WhiteGhost Goes Back To High School

Just caught up on your thread!

RE: Home Ec (and Shop) - Our local high school still does this for electives and Culinary is a super popular elective. My two oldest also took shop (woodworking) and made napkin holders and bird feeders. But we also have a magnet school which has no electives in either space (which is pretty ironic because it is connected to the local vo-tech). 

You always have so much going on in your challenge and I LOVE the instagram food pictures. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Love this! Love the song and your version is really nice. :)

Thanks.  I don't know how many versions there are, this is just the one I found that had chords I could play ;) 

21 hours ago, deftona said:

Aw you have a lovely voice. 

I appreciate you saying that, because I really don't think I do.  Not terrible by any stretch, but I don't really have a great singing voice.

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yay for ukulele!

Also hi, don't mind me sneaking in.

Uke is really fun for me right now.  And you are welcome to sneak in ANY time :) 

18 hours ago, Xena said:

I "know" that song, so I sang along

...turns out I only knew the first verse, but google helped me out 🙂

I wouldn't have know the last two verses if they were on the tab I found 

42 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Just caught up on your thread!

RE: Home Ec (and Shop) - Our local high school still does this for electives and Culinary is a super popular elective. My two oldest also took shop (woodworking) and made napkin holders and bird feeders. But we also have a magnet school which has no electives in either space (which is pretty ironic because it is connected to the local vo-tech). 

You always have so much going on in your challenge and I LOVE the instagram food pictures. 

My threads seem to move quickly so staying caught up can be tough.  

It really is strange that there is so much variance between the different programs out there.  Especially compared to what we have here where everything is almost completely standardized across the entire country.

Unfortunately, Instagram is being a pain recently and won't let me embed my pics.  I will probably have to find another platform soon.

------------------------------

1st Period today started out with PE at the park.  They were replacing the padding ont he ground there, so the equipment I usually use was blocked off.  That pretty much left just the monkey bars so we all spent most of our time doing things there.  

2nd Period was gymnastics but without access to the pullup bar or the parallel bars I had to improvise.  This turned into mostly laches and handstands, btu also some other fun stuff, like some spinny work to try and reduce getting dizzy. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG0An7bA5P1/?igshid=pmuexzyivuq5

I was surprised because after my first pass I was super dizzy, but by the third time (with a rest between) I didn't even get a little dizzy :) 

After my workout I had to run a few errands so I didn't get back for lunch until almost 2pm.

Lunch was a sausage and cheese wrap

3rd Period was Social Studies and I read the first chapter of Sapiens.  There is a lot of interesting stuff in there, but also a lot of stuff that seems strange.  For example the author will say there are a few possible scenarios but the picks whichever was (probably) the one they believe the most likely and then just base the rest of the discussion on the assumption that the selected scenario is the right one.  I think I noticed this 2 or 3 times in just the first chapter alone.

4th Period was Science and I read the first chapter of How to Teach your Dog Physics.  It was really just the introduction, so I will see how I feel about it as I read more.

5th Period was Music and I picked some uke songs to work on for this week.  Some of the ones I am looking at are 500 Miles (Away from Home), Country Roads, O Danny Boy and I've Been Working on the Railroad.  A couple of those are really quite tricky so this weeks selections may be a bit ambitious.

6th Period was Home Ec and I made some Goose Leg with vegetable gravy.  I had a baked potato on the side and baked up some potato chips for Ghostlet

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG0CKmkg3LX/?igshid=1a4j2ua9tevaq

7th Period was Language and I got in 1 session each of all four languages.

8th Period was release time and I got my reading in for that as well 

Overall a very busy day

• Like 10
29 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

but I don't really have a great singing voice.

I thought you sounded good, dude!

30 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Overall a very busy day

Sounds like it. However, you're doing great IMO. Keep up it up brother!

31 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

like some spinny work to try and reduce getting dizzy.

This reminded me of my brothers bachelor party. We had a "Mancathalon" and one of the events was Dizzy Bat Spin. Holy hell! We had to go for 10 spins and by spin #5 or 6 I was like, "this ain't gonna be good!" We filmed it and it was hilarious hahaha!

Top 30 Dizzy Bat GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Wolf

• Like 1
On 10/23/2020 at 12:43 PM, WhiteGhost said:

This challenge seems to helping enormously with productivity, but the unintended consequence is that I have a lot less time for following along and keeping up with everyone else's challenges.

It's the natural consequence. We will all come to see you here anyway. :)

This is a neat challenge, and you have quite the packed schedule! Best of luck with it!

I'm coming in from really far behind, so I have a lot of random questions/comments:

• I love that you get school credit for writing love letters and making out. 🥰
  • You might like some of the meatier videos on Crash Course (I believe they target roughly first year university level) and/or SmarterEveryDay (he does a lot of slow motion shots to show the physics off. His day job is as a rocket scientist and his passion shines through).
  • Everyone's getting back on Duo. I had better show up or y'all are going to pass me. :P
  • Why do you need to drug yourself with caffeine before exercising? Don't your muscles get the same workout regardless? I think I'm missing something.
  • "Sweet Violets" is a new one to me. I love it, and you sung it well. Don't think you don't have a "good enough" singing voice. In my experience anyway, it's all about confidence and heart (as long as you can carry a tune). I can think of some professional singers who don't have "good" voices.
  • Hooray for not being even a little dizzy! Progress!
  • Like 2
22 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

We had to go for 10 spins and by spin #5 or 6 I was like, "this ain't gonna be good!"

I used to be able to spin al day as a kid but those days are long gone.  I learned recently that this skill can be reacquired, so I have been working see if I can do more spinning regularly to try and reduce the dizziness.  So far it seems to be working.

15 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

You might like some of the meatier videos on Crash Course (I believe they target roughly first year university level) and/or SmarterEveryDay (he does a lot of slow motion shots to show the physics off. His day job is as a rocket scientist and his passion shines through).

Cool, I will definitely have to check this out.

Why do you need to drug yourself with caffeine before exercising? Don't your muscles get the same workout regardless? I think I'm missing something.

Studies have shown that caffeine boosts thermogenesis which increases the body's maximum available energy for output.  The muscles are getting the same workout, but the energy available to use those muscles gets a boost.  As an aside, caffeine is the only substance recognized by the FDA that safely induces something called non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) and it is therefore the primary ingredient in essentially every weight loss product in existence.

as long as you can carry a tune

That is the heart of the struggle right there ;) 

-------------------------------

I pretty much skipped school today.  Don't tell the truancy officer :D 

I dropped my in-laws off at the airport this morning because it is approaching winter and they are migratory.  They spend every winter down south so I dropped them off. 

I got back in time for lunch and which was some chicken and pistachios

After lunch I went into town to the cobbler to pick up some shoes that we sent in for repairs.

I then took a nap before getting back onto my schedule

3rd Period was Music and I narrowed down my short list to 2 songs that I am going to get ready to perform by the end of the week.  One of them I was able to memorize, but the second one is quite tricky and I was only able to memorize the first stanza.  That song changes the chords every stanza so even though I know all the words it is still going to take some work to get all of the chords down.

4th Period was Home Ec.  I made some beef Stroganoff with homemade noodles, but the beef quality was terrible and I took too long getting the noodles into the pan so the end result was beef leather and globs of noodle lumps.  The flavor profile was OK, though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG2BPJ2gKZE/?igshid=1hpqljfnr0ega

(I am seriously going to have to find al alternative to IG, because apparently it no longer works)

5th Period was Language and I got in all 4 languages

6th Period was Science and I rad another chapter of my QM book.

7th Period was Release Time and I got my reading done for that as well.

I didn't have enough time to get my social studies reading in and I skipped art because I have a hang up about that and seem to be actively avoiding it.

• Like 10
15 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

To be fair, American schools usually use "Art" to mean visual arts (e.g. painting, drawing, sculpture) specifically when naming classes.

Nope. Pretty pretty sure the music programs are considered a part of the College of Liberal Arts for most universities. I refuse to acknowledge the narrow minded misleading labels used by any other parts of the school system. 😛 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

Nope. Pretty pretty sure the music programs are considered a part of the College of Liberal Arts for most universities. I refuse to acknowledge the narrow minded misleading labels used by any other parts of the school system. 😛 

But WG is still only in high school. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I skipped art because I have a hang up about that and seem to be actively avoiding it.

Probably because you know we'll all want to see. We'll be good and let you keep it private if that will help.

I vote you do My Lovely Horse as your next song.

• Haha 1
  • That's Metal 1

This is a really cool theme I love it! Training yourself to reduce dizziness is something I hadn't even thought about before. And with how often you're switching hands your entire bodyweight is for brief periods getting used to supporting itself up there with just one arm which I can see being useful too. I like all the reading too and this is really bad but I can't remember the last book I read, so I may need to get on that soon too :D

• Like 1
6 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Probably because you know we'll all want to see. We'll be good and let you keep it private if that will help.

But do the dream version:

(And lose the sax solo)

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

You are aware that music is a form of art, right? 😛 

Yeah, Drama too.  Except as was discussed below High schools categorize things differently.  When I  was in school, they reason music and art were kept separate was because music was a revenue generating department (along with sports and drama) while visual art was not.   I don't know if all schools are organized like that, but ours sure was.

22 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

To be fair, American schools usually use "Art" to mean visual arts (e.g. painting, drawing, sculpture) specifically when naming classes.

We don't want those student getting confused, eh ;) 

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

But WG is still only in high school. :D 

The way things are going, I might even graduate ;) 

16 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Actually I think it is more the opposite.  I would really love to be able to show off my stuff but I don't think my stuff is showable yet, which is demotivating, and makes we not want to spend as much time on it.  I tend to prioritize the things I can bring out and show off.

16 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I had never heard this one before, but I think I may be able to pull it off :D 

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m not gonna be able to catch up, Imma just jump in here.

Not much to catch up on, just a bunch of regular old high school drama :P   Nice to have you here, though

13 hours ago, Vidd said:

This is a really cool theme I love it! Training yourself to reduce dizziness is something I hadn't even thought about before. And with how often you're switching hands your entire bodyweight is for brief periods getting used to supporting itself up there with just one arm which I can see being useful too. I like all the reading too and this is really bad but I can't remember the last book I read, so I may need to get on that soon too :D

I didn't know about the dizzy thing either until I saw some stuff by CirquePhysio in which she was discussing it (and also working on it herself).  As for the one arm stuff, that is definitely something I think most everyone who wants to increase grip strength would benefit from training more.

I hear you on the books.  I have read some fantasy novels over the last few years, but I couldn't tell you the last non-fiction book I read before doing this challenge.

9 hours ago, deftona said:

But do the dream version:

That one seems like it would need a partner for the harmonies.  Also, would it even work without the sax solo? 

----------------------------------------

Time to check today's notes:

1st Period was Gym and I was going to do a push workout but ended up doing a whatever-I-feel-like workout instead.  At one point I was doing something on a dare that was a combination of pullups and mini laches across the monkey bars.  I got a video of it, but I was pretty tired by that point so I couldn't quite make the last rep.  If instagram was working I could put it up there, but I don't feel like going through the effort of uploading to youtube

ETA: link is here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG5PfsnAcwb/?igshid=e803wtvezis8

2nd Period was Gymnastics and was mostly just some bar work in terms of kips, back uprises and mill circles.  Oh, and a bunch of handstands.

Lunch was just a protein shake

3rd Period was music and I worked on my two songs for the week.

4th Period was Science and read another chapter from Teach Your Dog Physics

5th Period was Social Studies so more reading of Sapiens

6th Period was Home Ec and I did a little extra today.  For dinner I made some Paella (I can call it that because @zenLara is out on maternity leave ;) ).  After that I made some mango, coconut, chocolate chip cookies.  They were pretty good, but honestly if I wasn't trying to use up extra mango I would have preferred just straight up chocolate chip.

I could put up a link with pictures, but is it even worth it if they don't embed?

ETA: Link is here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG5MHANAKpP/?igshid=1xbpxi1wfpwps

Language and Art didn't happen.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Yes.

+1

36 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

For dinner I made some Paella

Funny, I’ve had paella on the brain the last couple weeks too. But that’s because everyone on YouTube seems to be making it...

Here for the high school drama!

• Like 1