I have long wanted to do a Century ironically COVID-19 might be the only thing that will allow me to accomplish that due to some health issues. The century I have wanted to do got pushed back. So I am training for it in case it isn't cancelled. I am still sort of playing with the feasibility of it. Main goal this challenge is just to keep to some sort of schedule and work on just building a base.

My goals:

Ride 20-25 miles a week in 2 rides. I want to start adding in a 3rd ride, but have been not feeling good for the last week so I'm not sure if related to heat or the extra load. I haven't been doing much, but I may not have been hydrating, eating, and/or resting properly.

PT or supplemental exercise 2x a week. I have a couple problem areas that I need PT for sometimes. With the cycling and lack of a gym schedule anymore I need to do this again. I want to focus on glute and back/lat work that will help. Then I want to look into some core work for um extra credit? I can tell I need it on the bike.

Food - I do need to lose weight. I mostly need to work on just eating consistently. The last two weekends I only ate two meals per day. I want to eat a decent meal of protein and veggies 2 x a week. That doesn't sound like much, but I actually had a hard time hitting it. I need to find the motivation to food prep again. I will probably weight the points for the to-do list for keeping the kitchen clean as that is the biggest deterrent for me for cooking meals. If I have a clean kitchen I default to cooking well. But if dirty default to trying to find the easiest thing to eat or go out.

Track water consumption. I am usually pretty good with drinking enough fluids, but lately I have been having some issues that seem like it could be dehydration. I will count tea and water the same. Goal is just to track, make sure I have water within reach, and notice if I see any difference.

5 minutes working on to-do list. This week I want to try to put together an actual list of things I need to do and awarding points to them. I have done that in previous challenges and I found it most effective as long as I put together a decent list. It helped me not get overwhelmed and I have a bad habit of out of sight out of mind on some chores.

Side Quest

Since I am working from home and trying to build up mileage on the bike I thought it would be interesting to track mileage on my bike vs car. This side quest will be on a calendar timeline thus for the month of Oct. Then Nov. I will say though I had a last minute camping trip and I have not counted that towards the running total since it was more of a vacation.

Bike 68.85 mi vs Car 96.9* mi (adjusted) I put on an additional 298 miles for the camping trip.

• Like 5

I started looking at the Century route this week. It is a vastly different route than other years. I am not familiar with the areas that are after about mile 35 or so. Part of the beginning is right along where I have been riding, which sounds good, but it's flat so it really doesn't matter. I'll probably deliberately ride the route when I can just for the mental boost. Based on my first 5k and first hike up an entire mountain potentially I might be questioning my sanity around that point (for the first time) and the familiarity will be a good way to win that mental battle.

I am a little disappointed that one hard part is going to be so far away from my house. However the steepest climb isn't too far off. Overall this route I think is going to be better aesthetically and looking at a railroad track when it gets rough isn't as easy as vegetation haha. I have been going through the route on google street view. I think I am only on mile 30 so far. I want to go through the rest of it as I have time. I'm not really ready to start climbing, but I want to mentally have an idea of what I am getting into. By bike I have much less awareness of the route then I thought I would due to the course.

I'm tempted to drive the route to see what it is like, but that would be 100+ miles on my car messing with my side quest. LOL I may wait to do it.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, ladymorella said:

I'm tempted to drive the route to see what it is like, but that would be 100+ miles on my car messing with my side quest. LOL I may wait to do it.

Hmmm drive 15 miles of it, park then bike the same distance on it?  You could get to see a little more of it, get a long training ride in, and the miles on the bike would cancel out the miles on the car.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Hmmm drive 15 miles of it, park then bike the same distance on it?  You could get to see a little more of it, get a long training ride in, and the miles on the bike would cancel out the miles on the car.

I like the way you think. That is brilliant!

• Like 1

I have been completely wiped out this week. Not really sure why. I am going to change  my bike goal to allow one  on the workouts to be just cardio. I have a rower and will allow for doing that instead at a low hr zone if needed. Supposedly we have a cold front coming through. Hopefully it will decide to stay. I am a tad worried cause I felt bad after the two long walks. But I need to just put it out of my head. One time is not a trend and I really don't know if related. Its just so pervasive. Is it possible to feel tired to the core? Cause I feel like I do. I'm going on a ride tomorrow with someone which is good.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

There is no harm in taking a week off, or at least a couple days, if you need it. Exhausted to the core can lead to getting downright ill without rest.

I like the rowing option!

Yes, I have taken this week off. With the exception of tomorrow. The hard part is that sometimes it helps if I just continue to be active. Other times it helps to take rest and I can't tell which is which. I was suppose to make an appointment with my doctor today for followup and I was so spacey that I forgot. I'll have to put a reminder on my phone for Monday.

• Like 2

I forget, and of course you don't have to answer this if you don't want to. Do you have a medical condition that contributes to the fatigue? It does sound like going to the doctor is a good idea.

Got a ride in today. Went on a ride with a family member. We ended up cruising along and he wanted to go further. We ended up at 30 miles in total. Not exactly taking it easy as I claimed I was doing yesterday. We didn't really plan on going so far it just ended up that way. It felt pretty good. I can feel my legs are tired now. Hopefully I recover ok. I am trying to make sure I drink enough. I started off well, but midday didn't have water nearby. Finished ok I think. This is the furthest I have gone in quite some time. At least 5 years maybe as much as 9 years. So kind of happy it went so well on the ride.

Side Quest

Bike 100.46 mi vs. Car 128.4 mi (adjusted)

2 hours ago, Xena said:

I forget, and of course you don't have to answer this if you don't want to. Do you have a medical condition that contributes to the fatigue? It does sound like going to the doctor is a good idea.

I have a diagnoses of lyme disease from a naturopath. My symptoms don't match a traditional medicine diagnoses of it and traditional medicine says you recover in like 6 weeks or something like that. I did just get a blood test that came back I am low on vitamin D which can cause a little bit of issue with it. So I started supplements. But I do have fatigue. brain fog, and headaches fairly regularly it seems regardless of what I do. I was actually really good until work got super stressful in 2018. Then with all the was going on it was hard to tell what was just stress. So I'm hoping to get back to where I was then. I could kick myself for letting it all get to me, but it is what is it is. I can only change now.

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Huzzah! A biking challenge! I might have missed it, when is the century?

giphy.gif

Mid April actually. I have not done a century before. And when I look for training planing nothings starts this far out. My previous furthest distance was 33 miles. Have you done centuries?

• Like 2
16 hours ago, ladymorella said:

I could kick myself for letting it all get to me, but it is what is it is. I can only change now.

I think you've been doing a great job the past few months. The ride sounded cool!

• Like 1

I was REALLY worried how I would feel today. I felt sooo weary all week and was half tempted to skip this weekend entirely, but had already said I would meet up to ride. I was really worried how I would feel after 30 miles when my previous longest ride on the last 5 years was something like 15 miles. I feel really good. No real muscle soreness. The only little soreness is a pressure points on the bike my finger tips on a few  fingers. I'm not sure how I did that. I assume from braking somehow. Energy wise I feel fine. Like just slightly fatigued as if I didn't quite get enough sleep or something way less than I have felt for at least two weeks. This is why I struggle so much with trying to figure out when I need to rest and when I just need to workout anyway. I think being outside was super helpful at least mentally. My other rides in the last two months are mostly or entirely in the dark due to temperatures.

Sunday

Ride: 0/2 - Rest day

PT 2x a week: 0/2 - I may do this in a little bit. I will edit if so. Probably going to start super easy of like glute bridges and negative sitting press. Inevitably I will do more than that.

Food: 1/2 - I decided to be productive for my lunch break today. Cooked up some ground turkey and had some salad.

Track water consumption: 1/7 will hit 3 liters by the end of the night. Did a good job or recording right away.

5 minutes working on to-do list: 1/7 At lunch I cleaned up the kitchen. That is going to be a priority to try to keep me cooking good meals. I cook almost automatically in a clean kitchen, but when messy I just want to figure out the snack I can most justify as a meal. Which isn't good. After work the weather was amazing and I got some yard work done.

6 hours ago, Xena said:

I think you've been doing a great job the past few months. The ride sounded cool!

It was great. The weather was perfect. It has been so hot here. It was only about 80 when we finished. I think it was such a huge mental boost for me too. I was getting discouraged last week. So to knock out 30 was just great even if it was flat. Plus bonus I got to drop a sassy teen who has been telling me for 2 months how great his skills was and how slow I was mountain biking. Bwhahaha (For anyone worried about the teen in my care I only dropped him enough for him to know he couldn't beat me.)

22 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’ve done a few. They’re fun. When I did my first one my previous longest ride was probably 40 or 50 miles, but I was young and dumb.

I think working on a base now is a great idea.

Oh man doubled your best dang. I bet that was rough. I've only ever really done 30s at the long side. Which I heard it said and seems true to me anyone who is decently healthy can do 30 miles its all just about whether you can sit on a saddle that long.

• Like 3

I have started planning out a section of the route that is the first climb. The first is more gradual then I thought, but I suppose I should wait until I actually give it a go. I may not do it until mid-November. Also today I was all excited to get out for a ride after work, but it is really chilly and I started to feel that fatigue again. Going to try to wake up early and get a ride in before work tomorrow if I can go to sleep ok. I had a lot of trouble falling asleep again. And I forgot to make that Dr. appointment.

Monday

Ride: 0/2 - None

PT 2x a week: 0/2 -

Food: 2/2 - Had left overs for lunch plus beets and had cabbage at dinner, but no meat so no credit for dinner.

Track water consumption: 2/7 tracked water today

5 minutes working on to-do list: 2/7 got a little bit done.

• Like 2

I woke up early this morning for a ride. Let the dog out and weather seemed good. Put on long sleeve shirt and full finger gloves and hit the road. I rode slowly to warm up, but my left knee just wouldn't warm up. So I took it kind of easy the whole trip. I grabbed a neck gaiter last minute in case there was a ton of people on the multipath section. I ended up using it the whole time just to keep my ears warm.

I got home an realized it was 38°. I was very cold when I got home and after a warm shower and that seems to have been a bad idea. My skin reacted very angrily. I'm not really sure what that was about, but I'm guessing to different too quickly. After the shower I was still freezing. I am going to have to figure out how to deal with the cold in case it is a cold winter. We haven't had one in quite some time and I've not really cycled in anything below 50 probably. I forgot how different it is from running in cold. I hope I haven't stressed my system too much. It was hot not that long ago.

cr-cold.gif.a19422215ef084be2c011f600d2e3de9.gif

Tuesday

Ride: 1/2 - 14.76

PT 2x a week: 0/2 -Not a good start is it?

Food: 3/2 - Had left overs for lunch plus beets

Track water consumption: 3/7 tracked water today

5 minutes working on to-do list: I didn't do this and I am not going to force it today.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Getting warmed up again is hard! Baths seem to work better than showers. Do you have enough warm and windproof gear for the winter?

Good job getting out there for a ride even with the cold.

I wasn't aware I was that cold. I had wanted to take a bath, but didn't have the time.

Most of my cold weather doesn't fit me. I gained a bit of weight in 2018 and haven't gotten rid of it yet. Our winter's haven't been that cold over the past few years so I hadn't even considered the need for cold gear. I will get some non-cotton long sleeve shirts for sure and pants. But it is suppose to be a high of 85 by the end of the week again so I should have time before it is cold again.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RouleurBaby said:

w00t another cyclist! Just jumping on your bike and doing 30 miles isn't as easy as it sounds well done! Fantastic set of goals too, our challenges will look very similar!

Yeah, I was thinking the same about how similar yours was to mine. lol.

So I realized I forgot to update my side quest. I'm sure you all were just DYING to know what the score was. Haha, jk. Tonight I didn't forget it though. It is helping to prevent apathy of Covid-19 social distancing. It seems like others aren't really doing that any more. I ask myself do I really want to let the car miles win? Do I have my list together so I won't forget anything and have to come back out? It has been basically a tied a couple times after I rode and before doing errands for the week.

Wednesday

Ride: 1/2 - Rest day

PT 2x a week: 0/2 - The start is looking worse. 😞

Food: 4/2 - Cooked up meat and had some cabbage again. Why is cutting up some cabbage and cooking it up not a thing? It's delicious.

Track water consumption: 4/7 tracked water today

5 minutes working on to-do list: I barely eeked out 5 min. But I finally remembered to call the doctor.

Side Quest

Bike 115.22 mi vs. Car 129.9 mi (adjusted)

• Like 4
13 hours ago, RouleurBaby said:

Your side quest is amazing! It's made me work out that I commute 71 miles per week. A shopping trip is an extra 4.4m. More bike miles than car miles is perfectly doable in a standard week, if I get my act together.

Nice. Try it! 😊

13 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Alright, stop immediately and do your PT this minute! 😋 You are doing great on everything though, good work keeping those car miles down.

Yes, ma'am

1 hour ago, Xena said:

I love the side quest.

And KG is right...do your PT!

Yes, ma'am

So when I got off work I was starving. So I ate dinner then did my PT. I couldn't stand the shame of showing my face here without doing so. So thank you!

I think I need to dial in my eating. I have been trying to track and I am seeing inconsistency of like few calories in the morning and then more at night other days more spread across the day. I think this could be some of my weariness. Add to that not sleeping well and just regular fatigue stuff and it is difficult. I had a plan that was working beautifully for me, but then it was suggested I go keto for health reasons.

Keto didn't help me. I have issues with eating anyway and that put me back in an emotional place about not wanting to eat food cause I didn't feel well on it. As soon as I finished the test phase I was back into bad habits of putting off eating as long as possible and not really planning out meals. I keep trying to go back to the plan before keto, but I am having trouble with the motivation. The calories were dispersed well over the day though. 

Thurssday

Ride: 1/2 - Been tired and don't want to push it.

PT 2x a week: 1/2 - Thanks to Kestrel and Xena I got this done. 3 sets of 20 glute bridges, 3 sets of 20 ish 4-way hip exercises, and 2 sets of 5 15lb negative seated press. (is it still called a press if a negative?). I was having trouble controlling the press as in it felt like everything wasn't engaging right? Idk it was odd I might jump down to #10s and do more reps to have better engagement. It might just be my body needs a refresher and not really about strength at all.

Food: 4/2 - No change here. I was starving quite suddenly by lunch and grabbed fast food. And had a frozen specialty pizza for dinner. "Keto"? Glluten free? I forget which.

Track water consumption: 5/7 sitting at 3.25 liters right now. I should get to maybe 3.5 or more.

5 minutes working on to-do list: 3/7 - I forgot about this and literally started a timer so I can say I did it. But at least its something. I never assembled much of a list which is a bit of a problem. I need to work on assembling it.

Side Quest

Bike 115.22 mi vs. Car 132 mi (adjusted) Oh if I wasn't so tired I could have beat the car. It looks unlikely to happen now. Originally I didn't think it was possible, but as time went on  I realized there was a real chance of beating it. So I guess it's ok that I even came this close. I wasn't sure what my car mileage would be. I was looking at numbers and I did 42 miles one day. If I merely didn't forget my mask and planned my route better bike would be ahead!

• Like 3

Friday

Ride: 1/2 - Skipped again as I was a bit worried about the tiredness.

PT 2x a week: 1/2 - The beginning always sucks as your body isn't doing the movements well so it feels mostly frustrating.

Food: 4/2 - I just had soups all day.

Track water consumption: 6/7 2.5L

5 minutes working on to-do list: 5/7 - Didn't do a lot. I'm a tad disappointed in my lack of progress on this.

Side Quest

Bike 115.22 mi vs. Car 132 mi (adjusted) No change

Saturday

Ride: 2/2  - Subbed a hike for the ride since I had about 15 miles in the one ride. Under the circumstances it is ok.

PT 2x a week: 2/2 - I didn't want to start off by failing such an easy goal. Especially one that can prevent injury or pain. So I did the minimum I set for myself at the onset.

Food: 4/2 - I can't recall what I ate yesterday at all, but I don't think I had meat so I didn't do this.

Track water consumption: 7/7   - 4.25L

5 minutes working on to-do list: 6/7 - Didn't do a lot. I'm a tad disappointed in my lack of progress on this.

Oct Side Quest

So it was the final day I drove out to the trail and home for:

Bike 115.22 mi vs. Car 157.7 mi (adjusted) I thought it was interesting to see how this shaped up. With some better planning I could have possibly tied this. I did find myself competitive and not want to allow the car to win so I had to put a stop to that to build the bike more systematically rather than going too hard and then maybe regretting it.

After I took down the miles I then . . . drove the entire century hahahaha for a "true" Oct adjusted (not counting the 298 mile camping trip) of 115.22 miles on the bike and 260 miles on the car. When I saw Oct ended on the weekend I decided to do this so I could see what the mileage would be, but able to drive the route.

I have to say I was a bit afraid to drive the route as I really want to do this and didn't want anything to psych me out. However I actually found that it gave me a lot of confidence in a good plan. There are about three hilly parts. One towards the beginning I think it is, one fairly minor in the middle, and one towards the end maybe in the 80's? Looking at the elevation the first one was the most steep and the last was a long incline. I can literally train on the first climb all the time. It is probably closer than my other options. The third one is way far from my house, but I think I know of a couple places to get a similar ride. So I feel really happy coming away from this. I was afraid of crazy steep hills, but there is only one I am a bit weary of, but only right now. It is similar to hills on a route I use to do I think and it just before the main first climb. But for now I will avoid it. I did find a couple good spots to park to have a good rolling hill route. So I came away with a good game plan I think. One thing that I think my coaches at the gym helped me with a lot. Learning how to look at a physical feat and figuring out a plan of attack based on where I am and how to break it down.

• Like 2