WhiteGhost Goes Back To High School

16 hours ago, RES said:

now there's a couple songs that take me back...and are now stuck in my head! :lol: 

At least it wasn't The Song That Never Ends from Lambchop's Singalong ;) 

14 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Dear gosh, yes. At least you know the dating scene will work out with minimal drama (knock on wood). 

Oh heck yeah. dating in High School... did not go well at all

Interesting. Everyone had to take home ec and shop class when I was in middle school, then high school you got to choose everything outside of main curriculum. I'm glad, too, 'cause shop class was lots of fun. Home ec was meh 'cause I'd been doing that stuff at home for years by then. 

I only took Home Ec because my mom made me.  She said it would be a heck of a lot more useful than something like Biology (background: my mom was a botanist).  She wasn't wrong :) 

Yes, yes you should.

I will, I just need to find a good way to do get them uploaded.  IG doesn't seem like the right platform for that.  Maybe I can Imgur to work again

7 hours ago, deftona said:

#Everydaysexism

Yeah, but institutionalized...

7 hours ago, deftona said:

aggressive saws and crap that blasted fire

This is what school is supposed to be all about!

7 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

That was middle school though

Full disclosure: Home Ec was a middle school thing for us too, but I retconned it into a high school course for the purpose of this challenge ;) 

I am Italian, but speak german and attended german schools. In Italy. It's complicated.

I would use "fascinating" instead of "complicated" but I guess both could work in this case :) 

Do you plan to do 7 classes each day? That really is quite a lot!! Poor kids these days, no time left to be a child and play... :D 

Tell me about it.  I do plan to do 7-8 classes a day for the weekdays but if things get to be too much I may drop a class.  At least I have it better than Ghostlet who actually has 7-8 classes per day plus homework and exams he need to study for :( 

6 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Love the theme! And it sounds like you’re doing great already!

Off to a good start :)  And welcome!

5 hours ago, Epsilonte said:
6 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

t's...

The North (i guess)

Yes :D 

I have no Idea what you guys are talking about.

---------------------------------

Today started out well, but then went off the rails a bit

1st Period was PE and I went to the gym to do a pull workout.  I didn't have a lot of energy, though, so I didn't push myself very hard.  I think the biggest reason was because I am all out of Pre-Workout and I can't get any to replace it (collateral damage from the trade war that people forgot to cancel when the pandemic hit).  Perhaps trying to operate without caffeine when the body is expecting caffeine is not the ideal situation for optimal performance.

2nd Period was Gymnastics and I completely phoned it in.  I did some kips and mill circles on the pullup bar and then called it a day.

Lunch was nuts and sausage

3rd Period was music and I spent some more time practicing my songs for this week.

4th Period was supposed to be Science but instead of my video about quantum mechanics I got sucked into a binge marathon of Pitch Meeting because funny movie critiques are TIGHT

After that my day went completely off the rails because Ghostess decided to skive work and check out the new Zara Flagship Store that opened up here and is supposed to be the biggest one in Asia.  She invited me to go along so the rest of the day turned into a date doing shopping and dinner and then more shopping.  I think it was the first time we have been out in a regular physical store just shopping for clothes and whatnot since this whole pandemic thing started.

I might make up some of those classes I missed later this evening.  Or I might just play Skryim. Only time will tell.

• Like 15
1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

She invited me to go along so the rest of the day turned into a date doing shopping and dinner and then more shopping.  I think it was the first time we have been out in a regular physical store just shopping for clothes and whatnot since this whole pandemic thing started.

Extra credit and teacher's pet. :D

I only took Home Ec because my mom made me.  She said it would be a heck of a lot more useful than something like Biology (background: my mom was a botanist).  She wasn't wrong :) 

Props to your mom for being psychic. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

1st Period was PE and I went to the gym to do a pull workout.  I didn't have a lot of energy, though, so I didn't push myself very hard.  I think the biggest reason was because I am all out of Pre-Workout and I can't get any to replace it (collateral damage from the trade war that people forgot to cancel when the pandemic hit).  Perhaps trying to operate without caffeine when the body is expecting caffeine is not the ideal situation for optimal performance.

Okay you figured out caffeine is the biggest stimulant in PWO, nowadays i just use caffeine capsules (it really helps on the second parts of a long run!), a heck of a lot cheaper. I only really miss the Beta Alanine, cause i loved the jacked up feeling from the caffeine combined with the face itch from B-A. Maybe i need a good PWO to get back into my homegym...

• Like 1
17 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have no Idea what you guys are talking about.

Do you have some time for an extracurricular geography/history lesson? :D

There is a little part of northern Italy called South Tyrol, that once (before WW1) belonged to Austria and over 100 years later still has a German speaking majority. There were some really harsh tries to "make everyone Italian" in the 1930ies - see here: it basically boils down to "either you become Italian, get a new Italian name, forget about Austria or you move to Germany". (My grandpa was actually in prison for a time because he refused to give up his roots and relocate... ). After WW2 it slowly gained autonomy (with the help of Austria), so now it is an autonomous province, hence it has three official languages (Italian, German and Ladin instead of just Italian), German schools etc. Here is a bit about it in the great history book called wikipedia, the history is really quite fascinating if you have a little time for it. :) This is where I'm from orignially, super beautiful country (lots of mountains) and the BEST food since we have a mix of Austrian and Italian food. :D Hence why I'm officially Italian, but speak German (I learned the Italian language for 12 years, but haven't used it actively since moving for university 13 years ago) and went to a German school. 

• Like 6
23 hours ago, sylph said:

Insert appropriately sophomoric joke here.

hahaha, VERY appropriate :D 

22 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Props to your mom for being psychic. 

Amazing insight she had there

15 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Loving the challenge!

I was required to take both home-ec & woodshop/metalshop in middle school.

Interesting, I thought the class had been phased out but it seems it is still quite common in most places.

8 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Okay you figured out caffeine is the biggest stimulant in PWO, nowadays i just use caffeine capsules (it really helps on the second parts of a long run!), a heck of a lot cheaper. I only really miss the Beta Alanine, cause i loved the jacked up feeling from the caffeine combined with the face itch from B-A. Maybe i need a good PWO to get back into my homegym...

Oh yeah, I learned about the key components of PWO when I was trying to buy one of the largest manufacturers a few years ago.  Sometimes I just go with those Crystal Light powdered juice to go packs with caffeine (or something similar) as a substitute.  Unfortunately, those are no longer available either.  Getting used to working out without caffeine is going to be rough.

6 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Do you have some time for an extracurricular geography/history lesson? :D

There is a little part of northern Italy called South Tyrol, that once (before WW1) belonged to Austria and over 100 years later still has a German speaking majority. There were some really harsh tries to "make everyone Italian" in the 1930ies - see here: it basically boils down to "either you become Italian, get a new Italian name, forget about Austria or you move to Germany". (My grandpa was actually in prison for a time because he refused to give up his roots and relocate... ). After WW2 it slowly gained autonomy (with the help of Austria), so now it is an autonomous province, hence it has three official languages (Italian, German and Ladin instead of just Italian), German schools etc. Here is a bit about it in the great history book called wikipedia, the history is really quite fascinating if you have a little time for it. :) This is where I'm from orignially, super beautiful country (lots of mountains) and the BEST food since we have a mix of Austrian and Italian food. :D Hence why I'm officially Italian, but speak German (I learned the Italian language for 12 years, but haven't used it actively since moving for university 13 years ago) and went to a German school. 

Wow, that is really interesting.  I had never heard of this and just kind of assumed your parents put you in an international school or something.  This explanation is way cooler

------------------------------------

No PE on Thursdays so today was a bit of a change-up in routine

1st Period and 2nd Period are combined into Drama.  Today was our Phandelver campaign it was a lot of fun.  There were a bunch of times when I unfortunately had to stop things to look them up but overall I think most people had a good time.  We got into a massive fight in the beginning of the session (about 20 goblins/hobgoblins all attacking at the same time) and it was looking really dicey.  Some quick thinking on the part of the ranged fighters and some pretty poor rolling on the part of the goblins meant none of the PCs even went down.  There were a few times when I had to completely make stuff up when the players had creative ideas (like trying to enter the castle from the roof).  I completely lost track of time so we ended up going way over time so the rest of the day kind of got off track.

Lunch was sandwich and some fruit

3rd Period was Home Ec because I needed to have dinner ready early.  Ghostlet has classes on Thursday and Friday evenings so he only has about an hour between when he gets home and when he needs to leave for his class, I needed to have dinner ready when he got home.  Today was Spinach Lasagna with home made noodles and I thought it came out really well.  It was my first time to make lasagna noodles and they came out without a hitch.  Ghostlet didn't seem to be a big fan, but probably because he doesn't like tomato based sauces anyway and especially not ones that aren't filled with meat.

4th Period was Science and I watched part two of the Quantum Mechanics lecture series I found on Youtube.  I also bought a couple of books on the subject for reading once I finish this series.

5th Period was Music and I figured out the chords for the songs I picked yesterday and then practiced all of my songs for this week.

The rest of the day was taken up by chores (washing dishes & laundry) so I didn't get to Language, Social Studies or Release Time.

• Like 12
On 10/16/2020 at 1:10 AM, WhiteGhost said:

or even making out :) 

Good choice my friend! Who doesn't love a good makeout sesh?

Self hug GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Awesome looking challenge, sir. Really digging all 8 "periods" and how you are integrating them into RL stuff. I'm gonna do my best to make it over here more often to check up on your progress and make sure you're passing this semester at the top of your class :) 

Wolf

• Like 1
On 10/21/2020 at 11:19 AM, WhiteGhost said:

After that my day went completely off the rails because Ghostess decided to skive work and check out the new Zara Flagship Store that opened up here and is supposed to be the biggest one in Asia.  She invited me to go along so the rest of the day turned into a date doing shopping and dinner and then more shopping.  I think it was the first time we have been out in a regular physical store just shopping for clothes and whatnot since this whole pandemic thing started.

I love this~

Boyfriend and I started technically "dating" during the pandemic here and we're slowly but surely going on like.... real dates to like STORES and DINNER and stuff and isn't it nice and wild and refreshing and reminiscent of a calmer time?? I mean not like the Rona is going anywhere but snippets in time like this are a nice nostalgic normal...

• Like 5
On 10/21/2020 at 11:19 AM, WhiteGhost said:

At least it wasn't The Song That Never Ends from Lambchop's Singalong ;) 

You just had to go there...

Loving the looks of that lasagna 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, @mu said:

In!  Any chance of a ukulele video any time soon?

You betcha :)  The class requires a submission of two songs per week to be submitted before the end of Sunday to receive full credit.

22 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Who doesn't love a good makeout sesh?

Good makeout sessions are da bomb, yo!

22 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Awesome looking challenge, sir. Really digging all 8 "periods" and how you are integrating them into RL stuff. I'm gonna do my best to make it over here more often to check up on your progress and make sure you're passing this semester at the top of your class

Thanks brother!  I need to do better about getting out following everyone else's challenges this time around.  I am already way behind.

18 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Ohhh making your own lasagna noodles is cool :) did you notice a big taste difference? 

Not from the noodles themselves.  Lasagna is pretty flavorful from the sauce and the cheese so the noodles didn't really move the needle.  Not having any meat, made a difference but it was still yummy.

17 hours ago, shaar said:

I love this~

Boyfriend and I started technically "dating" during the pandemic here and we're slowly but surely going on like.... real dates to like STORES and DINNER and stuff and isn't it nice and wild and refreshing and reminiscent of a calmer time?? I mean not like the Rona is going anywhere but snippets in time like this are a nice nostalgic normal...

Virtual dates are better than nothing, but they still don't hold a candle to going out and actually doing things together.

15 hours ago, RES said:

You just had to go there...

Loving the looks of that lasagna 

Now I'm tempted to just randomly name some silly song in every update just to mess with you.  Pretty sure you can't get The Farmer in the Dell stuck in your head, though, right? :P 

----------------------------------------------

Today got a little off track but I was able to bring it back in line

1st Period was PE.  I got a late start, and didn't make it to the park until about 10am.  I decided it was time for Leg Day, so that's what I did.  I only did about 2/3 of my regular exercises, but it was enough to wipe me out because I compressed it all into about half the usual time.

2nd Period was gymnastics and I did some bar work (kips, giants, back uprises) and some handstands.

Lunch was leftover lasagna

I was supposed to go over to our church building to get fire extinguishers inspected but I REALLY didn't want to so I didn't.  Instead I jst sat at home worrying about the consequences of not going and second guessing myself and ended up wasting as much time as it would have taken had I actually gone.  Not a great use of an afternoon.  I got back on track in the evening, though.

3rd Period (delayed) was Science and I watched the 3rd and final Youtube lecture from the series I had been watching while waiting for Ghostlet to come home.  It got off into really tangential stuff about religion and politics, so not really as interesting as the first few.  I found a couple of new books to get started on from next week, though.

4th period was Music and I spent some time practicing on the uke once I had dropped Ghostlet off at his evening class

5th period was Social Studies and I read another chapter of Blink about how gut reactions relate to product marketing.  While I was doing that, Ghostlet was doing an online class that his school required about not taking drugs.

6th Period was Language and I got in one lesson for all 4 languages

7th Period was Art and I finally watched my tutorial on drawing faces at 3/4 angle and got in a few practice faces.  I think this was useful but I will need more practice.

Friday does not have Home Ec (We usually just order pizza)

Release Time was last and I finished off the day with a couple of chapters because one of them was really short.

This challenge seems to helping enormously with productivity, but the unintended consequence is that I have a lot less time for following along and keeping up with everyone else's challenges.  Apologies if I have a hard time keeping up with all you great folks.

• Like 11
On 10/22/2020 at 6:07 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Wow, that is really interesting.  I had never heard of this and just kind of assumed your parents put you in an international school or something.  This explanation is way cooler

4th Period was Science and I watched part two of the Quantum Mechanics lecture series I found on Youtube.  I also bought a couple of books on the subject for reading once I finish this series.

Always happy to help with education. :D 

What series on QM are you watching (or rather: did you watch, since you finished it already)? 

Pizza-Friday is something, every family should have. :)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Always happy to help with education. :D 

What series on QM are you watching (or rather: did you watch, since you finished it already)? 

Pizza-Friday is something, every family should have. :)

I was watching this series.  

Today was also quite busy

1st Period and 2nd Period was Drama.  I play D&D on Saturday morning with my family back in the US.  It used to be every other week, but after the Saltmarsh campaign ended it may become a weekly thing.  This week my brother also joined which was really nice.  He is the one who introduced me to D&D back in the 80s and I haven't played it with him since then.  We finished off our tutorial campaign so I need to figure out what I am going to do for next time.  I am waffling between Tyranny of Dragons, Storm King's Thunder, or Tales from Yawning Portal.

Lunch was braised fish with tofu and fish tofu.  So lots of fish and tofu :D 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGu5NoPAes9/?igshid=1y1auygn5gzuk

(Not sure why that isn't embedding)

3rd Period was Social Studies and I read part of a chapter in Blink4th Period was Music and I practiced my songs and even recorded my first assignment: Sweet Violets

Spoiler

5th Period was language and I got in a session each for all 4 languages on Duo

Nothing at all got done for Art, Science or Home Ec, partly because I saw the comment about playing Skyrim on @shaar's thread and decided that was what I was going to do with the rest of my day :D 

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 4
4 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Nothing at all got done for Art, Science or Home Ec, partly because I saw the comment about playing Skyrim on @shaar's thread and decided that was what I was going to do with the rest of my day :D 

tenor.gif

So is that kinda like skipping school since you missed classes or??? Am I the school TRUANT now?

• Like 2

3rd Period was Social Studies and I read part of a chapter in Blink4th Period was Music and I practiced my songs and even recorded my first assignment: Sweet Violets

^_^ Love it!

• Like 1
On 10/23/2020 at 6:43 PM, WhiteGhost said:

This challenge seems to helping enormously with productivity, but the unintended consequence is that I have a lot less time for following along and keeping up with everyone else's challenges.  Apologies if I have a hard time keeping up with all you great folks.

Don’t worry about it :) productivity is great!

• Like 1

Nice work on the song. I've heard lots of that type of song at the renaissance faires, but that was a new one for me. Glad you're enjoying Blink - I started rereading it this week and I'm still picking up on new things. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, shaar said:

tenor.gif

So is that kinda like skipping school since you missed classes or??? Am I the school TRUANT now?

No, you are the opposite.  You are under arrest for contributing to the delinquency of a minor :P 

20 hours ago, @mu said:

^_^ Love it!

Cheers!

17 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Don’t worry about it :) productivity is great!

A bit of a change of pace for me, but not an unwelcome one

15 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Nice work on the song. I've heard lots of that type of song at the renaissance faires, but that was a new one for me. Glad you're enjoying Blink - I started rereading it this week and I'm still picking up on new things. 

This is one that my dad used to sing a lot when I was a kid.  My parents loved road tripping, so they would often pack all of the kids in the car and drive for hours.  They loved it but it was kind of boring for us so we would often sing songs as a family to pass the time and this one always a popular one 

12 hours ago, Xena said:

The song was really cute!

It's a fun one :) 

1 hour ago, fitnessgurl said:

Agreed!

Thanks

--------------------------------------------

Different class schedule on Sundays

1st Period and 2nd Period were Release Time which was church.  It is always nice but they reorganized the leadership this week because many of the former leaders have left the country and will not be coming back.  They asked me to continue on in my previous roles.

Lunch was braised Short Ribs which Ghostess had made for us in the morning and put on the table before she left for work.

The afternoon was super busy shuttling Ghostlet to his various classes and taking care of stuff at home but I did get some other classes in 

3rd Period was Social Studies and I finished up Blink. It was really quite an interesting read and made me rethink a lot about how I perceive the world around me. 

4th Period was Language and I did a lesson each on all 4 languages again
5th Period was Music and I filmed the second song for this week's homework: Blowin in the Wind

Spoiler

I didn't get anything done for Art, Science or Home Ec. (Dinner was leftovers from lunch)

Report Card for the Week:

PE: A

Gymnastics: A

Science: A

Social Studies: A

Music: A

Art: C

Language: C-

Home Ec: B-

Drama: A

Release Time: F

Dating: A