Xena's fall re-set

Xena

4 hours ago, Xena said:

it was actually a "covid waiting list" in the sense that they organizers initially only let in a smaller number of people and then let in more shortly before the even.

Oh man. I didn't even think of that. That is what it probably was. Congrats on getting it done though. Glad to hear some organizers are still being careful.

I wasn't aware that racejoy had that feature. Interesting. The ride I want to do uses it too. I don't know how I feel about it now. Haha

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

Congrats on checking a state off the list this year!  It's great that you felt safe enough to enjoy yourself. 

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

On 10/25/2020 at 5:14 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Well done on a marathon you hadn't planned on.

Thanks!!

On 10/25/2020 at 5:25 PM, deftona said:

Nice work on marathon you just did like no big deal! You're pretty badass.

Thanks, and right back atcha 🙂

On 10/25/2020 at 5:50 PM, Maigs said:

^ what she said. You ran a marathon with very little notice, that is pretty badass

Thanks! I felt lucky to have the opportunity.

On 10/25/2020 at 9:14 PM, fitnessgurl said:

How do you do the R & R?

Dialing back the mileage for a while. Making sure to get in all my strength training. Being better about foam rolling. And paying more attention to diet. That's the challenge part of R&R...but I usually associate R&R with something more fun. It's already feeling a little boring.

On 10/25/2020 at 9:56 PM, ladymorella said:

I wasn't aware that racejoy had that feature. Interesting. The ride I want to do uses it too. I don't know how I feel about it now. Haha

All of those notifications are optional. You can try them or turn them off. And it's up to you whether to let specific people follow you. I was a little reluctant (in case I had a meltdown on the course), but it was fun.

On 10/25/2020 at 10:07 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

Congrats on checking a state off the list this year!  It's great that you felt safe enough to enjoy yourself. 

Thanks! I feel so happy to have this one.

23 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

"Unexpected Marathon" sounds like a great band name

YES!!

22 hours ago, Mistr said:

Congratulations on another marathon completed on your list!

Thanks!

I've done some short easy runs yesterday and today. Yesterday I also did one of the "quick strength" workouts. They have gotten a lot harder. I'm starting to think the book is pretty good but that people with some strength training base should skip the first 2 weeks of the program or maybe double up the sets. It's presented as a progression, but the jump is huge. The first couple weeks are really easy, and there's no way that after doing those few workouts you would "progress" enough to be ready for the longer, harder ones.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but I've been taking Spanish classes once a week via zoom. Much like the strength program, they have also been getting much harder. Today we reviewed the preterite tense for regular and irregular verbs. That's a lot of rusty old knowledge to dig out all at once. I more-or-less remember it but haven't spoken most of those words out loud in decades. I've mostly be practicing by reading novels or listening to podcasts.

• Like 11

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

20 hours ago, Xena said:

Dialing back the mileage for a while. Making sure to get in all my strength training. Being better about foam rolling. And paying more attention to diet. That's the challenge part of R&R...but I usually associate R&R with something more fun. It's already feeling a little boring.

Thanks!

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

It was gray and rainy today. It was very clearly an optional running day in my schedule, so I opted out. Did my strength routine instead. I probably should have added on some yoga or something, but....meh.

I did well on my calorie counting this week. Got under target M, T, W. Probably won't count the rest of the week unless I make a big batch of something and need to figure out portions.

• Like 6

Oct/Nov 2016

I tried to run today, but it was a miserable day. I underestimated just how miserable it was and underdressed. I made it about half a mile from my house and was still feeling pretty cold. I gave up and headed back. I never beat myself up too much when I actually head out for a run and quit...it rarely happens. I'll do more tomorrow.

• Like 6

Oct/Nov 2016

Good for you for getting out and attempting the run. I like the mindset of not beating yourself up if you decide it is too cold/wet. I will have to remind myself of that this winter when I go for a walk. SOmetimes the weather isn't as nasty as it looks (or sometimes it's worse😉)

• Like 2

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Week 1 re-cap

What were my goals again?? Ah yes...they are a little hard to remember b/c they a kind of rehab-y (aka borking).

1. Quick strength for runners.   Yes...did the two workouts I'm supposed to do (and think the plan is pretty good). Also one hip video and a yoga class.

2. Stretch/foam roll after every run.  Errr...probably? I don't really remember. This week has been a pretty light running week. But I am gonna do a big stretching session while watching football today. My lower back is starting to feel pretty fragile. Running doesn't specifically bother it. I've been doing some gardening (planting bulbs) and cleaning (washing floors, including moving around some furniture), which seem to bother it more [see @Sloth the Enduring, the key to happiness really is more running and less cleaning!].  It's "mysterious" to me in the sense that it seems to get better and worse with little clear pattern, but I'll do what I can to help it along. I never set up a plan to "grade" this goal, and I think that's probably ok.ou

3. Keep under calorie goal (2300) 3 days per week. Did this 4 days. Made goal Mon-Wed, didn't count Thurs-Fri. Decided I was eating a bit too much crap, so counted and kept under goal again on Sat. Probably will count today b/c I already know the calorie counts in most of the things I'm planning on eating.

Week 2 plans  Move back into a bit more running. Be really careful to get in the stretching and back exercises. Work in a few pull-ups. Stay on track with diet.

• Like 8

Oct/Nov 2016

Nice job this week getting that rehab in even if it's boring!

I can understand the frustration of your back pain coming and going.  It's annoying not being able to understand the workings and needs of our own bodies.  Especially when we need them to behave for us to do the things we like doing.

I hope this week is productive for you!!

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Sorry to hear about your back. I think we need to get someone on to looking into this lower back pain epidemic because I know too many people who are having this issue right now. 

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Sounds like a good recovery week, take care of that back!

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Wow, i haven't posted all week? WTF Xena??

Things have been fine, honestly. I missed running on Tuesday (laziness), but switched things around a bit and just skipped a short/easy run. I did my two strength workouts...one early in the week (Mon or Tues) and one today. I usually try to fit in a third workout and space things out better, but ....laziness.

My back has been a little weird.  It's not constant pain, but something that will hurt if I move suddenly in the "wrong" way. Often it's a twisting movement, sometimes straightening. I realized the other day, that my strength program might be the culprit...it's been increasing difficulty and there are a lot of core exercises that target the lower back. I decided that with today's workout, I would scale down the difficulty and increase the reps on anything that seemed like it could be problematic. I decided to scale down the "V sit-ups" and full sit-ups. I also decided that I need to do these exercises more often. So next week, I'll definitely get in 3 strength workouts during the week. One of them can be easier, I think it's just important to do these things more frequently so my body doesn't freak out.

Stretching...I did some, but wasn't great about it during the week. I did take some extra time today to make sure I did it properly.

Diet...good on this. Kept to my calorie goal Mon-Friday (only 3 days of tracking "required"). I'm having carryout dinner with friends tomorrow and Sunday, so I won't bother with tracking. In both cases, it's healthy stuff, so I'm not worried about it.

• Like 11

Oct/Nov 2016

Kestrel:  This exercise annoys my weak muscles.  I will stop doing them.

Xena: This exercise annoys my weak muscles.  I will do them more.

This is why you are the awesome runner that you are. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • That's Metal 1

― Neil Gaiman

7 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Kestrel:  This exercise annoys my weak muscles.  I will stop doing them.

Xena: This exercise annoys my weak muscles.  I will do them more.

This is why you are the awesome runner that you are. :)

Haha, the naturual tendancy is to stop what is triggering it. However a lot of times it is a matter of needing to strengthen something. The annoying ones are when the thing that hurts does so because the thing opposite or down the chain is weak or too tight. 

• Like 3

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

Week 2 (I think) recap

I got in a 10-miler today, which brought me a little over 30 miles for the week. Still in recovery mode (not doing hard workouts or very long runs), but back to pretty normal mileage. My back is mostly ok, but still definitely fragile. This morning I kind of twisted to the side as I was walking and got a little jolt of pain. Not cool back!

As far as the official goals:

Strength program: Yep, did my yoga class & 2 strength workouts for the week, modifying some of the harder core exercises. I think that is the right way to approach it. I'm going to do some low-intensity core work after I get offline.

Stretching/Rolling: Uh...I have not been awesome about this. I did a good job on Friday, and will try to be better next week.

Diet: Made calorie goal M-F. Not tracking over the weekend.

I'm excited to have a big trip "planned" in the future. Not planned in any kind of detail, but 2 friends and I have loosely agreed to climb Mount Kenya (not a true summit, but a lower peak that doesn't require technical skill) in 2 years. We haven't planned this in any detail, but I think it will actually happen unless some kind of serious circumstances intervene. It always helps me mentally to have something big to look forward to.

• Like 14

Oct/Nov 2016

On 10/28/2020 at 7:25 PM, Xena said:

I've mostly be practicing by reading novels or listening to podcasts.

My homework when learning spanish:

12 Corazones!

14 hours ago, ladymorella said:

However a lot of times it is a matter of needing to strengthen something.

How I'm feeling about Overhead presses right now.

2 hours ago, Xena said:

climb Mount Kenya

Woot woot sounds awesome :)

3 hours ago, Teros said:

My homework when learning spanish:

12 Corazones!

It looks like you'd learn all the necessary vocabulary from this show: how to pick up a guy/girl.  Isn't that why we really study languages? ;)

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

Well done on the week. That's awesome that you and your friends are planning a big trip!

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

9 hours ago, Xena said:

I'm excited to have a big trip "planned" in the future. Not planned in any kind of detail, but 2 friends and I have loosely agreed to climb Mount Kenya (not a true summit, but a lower peak that doesn't require technical skill) in 2 years. We haven't planned this in any detail, but I think it will actually happen unless some kind of serious circumstances intervene. It always helps me mentally to have something big to look forward to.

That sounds like an amazing trip! Are your friends avid hikers? This kind of adventure would be great to manage without a guide if it isn't technical. 

― Neil Gaiman

21 hours ago, Xena said:

That is awesome! 

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

18 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

That sounds like an amazing trip! Are your friends avid hikers? This kind of adventure would be great to manage without a guide if it isn't technical. 

I would say that they are avid athletes who are experienced hikers. We will have a local guide (but I think just for our group) and a driver (because apparently driving is CRAZY). Having a guide will make it much safer and also help hugely with the logistics (supplies, permits, etc). 

Today was mostly good. I did my strength training and felt like the muscles in my upper back were getting tired/strained. I went for an easy run. It was a GLORIOUS fall day, and I felt great to be out running. I made the good decision of laying out my stretching area before I went running. I almost forgot about it after the run, but then looked over and saw the foam roller just waiting for me. So I used it. The only annoying thing, is that it turns out I strained/irritated/pissed off my upper back. It's had a bad knot all day. It's not a huge deal, in the sense that I know it will be better in a day or two (not like the weird lower back shooting-pain-in-the-spine-thing), but it's sucky because it's the kind of pain that makes it hard to take a deep breath. Been doing lots of gentle stretching, but it really just needs time, and maybe the heating pad.

• Like 9

Oct/Nov 2016