Has anyone tried a wobble stool?

I work a desk job (from home, now) and my main hobbies are writing and drawing, so I spend an astronomical amount of time sitting, and sometimes I set up my stuff on my dresser so I can stand, but sitting still and standing still both end up uncomfortable pretty quick, and I have to spend like 30-60 minutes stretching every day (I don't) to ward off unbelievable tightness and pain (which I'm currently feeling, see about not doing adequate stretching). Yes, I should stretch more, per instructions given to me by a physical therapist, BUT to mitigate some of the endless stationary time throughout my day, I was thinking about replacing my desk chair (which is mediocre at best) with a wobble stool. Has anyone tried it? Are they worth the money or should I stick a cushion on a PVC pipe or something janky like that?

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

One the university library locations I go to has one of those: they are fun. I have not used them long term, just for variation, but I think it could work for you. Just keep in mind it IS  a stool so no back support, so you have to remember to keep a good posture. I have some success with one of those "back correctors" you see online because they do pull at your shoulders when you slouch.

oh and I never was one of those kids who leaned the chair backwards or forwards constantly (just sometimes) and I did not find it easy to actually tilt it and balance on the point like all the pictures show but maybe you could :)

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

I have not used a wobble stool, but I do occasionally swap my exercise ball for my chair at my home desk. I do find it helpful to be able to bounce around a little plus even when I'm not moving around much on it, it still forces me to engage my core more. Exercise balls can be had pretty cheap if you want to get one to try out before you go for the stool.

• Like 2

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

One-legged stool is something that reminds me on nitroglycerin production :) 

http://lateralscience.blogspot.com/2014/10/scottish-nitroglycerin-one-legged-stools.html

But those can be surprisingly comfortable when you get used to it. Exercise ball is another option, yet stool takes lots less space.

• Like 1

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

On 10/27/2020 at 11:43 PM, Aθena said:

One the university library locations I go to has one of those: they are fun. I have not used them long term, just for variation, but I think it could work for you. Just keep in mind it IS  a stool so no back support, so you have to remember to keep a good posture. I have some success with one of those "back correctors" you see online because they do pull at your shoulders when you slouch.

oh and I never was one of those kids who leaned the chair backwards or forwards constantly (just sometimes) and I did not find it easy to actually tilt it and balance on the point like all the pictures show but maybe you could :)

Yeah, I would probably swap out with a chair with a backrest when I get tired, I'm just hoping some mobility will help my hips and feeling so restless. My friend has one of those back correctors and loves it!

On 10/28/2020 at 6:05 AM, Artemis Prime said:

I have not used a wobble stool, but I do occasionally swap my exercise ball for my chair at my home desk. I do find it helpful to be able to bounce around a little plus even when I'm not moving around much on it, it still forces me to engage my core more. Exercise balls can be had pretty cheap if you want to get one to try out before you go for the stool.

My family had a couple big exercise balls when I was a teenager. I don't really have the space right now, unfortunately. I put off bringing home my desk chair for a long time because there is only about 4 feet of floor space between the edge of my desk and the end of my bed, and if whatever I'm sitting on doesn't push all the way in, it gets just a hair more crowded than I like.

On 10/29/2020 at 3:50 AM, aramis said:

One-legged stool is something that reminds me on nitroglycerin production :) 

http://lateralscience.blogspot.com/2014/10/scottish-nitroglycerin-one-legged-stools.html

But those can be surprisingly comfortable when you get used to it. Exercise ball is another option, yet stool takes lots less space.

Hah! I did not associate it with nitroglycerin but maybe now I will? :P

Thanks all for your input!

• Like 2

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

My stool is wobbly, and has a good height range too. I have a standing desk but do need to sit down sometimes. I vary between perching and having it low with my feet properly on the floor. I'm always wriggling about. (For some reason I often seem to end up with one leg on the desk...)

It was tough at first and I would get tired without the back support, but I soon adjusted.

My shoulder pain has improved considerably since using the standing desk and wobble stool. 

• Like 1

Keladris the Bard
Current XP: 130
Current Challenge: Rebuilding
---------------------------------------------------------
Previous challenges: Respawn Limbering up | Going Forth | Lifting the thing | Exploring | Staying the course | Stabilising | Preparing | Counting WinsRolling Initiative | Catching up | Building Base Camp

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/nilserik-standing-support-white-vissle-gray-30309724/

I'm not sure it's technically a wobble stall, but it does wobble, so... I think it's designed to tilt so you can perch on it whilst standing.

• Thanks 1

Keladris the Bard
Current XP: 130
Current Challenge: Rebuilding
---------------------------------------------------------
Previous challenges: Respawn Limbering up | Going Forth | Lifting the thing | Exploring | Staying the course | Stabilising | Preparing | Counting WinsRolling Initiative | Catching up | Building Base Camp