How do you see non personal development hobbies?

Hey everyone, long-time NF fan, newbie poster.

Something I want to ask you all about is your hobbies which may be viewed as non personal development.

I do have some fun hobbies that I totally tie into my goals, like playing video games or watching movies in a language I am learning for example. So those sort of things I see as part of my goals, not a distraction from them.

But on the other hand, I consider myself to be a maladaptive daydreamer, and I can find myself spending a lot of hours on things like attempting creative writing, using "maker" type programs (The Sims, RPGMaker, Solarus, D&D map makers, etc.) I fully acknowledge that for some people, hobbies like writing or game design could very much be their actual goal too.

TDLR: I have some hobbies and interests that I end up telling myself "successful people don't use up their time with this..." but maybe they do? I would love to hear about all your personal thoughts and experiences on this sort of thing.

First of all - damn you for that font background. It was pain to read through. 

giphy.gif

But about your question - everybody needs some sort of distraction or plain relax form everyday struggle. How you achieve that is absolutely up to you - even if it would mean singing to mushrooms for them to grow happier (not that I do such thing, not at all... ).

It's not that every second of your time has to be devoted to self-development. The trick here is to balance the "productive time" and the "off time". If such balance is the problem, maybe use some sort of schedule or timer to limit your daydreaming time, rather than remorsefully kicking yourself for it afterwards. 

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Everything Aramis said.  Also, who says hobbies that don't directly tie to your personal, or successful, or whatever measuring stick you use, growth don't come into play in those areas whether you realize it or not?  Every new thing or improved thing effects how you think and may actually give you an advantage when you can tackle a task from a different angle as compared to the person who only followed the linear path. 

Besides, down time is important to healing, refocusing, and not burning out.  Enjoy that thing!

• Like 1

daily dare   46 45 44  43 42 41  40 39 38 37 36 35  34 32  31 30  29  28 27  26  25 24 23 22 21 20 19  18  17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 #8 #7  #6  #5 #4 #3  #2 #1