Waanie's lockdown challenge

Waanie

So, we're back in lockdown again here in The Netherlands. This means no climbing, no orchestra rehearsals and barely any biking to work. We've been told to prepare for a Christmas in lockdown, so I can't just sit back and wait until it's all over. It will be hard mentally, and that's on top of the fall-weather (a.k.a. gray and rain) and the days becoming shorter. During the lockdown in spring I lost a lot of strength, so this lockdown I want to stay at least as strong, and preferrably get stronger than I currently am, and also otherwise stay in an okay physical shape.

1. Go outside (250 minutes/week)

Getting some daylight in is good for me. 250 minutes per week is much less than what I'd get when going to work regularly, but for lockdown times it seems like a sensible minimum.

2. Strength training (2 times/week)

Last challenge I did once a week to get the habit to stick; this challenge I want to work out twice a week to actually get stronger as well. I think I got my pull-up form back now as well now that I trained with a chair to assist a lot, which I'm really glad for. I still have to be mindful to not pull with first one arm and then the other, but at least I can do symmetric assisted pull-ups again. I will continue with the other bodyweight exercises as well. 

3. Mobility work (4 times/week)

I'm sitting too much when I don't leave the house, so my body tends to stiffen up. To combat that, I'm doing some mobility work, going from a minimum of 3 to 4 times a week since last challenge.

4. Enjoy the coziness indoors

When I'm not allowed to do fun things with other people, it's important for me to put everything in perspective and to realise that staying at home also has its pros. The cats love sitting with us, we play boardgames, I have plenty of tea, etc. This is no SMART goal in any sense of the word, but just some general gratitude-goal whenever I think of it. Having said that, here's a picture of mycat enjoying the warmth of my legs:

dEag9Mb.jpg

Anyway, this week and next week I'll have a few days off, and I'm still looking for fun things to do. This afternoon I'm going to bake a lemon-dessert (self-saucing sponge), and I want to look a bit more into app-development since programming is cool. I'll be reading and playing games a lot as well. Do you guys have any ideas for fun (vegetarian) things to cook next week? Not too complicated, but maybe something I would otherwise not make? I like cooking, and it's definitely the weather for it at the moment.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

VEGETARIAN LASAGNA ALWAYS lol but I feel we have talked about this and you have made it before and its not really fun. 

I had "zucchini fries" once before.. basically deep fried zucchini. Pretty good, but might kill you because of the oil content lol. Maybe some type of zucchini fritter.

And for those fall vibes... butternut squash soup ❤️ 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

4 minutes ago, Rookie said:

VEGETARIAN LASAGNA ALWAYS lol but I feel we have talked about this and you have made it before and its not really fun. 

I had "zucchini fries" once before.. basically deep fried zucchini. Pretty good, but might kill you because of the oil content lol. Maybe some type of zucchini fritter.

And for those fall vibes... butternut squash soup ❤️ 

We just made butternut squash/spinach cannelloni this weekend, I guess that's too close to that lasagna already (also calorie-wise, lol). We have half a butternut squash leftover, so that soup is actually something I could make quite easily. I never make zucchini fritters, so that's a good idea as well if they're still affordable (the season for them is over now) :).

• Like 1

Here for dutch solidarity! 
Do you like chai latte? I really enjoy making that myself with all of the spices etc. It’s also fun to experiment with to get it exactly right. And cosiness is spelled with t e a right? ;) 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Here for dutch solidarity! 
Do you like chai latte? I really enjoy making that myself with all of the spices etc. It’s also fun to experiment with to get it exactly right.

Welcome! 

I'm not sure if I've ever had chai latte, but it would be a fun experiment indeed :).

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

And cosiness is spelled with t e a right? ;)

You don't wanna know how much tea I drink on a day already :lol:. Tea is good for almost any mood, from being sad to being happy, and being cold to being bored. It's the perfect beverage ;)

Holy crap, those are some legs.  Cats are elastic and will stretch to the occasion :)

I just saw a recipe the made me curious.  A beet chocolate cake, and since I have beets just taking up space in my fridge, I may explore this further.   I just can't face roasted beets again but also can't waste them.

I think it may be time to up my cozy/tea game.  Do you have particular mood-based choices to recommend? 

Following!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Waanie said:

You don't wanna know how much tea I drink on a day already :lol:. Tea is good for almost any mood, from being sad to being happy, and being cold to being bored. It's the perfect beverage ;)

I am pleased that we are in perfect agreement! :D 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

3 hours ago, Chesire said:

Holy crap, those are some legs.  Cats are elastic and will stretch to the occasion :)

It is a confusing perspective, since I took the picture with my phone, but yes, cats are liquid ^_^.

3 hours ago, Chesire said:

I just saw a recipe the made me curious.  A beet chocolate cake, and since I have beets just taking up space in my fridge, I may explore this further.   I just can't face roasted beets again but also can't waste them.

That's an interesting idea. I had brownies with beetroot once at a friend's place, and it didn't taste bad at all. Not as good as normal brownies though. When I have some beetroot, I usually make either a risotto or a salad with it. Beetroot risotto with some greens like arugula or spinach looks amazing colour-wies, and I love the taste. The salads either go in the direction of a green, beetroot, a legume and a soft cheese, or I make this regularly. I love that it's so colourful :). I did get some chocolate with grocery shopping today, so I might actually bake something choclate-y soon :).

4 hours ago, Chesire said:

I think it may be time to up my cozy/tea game.  Do you have particular mood-based choices to recommend? 

Hmm, not really. I have a standard black tea for being the first pot in the morning. Green tea is more an afternoon-tea for me, but I currently don't have any green teas I really like (my favourite is jasmin, by the way). I try to not drink too much caffeine, so at some point during the day I switch to herbal infusions and rooibos. Interestingly enough, the rooibos with strawberry and cream-taste is my favourite, even though it hasn't seen cream nor strawberries in its life. Fennel seeds make for a nice evening infusion, and I also use chamomille, mint or pre-mixed teas in the evening. It's all very personal though, I now understand where the expression "someone's cup of tea" is coming from ;).

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I am pleased that we are in perfect agreement! :D 

Oh yeah! I should go shopping for new tea at some point again, my stores are running low ;).

3 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

I already love your cat!

Thanks! Unfortunately for you, she doesn't love strangers, I'm the only one allowed to pet her, with some exceptions for my boyfriend if I'm unavailable :lol:.

• Like 1

This morning I had clarinet lesson, and I'm slowly but surely working my way through Google's android development tutorials. This afternoon we had some dry weather for the first time in what seems forever, so I went for a walk and some groceries. Tonight I'll make a sauerkraut-crumble with cheese, tomorrow I'll follow Rookie's suggestion and make butternut squash-soup, and then Friday a pasta with leftover vegetables and cheeses. I got some chocolate and we have plenty of flour, butter and sugar, so some baking might happen in the next few days as well :)

I really should do strength training today, but I'm not feeling it yet. I'm setting an alarm for later this afternoon, so that I won't forget ;).

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Waanie said:

Thanks! Unfortunately for you, she doesn't love strangers, I'm the only one allowed to pet her, with some exceptions for my boyfriend if I'm unavailable :lol:.

Ah, now I've had that said to me before. I travelled for an OCR and stayed with someone (from the forums, as it happens!) for the weekend. I was told one of her cats did not like strangers at all and wouldn't come anywhere near me, let alone allow me to pet him. And funnily enough, when I went in, this particular cat was rubbing up against my legs and demanding I pet him! Heh, not sure it'd work every time though!

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

On 10/20/2020 at 9:05 AM, Waanie said:

Do you guys have any ideas for fun (vegetarian) things to cook next week? Not too complicated, but maybe something I would otherwise not make? I like cooking, and it's definitely the weather for it at the moment.

I am mainly vegetarian but now that I am trying to think of fun stuff I realize what we eat is quite boring. Things I would like to do but never tried include pizza (making the dough myself), panisses (fried snack food made from chickpea flour) and vegetarian sushi. I also tried making buffalo cauliflower wings recently, I failed but it was fun ^^

• Like 1

Current challenge

"Failure is the mark of a life well lived." - Brandon Sanderson, Oathbringer. 

11 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Ah, now I've had that said to me before. I travelled for an OCR and stayed with someone (from the forums, as it happens!) for the weekend. I was told one of her cats did not like strangers at all and wouldn't come anywhere near me, let alone allow me to pet him. And funnily enough, when I went in, this particular cat was rubbing up against my legs and demanding I pet him! Heh, not sure it'd work every time though!

It's nice for that cat to let you cuddle them :). I love the cat-cuddles.

9 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

I am mainly vegetarian but now that I am trying to think of fun stuff I realize what we eat is quite boring. Things I would like to do but never tried include pizza (making the dough myself), panisses (fried snack food made from chickpea flour) and vegetarian sushi. I also tried making buffalo cauliflower wings recently, I failed but it was fun ^^

Hello fellow almost-vegetarian :). We are eating lots of interesting food, and now that I have some spare time, we can switch it up a little. I make pizza about once a month with a no-knead dough, so it's not as much work as you might think. Making my own buffalo-sauce and combining that with roasted cauliflower sounds amazing, I will need to try that. I've never had buffalo sauce, but it looks simple enough on the internet. The panisses would make for a nice side for that as well, although I don't know if I can hunt down affordable chickpea flour. Thanks for the ideas!

I'm currently procrastinating from my mobility work, so more updates after I've done that ;).

• Like 1

Wednesday I did do my strength training before dinner. I chose to progress from assisted pull-ups to negatives, and after the first set I was considering if I wouldn't need to do more reps that set. By the 3rd set however, my negatives were less controlled, and today my lats and left bicep are sore. I hadn't realised how much I'm letting my legs assist! Still, it was a good workout, and I can see myself getting stronger, slowly but surely. I made sauerkraut for the first time this year, combined with apple, sultanas, vegetarian meatballs and a cheesy crumble on top.

Thursday morning I woke up slowly, and was "assisted" with my newspaper reading by my cat:

YT0CUs5.jpeg

I did some reading, and got a little time on NF. I just finished my mobility work for today, and I'm now debating either catching up more on NF, or enjoying the blue sky outside. I guess it's going to be the blue sky though, and catch up some more this afternoon. 

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Wise choice!

can I have your zuurkool recipe? I’m a big fan.

It was a good choice indeed, the weather was close to perfect, and with the trees turning colour it was really nice out :D.

I use this recipe for the zuurkool, but with apple and raisins instead of pineapple, and any cured meat (nowadays meat-replacement) that I feel like. It's amazing with bacon, chorizo or shoarma as well (fry the shoarma before putting it in, obviously). I usually use one pack of sauerkraut (500g) and two-thirds of the crumble for two people. In short:

1. Mix 500g sauerkraut, an apple, a handfull sultanas and a cured meat(-replacement) of your choice in a 15x25cm oven dish
  2. Mix 100g flour, 67g grated cheese and 67g butter to a crumbly mixture. Bring to taste with a pinch of salt, plenty of pepper and some dried thyme
  3. Sprinkle crumble on top of the sauerkraut-mixture and bake at 200C for 25 minutes.

That's it! You could probably even start doing some of these steps together with Emma, if you think she'll enjoy it. It's relatively cheap, and the ingredients all stay good for a long time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This afternoon I decided on making mocha muffins with chocolate chunks and nuts, and I'm glad that I'm really starting to enjoy baking again :). I also experimented with spiced tea (thanks @KB Girl for the inspiration!), adding cloves, cinnamon and cardemom to an otherwise simple black tea. I really like this combination, so I'll surely repeat this "recipe" :D. The warmth of the spices give it something autumny, which is great right now.

After this morning's walk I'm now at 203 outside-minutes this week, so only 47 to go. I'm also getting more and more sore as the day progresses, maybe progressing/changing up the exercises was more taxing than I realised ;).

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Waanie said:

This afternoon I decided on making mocha muffins with chocolate chunks and nuts

They sound absolutely delicious!

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

2 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

They sound absolutely delicious!

They were! Somehow this challenge inspires me to cook all sort of tasty things :D.

The spiced butternut squash soup I made after @Rookie's suggestion was great as well. I served it with a baguette with herbed butter, which I hadn't made in a long time as well. Tomorrow will probably more boring cooking-wise, but we'll see ;).

I do realize that my meals are not low-calorie, low-fat, low-carb or anything other "low", but I think it's nothing too extreme. I can eat relatively much compared to other women, so as long as my weight stays healthy, I feel free to enjoy life especially during my vacation.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Waanie said:

They were! Somehow this challenge inspires me to cook all sort of tasty things :D.

Can I trouble you for a recipe?

5 minutes ago, Waanie said:

The spiced butternut squash soup I made after @Rookie's suggestion was great as well. I served it with a baguette with herbed butter, which I hadn't made in a long time as well. Tomorrow will probably more boring cooking-wise, but we'll see ;).

Everyone's making butternut squash soup! It's definitely an autumn thing, I think. Funny, because I'm making mine tomorrow!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Everyone's making butternut squash soup! It's definitely an autumn thing, I think. Funny, because I'm making mine tomorrow!

It's a classic :). We had half a butternut squash leftover from the cannelloni, and we hadn't had the soup yet this year ;).

15 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Can I trouble you for a recipe?

Of course! Mocha muffins.

• Like 1