On the back of last month's successful challenge, I've got full nerd and built my own personal RPG based around my training habits. 

I got thinking about this after adding in Achievements in the last challenge. I found these quite motivating, but the adhoc nature of them left me wanting. 

For this challenge, I'm going to start tracking XP and levelling up! Why didn't I ever think of this before??

I've got a Google doc to track everything, but the key components are the XP Task chart, Levelling chart, and daily logs. Here are the first 2:

image.png.3cbdc9bd8bfb911d7ecab02084f2630f.png

image.png.85da0859b77ab152bceeb8c7811af150.png

In a nutshell, I'm going to be tracking my daily activities, runs, etc and applying XP to each of them. My goal for this challenge is to level up at least once. Ideally as I progress, the tasks will get harder and garner more XP, and I can keep aiming for a new level each challenge. 

I'll be focusing on benchmarking my running and improving my fitness. Each week I will do:

• A timed 5k where I will try to beat the previous week's time
  • A hill run. I've identified 5 big hills to conquer, increasing in difficulty throughout the challenge
  • A 1h long run at any pace each weekend

At the end I will have a baseline for my 5k time, be able to RUN up the 5 hills, and last an hour on my feet.

I graciously awarded myself 1000 xp for completing the last challenge, so I'm starting this one at Level 2. I'll be tracking my progress pre-challenge to keep the momentum going as well. I'm up to 1025xp as of this morning, so just 975xp to go - easy peasy.

If anyone reading this wants to play along, I'd love to see how you go as well and would be happy to share my doc. It's a work in progress but seems to be doing the trick so far.

The other bit that I'm still working on is beating enemies/boss fights. The way this is going to work is that I'm still following on my current diet regime, with menus all planned out each weekend. My 'mobs' are the social engagements and temptations that pop up along the way. Each sticky situation that I get out of will net me some bonus XP. I've only got a few mobs defined so far but will likely add to the list as I get tempted:

image.png.37b3240aff7af8cd71642e63e9fd899f.png

Oh and also Quests. These are long-term goals. I probably won't knock many of these off, but they're there anyways:

image.png.c7443ba74e2fd57a08c1d259942a0566.png

This is going to be heaps of fun - Can't wait for the challenge to start!

Oh and @Endor 

tenor.gif?itemid=16137544

Shall we say parkrun on the last day of the challenge?

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

That is a pretty cool way to track it. I remember Nerd Fitness had a blog post on RPGing like that. It made a lot of sense. I mean really that is what we are doing. We just can't see the forest for the trees right?

Good luck on your challenge.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ladymorella said:

That is a pretty cool way to track it. I remember Nerd Fitness had a blog post on RPGing like that. It made a lot of sense. I mean really that is what we are doing. We just can't see the forest for the trees right?

Good luck on your challenge.

Thanks! We'll see if it pays off...I did 4 separate exercise sessions today, so I think it's going to work :)

• Like 2
On 10/21/2020 at 10:52 AM, BarefootDawsy said:

Shall we say parkrun on the last day of the challenge?

Didn't know they'd reopened, cool. I don't think that weekend is gonna work... let me check it out. I might need some more prep time for a 5 unless i walk some of it. In terrible shape. Guess i better do this challenge then just in case.  

I've booked a month off mid Dec to mid Jan... gotta fit a run in there somewhere!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Endor said:

Didn't know they'd reopened, cool. I don't think that weekend is gonna work... let me check it out. I might need some more prep time for a 5 unless i walk some of it. In terrible shape. Guess i better do this challenge then just in case.  

I've booked a month off mid Dec to mid Jan... gotta fit a run in there somewhere!

All good mate, just riling you up anyways to make you want to do another challenge ;) 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Day 1 and I've hit the ground running - literally.

Kicked  things off this morning with my first proper, non-stop long run in nearly a decade. I ran for 1 hour and knocked off 8km. Not my fastest run, but better than I expected :)

On track so far:

Week 1:

Long Run: Complete: 1h/8km

5k: Pending

Hills: Pending

Stats:

Current XP 1550
Level Level 2
To Next Level: 450

On a side note, I broke the 90kg barrier this week! Feels good to be getting my health back in order - it's been way too long.

giphy.gif

• Like 4
15 hours ago, BarefootDawsy said:

On a side note, I broke the 90kg barrier this week! Feels good to be getting my health back in order - it's been way too long.

Nice! 

15 hours ago, BarefootDawsy said:

Day 1 and I've hit the ground running - literally.

Kicked  things off this morning with my first proper, non-stop long run in nearly a decade. I ran for 1 hour and knocked off 8km. Not my fastest run, but better than I expected :)

On track so far:

Week 1:

Long Run: Complete: 1h/8km

Woot!!!

• Like 1

Wow! I just finished my benchmark 5k, and I've shocked myself. I was expecting in the low forties to be my time, but today the conditions were perfect: 14 degrees, light rain. And the track is ideal: 1k slight incline, 1.5k slight decline, out and back. 

The run went so well. My first k was under 7 minutes, which was a shock, and I was already over the first hill. I notched it up slightly at each km mark and ended up negative-splitting each section. 

I finished at 31 minutes flat! This was literally over 10 minutes better than expected.

As a result I've levelled up....twice! I completed my "Break 40 minutes" and "Break 35 minutes" quests, netting 1000 and 2000 xp respectively.

As of right now, I'm on the brink of level 5:

Current XP 4,725
Level Level 4
To Next Level: 275

SO PUMPED!

image.png.62b7c88af7aa4c7ba2d3d9409b789a6b.png

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1
7 hours ago, BarefootDawsy said:

I finished at 31 minutes flat! This was literally over 10 minutes better than expected.

As a result I've levelled up....twice! I completed my "Break 40 minutes" and "Break 35 minutes" quests,

Congrats!! That is pretty awesome.

• Like 1

First hills session this morning, and again, much better than expected. I was making good time and went further than expected, so I nabbed a second hill from the list while I was at it.

Did 5k in 39:50, conquering hills 1 and 3. The task XP from these plus some bonuses for 10000 steps, healthy eating, and extra workouts this week has pushed me up and over the Level 5 limit so....LEVEL UP!

That's the last of the "easy" levels done, though if I can break 30 minutes next week, I'll get to level 6 pretty quickly. Time to start grinding!

Current XP 5,080
Level Level 5
To Next Level: 2,920

giphy.gif

image.png.e228d348d1ed1f01eba5e70983e5ee6b.png

Nailed it @Kestrel Grey - you should have put some money on it :) I'm betting level 7 at least now!

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

This was a massive week, and everything just fell into place. I'm really loving the RPG-style tracking! I'm super-motivated, and my gamer mind has taken over to the point where I'm finding myself seeking out ways to grind more XP. 

I set the program up to earn about 1000XP each week, but as mentioned in my previous posts, I ended up doing a lot more than that. I think doing a full challenge of just prep last month has really paid off, and my base fitness is much higher than I expected.

So yeah, goals for this week were decimated:

5k Timed run - complete (double level break)

Hills run - complete (2 hills)

Long run - complete 

I also did 10000 steps each day, and am on track for 20000 today. And I've knocked off another week of my pushups program from the last challenge.

Bring on week 2! :)

giphy.gif

• Like 5

I set myself a goal this morning to build on last week's success and try to hit my 5k target of 30 minutes or less. I used a bunch of my old tricks: doing a 5 minute warmup, tracking splits, ending on a downhill, and listening to music. If there was one thing going against me it was probably a little bit of DOMS form the weekend's long run.

I'm very pleased to report that it was a success! I managed 5k in 29:51! This is literally my goal for the year and I can't believe it's already fallen. I had nothing in the tank at the end of the run, so I don't think improvements from here are going to be easy.  I'll be re-jigging some of my goals to shift things up to the next gear. 

As a result of this run, I've levelled up! I hit level 6 :)

giphy.gif

image.png.7ac2f4eb5d53c45bf95f3f134c1bd680.png

Also, Quest unlocked: 10k

Image result for cat has a quest for me | Cats, Funny animals, Animals

As a reward for completing the "5k under 30 minutes" goal, I've received 2 new quests:

1. 10km in one session (2000 XP)
  2. 10km in under 1 hour (3000 XP)

I'm going to shift focus to knocking off these quests over the next couple of weeks. 

I'm so pleased to be enjoying exercise again!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3