The Cliffs of Insanity: a Scouting adventure

Kestrel Grey

Friday

Get outside in the morning - yes

3 x fruits and veg - 1/3

Saturday

Get outside in the morning - no

3 x fruits and veg - 3/3

On Friday I went for a nice hike in the mountains.  My ankle was feeling 100% and it had warmed to 10C so it was lovely, though a little icy and very windy.  There was some serious concern that I would be crushed by blown over trees at points, but the trees are still quite bendy this early in the season and I remain uncrushed.  I think the three days of poor eating caught up with me yesterday because I felt crappy and slept all day.  It did spur me to finally take my nutrition seriously and I ate sensibly on Saturday.

Yesterday's fun was my husband and I attempted to replace the bathroom sink faucet.  This was our first time handling any plumbing and it didn't go well.  It looks pretty and works if you discount the multiple leaks; the instructions didn't say anything about putting plumbing caulk on the connections.  Today we will have to take it apart and do it over.

plumbermeme hashtag on Twitter

• Like 2

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Week Two - stop wussing out

Tracking this week:

1.  Eat meals, not snacks.  I will plan out three meals (plus something before bed) and not graze outside of those.

2.  Follow the training plan as written.  Stop swapping out for more enjoyable workouts or cutting them short.

I did some obstacle planning for following the training plan as written.  After writing it out, frankly I am amazed I ever exercise at all.

Spoiler

Obstacles:

• tired in the mornings
  • can't make noise when I get home at night
  • gym may be unsafe/covid restrictions
  • miscalculate how long chores will take and run out of time
  • get distracted and run out of time
  • weather (sleet/-30/etc)
  • have to move furniture to have room at home
  • distance to good running trails
  • workout clothes in the laundry
  • workout clothes too small/unflattering
  • avoid doing unpleasant workouts
  • illnesses
  • injuries
  • energy fluctuations from seasonal affective disorder
  • unexpected events (sick pet/called into work/leaking pipe)
  • and some days, I just really don't feel like it

Some of these already have work-arounds.  The ones to tackle this week are probably being tired in the mornings (practice better sleep hygiene) and getting distracted and running out of time (don't go on the internet for anything until after I train).  This week's food focus will mostly rely on preplanning and prep.

• Like 4

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Don't overlook the wins. You've managed to get out on some mornings and have your eating back on track, well done!

"On Friday I went for a nice hike in the mountains."  Sounds lovely! I'd love to live somewhere closer to greenery!!!

That obstacle planning list is a good idea, I may need to do something similar. I like lists... 😍

• Like 2

Good news for the week:

Bathroom faucet is beautiful and non-leaky. Third time is the charm. And now we feel like handymen.

It has been nice and warm, even if I haven't gotten out in it yet. 

I found and started using my blue light blocking glasses at night and they seem to be helping my sleep.

Work projects are coming along slowly but surely.

We are two days past the US election and the world hasn't imploded, so it looks like we will survive it.

This week has been stressful and maybe not the most successful for fitnessing. I'm not going to try recapping the week so far except to remind myself that a week is very little on the grand scheme of things, and if this headache ever goes away there is still lots of time for a couple runs.

• Like 4

― Neil Gaiman

35 minutes ago, ladymorella said:

Congrats on the plumbing project. Some of those things are so frustrating. Glad you got it done.

I have wondered about those blue light glasses.

Thanks. The first few tries were frustrating but considering it was our first time attempting anything fixture related, it went well. 

@Elastigirl uses the blue light blockers to sleep better too. It's funny; you'd think I would need them more in the summer with the longer days.  But it's in the winter that they become necessary. 

― Neil Gaiman

Week Two Summary

tenor (1).gif

Yes I know it's only Friday but I'm calling it.  This tracking system is not working.  My schedule needs to be flexible and the way I'm tracking only works if every day goes to plan. Next week will have weekly targets to hit any way I can.  It worked well for my running in the spring over several months (until the race cancellations eventually dried up all my motivation) so hopefully I can revive the success.

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

9 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Thanks. The first few tries were frustrating but considering it was our first time attempting anything fixture related, it went well. 

@Elastigirl uses the blue light blockers to sleep better too. It's funny; you'd think I would need them more in the summer with the longer days.  But it's in the winter that they become necessary. 

Same here. I do use them some in the summer if I'm watching TV before bed,  but it doesn't make as much of a difference as it does now that the days are shorter.

• Like 2

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I stress ate half a box of Bailey's chocolates this weekend.  That's okay, it's cold and windy out there.  I'll need the fat for warmth with my renewed commitment to running starting Monday.

Week 3 tracking (target minimums):

1. Run 2 hours

2. Eat 20 vegetables

• Like 4

― Neil Gaiman

18 hours ago, Xena said:

I hope they were delicious!

Very :D

― Neil Gaiman

Monday

Run: 0 min (0/2 hrs)

Veggies: 2 (2/20)

Tuesday

Run: ~30 min (30 min/2 hrs)

Veggies: 2 (4/20)

Today was a good test of the weekly target system.  There was a nasty little snow squall that had been going on for hours when I woke up, the kind that stings and blinds you and turns to ice when it hits.  I looked outside, thought about my weekly target, and headed out for my run.  So yes it works for me.  That's a relief because I was afraid the only reason it worked in the spring was the high pre-race season motivation.  The veggie target is starting slowly but not on purpose, I just keep forgetting to make my smoothie or grab a salad for my lunch bag.

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

Wednesday 

Run: none (30 min/2 hrs)

Veggies: 2 (6/20)

Thursday 

Run: none (30 min/2 hrs)

Veggies: 4 (10/20)

My body decided to develop a UTI so running is delayed until that's cleared up. I'm off this weekend so if I can run both days, I can still hit my target.  Wednesday's low veggie count was due to poor planning again so I got serious on Thursday and had random vegetables throughout. Starting with a bowl of lettuce with my breakfast. Whatever works.

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

8 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Starting with a bowl of lettuce with my breakfast. Whatever works.

That's some serious dedication ;) 

• Like 2

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

1 hour ago, Xena said:

feel better. That's no fun at all.

Thanks. Today was pretty miserable. I drank cranberry juice and water until I threw up and it didn't help so I'm on antibiotics now. I try to avoid them whenever possible. But it's starting to get better.  Still no leaving the house this weekend, so my running will stay at 0.5/2 hours.

I had one celery stalk today, so veggies are 11/20. There's still time to make that target if I can eat normally tomorrow. 

P.S. for all you blessed individuals who don't get UTIs: yes, they really really suck.

― Neil Gaiman

Apple cider vinegar can be helpful (I think it helps more than cranberry).

The other thing I've found that helps is Cystex. Not sure about in Canada, but in the US you can get Cystex over the counter, but need to go to a doctor for antibiotics. It's often hard to get to the doctor right when you start noticing the symptoms. I can usually completely clear the infection with just cystex, and it gives relief from symptoms right away.

[I have no medical training, so take this with a grain of salt, and of course listen to your doctor]

ETA: you didn't actually ask for crackpot medical advice, so feel free to completely ignore!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

52 minutes ago, Xena said:

The other thing I've found that helps is Cystex.

I've never heard of Cystex, so thanks!  In Canada the drug is apparently sold as Urasal and needs a prescription though.

That's good to know about apple cider vinegar. Pure cranberry juice helps me the most out of non antibiotic options, but it is nasty and hard to drink.

You crackpot medical advice is always welcome. :)

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

On 11/14/2020 at 7:53 AM, Xena said:

On 11/14/2020 at 8:51 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

You crackpot medical advice is always welcome. :)

If I may also chime in? ;) D-Mannose is the sugar in cranberry juice that's meant to help prevent UTIs (and potentially shorten the length of time that symptoms hang around) - it's available at most health food shops, and doesn't taste like much apart from a mild sweetness. 

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

37 minutes ago, Defining said:

If I may also chime in? ;) D-Mannose is the sugar in cranberry juice that's meant to help prevent UTIs (and potentially shorten the length of time that symptoms hang around) - it's available at most health food shops, and doesn't taste like much apart from a mild sweetness. 

More things I didn't know about! Thanks, I'll take a trip to the store today and see if they have it.

I am frequently shocked by the basic medical facts I don't know, that directly affect me.  Another thing that I learned only this week: there is a very simple enzyme deficiency called DAO (diamine oxidase) that is the cause of my ezcema flare-ups and my mom's asthma attacks when we eat certain foods. And there is a pill you can take with meals, just like lactase for lactose intolerance, that completely fixes the issue.  Seriously?? I have been suffering all these years for no reason?? 😆

• Wow 1

― Neil Gaiman

1 hour ago, Kestrel Grey said:

there is a very simple enzyme deficiency called DAO (diamine oxidase) that is the cause of my ezcema flare-ups and my mom's asthma attacks when we eat certain foods. And there is a pill you can take with meals, just like lactase for lactose intolerance, that completely fixes the issue.  Seriously?? I have been suffering all these years for no reason?? 😆

I never knew that either.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Friday

Run: 0 (0.5/2 hrs)

Veggies: 1 (11/20)

Saturday 

Run 0 (0.5/2 hrs)

Veggies: 4 (15/20)

Sunday 

Run: 0 (0.5/2 hrs)

Veggies: 5 (20/20)

It was a push to get all the vegetables in after Friday's poor performance. Still, I made the target for the week. Yesterday I picked up some D-Mannose so hopefully that helps clear things up and week 4 will be better. 

Tracking for Week 4:

Run x 2 hours (redo from last week)

Breathe between bites x 14

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman