Cheetah Jogs the Path

18 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Are you going to be sharing anything over here?

Not likely.  I have in the past; if you dig through enough of my challenges there are a few ukulele videos.  The problem is that I can not sing, and I only know how to play chords, which does sound like much without a singer.

Saturday has gone well.  I had no breakfast.  Mindful meatloaf sammich for lunch.  Point.  Mindful pizza dinner, which is an accomplishment.  Point.  I almost didn't get any exercise, but then I realized I had some time so I did a 30min treadmill interval run.  Point.  I also did some duolingo tonight.  Point.

I'm coming down with a cold.  I'm pretty sure it's not covid; I often catch a cold this time of year.  This feels like a regular cold, but it might be turning into a cough, which is usually what happens.  

• Like 3
On 10/23/2020 at 9:53 PM, Cheetah said:

Originally I had planned to go backpacking with a friend, but it's pouring rain here so we're having a roast dinner and board games at his house instead.

That sounds awesome!!!

Does the IE does anything special with people that eat really fast?

On 10/25/2020 at 10:55 AM, Cheetah said:

Not likely.  I have in the past; if you dig through enough of my challenges there are a few ukulele videos.  The problem is that I can not sing, and I only know how to play chords, which does sound like much without a singer.

Oh yeah, I remember when you were sharing videos and that was in fact what inspired me to get over my self confidence issues and share some of mine.  

4 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Ooooh that's a good question, because I am super guilty of this too.   

I gave IE a shake for a bit, and once I break my addiction to bad portions, I am usually fine without tracking.  Or with it.  I've reached a point where it doesn't make me rage hehe!

I've been itching to get back to some music stuff, but just no spare plates on the hobby-lazy-susan right now.

16 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Ooooh that's a good question, because I am super guilty of this too.   

I gave IE a shake for a bit, and once I break my addiction to bad portions, I am usually fine without tracking.  Or with it.  I've reached a point where it doesn't make me rage hehe!

I've been itching to get back to some music stuff, but just no spare plates on the hobby-lazy-susan right now.

My thought behind it is that if i truly IE, i'm gonna binge-eat so hard. I never get a "your full sign" during eating. Always after i'm done with eating. Sometimes it's  just a you have had enough sign, sometimes it's a that was too much sign.

I'm a very fast eater. When i give my wife a head start on for example a warmed up frozen pizza, she will have started hers when i put mine in the oven (10 minutes head start) and i will still finish mine before she is done with hers (and i usually end up eating a part of hers). Also people look odd at me when we have burgers, and they are still handing out burgers and i'm pretty much done like, "Where did yours go"...

Get In My Belly GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

My thought behind it is that if i truly IE, i'm gonna binge-eat so hard. I never get a "your full sign" during eating. Always after i'm done with eating. Sometimes it's  just a you have had enough sign, sometimes it's a that was too much sign.

My fear also-  I eat through fullness regularly.  I even say 'I have a dessert stomach' because I could be full to the brim, but fit dessert in.    Whole bag of candy? Sure~!   I feel sick!  Guess how I medicate?  MORE CANDY!     Like there is a logic switch I did not come with.   Who would reach for a 56th piece of candy, when they literally just left the bathroom sick from candy?    <.<    Um.  Yeah heh.  Tracking works best for me.  But!  I also can just go get a meal out and be like 'Ain't tracking, will just be reasonable'. :P

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

My fear also-  I eat through fullness regularly.  I even say 'I have a dessert stomach' because I could be full to the brim, but fit dessert in.    Whole bag of candy? Sure~!   I feel sick!  Guess how I medicate?  MORE CANDY!     Like there is a logic switch I did not come with.   Who would reach for a 56th piece of candy, when they literally just left the bathroom sick from candy?    <.<    Um.  Yeah heh.  Tracking works best for me.  But!  I also can just go get a meal out and be like 'Ain't tracking, will just be reasonable'. :P

I have that with all the yummy dinners, just name the dinners that are high in KCAL, that's the stuff i feast at! Pasta, meat on bread, fastfood, BBQ, rice, well you get the point... Bulking would be a real party!

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I feel like some of us just aren't built for intuitive eating... doesn't mean you shouldn't try it, but also, you shouldn't be disappointed if it doesn't work for you.

7 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

That sounds awesome!!!

3 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

I'm a very fast eater.

3 hours ago, Starpuck said:

48 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

I feel like some of us just aren't built for intuitive eating... doesn't mean you shouldn't try it, but also, you shouldn't be disappointed if it doesn't work for you.

Guys, you're describing me perfectly. 

Spoiler

I  grew up in a house where you had to eat really fast if you wanted to get enough food.  So I learned how to do that.  Then I joined the Air Force, and at the chow hall you could have as much food as you wanted, so I did.  Of course, then I was 18 years old and running 10 miles a day, so I gained a little weight but not much.  As I've got older, eating fast and a lot lead me to gain more weight, and all things considered I'm fortunate that I haven't gotten any fatter than I am.  Before I started IE, I didn't have any idea of what it meant to be hungry or full.  There was only the food in front of me, which I would consume until gone, and then get more if I could, and eat until I was totally stuffed.  And definitely bring on the dessert after that.  So, believe me when I say that I know exactly what you mean and where you are coming from.

In order to get from there to where I am now, I had to really embrace the IE principals.  I simplified them for my own use, because there are 10 and I can't remember them all, but I can handle 4, and I think it boils down to this.  Once I fully committed to these 4 principles, things started to change. 

Honor Hunger - if I'm hungry, I eat.  I don't care if it's a meal time or not.  I don't care if the food available is healthy or not.  When I get hungry, I take care of it.  How I take care of it is in the next two principles.

Honor Taste - nothing is off limits.  If I decide to have ice cream for dinner, it's ice cream for dinner.  if I decide to eat a gallon of ice cream for dinner, then it's game on and I do it.  If I want salad, I eat salad.  If I want onion rings, I eat onion rings.  However, I also have to pay attention to the next principle.

Honor Nutrition - I have to pause and ask myself if what I'm about to eat is the healthiest thing that will make me happy.  Sure, I could eat a gallon of ice cream, but how does a chicken salad sammich sound instead?  I take a minute to weigh my options and try to pick the most nutritionally sound option that will also satisfy my taste for yummy things.

Honor Fullness - If I'm not hungry, I don't eat.  I don't care if it's a meal time or not.  This was the hardest thing to learn to do.  It's been a process. 

What I realized is that Hunger and Fullness are a yin-yang.  Neither exists without the other.   In order to know how it feels to be full, you have to know how it feels to be hungry.  One day I decided to try this, so I skipped breakfast and went to work.  At lunch time I didn't feel much different so I didn't eat then either.  By the time dinner came around I was actually legit hungry, and I realized that I hadn't been actually hungry in years.  It was a completely foreign sensation.  I had to try it a few more times in order to get a good idea of what it's like, and after that it took me a while to figure out the difference between Hungry and Thirsty.  If I think I'm hungry, I'll often drink a big glass of water and wait 5 min.  It's amazing how often I will get these two mixed up.

The next thing I had to figure out was how to stop eating when full, without going over.  It's not an exact science and I'm still learning every day.  I did a couple of strange things on the way, like the week where I ate nothing but trail mix on a dare.  That changed my ideas about how much food I need to eat.  I went through a week where I tried to see how little I could eat at each meal.  What I learned is that I need dramatically less food than I thought I need.  There have been times along the way when I've gone back to the old way of eating fast and as much as possible, but now it felt different.  Being over-full stopped feeling good, and started feeling uncomfortable.  I don't want to feel uncomfortable, so I don't eat as much. 

I drink a lot of water while I'm eating, which slows me down and helps me feel when I'm getting full without going too far.  This is going to sound gross, but I realized that when I'm speed-eating, my food is sitting in my gullet without getting all the way down to my stomach.  Now when I eat, I take a drink every few bites to wash everything down, and my stomach can feel when I've had enough.  Maybe this is something that a lot of people learn to do when they are little kids, but I learned it this summer.  When I do this well, I can eat enough to feel satisfied, and by the time the next meal time rolls around I've become actually hungry again.  I'm not perfect at it, and sometimes I have too much at one meal and end up skipping the next one.  And for some reason, I'm almost never hungry in the mornings, unless I have a very light dinner the night before.

Overall, this is starting to work well for me and my weight is trending down.  I'm very interested to see how far down it will go as I continue in this practice.

I hid that because it got too long.  The short short version is, I deal with eating too fast by taking the time to drink water between bites.   The rest of IE is a process that takes time and commitment, and if tracking works for you, track away.  This is what's working for me, but as always, YMMV.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I did duolingo yesterday and didn't claim my point, so I'm getting it now.

Monday has been good so far.  No breakfast, mindful cheese sammich for lunch, protein bar because I was hungry in the mid-afternoon.  One point.  I didn't get home for lunch-time workout, but today has been insane at work so there wasn't really a chance.  I'll try to get something done tonight.

• Like 1

Tuesday has been alright.  Duolingo in the morning for a point.   Late breakfast of eggs and apple.  Ham sammich and chips for lunch, very mindful.  Pork chop and broccoli for dinner, also mindful.  3 points for food today.  At lunch time I made sure to go home and take a walk on the mill.  It was only a mile because I was a little tired, but still a point.  Then after dinner I was feeling better so I did a 2-mile interval run in the mill.  It felt awesome. Point for that.

I have a real problem on my hands.  Those of you who have been paying attention will know that in the past, every time I try to get back into running I end up with an injury that takes me back out.  The trouble is that I want to run like I did in high school, and I can't.  It's so so hard to be patient with myself and take it slow enough.  I'm hopeful that this time, running on the treadmill will help me stay at a pace that I can maintain without injury.  I'm starting pretty light, just 5 min runs with one minute walks between, 4 times at 4mph.  With a warm-up and cool down it's not quite 2 miles in about 30 min.  I'm going to do this a few days a week, I'm thinking for about a month.  Then I'll reassess and decide if I can start adding time.

Wish me luck.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

May I suggest

You may.  I will read into this.

15 hours ago, deftona said:

Good luck!

Thank you!  I shall endeavour to do my best.

Wednesday has been a bit of a shit show at work.  It's going to be better once I get past this week.  I have to let someone go.  I've never fired anyone in my life and it's going to be hard but it needs to be done.  That will be Friday.  So I have that to look forward to.

Food has been mindful today, so far.  I had a protein bar for a late breakfast, and a pork chop for lunch.  I have some chips and an apple that I'll eat in a while, and I don't know what after that, but it will be mindful.  2 points so far. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Wednesday has been a bit of a shit show at work.  It's going to be better once I get past this week.  I have to let someone go.  I've never fired anyone in my life and it's going to be hard but it needs to be done.  That will be Friday.  So I have that to look forward to.

I would like to say something supportive but am struggling to come up with anything. The fact that you're finding it hard too means that you'll be compassionate in the firing and do the necessary evil as kindly as possible. I am sure of that.

• Like 1

I did accomplish Duolingo yesterday, and again today so that's two points.  So far today I've had two mindful meals so that's another two points.

I bought a book about injury-free running and I'm looking at some prehab exercises, thank you Tank for the tip.  I'm debating where to start off with a measured program for treadmill running.  I'm thinking about dropping way back from what I've done the last few runs, and building my way back up, just to be on the safe side.  But on the other hand, my last few runs felt really good and I seem to have no ill effects, so I'm tempted to start where I am.  Considering my history, the best idea would be to drop back and start really really slowly.  So I think that's what I'll do.

Point for being wise.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, GoodDoug said:

Hooray for wisdom!

I need to remember that since there is no finish line, there is no need to get a head start on anything.

Yes, that also is wisdom.  I need to enjoy where I am now.  If I have to start with running just a little, that's better than none and I can enjoy it without feeling like I have to rush toward doing more.

Today is okay so far.  I've had a mindful breakfast of bagel, and a mindful lunch of sammich and chips, so that's two points.

The firing hasn't happened yet and I'm just waiting.  I hate waiting.

• Like 2

Dinner wasn't really mindful.  I've had worse, but I was definitely stress eating french fries.  No point.  I did get a run today, 3x5min intervals.  Point.

The sacking of my instructor was hard.  I feel partly responsible for her failure.  I feel bad about having to let her go, but it was the right thing to do.  Now I have to let it go and move on.

I don't like my job sometimes.

• Like 3

Saturday.

All three meals today we're mindful, for three points.  I spent some time cleaning out my garage and getting the chicken coop ready for winter, so that's good.  I also got a walk in, so point for exercise.  

I spent the evening with friends at a Halloween gathering.  We had fires and food and hayrides and generally a good time, and I didn't overeat anything so I feel good about that.

I did duolingo today but just barely.  Point anyway.

• Like 4

So, my back is hurting.  The muscles are tight and achy.  It's going to take a few days for it to ease up and feel better.  This is nothing new, it's not a worrying injury, it's just angry and needs to calm down.  When I walked yesterday it helped, so I'm going to walk again today.  I don't know if I will run tomorrow or not, I'll have to see how it feels.

So far today I've had one mindful meal, si I'm going to take the point for that.  I also got my duolingo in, so point for that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Cheetah changed the title to Cheetah Jogs the Path