Xena's fall re-set

Xena

I'm signed up to run a marathon on the last day of zero week (the way I count). So I'm envisioning that the challenge will focus on recovery, rebalancing and re-building strength. I may adjust the goals, depending on how I feel after the marathon, but here is my plan:

Follow "Quick Strength for Runners" program. It's an 8-week program, and I'm on week 3. It fits perfectly in this challenge cycle. It's a pretty minimal program (twice a week, pretty quick to do), but the exercises seem to be well-targeted.

Minimal stretch and foam roll after every run or ideally every day. I haven't decided whether/how to score this yet.

2300 calories 3x/week. My weight it a little higher than I would like. Ideally, it would have been good to do something about this well in advance of my race, but I got into the race on pretty short notice. So I'll deal with it now. Calorie counting does work, but it's tedious. Basically, I'll try to hit my targets early in the week and then just keep eating similar meals without really needing to track.

...supposed to be working now, so will catch up on threads later tonight!

• Like 13

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Counting calories for three days as a gauge for the rest of the week is clever, much nicer than counting every day.

Good luck with the marathon!

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Following. In a powered vehicle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

9 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Counting calories for three days as a gauge for the rest of the week is clever, much nicer than counting every day.

Thanks...that kind of approach usually works fairly well for me.

Good luck with the marathon!

Thanks!!

Oct/Nov 2016

Here to follow!!!

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

21 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Here to follow!!!

Hi Nova!

5 hours ago, Teros said:

Woot woot

What kind of stuff is in the Quick Strength?

It's mostly bodyweight and dumbbells. A lot of core work. The upper body work includes a lot of twisting motions that also work the back/core.

Tomorrow's workout: 2 sets of 7 exercises, each ranging from 10-20 reps: windshield wipers,  weighted swings (a twisting dumbbell thing), crossover crunches, discus thrower (kind of a twisting lunge dumbbell thing), torso twist, knee crunch, deadlift and front raise.

5 hours ago, Teros said:

It Bout To Get Spoopy In Here Funny Horror Clown - Pop Threads

Bellmyst welcomes you

image.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oct/Nov 2016

9 minutes ago, Xena said:

uhhhhh [furtively looks at book]

Yes. yes it is. 

Any thoughts on it?

Haven't read it yet, but it's the second time I've heard it mentioned this month so I'll be interested to see how you go. The one I've used in the past is Strength Running by Jason Fitzgerald...I think he actually did some posts on NF at one point too.

Anyways good luck!

• Like 1

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

Today was good. I got in 4.5 miles, and now I get to start packing for the marathon.

The exciting thing is that I found out yesterday that I know another person running the race. It's a woman I met during the Area 51 marathon last year. We ran the whole second half of the race together. I'm super excited to meet up with her again.

• Like 8

Oct/Nov 2016

Good luck on the marathon!  Is it a local one or are you going to have to travel for it?

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

20 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Good luck on the marathon!  Is it a local one or are you going to have to travel for it?

Thanks! It's the next state over (~2 hour drive). Luckily, I've been spacing out the nearby and far states, so this is a new addition to my 50 States quest. I picked this race mostly b/c their covid protocols seemed really strict and well thought-out. My perception was confirmed when I met up with my friend today. She's run a few marathons this year (she lives out West where more of them have been held) and said they were all much more relaxed. I'm not comfortable with the idea of relaxed group events these days. [though I get it that different people have different opinions, and actual level of risk varies a lot from place to place].

• Like 5

Oct/Nov 2016

Good luck on the marathon! 

Were you in the waiting list and that’s why you joined with short notice or did you find it unexpectedly and it fit your schedule?

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Have a great time today!

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

22 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Good luck on the marathon! 

Were you in the waiting list and that’s why you joined with short notice or did you find it unexpectedly and it fit your schedule?

Thanks! And basically yes. I was #78 on the waiting list and didn't think there would be any chance in hell I would get in, so I didn't really train for it (I did sneak in a couple 14-milers where I might have otherwise done 8-10). I didn't even tell my coach I was on the waiting list b/c I didn't want him to make me train for it!

It turns out that I think I misunderstood the nature of the waiting list. I thought it was a traditional waiting list where I needed 78 people to drop out. I think it was actually a "covid waiting list" in the sense that they organizers initially only let in a smaller number of people and then let in more shortly before the even. I think it was probably some kind of negotiation with the state or town based on covid rates or other considerations.

21 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Good luck tomorrow!

11 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Good luck on your run!

10 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

You got this!

Have a great time today!

Thanks everyone! I had a great day. My time wasn't fast, but it was similar to what I've done for my past half dozen or so marathons. The weather was perfect, it was fun to meet up with my friend, and it was completely joyous to be out running a race. My running friend has actually done several marathons this year (which initially made me nervous, but she just got a negative covid result) and said the protocols for this one were a lot stricter than the others she has done (all out west). I think the organizers did a truly excellent job of getting this race off.

There was a kind of cool feature. The race was linked with an app called "racejoy". If you carried your phone and turned on tracking, your friends could follow you via GPS and send you messages or music clips. There were also some recorded messages pointing out some of the historic/scenic points along the way. I felt a little cheesy using it, but it was fun.

Now I can roll into my challenge in recover-and-rebuild mode.

• Like 12

Oct/Nov 2016

Well done on a marathon you hadn't planned on.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath