WhiteGhost Goes Back To High School

Hurry up, the bell is going to ring soon and we don't want to be tardy for the first day back in school!

Back to School Sponsorship Program - Women's and Children's Alliance

I am stealing a theme from @deftona because I love it and she doesn't seem to be using it anymore :P

Now, I know that school has been back in session for a couple of months by now, but this is 2020 so time is essentially meaningless anyway.  

Let's get down to it.  School is busy, especially for high school students, with a whole load of classes and extra-curricular activities.  I am taking a heavy load this semester and will certainly have my hands full.

PE:  Physical Education classes are all about building up a baseline of health & mobility so for this class I will be following a set workout regimen and schedule.  I will have PE class 3 times per week.

Science:  I am taking an integrated science class this semester which means it will not be limited to just one specific area.  This class will also not have an associated lab portion so it will primarily be sitting through lectures (Youtube TED talks on a scientific theme).  I will have to sit at least 3 lectures each week.

Social Studies:  This class is going to be graded heavily on the textbooks, so I need to make sure I get them read.  I will need to finish all three of the required text books (Books covering any sociology related topic) before finals coming up at the end of the challenge.

Music: I have signed up for Folk Guitar Ukulele this year so I will need to be working on some of the classics.  The assignment is to learn 6 campfire songs over the course of the semester and perform them before an audience (you good folks here).  Videos of the song for each week need to be submitted at the end of each week.

Art:  I selected drawing as one of my electives so I will need to spend time with my pencils and paper.  Art is subjective so this class will not be graded on the output but on in the input.  A minimum of one hour each week needs to be spent with a pencil in hand, regardless of how much actually gets put down in the end, or what it looks like.

Language:  I have signed up for 3 languages this semester - Russian, Korean, and Spanish.  Coursework will need to be submitted through Duolingo and I need to do at least one assignment for each language each day.

Home Ec:  This class many of you may not have heard of but back in the day we had classes called Home Economics, which were mostly about cooking and sewing, but also included general home maintenance and other related topics.  This class is going to be focused mostly on cooking and I will need to produce a homemade dish at least 5 times each week.  A suggested menu for the meals must be submitted in advance.

Release Time:  This is another that was probably unique to my area.  Laws in the US do not allow religion classes in public schools, but my school district got around this by having an hour of "Release Time" that students could elect to include in our schedule for religious education during the day.   For this class I need to spend time reading at least one chapter of scripture every day.

Drama:  An elective that is know for taking up loads of time for those who participate, this one is going to be no different.  I will be spending at least 2 half days each week doing dramatic performances (DMing live online D&D sessions) and prep work will certainly take even more time.  Add to this my PbP campaign and time will certainly be tight.

Gymnastics:  Another important part of high school extra curricular life is sports.  While PE is going to be primarily about routine and planned activity, gymnastics is going to be focusing on skills and mobility.  Some of this will be done in association with my PE classes, some of it will also be its own independent session.  There may or may not be a meet (videos of skill progress) sometime during the semester.

Dating:  What is high school without dating?  I need to spend time every week doing something with or specifically for my crush.  This could be watching a movie together, cooking together, writing her love letters or even making out :) 

Grades will come out after finals which will be the final weekend of the challenge.

8tracks radio | can't wait to graduate (21 songs) | free and music playlist

Specifics of class schedules, menus, etc. will follow as they get worked out

Spoiler

Class Schedule:

1st Period: PE

2nd Period: Gymnastics/Drama
Lunch

3rd Period: Music
4th Period: Language
5th Period: Science/Art (Alternating days)
6th Period: Social Studies

7th Period: Home Ec

8th Period: Release Time

• Like 15
On 10/16/2020 at 2:57 PM, deftona said:

What a great theme! You have a ton of stuff on this challenge but I know you'll smash it (especially dating class). Also, do kids not do home economics any more?!

I figured you would like this one ;)  I think Home Ec got phased out when they started focusing on common core stuff.  Maybe earlier.

22 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

There's a song I haven't heard since I was actually in high school...

• Haha 2

On 10/16/2020 at 2:10 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I have signed up for Folk Guitar Ukulele

It's supposed to be way easier on your fingers since there's less cramping, I heard.

produce a homemade dish at least 5 times each week.  A suggested menu for the meals must be submitted in advance.

Lunch Lady approved

Lunch Lady Dance GIF - LunchLady Dance Jump - Discover & Share GIFs 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

but this is 2020 so time is essentially meaningless anyway.  

truest statement I've heard

On 10/17/2020 at 10:51 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I think Home Ec got phased out when they started focusing on common core stuff.  Maybe earlier.

My sister is technically a "home ec" teacher...it looks nothing like what I did in school, (granted that's been over 30 years). They still cook, no focus on sewing, but a lot of focus on household management.

• Like 3
On 10/18/2020 at 10:57 PM, Teros said:

It's supposed to be way easier on your fingers since there's less cramping, I heard.

I have both a guitar and a ukulele but I have only ever really learned anything on the ukulele.  Maybe someday I will try to learn something on the guitar.  But today is not that day.

On 10/19/2020 at 6:40 AM, KB Girl said:

Fun theme! Especially love the dating. Good for you :)

Dating is always the fun part when you aren't filled with teenage angst and insecurity.  Good thing I'm already going steady with someone.  :) 

21 hours ago, fleaball said:

following!

Welcome!

13 hours ago, RES said:

My sister is technically a "home ec" teacher...it looks nothing like what I did in school, (granted that's been over 30 years). They still cook, no focus on sewing, but a lot of focus on household management.

Huh, I wonder how universal that is.  I know that in my school they phased it out shortly after I went through because it wasn't there for younger siblings.  Definitely different back in those days, though (mid-80s for me).  Home Ec was required for girls but optional for boys, whereas woodshop was required for boys and optional for girls.  I think there were only 2 or 3 boys in my Home Ec class, and no girls in woodshop. 

11 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Oh what an awesome theme! :D Can't wait to see the lunch menus and those music class assignments. :) 

Have fun!!

The overall menu ideas are getting in place, but not sure yet which order I will do them in.  I have a list of over 20 songs to choose from so I have some room to drop songs that are too hard or for which I can't find good arrangements.

10 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Loving the theme and can’t wait to see how it unfolds! 

Here's hoping it turns out better than my actual high school experience did ;) 

9 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Not gonna lie, i am here for the D&D and the possible drag-wedding-pictures...

That's a good reminder, I don't think I ever shared the final version of our pics.  I should do that.

-----------------------------------------------

This morning a sluffed gym class because I stayed in bed snogging & snuggling.  Ghostess didn't feel like going into the office today so she did all of her stuff from home which was a really nice change of pace.  By the time we finally got up it was almost time for lunch so we had brunch instead and then we got all of our shoes organized and I made a trip over to the cobbler to because a bunch of them needed repair and/or cleaning.  There wasn't any parking nearby so I ended up having to walk about a mile each way from where I parked so I ended up getting in a little bit of remedial PE anyway.

After I got back I did some of my other classwork as follows:

Social Studies - I read a chapter in Blink, which is a book about how people make instant "gut" decisions and the implications of those both good and bad.

Language - I did a unit each of Russian, Korean, Spanish and Esperanto in Duolingo

Art - I watched some Youtube videos about drawing basics and found a guy who looks like he may have some interesting tutorials to watch.  We'll see tomorrow if I like his stuff or not.

Music - I learned the chords for Blowin in the Wind and My Grandfather's Clock and got so I am comfortable playing those if I am looking at the music.  I think I will try to have these ones down well enough to present by the end of the week.

Science - I watched a Youtube video explaining how Tesla came up with a single flow valve with no moving parts and then watched another in which some guys built a working retractable light saber and explained the science (and limitations) behind it.  

Release Time - I read a chapter of scripture

Home Ec - Ghostess and I made dinner together which was garlic shrimp over glass noodles and pigeon soup with tofu, mushrooms, and spinach.

I got some more dating stuff done while we were making dinner.  We spent a big chunk of time peeling shrimp and we watched Miss Congeniality 2 while we did that.

• Like 13
8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

(mid-80s for me).

Same here, neither was required for either though. Several of her classes are required now (she's in TX) I haven't paid attention to requirements since my kids graduated TBH.

and yes I did just follow you on Insta for food pictures :D 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Loving this theme so much! Following along :D

Welcome, so glad to have you along

18 hours ago, raptron said:

The theme is adorable. You are tackling so many subjects AND still finding time for sports and dating. IMPRESSIVE. 😄

High school is a BUSY TIME!!!!

14 hours ago, shaar said:

I don't have much of anything to say yet EXCEPT that I am here to follow and also that food looks - as usual - AMAZING.

I suppose I should probably put a warning not to come here hungry ;) 

14 hours ago, RES said:

Same here, neither was required for either though. Several of her classes are required now (she's in TX) I haven't paid attention to requirements since my kids graduated TBH.

and yes I did just follow you on Insta for food pictures :D 

I have no idea what school is like in the US at all anymore.  I hear things have changed a lot since our time

I only use my IG for putting pictures on NF, so you will be getting a lot of overlap here ;) 

12 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Loving the theme! Following! :) 

Hi, lovely to have you :) 

----------------------------------

Today was a busy day

1st period was PE so I went to the park and after faffing about for a bit decided to have it be push day.  I did all kinds of push exercises but probably a good 1/3 of it was various planche progressions.  MY biggest weakness in planches right now is anterior deltoid strength, but in order to get to the normal progressions for my stage I need to build up ROM and strength in my wrists.  I had a good time with a firend there experimenting on ideas for progressions that we can work on that are not overly wrist intensive

2nd period was Gymnastics which was kind of concurrent with PE.  MY gymnastics stuff focused on handstands and so I did a whole bunch of those focusing on various items like endurance, form, dynamic movements (straight to straddle & back, etc.), single hand balance, and other funky stuff like offset hands (one on the ground, the other on a bench, etc.)

Lunch was a protein shake and a small bag of nuts.

3rd Period was Science and I watched a really interesting video about quantum physics and the paradoxes it raises for both Newtonian physics and also the religious concept of duality.  I will definitely be following along with this series for the next few classes

4th Period was Social Studies and I read another chapter in Blink.  I am going to need to find my next textbook soon because I will probably finish this one by the end of the week. 

5th Period was Music and I practiced some more ont he songs from yesterday and started working on There Was an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly and Do Your Ears Hang Low, both of which didn't have great chord arrangements so I have been trying to come up with my own.

5th Period was supposed to be Art but I sluffed it because I just didn't wanna

6th Period was language and I did a session each for all of my target languages on Duo

7th Period was Home Ec and I made some creamy shrimp sauce to go on top of some homemade noodles.  I think I reduced the sauce a bit too much and and went a little too heavy on the seasonings.  The flavor profile was good but way too strong. 

B- for today's assignment

Release Time will happen in a few minutes once Ghostlet is in bed and things get quiet around here

• Like 12
7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I only use my IG for putting pictures on NF, so you will be getting a lot of overlap here ;) 

I'm okay with this...I love food :D 

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

There Was an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly and Do Your Ears Hang Low

now there's a couple songs that take me back...and are now stuck in my head! :lol: 

• Like 1
On 10/19/2020 at 11:21 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Here's hoping it turns out better than my actual high school experience did ;) 

Dear gosh, yes. At least you know the dating scene will work out with minimal drama (knock on wood). 

Home Ec was required for girls but optional for boys, whereas woodshop was required for boys and optional for girls.  I think there were only 2 or 3 boys in my Home Ec class, and no girls in woodshop. 

Interesting. Everyone had to take home ec and shop class when I was in middle school, then high school you got to choose everything outside of main curriculum. I'm glad, too, 'cause shop class was lots of fun. Home ec was meh 'cause I'd been doing that stuff at home for years by then. 

On 10/19/2020 at 11:00 AM, Mr_Willes said:

Not gonna lie, i am here for the D&D and the possible drag-wedding-pictures...

That's a good reminder, I don't think I ever shared the final version of our pics.  I should do that.

Yes, yes you should. :) 

Following again. 

• Like 1
On 10/19/2020 at 4:21 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Home Ec was required for girls but optional for boys, whereas woodshop was required for boys and optional for girls.  I think there were only 2 or 3 boys in my Home Ec class, and no girls in woodshop. 

#Everydaysexism

In my school we had to do a technology but we could choose which one. Our choices were Home ec, textiles, resistant materials (wood and metal working), graphic design and electronics. 

Of course, I chose resistant materials and I was the only girl in my class but I got to play with some aggressive saws and crap that blasted fire and it was incredible

• Like 8

In my school (in Italy and 20 years ago) we had one class for everything*: we did some wood/metalworking there, but also crocheted and sewed... No Home Ec per se, we just cooked ONCE (in 13 years xD) during italian class, we got to choose if we wanted to make Pizza or Tiramisu from scratch. xD Only useful skill I ever learned in that class (I am Italian, but speak german and attended german schools. In Italy. It's complicated. xD). That was middle school though, not high school. For high school it depends on what school you choose. Mine was scientific - so the only thing we "cooked" was stuff in the chemistry lab. :D My niece attends a more "domestic" school right now, they have actual cooking classes and stuff (she wants to be a nutritionist when she grows up). 

*we didn't have just ONE class of course, but one for all... manifacturing things. xD

Do you plan to do 7 classes each day? That really is quite a lot!! Poor kids these days, no time left to be a child and play... :D 

• Like 3