Building a base

ladymorella

Good call scoping out the route, and developing a plan of attack.

For the to do list 6/7 is decent, what is it that you are disappointed by?

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

On 11/2/2020 at 8:07 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

Good call scoping out the route, and developing a plan of attack.

For the to do list 6/7 is decent, what is it that you are disappointed by?

The spirit of the goal is to do more than 5 minutes. With the idea being the first 5 minutes are the hardest. So although getting the 5 minutes done. I'm not really getting much accomplished.

Sunday

Ride: 0/2  - None

PT 2x a week: 0/2 - None

Food: 0/2 - Not really feeling the meat right now.

Track water consumption: 1/7  - 2.75L

5 minutes working on to-do list: 1/7 - Got the minimum in again

Monday

Ride: 0/2  - None, I'm still taking it really easy right now. I have a thing next week and I need to make sure I don't over do anything and trigger extra tiredness.

PT 2x a week: 0/2 - None yet. I might in a few minutes. I will edit if so.

Food: 0/2  - None. I really don't feel like eating. Bleh

Track water consumption: 2/7   - 3.5L

5 minutes working on to-do list: 2/7 - I got a little bit down today.

Nov. Side Quest

Bike 0 mi vs. Car  10.4 mi 

The car pulls ahead with an early lead. The store I thought was right down the street was at a different area than I thought it was. Their machine was down and I couldn't buy what I went there for any  way. Sigh

• Like 2

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

Week to date

Ride: 1/2  - Got in a ride just under 11 miles. It was good to get back out again.

PT 2x a week: 2/2 - I actually did do the PT after my post on Monday and again yesterday. Going back to the super simple just glute bridges if necessary.

Food: 1/2  - Had a salad for dinner last night. Really not feeling the meat lately. Not sure why.

Track water consumption: 4/7   - 3.5L

5 minutes working on to-do list: 4/7

Nov. Side Quest

Bike 10.98 mi vs. Car  18.2 mi 

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - -

You're getting better at remembering your pt, good work!

• Like 2

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

5 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

You're getting better at remembering your pt, good work!

Yeah, I think it was a matter of changing expectations. I really need to do more, but baby steps is better than none.

Thursday

Ride: 1/2  - None.

PT 2x a week: 2/2 - Work went late, then had an appointment.

Food: 1/2  - I had to order food due to today's schedule. I had last minute changes so didn't have any chance to plan anything out food wise.

Track water consumption: 5/7   - 2.75

5 minutes working on to-do list: 5/7

Nov. Side Quest

Bike 10.98 mi vs. Car  44.8 mi 

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - -

2 hours ago, Xena said:

It was super cool that your drove the course and took it as a positive experience. I'm excited for you to train for the century!

I was worried about it as it felt like a gamble on how I would handle it. But decided that freaking out about it now was probably better to figure out a plan.

-----------------------------------

I officially signed up. I don't know why I didn't before. Maybe I liked the fantasy of it more than the reality? Maybe cause I have wanted this so long I am scared to hope for it. I did go out for a ride today. I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night so go a later start. And thought I had to be back for a meeting. I ended up with 22 miles. I had a little wind today. I haven't actually had that for any rides yet remarkably. I forgot how big of a difference that can make. I thought about doing part of the route today, but it would have included a hill that I am sort of scared of right now. I don't think I can climb well enough for that yet.

Friday

Ride: 2/2  - Got 22 miles in. Ave mph wasn't too bad for as slow as it felt.

PT 2x a week: 2/2 - I might do this in a bit. I do feel the need for it today on the bike. So I need to get on this.

Food: 2/2  - Dinner I had a Poke bowl. I will count it for this. Seaweed salad = veggies and protein.

Track water consumption: 6/7   - 3.75

5 minutes working on to-do list: 6/7 - I got quite a bit done today I feel like. I need to do as well tomorrow. I was really fatigued today so I was happy for what I could get done.

Nov. Side Quest

Bike 33.37 mi vs. Car  51.2 mi

• That's Metal 1

- - - - - - - - - -

Congrats on taking the plunge and officially committing to the race!

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

5 minutes ago, RouleurBaby said:

Going great! Come on bike catch up!!

I know right! I have more errands to do, but will not be able to put any miles on my car for most of next next week due to a work thing. So chances are good that it can catch up. I want to add 10% per week right now on the long ride so if I can hit that it will look good for the bike.

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - -

Sat

Ride: 2/2  

PT 2x a week: 2/2 

Food: 3/2 

Track water consumption: 7/7   - 3L

5 minutes working on to-do list: 7/7 ✔ - I got a ton done on Saturday. My house it pretty clean. Pretty happy with it. I still have a lot of organization and projects to do. But it was nice to get so much done. 

Sunday

Ride: 1/2  - 13.95 mi. Got a ride in. 

PT 2x a week: 0/2

Food: 0/2 

Track water consumption: 1/7  - 3L

5 minutes working on to-do list: 0/7  

Nov. Side Quest

Bike 47.32 mi vs. Car  ? (61.2ish) mi - My car is away from me right now and I forgot to check the mileage. So this will be a bit of a mystery. I think I did an additional 10 miles or so on it. 

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - -

6 hours ago, Xena said:

Great job on Saturday 🙂

image.png

Haha, I love it!

Monday

Ride: 1/2  - None

Food: 1/2 - Chicken and broccoli for dinner

Track water consumption: 2/7  - 3L

5 minutes working on to-do list: 0/7  - I don't know I can do much on this most of the week. So not going to sweat it. 

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - -

On 11/12/2020 at 2:48 PM, Xena said:

Excellent strategy. The goals are only useful when they actually work within your life.

Exactly. You can only do what you can. Last week was just going to be different and not worth the stress or giving up sleep to get them done.

Last Week

Ride: 2/2  ✔ - Got in about 26.66 which was good considering the week. I sort of miscalculated my week or I might have tried to do that a little different oh well. It is fine still.

PT 2x a week: 0/2 - I spaced it with everything else going on.

Food: 3/2 

Track water consumption: 6/7   - Forgot to track Wednesday and a couple days. I'm not entirely sure I added everything, but close enough to know I got at least 2 L the whole week.

5 minutes working on to-do list: 2/7  - This is excused this week do to a work project taking up a lot of extra hours.

Sunday

Ride: 1/2  - 15.33 mi. Got a ride in. 

Food: 0/2 - None so far, but I haven't had dinner yet. Half tempted to skip dinner or just have a small snack instead.

Track water consumption: 1/7  - 2L

5 minutes working on to-do list: 1/7  -  Got a bit done today

Today I went and got a new saddle for my bike as I know I need a couple upgrades on my bike as the saddle and shoes are  not ideal. I took it on a ride and I hate it. It is worse than my last saddle. I am a bit upset at myself for buying it. Part of it was better as it was wide enough for me, but the nose has too much pressure. I don't think I can take it back either. I was hoping to go on a longer ride, but couldn't. Which was ok as I got too late of a start today.

Nov. Side Quest

Finally I can get the numbers from my car. Turns out the car was actually 64.4 when we last left off. I got a ride in today and had to do some errands.

Bike 75.36 mi vs. Car  71.5 mi - So for the first time at the end of the day the bike is winning. It is a shame I spent so much time to buy the wrong saddle or I could have increased this lead as I was planing on getting another 5-10 miles in today.

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - -

Congrats on the bike getting a lead! It would be exciting to be able to hold it.

― Neil Gaiman

6 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Congrats on the bike getting a lead! It would be exciting to be able to hold it.

I was really hoping to get 20-25 miles in that would have allowed it to pull ahead I think. It might be exciting from here with the back and forth of who has the lead.

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - -

18 hours ago, ladymorella said:

Today I went and got a new saddle for my bike as I know I need a couple upgrades on my bike as the saddle and shoes are  not ideal. I took it on a ride and I hate it. It is worse than my last saddle. I am a bit upset at myself for buying it. Part of it was better as it was wide enough for me, but the nose has too much pressure. I don't think I can take it back either. I was hoping to go on a longer ride, but couldn't. Which was ok as I got too late of a start today.

Is there any chance you might like it better after a couple of rides? I don't know much about biking, but I know people talk about having to get accustomed to time in the saddle in general. Maybe with some time the different shape won't seem as bad. Though it don't know, I can imagine that pressure not being too good...

18 hours ago, ladymorella said:

Nov. Side Quest

Finally I can get the numbers from my car. Turns out the car was actually 64.4 when we last left off. I got a ride in today and had to do some errands.

Bike 75.36 mi vs. Car  71.5 mi - So for the first time at the end of the day the bike is winning.

YAY!!!

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 11/16/2020 at 3:09 PM, Xena said:

Is there any chance you might like it better after a couple of rides? I don't know much about biking, but I know people talk about having to get accustomed to time in the saddle in general. Maybe with some time the different shape won't seem as bad. Though it don't know, I can imagine that pressure not being too good...

Yes, there is. It's sort of like running shoes. Some things you know right away others you have to get use to and then see. That saddle sort of demotivated me from riding. I was thinking about it though and I have been wearing bike shorts with regular shorts on top. I was sliding around a bit on that ride. I did another ride without the over shorts and it is much better. I might just need to tip the nose down just slightly. However I got through 30 miles on it. So it might be ok. However I will have to wear the bike shorts only so I'm a little bummed about that. I possibly could find other pairs that won't be slippery, but it doesn't seem worth it.

-------------------------

Last Week

Ride: 2/2  ✔ - Got in two rides. I got 45 miles in between the two. I was hoping to get in three this week, but I felt best to take it easy. I had a few late nights at work that made going after work not possible.

PT 2x a week: 1/2 - This slipped my mind. I haven't noticed as much issues so I forget about it. But I know I need it for preventative. I think I need to be better about scheduling it. 

Food: 3/2 ✔ Got this in. Maybe even more times.

Track water consumption:    - I have sort of dropped tracking this outside my head. I have been good at keeping water near at all times.

5 minutes working on to-do list: ?  - I didn't really track this. I was a bit short on time this week so I didn't sweat it.

Nov. Side Quest

Bike 105.51 mi vs. Car  87.0 mi - Results as of Saturday night. The bike has spent about 7 days ahead of the car.

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - -

13 minutes ago, Xena said:

There's sort of a pun in here, or play on words or something 🙂

Haha, yes. I guess there is. I didn't mean for that, but sometimes you get more than you bargained for.

----------

Have some time off this week. I decided I want to try to get some time in outside. Went for a bike ride yesterday, but had to transport my mountain bike out to the trail. This allowed the car to surpass the bike in my side quest, but the ride was good. I was hoping to hike a couple times, but I am afraid of overdoing it. I haven't had that much energy recently so I am afraid to plan that much. Such a shame, but I want to make sure to get in two more rides and I want to get some house cleaning and projects done. Which is still a huge amount of energy expenditure expected vs. what I have had.

I have been feeling better in the last couple weeks though. We found I was low on vitamin D so my doctor has me on amount that seems like an awful lot, but only for a couple months. Also I started another treatment. I hate starting two things at once cause then you don't know what made you better, but also I would rather feel better. That said just the cooler temps can make me feel better. So I try to enjoy being better, but this has happened the last 2-3 years in a row. I feel better this time of the year then go back my norm come March. So I kind of know better than to expect more than that.

Week so far

Ride: 2/2  - Got in two rides so far. I got 16 miles in between the two.

PT 2x a week: 0/2 -

Food: 1/2 Finally had a chance to go to the store and buy greens again. 

Track water consumption:    - I have sort of dropped tracking this outside my head. I have been good at keeping water near at all times.

5 minutes working on to-do list: 3/7  - Got a bit done. Actually was working on things I needed to do most of the day.

Nov. Side Quest

Bike 121.59 mi vs. Car  120.2 mi - Car surpassed the bike yesterday. I had some errands to do today and tomorrow. I decided to do part of them by bike. This allowed the bike to get back ahead. But just barely. I plan to  ride again tomorrow. Car might get ahead again though. I think the bike has a chance of winning unless I over do it this week. Or decide to go hiking.

image.png.72b6f94a06234e84283f67dcb788b936.png

• Like 3

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm really rooting for the bike to win! That said, hiking is a good thing.

If you have to make up a vitamin D deficit, it takes a ton more than your normal daily recommended amount, so don't be alarmed by the handful of pills your doctor recommends.

• Like 3

― Neil Gaiman

I think this week reminded me of the importance of keeping track of past rides. On Monday I went to a spot that I orginally started riding on the trail. I was looking around at old routes last night for some reason and realized that other than when I got a little lost trying to find a new route, the parts on the normal route were about 2 mph faster. I'm a bit surprized it was that drastic. Seeing I was just out to ride and wasn't pushing it at all. 

Today also I was reminded. I went for an easy ride and was surprized to come back and see the avg. mph was above 13.0. I think I have completed the building a base phase and ready to start adding in some climbs. I have a long ride with some climbs figured out. But a short ride with climbs I will have to figure out. It will most likely mean that if I continue the side quest in Dec. that the car will be more likely to win as I will need to drive my bike to the route. But side quests are side quests for a reason. And I will need to focus on my main quest. There is time to go back to the side quest later if remote work continues. This makes me all the more eager to make sure that the bike wins the November one.

Wednesday

Ride: 3/2  - Got another ride in.  13.81 mi This was my planned second ride. Just an easy 1 hour ride. 

PT 2x a week: 0/2 - Still no.

Food: 4/2 - Had complient meals for both lunch and dinner. 

Track water consumption:    - I have sort of dropped tracking this outside my head. I have been good at keeping water near at all times.

5 minutes working on to-do list: 4/7  - Other than my bike ride I have spent almost all day on this. Deep clean on the fridge. I just have one more shelf to clean. And I got a few other things done as well.

November Side Quest

Bike 135.81 mi vs. Car  126.1 mi - Added miles on both the car and bike ride today, but the bike is back ahead!

image.png.1651f78dbb42e382d76397f7729a49c3.png

20 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I'm really rooting for the bike to win! That said, hiking is a good thing.

If you have to make up a vitamin D deficit, it takes a ton more than your normal daily recommended amount, so don't be alarmed by the handful of pills your doctor recommends.

That is good to know. I trust my doctor. It was just a lot. I actually went to a liquid as it was easier to take that much rather than a small handfull of pills. haha. 

• Like 3

- - - - - - - - - -

So yesterday I decided to tackle part of the first hilly section of the route. I had a ride out to the area so I had about a 7 mile warm up which is more than sufficient. I got to the first hill that is kinda of steep, but not very long. I did ok on the first half, but then started to struggle. In the last little bit I actually triggered my astma. It wasn't too bad. I got over the crest and continued on, but I started coughing and I was having issues controlling it. I had to stop for a bit to get it under controll. The next section was pretty flatt so I decided to go for a bit to see if it would be ok and it seemed to be. So each little hill had me a little scared as it is now easier to trigger. However I did pretty good. Went out to just shy of the planned turn around point. On the way back there was one more hill that was a little big. I went up as much as I could, but bailed and walked the last bit. It was more important to not make things worse. 

Overall I did pretty well other than that first hill. In the end I managed exactly a 12.0 avg mph with stopping, going slow to make sure I could continue on, and with walking up that one hill. So I feel that was a pretty big win. 12.0 mph is what the cut off time is based on. There is an extra 30 minutes, I believe, from the 12.0 mph time for the century.  I had debated skipping that hill, I guess I should have. LOL. So the next time or two I will skip that hill again until I get a little more hill experience. I need to see about getting some medication again. I had stopped filling my prescription cause it is so pricey and I never need it anymore. I can't trigger asthma anymore with running. So I guess only cycling and rowing. I usually just hold back slightly on the rowing. I don't know how to do that yet on cycling I guess. I had no clue I had pushed it that hard. 

I looked it up when I got home. Things to do to calm asthma when you don't have meds. Interestingly there is a Buteyko method which is to "breathe slowly and calmly through your nose instead of your mouth. If you use this technique, the air in your body will stay warm and moist. This helps your airways become less sensitive when you breathe." I had found that cupping my hands in front of my mouth or using my shirt to cover my mouth seemed to prevent me from coughing. I had suspected it was due to the warm moist air. Thank goodness for covid. I had my mask and pulled it up and it helped me calm it down while still riding. 

Week Wrap up

Ride: 4/2  - Got another ride in. 32.40 mi This was my planned long ride. 

PT 2x a week: 2/2  ✔- Got two in, but I can't remember if they were the same day haha.  I think they were on different days though. 

Food: 7/2 - Had veggies and meat on hand so I did pretty well this week. 

Track water consumption:    - I have sort of dropped tracking this outside my head. I have been good at keeping water near at all times.

5 minutes working on to-do list: 6/6  ✔ - I have adjusted the goal this week as Thanksgiving isn't the time to get things done really.  I did well otherwise

November Side Quest

Bike 167.8 mi vs. Car  129.6 mi - Bike surged ahead with the big ride. I do still have a few errands in the next couple days. I think the bike will win though. I hope to put another 10 on the bike tomorrow. I can't imagine the errands will exceed 30 miles.  

image.png.bdd851ff2e7f7c4eb814d913729ab3e4.png

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - -

Well done, on both the ride and on the challenge!

I get occasional exercise-induced asthma too. It's a pain because it happens so rarely, that I forget my inhaler when it does happen.  Strong black coffee is supposed to help too.

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman