[AoV] The Journey’s End

The other day, as we discussed progress on our impending move, Mr said, “We aren’t out of the woods yet....” 

“No, no,” I said. “We aren’t in the woods yet. Getting into the woods is the whole point!”

3447B701-18B5-4109-8860-56AC5F57D9DF.jpeg.0ed941777aa27851c5a8ba9398d41947.jpeg

(The wood, on our last visit in July.)

When I started this particular journey with NF almost 3 years ago, I was 30 or so weeks pregnant, and I remember the last couple of challenges prior to to my son’s birth being “well, this might be the one where I have a baby” until it was the challenge where there was no longer a maybe—I was definitely going to have the baby that challenge.

This is how I feel about our impending move, which I feel like has been gestating almost as long as my son did. (Much longer, if you factor that we’ve been dreaming about this non-specifically since our first days together.) It’s now. If this seemingly final attempt falls through... well, I guess one way or another it’s—

The Journey’s End

This challenge hopefully includes:

• Getting into the woods, IE moving to our new home (Edited: During Week 4?)
    • This will include myriad tasks including continued decluttering, planning staging, setting up movers, and miscellaneous related activities.
  • Settling in (post-whenever the move happens)
    • Unpacking, setting up the house the way we want it, learning our way around the house and its various functionality. This includes the main house, outbuildings and a whole host of new to us gadgets and appliances. 
  • Exploring our new surroundings (in tandem and trailing off of the first two sections.)
    • Keep up with 4+ miles a day walked on average. I do want to increase this incrementally, eventually, but this is not that challenge.
    • Once we’ve moved, get acquainted with the new property (field and forest), leave an offering at the Entwife tree, travel beyond it. Start getting acquainted with the villages on either side of us, the forests beyond our property line. Go visit the river and make introductions.

If the first task falls through (again), I will revise the challenge.

If things go well, expect a lot of photo spam.

• Like 11

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Current Storyline: Tales of Owlshire | 0 | 1

Previous  Storyline: The Entwife’s Heart | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

First major task: Clean house for new photos.

We fired the old estate agent (and good riddance), and hired new ones. They told us they want to come on Friday to do photos.

Excuse me while I fly into a panic of cleaning again....

Or rather, become paralyzed by the daunting task of it all.

Ha ha.

I think first I will make a list. It might look more achievable with a list than just “make the entire house clean and sparkling and clutterless.” 

• Like 3

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

15 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

First major task: Clean house for new photos.

We fired the old estate agent (and good riddance), and hired new ones. They told us they want to come on Friday to do photos.

Or rather, become paralyzed by the daunting task of it all.

Ha ha.

I think first I will make a list. It might look more achievable with a list than just “make the entire house clean and sparkling and clutterless.” 

You GOT this. While you clean, sing a happy song, and your woodland creature friends will help you scrub everything down! 

..... wait, you're not IN the woods yet. Oh well, looks like you'll have to rely on Mr. Clean! In all seriousness, you got this. You'll have so much cleaned by Friday!

And good move firing the old agent. I hope the new ones are better. 

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

I don't know how your initial photos went, but ours were a lot of just moving furniture from room to room to declutter as they went. We honestly used plastic bins and laundry hampers to do most of the moving and our pictures turned out really well that way. We obviously vacuumed and swept / mopped, but the agent and the photographer did a lot to stage.

It is so exciting that the move is still happening! It's gotta be kind of scary with the uncertainty, but the new house seems like a fantastic place for you all and I'm glad you aren't going to miss out on the opportunity.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

I don't know how your initial photos went, but ours were a lot of just moving furniture from room to room to declutter as they went. We honestly used plastic bins and laundry hampers to do most of the moving and our pictures turned out really well that way. We obviously vacuumed and swept / mopped, but the agent and the photographer did a lot to stage.

It is so exciting that the move is still happening! It's gotta be kind of scary with the uncertainty, but the new house seems like a fantastic place for you all and I'm glad you aren't going to miss out on the opportunity.

It was kind of like that, except we didn’t have any help from the photographer due to local Covid restrictions. It still needs a fair bit of maintenance cleaning, particularly the kitchen 😕 Things have been getting away from us in the chaos of moving/not moving/household illness/plumbing emergencies.

• Like 3

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Crossing fingers and toes for you. Excited to hear about the move! (and glad I don't have to be the one to do the moving ;)

• Like 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Good morning.

I spent some time on decluttering/photo prepping yesterday, but I also spent a lot of time on the phone with our removals service. Talking to the other families on our housing chain, we have agreed that we’re aiming for the 4th of November as our completion (and moving) date. This is by no means guaranteed but basically all we’re waiting on now is our official funding approval which should happen this week and the resultant paperwork to go through which should happen next week and everyone else is already ready. (As we were, until our buyers dropped at the beginning of October.)

BA07AAB9-D7D2-4EF7-A464-7BA27A66E8AF.jpeg.2dc392437a6122a9509dc6304327086b.jpeg

Enting thinks we got this. (Okay, not really. He has no idea what is coming, and it’s probably going to be the biggest shock for him of us all. Luckily, he’s also the one that’s fastest at adapting!)

We’ve been practicing the Shepherd’s Back Carry of late (as growing child and increasing winter layers means the wrap doesn’t have enough length for the “double hammock” carry we used to do), and we’re getting better at it and I’m finding it more comfortable as we do. 

(Vid probably of no interest to anyone but myself, but hey, handy reference for me!)

And now, off to get back to that cleaning thing....

• Like 6

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Our loan has been approved. There is still a chance something or another falls through, but now it’s very small. More likely, but still small, is delays further into November before moving to our new home.

We still have to sell the old house, but that’s just part of this particular package.

Also, I did my overseas vote today. As it’s done online and things are hairy enough about mail-in votes I have to wonder if it’ll count for anything, but in any case, I’ve done my part.

• Like 7

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

13 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

(Vid probably of no interest to anyone but myself, but hey, handy reference for me!)

Ah I was just gonna lurk (watching you live the dream!) but now I gotta comment! I need to get back into back carry’s but I can’t remember any of it. And I absolutely adore Hedwig. Did you know she’s Dutch? 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Ah I was just gonna lurk (watching you live the dream!) but now I gotta comment! I need to get back into back carry’s but I can’t remember any of it. And I absolutely adore Hedwig. Did you know she’s Dutch? 

I love her videos and her Instagram and her FB..... Did you have a favorite carry before? Double hammock is still my favorite but I can’t bring myself to buy a longer wrap when he’s going to want less and less carrying as time goes on. 

Yes, I knew she was Dutch. Side tangent: Husband and I both have Dutch in our ancestry (if the “of Vries” wasn’t a hint). His is a couple of generations back, mine a couple of centuries back before immigrating to the US. I like to tease my husband that I gave up a very obscure old Dutch surname for his very, very common one XD

I was admiring both the Slovenian landscape and your beautifully wrapped little one on the Stronkey’s thread XD

/wrapping geek

We aren’t living the dream yet. It seems that the fates want us to have a good story about getting it, complete with the Darkest Hours. But it feels like we might now be finally getting to the Happy Ending XD 

8 hours ago, Xena said:

Congrats on the loan!

Thank you! We didn’t want to take out a loan (original plan was to sell our current house first and use the proceeds from that), but given how things went in the end (short story: after lots of weird delays and strange communications our buyers dropped suddenly just as we should have talking completion dates), I’m glad we had it as an option so we can still (hopefully) get the house we set our hearts on.

It’s raining this morning so I used it as an excuse to get Enting up on my back before we left the house because he loves being under the umbrella with me. My back started hurting about 10 minutes in, but feels better as soon as I take him off. I’m trying to get him to ride higher which I think will help, and I really need to get my core strength back.

Anyway, carrying 16+kgs of toddler—we should weigh him again—(plus bags) a mile felt like a good workout XD 

Also, Enting is no longer allergic to eggs, so we can have them in the house! I’ve been loving having scrambled eggs for breakfast again....

• Like 4

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

1 hour ago, Ann of Vries said:

I love her videos and her Instagram and her FB..... Did you have a favorite carry before? Double hammock is still my favorite but I can’t bring myself to buy a longer wrap when he’s going to want less and less carrying as time goes on. 

Yes, I knew she was Dutch. Side tangent: Husband and I both have Dutch in our ancestry (if the “of Vries” wasn’t a hint). His is a couple of generations back, mine a couple of centuries back before immigrating to the US. I like to tease my husband that I gave up a very obscure old Dutch surname for his very, very common one XD

I was admiring both the Slovenian landscape and your beautifully wrapped little one on the Stronkey’s thread XD

/wrapping geek

We aren’t living the dream yet. It seems that the fates want us to have a good story about getting it, complete with the Darkest Hours. But it feels like we might now be finally getting to the Happy Ending XD 

I can’t even seem to remember the names! I’ll have to look it up.. there was this really pretty carry with a twisted strap that worked really well with a wrap that has two different sides 🤔 just waiting (im)patiently for this little one to sit up. 

and yes- the name was a very big hint :D 

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys! 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

1 minute ago, KB Girl said:

I’ll have to look it up.. there was this really pretty carry with a twisted strap that worked really well with a wrap that has two different sides 🤔 j

I’m wishing now I got a wrap that worked well on both sides. The one I have is very pretty on the outside, but the “inside” is not so much XD Maybe if we have another baby, I can justify getting one.... XD (Although I am tempted by a shorter wrap if we stick to the Shepherd’s Carry, as the tails sometimes hang to my knees....)

• Like 1

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

3 minutes ago, Xena said:

Ugh, sorry the carrying is hard on your back, but I LOVE that Enting likes being under the umbrella. That's super cute!

9DE4B423-8215-4AA1-91E8-0000387F3E2B.thumb.jpeg.9179bc333e6fab42d64c2da546d5cd3a.jpeg

(This is from a few months ago.)

• Like 6

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Oh you guys, I love having a few child-free hours to myself, but I so, so loathe the school run.

Enting is an inquisitive, clever little boy who goes at his own pace in all things. He wants to stop and investigate and comment on everything. And I mean everything. He must note that every piece of litter on the ground is bad. (We live in inner London, there is a lot of rubbish.) He must count all of the birds. (There are millions of pigeons, blackbirds, ducks, swans, coots, and moorhens.) Counting is good. He must note each dog, every stick, each bicycle, the colours of every car we pass.... and I hate discouraging him. But also, it should take 10-15 minutes to get to nursery, and each day (unless he’s in a carrying mood—he won’t go in a buggy) it takes around 40. I eventually must be the grumpy parent: “Hurry up!” “Yes, I know the car is blue. Yes, litter is bad. KEEP WALKING.” “WE ARE LATE.”

I hate it.

Leaving earlier isn’t really an option—I already go without breakfast and half the time skip my shower, we’ve tried getting up earlier but it doesn’t seem to help.

We’re not planning to put Enting in a nursery school right away at the new place. This is partially finances (which will be tighter until our London house sells) and partially the pandemic, and also we just want to get to know the area first before placing him somewhere.

I will miss having childcare, but I will not miss the school run.

• Like 5

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

7 minutes ago, Xena said:

Sounds like now you'll be able to go for little walks together without needing to get to a specific destination/time every morning. I hadn't thought about this, but I can see how it would get tedious and stressful.

Thanks, I’m looking forward to some aimless wandering around the property and surroundings and letting him investigate everything at his leisure. It’s something I want him to be able to do, but sometimes we just gotta get somewhere. 

• Like 3

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Enting walked with Mr to the nursery in less than 15 minutes this morning. Different behaviour with different parents I guess.... (Mr hasn’t walked Enting to nursery since before Covid, so it was a novelty.)

The home photographer has come and gone, and hopefully the pics will be decent and if not they can come back in 2 weeks when we are (hopefully) moved out and do it again.

Speaking of nursery, Enting is now booked up full time from Monday until we (hopefully) move so I can spend the day focused on decluttering and preparations. (We are hiring packers, but there are things we can do to make that go better.)

We’re not expecting contracts until next week, but so far everything still looks good for our 4th of November completion....

• Like 6

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK