The Cliffs of Insanity: a Scouting adventure

Kestrel Grey

2 minutes ago, Xena said:

Did it involve more lettuce for breakfast?

Cucumber actually.  I thought I'd mix it up.

• Haha 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Week Four Summary

Run: 1 hour (target 2 hours)

Eat slowly: 9 (target 14)

The early darkness is messing with my running because I keep waiting until the afternoon.  I really need to get used to heading out first thing, even though it would be easier energy-wise to wait. For the meals I just kept forgetting. 

This week was nice. It was supposed to be the week a friend came but quarantine rules won't let her visit. So I had 7 days off with nothing to do. Since my sister's family is doing homemade gifts this year, I spent the week crafting.  Dinosaur toque for nephew done. Toy duck for niece halfway done. My sister is getting salt water taffy, if I can figure out how to make it! Two batches today and they both went in the trash. Apparently my new candy thermometer is off by 13 degrees.  I didn't think to calibrate it after the first batch was too hard because I figured I just messed up somewhere.  Ah well, next weekend I can try again. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Week 5 Report

Stuff maybe happened.  Or didn't happen.  Or can't happen if I don't want other stuff to happen.  I don't know.  I'm taking the rest of the challenge off so I can figure it out.  See you next week.

― Neil Gaiman

3 hours ago, Xena said:

oh dear. Hope everything works out well and you get some clarity. Pop back in if you feel like it would help. Otherwise, see you next week.

3 hours ago, ladymorella said:

Oh, I hope everything is ok. Good luck in sorting this out.

Thanks.  I'm not intentionally being cryptic, I just don't know enough yet to say what's going on and didn't want to leave the challenge hanging.  Tomorrow I should be able to give an update. 

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

This challenge got completely derailed, so my apologies for that.  I do have answers now and things aren't that bad.

For the next four months I cannot do any impact exercises (running, jumping) or lift anything over 10 lbs.  Bodyweight exercises are a grey zone, so I will avoid those too.  The whole training part of my challenges will go out the window until spring, but this is doable.  I basically get to hibernate and have my husband take out the trash and carry the groceries for a while.  The only ironic part is I returned home today to find my shiny new winter running shoes waiting for me. They will now sit in the closet until winter 2021.

I've just sucked one year of your life away. Tell me, how do you feel? -  Count Rugen - quickmeme

random medical backstory

Spoiler

On Monday, I went to the ophthalmologist due to some flashes of light I started seeing at night.  He told me that I have posterior vitreous detachment (not a big deal on its own) and my retinas are at risk of detaching (a very big deal).  I can't lift anything heavy* or do any jostling activities, maybe for the rest of my life, or I might end up blind.  After a bunch more tests he concluded that the danger will pass once the vitreous finishes detaching in 3-4 months.

A few thoughts on this:

- It probably says something that I was far more concerned about becoming weak and decrepid than I was about going blind.  Some of my stress was because I felt guilty being so upset by not being able to train/compete/play the way I am used to.  It felt selfish to be so distraught over lifestyle changes.

- *heavy to me meant that I should not approach my 1RM on deadlifts.  When he told me he meant I should not pick up a bag of flour, I thought he was joking.

- I feel very very blessed that I could have all these specialty tests done, immediately, and without having to worry about costs.  I know that is not the case for many people.

Edit: also no inversion, so I have a valid excuse to avoid yoga. :D 

― Neil Gaiman

Oh Kestral, I'm so sorry to hear this. I understand in the big picture, things will be ok. As you say, you are lucky that the problem was caught in time, that your husband can take over the lifting etc. But dang, this sucks! I imagine you might go through a grieving process of sorts because yeah, this is a big change to your lifestyle.

Hoping you'll want to stick around here and talk this through.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Hoping you'll want to stick around here and talk this through.

Thanks Xena. It was a little scary thinking of the worst case scenario earlier in the week, but I'm adjusting.  Hiking is still allowed and I can focus on healthy eating. Four months will go by quickly.

I don't think I'll even have to give up the ultra next September (deferred from 2020). If I hike lots of hills over the winter, then have 2 months to rehab and 3 months to train, it is possible. 

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman