GoodDoug rerolls

GoodDoug

Howdy friends, I'm trying something new this challenge. 

I was jealous seeing everyone's D&D or Pathfinder based challenges and I thought, "I want to do that, too!" So this challenge will be a reroll of my Half Ogre Ranger. Mechanically, I am intending for the half ogre to be mostly a reskin of the Goliath race in D&D 5E (Explorers Guide to Wildemount) with the ability to use two handed weapons in one hand instead of the brutal critical.

Before you is a large creature with humanoid features but very warty grey skin, reminiscent of an Ogre, but a bit less monstrous. He is wearing cobbled together leather armor and has a long sword in one scabbard and a big two handed sword in the other. His ill fitting leather helmet doesn't quite cover up the tangle of wiry hair, and the chin strap makes his double chin that much more prominent. He has a small (for him) backpack and an unstrung bow with a quiver strapped to it. He looks ready for adventure.

iu.thumb.png.27255273716c40da23c3218f356c87f3.png

The main idea here is that I'm starting out as a level one Ranger. Each week I have to get a certain amount of XP to level up. Leveling up gives access to more skills and spells which mean I have to do a little more each level up to advance to the next level. I will be keeping it really simple at first, adding as I go. So getting from level 1 to level 2 should be simple, but the final leveling should be scaled to be more difficult. I will add my points up each week to decide if I level up.

Basing the challenge on my starting Skills:
Level One
Ranger favored enemy: (Beasts)

• I need to eat more protein and fewer carbs. That just means I will make sure to have my protein shake every morning (10 XP)
  • I need to be ready for my next favored enemy in a few levels, so Duolingo every day (5 XP for each day)

Ranger natural explorer: (Coastal)

• Keep my space in order, so work on house projects (5XP) or garden projects (10XP)

Survival Skill:

• Eat fewer carbohydrates (-5 XP for every over carbed item I eat past the first three each day) as I go up in levels, will need to eat fewer

Athletics Skill:

• Exercise every day (10 XP for every day I do at least one 30 minute workout, not including gardening or walking)

Perception Skill:

• Journaling (5 XP for every day I do journaling)
  • Meditation (5 XP for every day > 5 minutes)

Level two, I get my fighting style and a couple of first level spells

Level Two (220 XP minimum)
Fighting style: (Two weapon fighting)

• Walk >2 miles (10 XP)

Spell Hunters Mark:

• Draw for 5 minutes (5 XP per day)

Spell Jump:

• Jump or parkour specific training (5 XP per day)

Level Three I get Primeval Awareness and I get to choose my Ranger Archetype, I'm going for Monster Slayer

Level Three (475 XP minimum)
Primeval awareness:

• Meditation (5 XP more for > 10 minutes per day)

Protection from evil and good:

• Eat fewer carbohydrates (-5 XP for every over carbed item I eat past the first two each day)

Hunter's Sense:

• Drawing even more (5 more XP for > 10 minutes in a day)
  • Journaling even more (5 more XP for > 10 minutes a day)

Slayers Prey:

• Keeping up with forums:
  • Making actually supportive and encouraging comments in at least 5 other threads on the forums (10 XP)

I will worry about further levels as I come up to them.

I like that it scales as the challenge goes on, and I like that I am leaving future weeks a little more fluid so I can regroup if needed. If I miss a level, that won't be a bad thing. I need to allow for the unforeseen... I also reserve the right to mess with the XP system if I am completely bonkers in my guesstimated math.

I'm excited you guys!

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

This is a really well developed challenge.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I like the looks of this!  I'm here for it

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

I am absolutely thrilled that these D&D challenges are popping up all over the place now :D

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]    Havoc, the Cyberpunk Outrider. 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Quick week zero update (just to suss out my points scale and if I think it will work):

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I had my protein shake in the morning (40XP)

Duolingo those days (20XP)

Meditation those days (20XP)

Exercise Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (30XP)

Sunday I wrote a journal entry (5XP)

That makes 95XP so far. To meet my leveling goal, I would need to add in more journaling and actually get some other projects done... I think 220 is a little too much, but I will wait to adjust it until we are a little further through this week.

I won't level up this week (week 0 is the back story... growing up as a half ogre in a community of misfits, finally leaving on my own... wanting to find my destiny)

Overall, doing ok. Work is weird this week in that I am doing a Hackathon yesterday and today and so spending even more time in front of the computer burning plenty of calories using my brain for things it isn't used to. Also, the thrill of completing a prototype in two days. I'm working on it with another person (who is on the East Coast, so time difference...) and we present a demo to everyone tomorrow. After that I'll need a couple of days to nap ;) so it isn't a normal week at all. But I think I have a handle on how it will all work out next week when it really starts.

• Like 3

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

GoodDoug absentmindedly pulls his leather pants up to cover his butt crack as he gazes around the room. He has on what he hopes is a welcoming smile, but it really just looks like he has bad gas pains.

"It's time to find an adventure!" he thinks to himself. Not knowing the trouble he is about to get himself into.

Week 0 recap:

I think it was a good idea to test drive the new system this week. It was a stressful week and give me a good idea of what I can expect points wise. I will knock it down to 200 XP to get to second level as that is still a stretch, but doable. I might adjust it again, as this is meant to be motivating, not stressful ;) 

Overall, I got my protein in and my exercise in. I did my meditation and Duolingo, but I didn't do any journaling at all. I didn't have time (or energy) to do any other projects, but that is something that needs to start getting done. But it also means work needs to ease off a bit (which it should do this week.)

I made myself a tracker in my bullet journal. I think that should help a bit, as it is a reminder of what I am meaning to do. And it will help me keep up with my points. So far, I've done my protein shake and exercised. I know I'll get to meditation and dueling... here's hoping I can fit in a little journaling as well.

Ready to start week 1 with a goofy smile on my face!

• Like 3

Healers Brigade

Current

Nice challenge! I'm very much a newbie at D&D (played with one group that was specifically set up for new players, then 3 of us had babies within a 5 month time period and the game just never picked back up) but I love seeing all the ideas anyway hahaha :) 

• Like 1

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece's Summer Alliance (Part 1)

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

Great challenge!  You can do it!

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

"Aahh! Look at that big sword! You look like an adventurer! I have a job for you if you are up for it. Turns out a group of stirges have created a nest in the stables here. Two horses have had to be put down from blood loss and we can't use the stable until they have been dealt with.My stable boy refuses to go in after seeing what happened to the horses, but you seem big enough that they may not bother you."

GoodDoug looked up from his drink and tried to not show his excitement. The man that had approached was the owner of the tavern. The half-ogre realized that the man had just walked into  the tavern and found the biggest, scariest looking person in here to deal with what was probably a mini crisis in the making.

GoodDoug took a last, long sip and said, "Five gold and meal and lodging for tonight and you've got a deal." Five gold was a little more than he normally would have asked for, but he was both unsure of how much to ask for and figured the man was at least a little desperate.

"OK, get rid of those stirges and don't break anything and you've got a deal."

GoodDoug got up and headed to the stables.

Yesterday was a good day. I did my journaling which was a tough one to do. I like this format... but we will see how it ramps up as we go along.

Here is a look at my challenge tracker:ChallengeTrackerStart.thumb.jpeg.8637b8e72cb4cdb191a8c6102dc21dd8.jpeg

Funny how I felt that I needed to use three different pens to get my point across 😜 

• Like 5

Healers Brigade

Current

2 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

three different pens

You can never have too many pens!

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

A stirge for context:

Stirge.jpg.7dffc3271ddf2d56f07a75ed06d5233d.jpg

Imagine monstrous mosquito that drains enough blood to make you really woozy

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 1

Healers Brigade

Current

On 10/27/2020 at 7:46 PM, GoodDoug said:

A stirge for context:

Stirge.jpg.7dffc3271ddf2d56f07a75ed06d5233d.jpg

Imagine monstrous mosquito that drains enough blood to make you really woozy

giphy.gif

• Like 1
Spezzy, the Arcane Skirmisher
Chaotic Good Quarter Elf Slayer/Magus
STR: 21 / DEX: 17 / CON: 14 / INT: 15 / CHA 15
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
5 hours ago, spezzy said:

giphy.gif

They drop your CON score too if you fail enough saves.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

GoodDoug was enjoying the meal. The tavern owner had been very happy to pay the gold and offer the meal. There had been six of the stirges, which was more than he had been expecting. He had dispatched the first two quickly, but the others proved difficult, particularly the one that had latched onto his back between the shoulderblades. It was a great reminder that he needed to work on his flexibility. In the end, he was pretty lucky he was able to get that last one before he passed out from blood loss but he had done it. He hoped no one could tell how pale and weak he was... but he was enjoying the supper and smiled at the fact that he had finished his first real job as an adventurer.

The last few days were good. I've been good about the protein shakes, the exercise, the meditation, and the Duolingo. I've also found some time to do some journaling and am enjoying it. One thing I am trying to do is slow down and focus on good penmanship. Slowing down my writing also helps me with getting my thoughts in order before I put them to paper. I should figure out how to do that while typing on the computer as well... 

Overall, I feel good about how this first week is going. I'm pretty sure I'll level up at the end of the week, looking forward to what that means as I ramp up.

• Like 5

Healers Brigade

Current

1 hour ago, GoodDoug said:

Overall, I feel good about how this first week is going. I'm pretty sure I'll level up at the end of the week, looking forward to what that means as I ramp up.

And that right there is what I love so much about the Nerd Fitness approach to life; breaking down healthy living into SMART goals, striving for new levels, and figuring out what each successive level looks like for each and every one of us!

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ]    Havoc, the Cyberpunk Outrider. 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I'm glad your challenge is going well so far!  Great job with the consistency!!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

GoodDoug wound his way into the cavern, he could barely hear the whimpering of the children he had been sent in to get. They had gone off "on an adventure" and been followed by a trio of goblins looking for an easy meal. Luckily, someone had saw them go in and the goblins follow and had convinced the half-ogre to go save the kids. He had found and scared off the goblins pretty quickly, they weren't really looking for a fight. But the kids had run deeper into the cavern, and now GoodDoug was trying to find them. His tracking skills made it fairly easy to find them, but he was sure his scary face would make getting them out of the cave difficult.

He slowed his breathing and listened, he tried to make his footsteps sound like normal cave sounds as he stealthily moved deeper into the cave network. He finally turned a corner and saw the two kids huddled in a corner, trying to hide. His dark adapted eyes, care of his ogre lineage, could see better than their human eyes. He waited a moment to see what they were doing. One had a dagger and was trying to see in the darkened cave. His friend shuffled, her foot scraping against the sandy cave floor and he saw a small loaded crossbow in her hands.

"Shhh! I think something is still coming after us."

GoodDoug smiled, poor kids were scared out of their wits. He tried to speak softly and pitch his voice to it's most reassuring timbre. "Are you there? I was sent to bring you back to your parents. The goblins ran off." 

Both of the children froze, he could see them assessing the situation, "How do we know you aren't the goblins?"

"The goblins would have snuck in and struck without announcing themselves. They aren't above using trickery, but they would have known you probably couldn't see them in this dark... goblins see very well in the dark."

The girl turned to the boy, "I think he is right. But if this guy makes any false moves, stab him." 

GoodDoug stifled a chuckle. He doubted the dagger could make it through his warty skin. "Follow me and I'll show you the way out."

The children followed along, obviously glad to be leaving these caves. Once the children could see again, they noticed the monstrous figure leading them out. But they were too emotionally exhausted by that point to do anything about it. Their parents and much of the town were waiting at the entrance.

"See, I told you he was a good guy!" the tavern owner exclaimed, and you were worried he was going to eat them." At that, the children ran to each of their parents and sobbed uncontrollably, apologizing for running off. 

Week 1 recap:

I got 210 XP for the week. My adjusted scale means that I have reached level 2!

So, how did I get those XP?

I had my protein shake every day, did Duolingo and my meditation app daily and exercised every day but Sunday (even Rangers need some rest.) I did some journaling a few days this week as well. My goals had me remove XP if I ate more than a set number of "carby snacks" in a day. That number for 1st level was 3, which means I could have up to 3 carby snacks in a day before losing XP. I succeeded at that pretty well, but it was a low bar 😜 One thing I didn't do was work in the garden or on house stuff. I am hoping I can get to some of that this week.

Exercises for me consisted of NF Prime Bodyweight and GMB Mobius every other day. I am also doing the NF Prime mobility challenge (thnx for the great videos Spezzy!) but that is done as an extra. I am really feeling like I am getting stronger as I do these things. We went over to a friends house for Halloween, staying outside and socially distant. It was weird being social again. On Sunday, some of my daughters friends came over, we put on our masks and walked to the beach. It was nice. Since the lockdown, we haven't gone to the beach much because it has been so crowded, but yesterday the beach was fairly quiet. Though I got an unexpected swim in as my daughter and one of her friends went out a little too far and I felt the need to get in the water and help them back to shore. My old lifeguard instincts kicking in. They were appropriately apologetic (like the kids in the story) and now have a good story to tell during distance learning.

Still figuring out what level 2 looks like exactly, but I'll go with what I planned (with an adjustment to the points to get to level three so I make it doable.) That means adding in walking, I hope to get a walk in most nights (10XP extra) while adding in Drawing (5XP) and jumping/parkour specific training (5XP.) The parkour training has to be somewhat separate from the workouts that gave me XP last week... still figuring out what to do there. I'll bet I can find some cool videos to follow (that will be something I can do after I finish this write up.)

So, everything I was doing/trying to do last week and add in walking, drawing, and parkour. I'll set my XP goal to be 450XP for level 3. That should be very doable as long as I can get some walks in. I did my drawing for the day as well as my GMB. Looking good so far, here's hoping I can keep ramping up appropriately.

• Like 2

Healers Brigade

Current

You're on prime? Are you on the discord?

• Like 1

I check the discord every once in a while. I should do it more, I know, but keeping up here is already a bit of effort 

• Like 1

Healers Brigade

Current

12 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

I check the discord every once in a while. I should do it more, I know, but keeping up here is already a bit of effort 

Yeah, Discord and the forums are very different animals. If you're not on discord when the conversation is happening it's very easy to be left behind. The forums are designed for people to be on at different times.

• Like 1