A Change of Pace (and class)

Little_Fox42

Hello!

I've been doing a little soul searching (i.e. I can't make up my mind) and decided that, for now, adventurer isn't the class for me. I'm focused a little more on strength and not really going out and hiking/trail running/adventuring as much as I someday will. I also have a thing for picking the ranger/archer class in video games. Soooooo... here I am! 😁

This challenge is gonna be focused partly on time management. Starting out by posting on time instead of waiting until a week after the challenge has started. Yay! Go me! I did the thing! The other focus is gonna be strength and running. I'm mostly recovered from Achilles tendonitis and just got cleared to run a couple of weeks ago. I've been slacking and haven't started yet, but I'm gonna. I also have a new job starting (hopefully) soon. Just waiting on some paperwork to go through and then I start training. I'd like to be a little bit stronger by the time I start the training as this will be a fairly physically demanding job.

I'm the kind of person who, no matter what I do, always shows up 5 minutes late. Leave the house an hour before I have to be at work? Oh, I've got enough time to swing through the drive through and get a snack. Person in front of me orders enough food to feed an army and bam! I'm late. Most of the time it is my fault, though. So I'm gonna work on that this challenge. Problem is I have almost nothing going on while I'm not working. The plan is every night I'm gonna make myself a schedule of chores to do throughout the day and deadlines to have certain things finished. To help keep me accountable I'm enlisting the help of my boyfriend, who will have a list of what I'm supposed to have done when and I'll be checking in with him. (This includes making my "schedule" for the next day.) I'm gonna leave it up to him to decide if something legitimately kept me from meeting my goal or if I just didn't make it that time.

Strength I've been working on, but slacked a lot the last couple of weeks. Rewrote my workout plan to include the running and I'll be getting back into the swing of things tomorrow. Mondays and Thursdays I'll be running. Starting with 5:45 walking/0:15 running five times for a total of 30 minutes. My goal is to work my way up to being able to run for a whole minute without stopping. Tuesdays and Fridays will be strength training using a modified Stronglifts 5x5 plan. I'm currently at 45 lbs for everything. Aiming for being able to do 5 reps of 55-60 lbs by the end of the challenge. With the exception of overhead press and deadlifts; one rep of each at that weight is okay with me. Wednesdays and Saturdays are gonna be my "rest days." Weather permitting I'll walk to the park (play some Harry Potter: Wizards Unite and PokemonGo) and back. Sundays will be long walk days, hopefully with my boyfriend and, if my heel can handle it, our three dogs. I'm not including the walking "rest days" in this challenge, they're just extra so I'm doing something to keep me in the right frame of mind for getting in shape.

To sum everything up, my goals are:

• Do all tasks on time and meet all deadlines
  • Running intervals Mondays and Thursdays (weather and Achilles tendon permitting)
  • Strength training Tuesdays and Fridays (Achilles tendon permitting)
  • Like 2

Welcome to the Rangers! We're an awesome bunch. 

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Gets Serious

Previous Challenges: 123456789101112131415161718192021

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Fitbit Profile * Good Reads

18 hours ago, Little_Fox42 said:

This challenge is gonna be focused partly on time management.

You are in the right guild

• Like 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Did my running intervals yesterday. Felt good, not too much heel pain afterwards, just a little stiffness. A little tender this morning, but no more than usual. Maybe even a little less than usual. Gonna try changing the interval ratio by 5 seconds each time until I hit a point that feels like a bit more of a challenge. Hopefully going slow like that I'll be able to get to a minute of non-stop running in no time. 15 seconds didn't leave me winded and 5:45 was a bit more recovery time than I needed, even as out of shape as I am.

I have a physical therapy appointment this morning, so I'll do my strength training this afternoon after my heel has had some time to rest. Might go ahead up to 50 lbs on everything today; gonna depend on how I feel after physical therapy.

Haven't really set myself any timed goals yet. (Other than getting the kitchen cleaned up before my boyfriend got home so he could cook. Started on that 30 minutes before he got home, so I'm not counting it due to procrastination and rushing.) I'm gonna get to my appointment 10 minutes early this morning. Actually leaving right after posting this. I'm half tempted to give myself a deadline of 5pm for the strength training, but I'm hesitant to do so with the heel pain restrictions. Gotta find that balance between pushing myself and setting myself up for failure.

I'm off to a good start! Although technically the challenge doesn't start for another few days so this is the practice lap, lol.

• Like 2

Finished my post workout stretching at 5:07 yesterday. Would have made my tentative 5pm deadline, but my boyfriend came home in the middle of it and we talked for a few minutes. Went ahead up to 50 lbs, might go ahead and take the squats to 55 next workout. Not sure if I'm gonna be up to walking today because of feeling icky. I woke up this morning with a stomach ache, went back to sleep, woke up 2 hours later with a sore throat and an earache. Chicken noodle soup and saltines kind of day. Although it is a really nice day out. And sunshine is supposed to boost your immune system. Idunno. I'll see if I have the energy in a bit. For now I'm just gonna relax and focus on feeling better.

28 minutes ago, Little_Fox42 said:

Finished my post workout stretching at 5:07 yesterday. Would have made my tentative 5pm deadline, but my boyfriend came home in the middle of it and we talked for a few minutes. Went ahead up to 50 lbs, might go ahead and take the squats to 55 next workout. Not sure if I'm gonna be up to walking today because of feeling icky. I woke up this morning with a stomach ache, went back to sleep, woke up 2 hours later with a sore throat and an earache. Chicken noodle soup and saltines kind of day. Although it is a really nice day out. And sunshine is supposed to boost your immune system. Idunno. I'll see if I have the energy in a bit. For now I'm just gonna relax and focus on feeling better.

You definitely want to feel better before doing anything TOO strenuous, but maybe a short, low-impact walk? Depends on just how bad you're feeling. Definitely take the time to recover. All the chicken noodle soup!!!!

Heroine of Time

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

Despite waking up at 4:30 with a migraine, today wasn't a bad day. Might have found a migraine treatment that works. My doctor had recommended trying aspirin, benadryl, and 8oz of coke last time I saw her. Coke at 4:30 was out of the question and my migraine prescription was downstairs. So I grabbed a benadryl from the hall closet and an ibuprofen since I couldn't find aspirin. Woke up a few hours later and the migraine wasn't gone, but it was like a shadow of a migraine. It's still there now, but still a shadow and I can work through it. I made a note of the combo and I'll try it again next time I get a migraine. *fingers crossed*

This morning it was still bad enough I didn't go to my physical therapy appointment, but I did feel up to doing my running intervals this evening. Successfully got through the 20 second running interval with no trouble and currently no heel pain or stiffness. Actually ran a few seconds past the timer a couple times. Depending on how I feel I might bump it all the way up to 30 seconds on Monday.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Little_Fox42 said:

Currently at 5:40 walking/0:20 running repeated 5 times. I'm not sure if the LF is an abbreviation for something I'm not familiar with or a typo.

Hey! Oh sorry, its just your name abbreviated, i tend to do that for people on here haha Little Fox... just down to LF. 

Thanks for telling me the intervals, great x

On 10/23/2020 at 9:06 PM, Little_Fox42 said:

No strength workout today. Found out last minute my aunt and uncle were renewing their vows on zoom in celebration of their 50th wedding anniversary. That obviously took precedence. So today ended up being a rest day and I'll do the strength workout tomorrow.

Congratulations to your aunt and uncle on 50 years! 

Heroine of Time

I did better in the practice round. Yesterday was rainy and icky, so I didn't run. Tried to push myself to at least do my warmup and post workout stretching, but it never happened. Went to physical therapy this morning... got there 2 minutes late. And my heel is still sore from it, so no strength workout today. The earache from the other day turned out to be an ear infection, so I'm feeling very drained. I have nothing going on tomorrow, so I'm gonna allow myself one more blah day and then Thursday I'm gonna kick some butt.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Little_Fox42 said:

I did better in the practice round. Yesterday was rainy and icky, so I didn't run. Tried to push myself to at least do my warmup and post workout stretching, but it never happened. Went to physical therapy this morning... got there 2 minutes late. And my heel is still sore from it, so no strength workout today. The earache from the other day turned out to be an ear infection, so I'm feeling very drained. I have nothing going on tomorrow, so I'm gonna allow myself one more blah day and then Thursday I'm gonna kick some butt.

Oh ear infections suck! I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Hopefully you got some antibiotics that can clear it right up. 

It's rainy and icky here too. It's supposed to start getting better tomorrow. 

Heroine of Time

On 10/18/2020 at 10:33 PM, Little_Fox42 said:

To help keep me accountable I'm enlisting the help of my boyfriend, who will have a list of what I'm supposed to have done when and I'll be checking in with him. (This includes making my "schedule" for the next day.) I'm gonna leave it up to him to decide if something legitimately kept me from meeting my goal or if I just didn't make it that time.

Accountibilipartners are particularly useful assistance to solicit in keep up with one's goals.

I particularly like having him be your impartial judge for goal completion!

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

9 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Accountibilipartners are particularly useful assistance to solicit in keep up with one's goals.

I particularly like having him be your impartial judge for goal completion!

One thing accountabilibuddies do for me is to help me stay realistic. I tend to be too hard on myself when I mess up so having someone keep me in check helps me a lot. 

• Like 2

Heroine of Time

10 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey, hows the ear infection?

Ear is doing better; I still have some drainage stuff going on which is bugging my throat, but my ear isn't randomly aching like someone is stabbing it with an ice pick.

Made it to my physical therapy on time today. Not early like I wanted to be, but I'll take on time over late. Turns out it was my last visit. I'll keep doing the exercises at home that I can and go back if it flares up. Gonna miss the massages. Might have to arrange to start getting them regularly once I'm working again.

Still raining and icky out, so no running today. Gonna push myself to at least do my stretches, maybe walk up and down the stairs 10 times or something first. Might take a nap first, though.

2 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

One thing accountabilibuddies do for me is to help me stay realistic. I tend to be too hard on myself when I mess up so having someone keep me in check helps me a lot. 

I flip flop between being too hard on myself and being too easy. Definitely helps with the staying realistic.

• Like 3
On 10/29/2020 at 12:31 PM, Little_Fox42 said:

I flip flop between being too hard on myself and being too easy. Definitely helps with the staying realistic.

For me, staying realistic is always a struggle because I get into, "DO ALL THE THINGS" mode and then when I slip up, I'm really hard on myself which can make me depressed and have a downward spiral effect.  Perfect example is if I'm working out super hard and then injure myself:  I go from 100000 to -10000 within a couple days instead of being reasonable.

Hope you're feeling better.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:31 AM, Little_Fox42 said:

On 11/1/2020 at 9:48 AM, Teros said:

For me, staying realistic is always a struggle because I get into, "DO ALL THE THINGS" mode and then when I slip up, I'm really hard on myself which can make me depressed and have a downward spiral effect.  Perfect example is if I'm working out super hard and then injure myself:  I go from 100000 to -10000 within a couple days instead of being reasonable.

I feel like this is just the default state for all Rangers in particular. We seem to be defined by our propensity for trying to do everything, and then getting down on ourselves because we are merely human.

• Like 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

20 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

I feel like this is just the default state for all Rangers in particular. We seem to be defined by our propensity for trying to do everything, and then getting down on ourselves because we are merely human.

I've been trying to resist doing all the things and I still have a hard time with this. Ugh. 

• Like 1

Heroine of Time