain chain)

Redo the compost area

Continue removing azaleas so we can start on Speedy's area next year

Setup the fiancee's new computer and get Zoom working (bought from a friend who needed to keep the HD for business records, so just waiting on a new one)

Making my wedding outfit (still working out design)

Moving/mounting pictures and weapon displays

Hall bathroom remodel

Finish painting my lizardman miniatures (half done, currently taking up half the dining room table)

Hem the fiancee's new workpants

Updates on 6-8? costumes

Finish another 4-6 half-done costumes

Paint wedding centerpiece/table marker animals (including making 6? more so we have enough)

Fix the fiancee's treasure box I broke

Finish new treasure box for dragon eggs the fiancee made

Clean and organize my desk (again)

Make maps for my DnD game

More DnD worldbuilding (currently supposed to be working on nations/political areas and languages, then need to revisit deities and races/cultures)

Figuring out a new workout plan/schedule I'll actually stick to while teleworking

And probably a dozen other things I'm forgetting :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Making my wedding outfit (still working out design)

Ooooooh that's right, you have a wedding coming up! I presume that's gonna be next year, and you're planning on having at least a couple guests? (Hence the wedding centerpiece thing). 

Also dang, dude I feel busy with just one cosplay per year. I don't know how you find time to exist with multiples going on at once. 

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Ooooooh that's right, you have a wedding coming up! I presume that's gonna be next year, and you're planning on having at least a couple guests? (Hence the wedding centerpiece thing). 

Also dang, dude I feel busy with just one cosplay per year. I don't know how you find time to exist with multiples going on at once. 

Our wedding is Friday the 13th of August next year, and we currently have 200+ guests invited.  We'll see how that goes as we get closer.  Florida just decided to reopen everything, and apparently a bunch of our friends decided to go bar hopping to celebrate...  So I don't have high hopes for this pandemic ending, since none of the numbers have gone down to prompt this decision.

We generally do 2-3 conventions a year and wear 4-5 costumes to each.  Most of those are repeats of previous years and we do a lot of simple costumes, like our Princess Bride, where I just bought my outfit pieces and her dress was just tailoring a pattern.  So we only really do a couple involved costumes each year, and that's a lot easier when you can tag team it.  We've also gotten good at figuring out what has to be finished and what can be hidden from pictures when we get to the last minute crunch. :P 

Also, when you go work on your languages, or reading, or otherwise bettering yourself as a person, I go work on another costume. :P:P

• Wow 1

11 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Florida just decided to reopen everything, and apparently a bunch of our friends decided to go bar hopping to celebrate...  So I don't have high hopes for this pandemic ending, since none of the numbers have gone down to prompt this decision.

b48a7f848203577b430649f0a0b70a40.gif

We generally do 2-3 conventions a year and wear 4-5 costumes to each.  Most of those are repeats of previous years and we do a lot of simple costumes, like our Princess Bride, where I just bought my outfit pieces and her dress was just tailoring a pattern.  So we only really do a couple involved costumes each year, and that's a lot easier when you can tag team it.  We've also gotten good at figuring out what has to be finished and what can be hidden from pictures when we get to the last minute crunch. :P 

Dang, no kidding. All your photos look amazing - I can't think of a single one that I'd thought you hadn't finished completely. 

Also, when you go work on your languages, or reading, or otherwise bettering yourself as a person, I go work on another costume. :P:P

SNORT. And this is why I call you the cosplay guru and whinge at you for advice when I'm stuck on something. :D 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Dang, no kidding. All your photos look amazing - I can't think of a single one that I'd thought you hadn't finished completely. 

One of the things on my topic list if/when I start a costuming blog of some sort (probably whenever we get our store up and running and need FB/insta/etc posts to promote it) is a detailed accounting of everything that's gone wrong with my costumes.  Show a bunch of photos of how awesome one looks, then list out everything I had to patch, or fell apart over the day, or was only held together with safety pins, duct tape, and hope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

One of the things on my topic list if/when I start a costuming blog of some sort (probably whenever we get our store up and running and need FB/insta/etc posts to promote it) is a detailed accounting of everything that's gone wrong with my costumes.  Show a bunch of photos of how awesome one looks, then list out everything I had to patch, or fell apart over the day, or was only held together with safety pins, duct tape, and hope.

Hahahaha. I would love to read that, because I can so relate. I've been wanting to get more(read: better) pictures of the Thor costume, but the edges of the sabatons split while I was wearing it, and there are a number of wear spots where you can see the worbla color through the paint, and one of the shoulder/ cape decorations separated from the pin that held it on when I was taking it off.  Part of me is like "just slapdash it so you can take better pictures," but the perfectionist whispers that if I just go back and fix it properly (lots of work), I could possibly sell it...... So instead it sits there, neither fixed nor trashed. Taboo felt fairly solid, but until it has to survive a whole day, who knows. Maybe by my 4th or 5th costume, I'll have something that is solid enough to survive a day's wear. 😆

• Like 1

I have a pullup bar again!

This probably makes me happier than it should, but I threw out my old (6+yrs) pullup bar when the padding finally fell off.  Then we got locked down and everyone bought up all the home workout gear in town before I knew it.  And with everything going on, they just now got the reasonably priced ones back in stock.  So it's been 6months since I had a convenient pullup option, and workouts are a lot less fun without them.

Other things that have happened since I'm remarkably bad at updating:

-Fiancee's new computer is up and running; named him Ogma after the Irish/Celtic hero-god who invented their language (all my PCs are named after knowledge deities)

-New flowerbeds are finished, using dirt from beside the house (yay, combined projects to reduce work)

-Garage path is cleaned and tarped; one or two more wheelbarrows of rock left in the driveway, then I have to get more to finish it properly

-My desk got (mostly) cleaned and is now collecting a new pile of "things to be sorted later"

-Making progress on lizardmen, new treasure box, and ribbon/tule racks I had forgotten about

• Like 2

On 10/4/2020 at 9:03 AM, Manarelle said:

Sssssssssoooooooooooo........ how are the projects going? :)

I was trying to get to a point where it was worth taking update pictures, but that not happening.  I got the yard cleaned up and the patio arch fixed just in time for another hurricane to start threatening (we're at the far eastern edge of the cone for Delta, as it continues to move further west, so keeping an eye on it, but don't expect more than a long thunderstorm here).  The fiancee signed up for FX makeup classes every Saturday this month, which is awesome, but takes up most of our afternoon, so very little else got done last weekend.  Then I got the sandpaper I was waiting on to continue the new treasure box, and promptly got an eye full of sawdust.  2.5hrs of everything short of an emergency room visit got it clean enough for me to sleep (at 1AM) but given the ongoing soreness, I'm pretty sure I cut something.  Not much I can do about it other than rest and eyedrops.

I was doing well until Sunday, but it's amazing how a rough couple days can ruin your whole week.  Planning to relax and work on low energy projects the next couple days, to hopefully clear some backlog and workspace for other things.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

I was doing well until Sunday, but it's amazing how a rough couple days can ruin your whole week.  Planning to relax and work on low energy projects the next couple days, to hopefully clear some backlog and workspace for other things.

Good call. Sorry you had such a crap weekend. Definitely time for some self-care and downtime. 

• Thanks 1

My eye recovered quicker than I expected, so I got back into projects.  Treasure box is coming along; I'm hoping to use the router for final shaping tomorrow or Tuesday, then I'm just waiting on weather for stain and poly.  I've got some other stuff I can prep while waiting for that, so I'll probably end up with a garage full of wood projects to be finished at the same time.

IMG_20201011_162655_01

And because I like showing off her work, here's what my fiancee has done for her makeup class the past 2 saturdays:

Vampire 2020 Mummy 2020

They're teaching classic monster movie makeup techniques with modern materials.  Next week is Bride of Frankenstein, so she's got a friend coming over to model (I offered, but she doesn't want to figure out how to adapt it to a guy on her first try).

Also, in the interest of building a workout "plan," my exercise for the day was pulling 9 totes (6 halloween decorations, plus the ones blocking them) out of the attic.  My left knee decided to act up, so I had to take a break halfway through.  Need to get back into squats and/or running to correct that.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

They're teaching classic monster movie makeup techniques with modern materials.  Next week is Bride of Frankenstein, so she's got a friend coming over to model (I offered, but she doesn't want to figure out how to adapt it to a guy on her first try).

Understandable on not wanting to try to adapt it on the first go. The vampire and mummy look great though! I totally hear you on piling up projects while waiting on weather... not fun. 

Wait, I'm wrapping up a challenge on time?  What's happening here?

I didn't really set goals this challenge, but I think I'm heading in the right direction with starting to track things again.  Going to build on that next challenge and see how it goes.

Progress this week:

Treasure box is ready for stain and poly (the lid will have hinges and a latch)

IMG_20201017_223259222 IMG_20201017_223313603

As are the ribbon racks

IMG_20201017_233138464

And we put out most of our Halloween decorations for the year

IMG_20201017_172738001_HDR IMG_20201017_172713664_HDR IMG_20201017_173715138_HDR IMG_20201017_173759133

• Like 2

Woo, heck yeah for unexpected on-time-ness! The treasure box looks amazing, even raw, and your spider webs are LOTR-worthy. Looks like a productive month, indeed.