Stronkey Kong: Becoming wise and wizardly

I'm glad your boss tested negative and that your changes of being covid free just shot up.

I don't think studying something is a waste of time. You have a curious mind, and you like to know how things work. I've done the career change thing, and am a lot happier. Have you looked into what job options would be open to you in IP Law? What would a typical day in that job look like? I'm really interested in what you've learned already, being a creative who has to keep IP and copyrights in mind. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I don't think studying something is a waste of time. You have a curious mind, and you like to know how things work. I've done the career change thing, and am a lot happier. Have you looked into what job options would be open to you in IP Law? What would a typical day in that job look like? I'm really interested in what you've learned already, being a creative who has to keep IP and copyrights in mind. 

I haven't learned anything yet that you can't find on wikipedia.

Patent Attorney -- These fuckers are in high demand and getting there has a lot of hurdles including another Bar exam, but pay is awesome and the work looks interesting. But the main thing is you're practicing law and have to be focused on being all lawyery all the time... you know what I mean.

Generic IP Attorney -- Pretty much just another lawyer doing more lawyery things and making lawyery money, but focusing on non-Patent IP like copyrights and trademarks, trade secret laws etc.

Then right about here, there's a bunch of people with mixed backgrounds of law, business, science and engineering with job titles like consultant and analyst. They mostly do research and help the attorneys assemble cases. Depending on the specialty/field/training/experience they might be making as much as the attorneys.

Paralegals -- the lower level administrative grunt work in the law office. Mostly go-fers for the attorneys but not just for coffees and vials of blood.

1.  Go back and snag another Bachelor's in Philosophy -- to prep and grub for recommendation letters.
    1. Philosophy is good prep for law school -- lots of reading, critical thinking, and writing.
    2. Philosophy is a topic I'd enjoy studying for a bit
    3. By a bit, I mean 10 classes and I could probably do this in less then two years depending on how I want to balance this with work.
  2. Decide on a grad program
    1. An MJ degree? -- 1-2 years -- Learn about law, but not with the goal of being a blood-sucking, lawyery lawyer.
    2. JD? -- 3 years, pass the bar, suck the blood.
  3. Demolish grad program
  4. Get job
    1. If MJ --> Consulting, research, and analysis.
    2. If JD --> Study for and pass patent bar exam, dress in sharp suits, buy fancy car, join firm, ruin lives, smash dreams, suck blood, become partner of firm.
  5. MOAR BLOOD!

To get the ball rolling I applied to return to school for another bachelor's. No fees to apply... yay! That's the first step.

• Like 2

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

i can see these for you.  I do have some counsel to offer, and experience working in higher education helping students with career paths. I spoilered it for length and also you can choose to look at it or decline. The choice is yours and wont hurt me either way. 

Spoiler

First: you don’t need a degree in philosophy to become a lawyer, and I’m not sure that would help you. Don't you have a degree already? You could probably skip to grad school if you do. Based on the reading I’ve done, you have the experience and understanding needed for the IP specialty, with your technical know how and creativity in arts.

If you don't already have a bachelors in something already, I highly recommend something that will get you employment that is closer to your end goal. A degree only works if you work after getting it. Consider engineering, business... those are programs that will move You closer to your IP law goal and open doors to job experience that will also support your career goals and you know, living. Same applies for Masters Programs, go for the program that will get you the job you want. An MJ Program sounds perfect for getting you closer to your goals. 

getting those recommendation letters..  you can probably work around that and get letters from your employers and other people since its probably been a while since you were at school. Admissions dept for the law program you’re interested in will work with you.

Speaking of recommendations, I also recommend you explore university programs, online programs, and look into their graduate success rates. How many students go on to work afterwards? What connections do they have with internship opportunities and practicums? Look up the experience of professors in the programs, too. 

💚

• Like 2
On 11/21/2020 at 8:07 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

i can see these for you.  I do have some counsel to offer, and experience working in higher education helping students with career paths. I spoilered it for length and also you can choose to look at it or decline. The choice is yours and wont hurt me either way. 

Reveal hidden contents

First: you don’t need a degree in philosophy to become a lawyer, and I’m not sure that would help you. Don't you have a degree already? You could probably skip to grad school if you do. Based on the reading I’ve done, you have the experience and understanding needed for the IP specialty, with your technical know how and creativity in arts.

If you don't already have a bachelors in something already, I highly recommend something that will get you employment that is closer to your end goal. A degree only works if you work after getting it. Consider engineering, business... those are programs that will move You closer to your IP law goal and open doors to job experience that will also support your career goals and you know, living. Same applies for Masters Programs, go for the program that will get you the job you want. An MJ Program sounds perfect for getting you closer to your goals. 

getting those recommendation letters..  you can probably work around that and get letters from your employers and other people since its probably been a while since you were at school. Admissions dept for the law program you’re interested in will work with you.

Speaking of recommendations, I also recommend you explore university programs, online programs, and look into their graduate success rates. How many students go on to work afterwards? What connections do they have with internship opportunities and practicums? Look up the experience of professors in the programs, too. 

💚

These are good points.

I agree... the Philosophy degree is not necessary... My master's probably qualifies me already to at least get my foot in the door somewhere, but I still wanna go back to school for some reason. The JM degree probably isn't even necessary, though it might help me advance down the road. In any case, I applied. I just need to wait and see if/when they get back to me, and if I have a good reason to and a goal, I don't have to wait to go back.

I already applied for one IP legal assistant job already. I think what I'm gonna do is look for work as a paralegal or similar that's a good fit. Then I can see if I like legal work and go from there.

============

Spellbook: I've already eaten most of the red foods I'm allowed. The week is barely half over (remember, I started counting from 12:00 am Friday). But that's okay.

Magic words: Still very much neglected.

Wizardly Fitness: I got in a couple workout this weekend. Friday night I did some Dips, rows, and upper body stuff. Then yesterday I did a qigong workout just to loosen up and get the blood moving and whatnot.

Conjuring the Unreal: Neglecting this too I guess. I started a lesson last night, but just didn't have it in me to finish it. 😕

Wizard's Tower:  Not really anything to say here.

I think on the whole I'm just anxious (not with a capital 'A', just mildly overthinking) about the future... life/career etc. I feel the need to get out of machining tho. Again, I don't hate it, but I don't love it. And if I don't love it I won't excel or advance much. I need a job where I can feel good about what I do.... most things are going to be a toss up on that. I need more intellectual stimulation for sure. I've realized (and we knew this already kinda) that I eat from boredom. The number one thing that can keep my hand out of the cookie jar is an engaging book or some problem to solve etc. Otherwise I'm just watching Netflix and eating all the cheese, and wine and Cap'n Crunch. Yeah, that's why I want to go back to school... it gives my brain enough to do that I eat like a normal healthy person.

My work week consists of only two night this week. Tomorrow we get free turkeys! 🦃🦃🦃

And, I'm going to quit caffeine cold turkey (pun intended) at the beginning of this long weekend. Odds are, I'm going to sleep for like two days straight like the last time I tried this. I had very little coffee yesterday and today, and I can feel the effects of not drinking it. I'm totally dragging ass and want to nap. This I take as proof that I'm overly dependent on it, and for unhealthy amounts. I typically drink 60 oz of strong as I can make it coffee. So I need to quit, and hopefully, some of my minor mental and physical health issues will dissipate.

Addit: Read this today, and it pretty much describes my relationship with caffeine...

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-quit-caffeine/

• Like 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

I totally get not wanting to feel like you NEED something like caffeine when you really don't. I laughed at "cold turkey"

Knowing what I know about you, I agree that a change in course could be good for you. My grandpap was a machinist. But he got to basically made parts that other people invented and made molds for mass production. A lot of medical parts. It was pretty cool. He used to work in the shop around your age and he would lift heavy stuff because he got paid by the product numbers and he was faster than the lifting equipment... but his arms would ACHE.

That was a total derailment, I don't even remember my point, I got lost in old family stories. But the thing is, you have a lot of opportunity to try on different hats and why not? The careerscape has changed so much since my pap worked, it's no longer a case of "keep your head down and work hard and you'll get far and have the loyalty of the company." Layoffs happen and there's no real long-term security anymore, so why not pursue different avenues? With your skill set and education, you'll always have an opportunity, ideally. I think that was close to the point I was trying to make. :D 

Does Cap'n Crunch pair well with wine? I feel like they changed the formula for it. It used to taste different to me as a kid. You know another food that has changed dramatically? Fig Newtons. They used to be these big, soft, cakelike cookies, and now they are kinda small, dry things that aren't as good. THESE KIDS THESE DAYS, THEY DON'T KNOW A GOOD NEWTON :D:D 

• Like 3

Squeeeeee!

There's an 24 hr, old-school type gym just a few blocks from where I work. It's practically on the way home. $30/mo.

Squeeeeeee!

• Like 6

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

I needed to move and sweat so last night I did some KB swings with a 36 lbs KB. I did three sets of 10 left arm, 10 right, then 10 with both. Single arms were just to right above shoulder level, doubles were up overhead and as fast as I could. I did three sets of those with rest in between, which was enough for me to know that I'd have the bit of soreness I have right now, which is enough.

I barely sweated tho. My apartment hasn't been getting warm enough. It's been hanging around 65 (about 18 C)... not sure if I have a heat issue or if its just not yet on for the building. We've had a couple cold days, but it's still fall here. I don't control it, the neighbors downstairs do, and I don't know what they're experiencing. As far as I'm concerned, 65 all winter isn't bad. It's not cold to me when I'm awake, and it's just perfect for sleeping under a cozy pile of blankets.

I'm researching different types of law and related law and policy programs and combined degrees.There are a lot of interesting ones. But the biggest decision is deciding if I want to commit to the whole JD. It would be a big, stressful, time consuming, and expensive commitment... I need to make sure it's worth it for going back to school and graduating at 40+. I bought three LSAT prep tests, cuz there only about $7 each, and three is the perfect number for test prep. Take one before any studying to see what it's like and recognize initial weaknesses. Take one in the middle to see how you've improved and diagnose other weaknesses. And one toward the end to prioritize end game study goals. Performance on it would be a good litmus test for the next steps.

I had more to say, but I walked away for something and forgot what it was... later!

• Like 2

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

51 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I love this so much!

It was about the fact that I only had 1 cup of decaf followed by six diet mt dews... as opposed to six 12 oz. coffees yesterday. 

Today, I woke up and had two cups of decaf ... only because not drinking any coffee would be too weird... and I'm planning to not have any more caffeine tonight period. 

This is why I'm forgetful and unfocused atm.

• Like 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

8 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I might be misremembering, but did you ever get your suspected ADD dealt with? If I’m confusing you with someone else nevermind, sorry.

You are remembering correctly. 

I did a phone intake appointment, but couldn't get a follow up scheduled because all the officers are closed and people are not returning calls etc.

It had crossed my mind, and this is a big part of the reason I'm giving up caffeine.

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

On 11/21/2020 at 4:16 AM, Stronkey Kong said:

Patent Attorney

Interesting - I was just talking to someone I found out is a patent attorney the other day. She spends her days trying to invalidate drug patents so that manufacturers can produce generic versions. She mentioned that you need a science or technical background to work in that field, so it could be a good fit if you like the work.

5 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

But the biggest decision is deciding if I want to commit to the whole JD. It would be a big, stressful, time consuming, and expensive commitment... I need to make sure it's worth it for going back to school and graduating at 40+.

On 11/23/2020 at 1:27 AM, Stronkey Kong said:

I already applied for one IP legal assistant job already. I think what I'm gonna do is look for work as a paralegal or similar that's a good fit. Then I can see if I like legal work and go from there.

Sounds like a good plan to me - get a closer look at the daily work in the field before committing your time and $. I knew someone in university who went to law school and loved it, and only after spending six years and God only knows how much money, found out that she hated the admin and clients so much that she left the field. I am very strongly encouraging my son to do some shadowing/volunteering/etc. in any field that he's interested in so that he can see how you spend your days BEFORE signing up for university or college (if appropriate) for this exact reason - I have met so many people who loved the subject of their degree but hated working in that field.

• Like 3

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32  

23 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

I needed to move and sweat so last night I did some KB swings with a 36 lbs KB. I did three sets of 10 left arm, 10 right, then 10 with both. Single arms were just to right above shoulder level, doubles were up overhead and as fast as I could. I did three sets of those with rest in between, which was enough for me to know that I'd have the bit of soreness I have right now, which is enough.

Can't not comment on kettlebells being lifted :D yay! 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares for the new year

my instagram - my gym's instagram

WTF!?

Everything looks so different.

Is this what the forum looks like when I'm not chugging caffeinated beverages 24-7?

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

1 minute ago, Stronkey Kong said:

WTF!?

Everything looks so different.

Is this what the forum looks like when I'm not chugging caffeinated beverages 24-7?

Impossible. I am still on caffeine, and I am seeing the changes as well.

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26

Spezzy ran an update last night. She didn't expect much visual change. Most of the difference is cosmetic, and she's working on it.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Spezzy ran an update last night. She didn't expect much visual change. Most of the difference is cosmetic, and she's working on it.

Not a complaint.

I just thought the coincidence of giving up caffeine and a more than subtle cosmetic update occurring on the forums was funny.

I listed (mild) grievances in the appropriate thread.

More than 40 tons of beef recalled because of re-inspection problem | Food  Safety News

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Tonight's project:

c8760ca3c415c483bfef3cfea34ea5a7318c09e1

Did some workouts in between temperature checks and bastings.

Dips: 3x4

Rows: 3x5 @ 140#

I took my first practice lsat and scored a 149... so 😕

That's right below the cutoff for "good" scores. It was harder than I thought it would be and I'm rusty and deprived of caffeine. So I could improve. Above 160 work be competitive. 

On the other hand, I found a near perfect program,  an MS in law,  created specifically for students with a science background who want to work in anything from patent law to policy or legal consulting... which is a really good idea if I decide law school is too much and/or I don't really want to practice law. 

• Like 6

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

5 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

On the other hand, I found a near perfect program,  an MS in law,  created specifically for students with a science background who want to work in anything from patent law to policy or legal consulting... which is a really good idea if I decide law school is too much and/or I don't really want to practice law. 

From what I know of the Legal Profession this might be the better option. The market is FLOODED with Law School Grads, and it's hard to make a living as a new lawyer. For where you've mentioned your interest lies, it doesn't sound like a JD would serve you much better than the MS unless you really want to be litigating. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

From what I know of the Legal Profession this might be the better option. The market is FLOODED with Law School Grads, and it's hard to make a living as a new lawyer. For where you've mentioned your interest lies, it doesn't sound like a JD would serve you much better than the MS unless you really want to be litigating. 

This is what I'm reading as well, and why I'm debating it with myself and weighing alternative options.

It's not hopeless though. If you graduate from one of the best or at least better schools, you can still do well right out of the law program... odds are it's because the top schools have great alumni networks with lots of successful people as much or more than it's the reputation of the school itself. Or if you graduate at or near the top of a class.

The other alternative is to pick a specialty that's in demand. For instance, patent law which a lot of law students don't have the STEM background for. But as I've mentioned, patent law has a couple of other difficult hoops to jump through.

You can also get a JD, and use that to do something else. A JD could get me into policy, regulatory, and consulting fields and plenty of other things. But is it worth the debt to go that route?

If I was younger, like right out of undergrad, a JD would be worthwhile so long as I had an open mind about where I landed. But at 36, I need to get in and get out with a piece of paper that just lands me in a better position than now. So it'll probably be the MS in law if I can figure out how to pull that off.

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

8e19e9d7d224387789d698e9527411a74132c1ea

Today's breakfast!

In addition to cooking a turkey perfectly, I made homemade cranberry sauce (with half the sugar the recipe on the bag called for; still good, but I like things super tart).

• Like 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Welp... there goes another challenge...

I put a lot on my plate, but my focus and priorities shifted and I lost track of some of it. And I'm looking at some new career/life changing possibilities.

Spellbook: I maintained a BuJo for tracking food portions during parts of this challenge, but I tended to lose track toward the ends of my work workweek which went right along with not prepping lunches and getting fast food and junk. It's a working strategy and helps, but I need to get better and more consistent with it.

Magic Words: I practiced Slovene almost daily during the first couple weeks, but slacked off toward the end. I think my interest in learning it shifted when I started to question the possibility of even going there. As stated, I'd like to go and stay for at least a month to really make it worth it, and that wouldn't be possible

Wizardly Fitness: Had a lot here. The main goal was to make progress on my pullups, pushups, plank, and a 5k run to see if I can get close to attaining the basic standards that marines keep up.

Strength: I did a lot of dips and rows to help with pushups and pullups. I did a few planks, and leg raises and things, but not enough.

Cardio: I got on my stat bike a few times, and did some HITT training with KBs... but not enough

AMRAP: I meant to do daily AMRAP sets for PP&Ps to test and train, but I only did this like once.

HEMA: I did very little on this front. A few exercises in the beginning, and I acquired a staff to practice with along with some books and training manuals, but I haven't nailed down time and space... I can't swing a 7 foot pole around in my apartment and it's getting cold outside.

Conjure the Unreal: I have a course to work on, but I've barely touched it three weekends in a row now. I should get back on it. It would still be a fun hobby to have even if it doesn't pan out to real income.

Wizard's Tower: I was intending to save money for a down payment on a house, but now I'm thinking of a big career change instead. I'm still saving though, just not making as much progress lately because work has slowed down and we're limited to only four days we can work. I need to try to get organized so I can work more hours on those four days.

So there it is. I'll be keeping up on most of these, but maybe I'll bring in some better focus next challenge.

• Like 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge