Leigh - S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Leigh

fallout-video-games-fallout-4-fan-art-wa

Since the world feels a heck of a lot like The Commonwealth right about now, with the idiots hoarding basic supplies for no reason (Raiders), the people walking around with no masks, possibly infected and not giving a crap about social distancing (Ghouls) and the ones that get right up in your business yelling that it's all a conspiracy and a lie created to screw people over (Super Mutants) I feel like I need to put some serious effort into What Makes Me Special and level up some stats, pick up a few skills and bask in the reward of the perks I gain as I work through this nonsense...

Recap:

• Took a 30% cut to my income with Covid-19 shut downs closing my workplace early every night and corporate refusing to put us back to normal hours and not compensating workers for this cut in hours.
  • Got basically locked up in my apartment with Canada's Laziest Roomate™ (Jordan), the unluckiest and unhealthiest friend I have (Kristi) and the nicest sad person I know (my lovely girlfriend) for several months.
  • Gained about 14 lbs because all we could eat was cheap, shitty take out, Grocery stores were legit closed before I got off work, not open early enough to get there and back before risking being late for work.
  • Realized that masks are my Kryptonite in how they have striped me entirely of my lip reading abilities, and are actively attacking my skin's ability to keep itself acne free.
  • Had to ship my best friend off to the hospital in an ambulance while she was in her worst Pjays, un-showered and in horrific pain and having to be her point of contact between her family back home, her boss and her boyfriend because she couldn't have any visitors at the hospital and speaking was too tiring for her. She's still recovering from a major hernia and the repair surgery. It's super fun to have the knowledge that if she has a bad coughing fit of lifts something too heavy she could pop out the mesh patch keeping her insides in place...

Fallout_4_SPECIAL_primary_stats.jpg

For anyone who hasn't played any of the Fallout games, the stats are pretty simple and work as well in real life as they do in the game. I'm copying over my base stats from the last challenge since sadly nothing has really changed.

I'm taking an educated guess as to what my real life base stats are at the moment on a scale of 1-10

Strength: 6/10  where 1 would be like how I strong I would be after being bedridden for a few weeks with some horrible wasting sickness and 10 being, I dunno, Gina Carano?

Perception: 2/10, without mass public use of masks I'm normally at like 7/10 with how good my lip reading is. But we don't live in a maskless world anymore.

Endurance: 5/10 I've lost a lot of my daily levels of endurance with the cut in hours, the temporary closing of my gym and the shutdown of anyplace worth going to on my days off I've become lazy as hell and it shows.

Charisma: 4/10 I'm talking visible charisma, my skin has freaked the shit out with having a mask strapped to my face and the constant friction and extreme humidity that builds up during my time at work and my time out in the world. I'm also still growing out a mohawk AND a Quarantine haircut because I got a not so great haircut right before everything shut down in March.

Intelligence: 4/10 I've let my basic adulting slide back to how I was when I first moved out on my own. Spending too much money, not taking care of myself and throwing impulse control to the wind.

Agility: 6/10 I'm still pretty bendy and I've not hurt myself by existing lately but I'd like to improve on this.

Luck: 2/10 I don't think of luck as being totally up to chance, it's about how you set yourself up for things in life. If you never try to do a little extra in work, you've got no chance of getting a raise, or a promotion. If you never study you've got no chance at doing well on a pop quiz, if you don't plan for life altering bad shit you're screwed when it happens. I'm not good at making my own luck and I need to work on this.

All of these things feed into one another and I know if I try and max them all out at the same time I'll utterly fail, or at the very least, have a really bad time during the journey and alienate myself from a lot of people/things that make me happy.

My plan is to divide up the next 12 months into four acts, one for each of the main factions in the game, and each with their own focus on the main things that make me S.P.E.C.I.A.L. as well as general weight loss because I am NOT happy about how much fat I'm carrying around with me and I am starting to feel the effects of the extra weight on my knees and feet.

774447719.png

The Minutemen

They are all about coming together to protect the weak and make life better for the people of the Commonwealth

I'm thinking  Endurance for toughing it out in the wastelands and building up their defences, Charisma for making nice with as many people as possible to ensure a better life for everyone.

049716.jpg

The Institute

These guys are all about using science to make everything better. It's a little creepy how they seem to reject anything that isn't perfect, but at the same time they do some really amazing things.

This one is going to be Intelligence, because of all the scientific advancements they've made and Luck, because they have set themselves up for the best possible outcomes.

0a66c7_a00f03cfcf0c4725b3e3a3a2e424ff23~

The Railroad

Sneaky bastards who are all about saving the underdog and sticking it to the people who don't think they deserve the same rights and freedoms as everyone else.

They're getting Perception for being able to spot traps and hidden allies in unexpected places, and Agility for being able to sneak right past their enemies to free their charges.

wp3766821.jpg

The Brotherhood of Steel

These guys are either seen as the saviors of the world, or a bunch of militant fascists... They're tricky for me. They are the descendants of the surviving military and do their level best to gather up all of the dangerous technology in the world to keep it out of the wrong hands and they see anyone who isn't a stock human as less than worthy and will usually eradicate them like vermin.

They get Strength because of the insane arsenal of technology and weaponry they control that they can use to forge their way in the wastes, and Endurance because they've kept their way of life going for hundreds of years in a hostile environment and have remained one of the most powerful forces in the world.

I'm going to kick things off with The Railroad and work on Perception and Agility.

Perception:

• Get my hearing checked to see if I could benefit from hearing aids.
    • If I could benefit for hearing aids, find out if my work benefits will cover any of the cost and save up to get some.
  • Start hunting for a new pair of glasses since mine are scratched all to hell and starting to fall apart.
    • If I find a pair, save up for them.

Agility:

• Yoga 3 times a week.
  • Get in to see a doctor about my feet. They hurt... literally all of the time. And it's hard to be agile when you have serious trouble walking.
    • Find out if there is any stretches/care I can do on my own to speed up the healing and repair process.
    • Look into orthotics if they are an option.

General Weight Loss:

• Have a small breakfast daily (I'm bad for eating before work and then I impulsively buy junk food)
  • Maintain smaller portions for lunch at work, and dinner on work nights.
  • Walk to and from the train station on workdays instead of taking the bus there.

• Like 7

What an exciting set up, I love this challenge! I have to say though, as a Brit, the term Commonwealth means something different to me but you know what, for at least some of the countries in the commonwealth, at some point in their history, this dystopia does probably scan! 

It sucks about all the changes and you're really having to roll with the punches and play this game on super hard mode but I love your plan and I can't wait to see it unfold!

• Like 2

The Sarcastic Computator

3 hours ago, Laghail said:

Wait, how is Jordan still alive this far into 2020?? I had even odds that you'd have soy-lent'd him back in April.

That boy is the laziest human being I have ever met, and I've met me.... He opted to go on CERB as soon as it was available in Canada and has been on it and off work since March/April and seems to have made it his mission in life to double his body fat and double his already insane beard in the time he has been off of work. 

And as for making Soylent Jordan, I have better taste in men than that thank you very much! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My day just started! As in I just woke up... Man I sleep late this time of year.

Okay so Nerds, I need some advice, or rather I wouldn't mind a few people giving me their opinions on something that came up yesterday.

My bestie Kristi, one of the least healthy people that I know, has asked me if we can go splits on food shopping for the fifteen billionth time...

She is a morbidly obese woman who hates seafood, almost all of the veggies and fruits that I like and is the type who seriously believes that white potatoes and corn with a tremendous amount of butter and salt mixed in as considered healthy vegetables to have as sides with dinner. Her usual meals are pizza, take out burgers and fries, chicken strips and fries, chicken Caesar salads, spaghetti and tomatoes sauce with maybe a little onion added into the plain marinara, grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, those horrid cans of pasta and sauce and a shit load of hamburger helper.

And she wants me and my girlfriend to share food and cooking responsibility with her...

She doesn't like 80% of the stuff I like for dinner and th stuff she does like, is the stuff I'm trying to eat less of, and eat much less often. I do genuinely want to help her eat better and make smarter choices for her health and general well-being but I don't think splitting meals is going to work well at all, it hasn't the last several times we have tried it. 

Should I try it again? Say no and hope she isn't upset, and I mean really upset by my refusal? Offer to help her figure out meals that are within her tastes and help her make them more often? Straight up pull a page out of her book and just make food and force it on her like it is a well intentioned gift and guilt her into eating better things?

I'm at a total loss and she really, really needs to eat better and spend less money on garbage food. 

• Like 2

I think you should say hell no, and remember that what she, as a grown ass woman, chooses to eat is not your drama! I understand you want to help her but it doesn't sound like she wants to help herself so if I were you, I'd just say no and tell her it's because your tastes are too different. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Sarcastic Computator

I think I would separate out the two. It doesn't seem like she is ready to make different choices about her food, so  I don't think I would try and convince her of that. I think I would just say , I don't think it would work for us to  share cooking responsibilities because our tastes are too different. Don't mention any thing about how you are trying to be healthier, just stick to the straight fact of your differing choices in taste.

• Thanks 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

31 minutes ago, Leigh said:

Okay so Nerds, I need some advice, or rather I wouldn't mind a few people giving me their opinions on something that came up yesterday.

Put your own mask on before helping the passenger next to you. Is she actively asking for help with groceries / nutrition? If she's not, and she's just kinda dragging your nutrition game down in a way you're not comfy with, maybe the answer "I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed with 2020 and that's too much logistics for me right now" is pretty neutral.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Put your own mask on before helping the passenger next to you. Is she actively asking for help with groceries / nutrition? If she's not, and she's just kinda dragging your nutrition game down in a way you're not comfy with, maybe the answer "I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed with 2020 and that's too much logistics for me right now" is pretty neutral.

Oh I will always help myself before helping someone else when our needs are equal. I have always done that. And yes, she is straight up asking me for help with food and nutrition. Her boyfriend is military and in really great shape, eats well and takes good care of himself so I think she's feeling really unhealthy in comparison, which is dead on. 

And sadly I am not in pretty much any way overwhelmed by 2020. I'm a bit bored with the fun stuff being all shut down but I am handling this like a freaking champ!

37 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I think I would just say , I don't think it would work for us to  share cooking responsibilities because our tastes are too different.

I will likely be saying this to her. Thanks 😌

38 minutes ago, deftona said:

I think you should say hell no, and remember that what she, as a grown ass woman, chooses to eat is not your drama!

Ahh but she lives with me! So it ends up being my drama either way. But I agree, her life her problem. But I feel like I would be the shittiest of friends if I didn't at least listen to her concerns and try to help her make better choices. 

1 hour ago, Leigh said:

I'm at a total loss and she really, really needs to eat better and spend less money on garbage food. 

"We are set in our eating plans. We'll be happy to include you, but you'll need to adapt to what we eat."

It's really great that you want to help, but it sounds like it'd be pretty easy to fall into a trap if you let her get involved with choosing food. Is it possible to say, this is what we are eating and then figure out a way to incorporate her on the days she'd eat it (maybe like a $ per meal or something)? That way, you could still control the food and menu, but give her the ability to participate.

Other than the above suggestions, which are great, that might be an alternative to a flat out no?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/21/2020 at 11:52 AM, Leigh said:

She doesn't like 80% of the stuff I like for dinner and th stuff she does like, is the stuff I'm trying to eat less of, and eat much less often. I do genuinely want to help her eat better and make smarter choices for her health and general well-being but I don't think splitting meals is going to work well at all, it hasn't the last several times we have tried it. 

Should I try it again? Say no and hope she isn't upset, and I mean really upset by my refusal? Offer to help her figure out meals that are within her tastes and help her make them more often? Straight up pull a page out of her book and just make food and force it on her like it is a well intentioned gift and guilt her into eating better things?

Before I look at what others have said, my initial reaction was "HELL NO".

I've been around enablers my entire life.  I feel a mutation of the phrase, "don't mistake my kindness for weakness" - however, when I did that and was kind regarding this stuff, *I* suffered and *THEY* didn't.  And I'm truly done with it.  It sounds like with the way you worded it, that you would end up paying for a bunch of the garbage food that she's eating.  The only thing that has worked for me in the past (and is currently working) is doing what I need to do to be the best person I can be: and if people want to follow that example then awesome for them.

I know it's difficult:  I've seen my older sister balloon up, my ex-g/f bloated up, saw my mom stay unhealthy until she died on the couch.  In each of these scenarios, I lent a hand and they bit it; whining and complaining about all the reasons why they couldn't do things the healthy way.  So I've stopped: they are adults.  They are able to make their own decisions.  If they want to make a healthy decision to follow in your footsteps, then cheer them on.  But I feel like considering this has been attempted before with shitty results seems like it would happen again.

The definition of insanity is having the same thing happen but expecting different results.  What will be DIFFERENT this time to ensure that you are sabotaged and jeopardized?  I mean we text on the phone and you've told me how you felt before you made your challenge: do you really want to have an additional person's burden when you yourself are getting your shit together?

If she wants help: as in, knowledge, then teach her the right way.  But past that, it's something she has to do herself.

Steam Community :: Guide :: How to be smarted

I know that some might find what I'm saying to be heartless in a certain light, but I'm just saying that you can't be drowning and help another person whose also drowning.  If this weren't covid times and hours weren't slashed, being overworked and underpaid, spiraling into depression; it would be a very different story but at this stage, I care about you and want you to be solid 10000000% first.  If you wanna sugarcoat the above response, go for it.  Obviously nothing harsh to put anyone down: they should be empowered.  But empowerment isn't doing shit FOR them, it's for convincing them to do it for themselves.

/rant

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 10/21/2020 at 11:52 AM, Leigh said:

My day just started! As in I just woke up... Man I sleep late this time of year.

My bestie Kristi, one of the least healthy people that I know, has asked me if we can go splits on food shopping for the fifteen billionth time...

She is a morbidly obese woman who hates seafood, almost all of the veggies and fruits that I like and is the type who seriously believes that white potatoes and corn with a tremendous amount of butter and salt mixed in as considered healthy vegetables to have as sides with dinner. Her usual meals are pizza, take out burgers and fries, chicken strips and fries, chicken Caesar salads, spaghetti and tomatoes sauce with maybe a little onion added into the plain marinara, grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, those horrid cans of pasta and sauce and a shit load of hamburger helper.

And she wants me and my girlfriend to share food and cooking responsibility with her...

What if you sit down with her and have a really honest conversation about what each of the three of you want out of food, and see if working together even aligns? Did she say why she wanted to go in on the shopping and food making with you? Could it be that she sees you eating healthier and this is her way of saying that she wants to eat more like you, but doesn't want to say that because eating healthier is a big change that is terrifying? (I'm not sure the history here, or her motivations, but that is one possibility)

So you could say:

• These are our goals when it comes to food, what are your goals? 
  • This is how we want to eat, and what meals we plan on making and want to be a part of our meals, for our nutritional requirements
  • This is why it's been a struggle in the past, and what would need to change in order for this to work

And then IF you could come to an agreement, let her know it's on a trial run for 2 weeks - and if it doesn't work, it's back to normal. 

That way, she's feeling heard instead of just shut down, and she may see that it isn't a good fit because you want different things. 

• Like 3
Spezzy, the Arcane Skirmisher
Chaotic Good Quarter Elf Slayer/Magus
STR: 21 / DEX: 17 / CON: 14 / INT: 15 / CHA 15
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
On 10/21/2020 at 1:39 PM, Sylvaa said:

"We are set in our eating plans. We'll be happy to include you, but you'll need to adapt to what we eat."

See this is exactly what I would want someone to say to me if I were in her place about any issue. 

12 hours ago, Teros said:

If she wants help: as in, knowledge, then teach her the right way.  But past that, it's something she has to do herself.

Steam Community :: Guide :: How to be smarted

I know that some might find what I'm saying to be heartless in a certain light, but I'm just saying that you can't be drowning and help another person whose also drowning.  If this weren't covid times and hours weren't slashed, being overworked and underpaid, spiraling into depression; it would be a very different story but at this stage, I care about you and want you to be solid 10000000% first.  If you wanna sugarcoat the above response, go for it.  Obviously nothing harsh to put anyone down: they should be empowered.  But empowerment isn't doing shit FOR them, it's for convincing them to do it for themselves.

I can be 100% heartless about shit when I need/want to. I am VERY Dutch Canadian like that. I prefer blunt, to the point and sugar free discussions whenever possible, but I fully understand that I can't get away with that kind of thing without looking like a total bitch and offending/upsetting my emotionally weaker friends and family.

11 hours ago, spezzy said:

So you could say:

• These are our goals when it comes to food, what are your goals? 
  • This is how we want to eat, and what meals we plan on making and want to be a part of our meals, for our nutritional requirements
  • This is why it's been a struggle in the past, and what would need to change in order for this to work

And then IF you could come to an agreement, let her know it's on a trial run for 2 weeks - and if it doesn't work, it's back to normal. 

That way, she's feeling heard instead of just shut down, and she may see that it isn't a good fit because you want different things. 

I like the idea of asking her what she wants to accomplish and if she's willing to do things my way with a reasonable level of compromise on things that I am willing to compromise on. I am about 95% sure she will not be willing/able to eat what I am willing to cook more than 10% of the time.

All in all, I was pretty certain that most reasonable people would be like 

tenor.gif

to the idea she put forth. I just knew I should ask for opinions about it because in my current mental state I'm not as aware of how blunt I am being about things or if my gut reaction was too harsh.

Because my idea of what makes for a cheap, healthy dinner looks like this:

Shrimp-Stir-Fry-SpendWithPennies-3.jpg

and hers is usually this...

getMainImageSquare.php?upc=0001600043064

• Like 3

I've never played much Fallout, but I love their stat system (and anybody who is anybody knows how obsessed I am with attribute points 😆).  Also love me some gameified challenges!  Can't wait to see how you grind out these points for yourself and navigate your roommate woes.

9 hours ago, Leigh said:

I am VERY Dutch Canadian like that.

Blunt like a rusty farm implement, but apologize at the end, right?  #typicalcanadian

821dea6f76498775d2ce4489961dae0c.gif

9 hours ago, Leigh said:

Because my idea of what makes for a cheap, healthy dinner looks like this:

Wait, are you telling me shrimp is cheap in Ottawa?

Gosh darnit I need to get out of the Prairies ASASASASASAP.!!  I miss New Brunswick at times like these  🤣

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik 'Hav0k' Harrgath, Blademaster Adept and shadow-running Ronin extraordinaire.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Ha! Well I personally consider just shy of a kilo for $9.99 to be cheap at any rate. And if you are anything like my friend Shannon in Winnipeg, you would greatly enjoy a visit to the Ottawa area. 

I sadly only have one memory of time spent in New Brunswick and it is of the time I was nearly rushed to the ER when I had an almost anaphylactic shock reaction to a horse. Good times! 

Although my Mum lives in Nova Scotia these days and I have had a good trip both times I went out there. Although swimming in the North Atlantic left a lot to be desired. Grubs! Grubs everywhere! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Leigh said:

Ha! Well I personally consider just shy of a kilo for $9.99 to be cheap at any rate. And if you are anything like my friend Shannon in Winnipeg, you would greatly enjoy a visit to the Ottawa area. 

I sadly only have one memory of time spent in New Brunswick and it is of the time I was nearly rushed to the ER when I had an almost anaphylactic shock reaction to a horse. Good times!

I've been to TO a few times and OTT once, each time was excellent.  I'm a big fan of Ontario (even though I wouldn't want to live there 😬).  I think it would be AB or BC for me if I were to stay in Canada long term. 

I think the cheapest I've seen shrimp here is BOGO 1lb 14.99 🤣

What a coincidence, my clearest memory from New Brunswick involved a hospital too.  Although not nearly so dramatic as yours! haha

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik 'Hav0k' Harrgath, Blademaster Adept and shadow-running Ronin extraordinaire.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

The challenge is off to a rough start. Yesterday I woke up incredibly congested and even a double dose of decongestant and a 24 allergy med didn't put a dent in the nonsense that was happening in my face. :( I've gone through 1.5 boxes of tissue and I can't taste anything because I can't smell anything. 

This sucks.

I will not let this stop me from getting shit done. 

Yesterday I chose to rest and try and get better since It's literally allergies on crack and I need to be functional at work. I got a decent amount of sleep and did absolutely nothing but enjoy Bob's Burgers and a silly game on my phone in bed all day. It would have been an excellent lazy Sunday if I had been able to fully taste food and not scare my cats with violent sneezing every few minutes. Poor things, one of them startled himself right off of a desk chair and onto another cat, which was sad for him, and hilarious for me :D

Yoga is delayed until tomorrow because I have slightly impaired balance due to head congestion and I can't do any downward poses without deeply offending my nose and falling over.

But good news! (for literally only me) It's starting to get cold enough for snow! Horrid wet snow that's closer to rain than snow, but it's still nice to see an early lead into the winter season and an excellent excuse to wear my giant fluffy boots to work :D I was still in sandals on Saturday to and from and it was about 1C outside when I was walking home. The fact that my feet were still warm in flip flops makes literally no sense to me, but I'll allow it.

• Like 3