Qeidren - Starting over in the Outback

6 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I haven't  had goulash in forever. Do you have a recipe you're willing to share?

I don't have a recipe as such. But there is a method to the madness, if that helps.

This goulash will serve 6-8 people, and it comes down heavy on the calories, particularly carbs, but you can easily omit the pasta in the warmer months and tone down the amount of potatoes you use. Most of your time is gonna be spent on prep, but not as much as some other dishes, the actual cooking time is fairly light.

Marinade:

1. Hungarian sweet paprika. 2+ tbsp. If you can't get actual hungarian, hungarian-style is just as good, or even whatever you can lay your hands on. Whatever you get, sweet paprika is non-negotiable, without it, your goulash isn't goulash, it's just a stew. Two tablespoons is a good starting point, but it's hard to go overboard with this.
  2. Garlic 1 tbsp (about 5 individual cloves crushed/chopped).
  3. Sumac 1/2 tsp. A subtle, almost flowery flavour whose umami brings out the flavour of red meats.
  4. Worcestershire sauce 2 tsp
  5. Smoked paprika 1 pinch. This is one paprika you don't want to overdo it with, a little goes a long way. The flavour always reminds me of hotdogs, if that's not your thing, leave it out.
  6. Cinnamon. 1 pinch, less is best, you don't actually want the cinnamon to stand out too much in the dish, it's just there to add complexity.
  7. Salt 1/4 teaspoon.

Depending on what I feel like, here's where I add different flavours. Turmeric, cardamom, and coriander, for a little more of an indian theme, sage and marjoram for something a little more european, you can also add a half cup of guinness to enhance the beefiness. Goulash is a heavily regional dish, as long as its got paprika and finished with sour cream you can go do it your way. That's not traditional, but this is a dish that everyone does differently.

Mix your dry spices together in a large bowl, add in your wet ingredients and finish off with enough olive oil that coating your meat isn't going to be a chore. If you're using guinness, you can skip the oil.

Toss in your meat 750g (about 26 oz) and cover in the marinade. Then cover and store in the fridge overnight. If you've got a vacuum sealer like a food saver use that. It will get you more tender meat with richer flavours. Either way, you're done for a minimum of 6 hours.

Ingredients:

1Lb penne pasta (dry)

1 cup beef stock

1 tin campbell's tomato soup

1/4 cup cornflour

Sour cream

Butter 50g (1 3/4 oz)

roughly chop each of the following:

1. Onions, 1 1/2 I always use red because they are so versatile, but pick whichever is your favourite
  2. Celery 4-5 stalks
  3. Capsicum (bell peppers) 1 large. Red or yellow is preferrable, but I always use green just because they're cheaper.
  4. Potatoes 3-4 (about a pound's worth.) If you've gotten washed spuds, leave the skins on, they're good for you. Dice them into bite-sized chunks.
  5. Mushrooms 3-4. Portabella/portobello over field mushrooms, they have actual flavour.

Cooking:

1. Get a pot large enough to boil your pasta and fill it with water. Drop in your spuds. Let them boil for about 5 minutes then drain and set them aside.
  2. Preheat your oven to 160°C (320°F)
  3. Set your large burner to a high heat, and in a large, oven safe pot, toss in another couple tablespoons of paprika and another tbsp of garlic, melt your butter, then throw in the mushrooms, your pot should dry out pretty quickly, once it is, throw in your veggies. As they're getting nice and warm, pour some of the marinade out of your meat bowl/bag, stir that for a good 3-5 minutes, taking care not to burn anything.
  4. Pour your veggies into an empty bowl and return your pot to the heat, let it warm up a ways, toss your meat in and keep it moving, you want the diced beef to seal without necessarily cooking all the way through, then pour in the stock to de-glaze the pan, once it's hissing and fizzing away add your potatoes and veggies back in and pour in the tomato soup. Stir this until it starts to bubble, then transfer to the oven.
  5. Put your spud pot back on the stove, boil up enough water to cover your penne. Once you throw in the pasta, mix your cornflour with enough water to make a thick-ish slurry and pour it into your goulash. Stir it in and back into the oven.
  6. Take out your pasta, drain, retrieve the goulash from the oven. You are done. Serve with penne and sour cream. Garnish with fresh spring onions, parsley, chives, or whatever you like.

Depending on your preferences you can mix in the pasta before serving or let everybody add their own. Keep the sour cream separate and this will keep for in your freezer for weeks, the cornflour will also help the stew retain its moisture and flavours after freezing.

As for calories, last night's effort was about 700 calories per serve and that was sans spuds, guinness, and sour cream, so if you're a big eater like me, this can top out at over 1,000 easy. It is however, plenty filling and deliciously rich.

• Thanks 1

Connor "Qeidren" Murphy, Aspiring Sky Pirate

St: (4) Pe: (7) En: (4) Ch: (3) In: (7) Ag: (5) Lu: (3)

Bonus Points: 53(53)

Day 24:

Well. This sucks. Some days, no matter how well-prepared and practised you are, you can only roll 1's... and today has been one of those days. Gonna forgo the categories for this one and just hit y'all with an update before I head to bed, but here goes.

Got a bad case of the sleeps this morning. Kept rolling over and hitting the snooze button in my sleep. It happens from time to time. Probably got something to do with me not getting a normal quantity of deep sleep (at least, according to my watch I don't). Anyway, about once a month, I just can't wake up, or I'm a zombie the entire day (I told you coming off of night shifts was no fun).

So I finally wake up well after midday, and I'm running on about 30% power, but I still managed to get my yoga in, and spend some time playing with Liliana, and then it's off to yoga. Or so I thought...

I always like to leave myself plenty of time travelling, in case of delays. Planned to arrive 90 minutes early, grab some more water and a small snack, nothing too big, I was just a bit behind on my water and my food intake, only the train stops, in the middle of nowhere. Half hour goes by and the guard informs everyone that all the communication lines are down, bar the two way there's no way for the trains to talk with central, and central has the train guards walking the line, looking for the problem. The stretch of line we're talking about is about 5Ks long, so it was another hour before the traffic jam we'd all come to a grinding halt in started moving.

Had things been on time I would have been two hours early. By the time my train started crawling along I was already running late, by the time the train inched its way into the penultimate stop before my destination I was looking at being a half hour behind. I called it a loss and decided to head straight home, because trackwork was supposed to start at 8:30...

Oh 8:30 you said?

Wrong. 7:30 just for tonight.

So I get off the train at 20 to eight and head immediately for the replacement bus. Which will take over an hour to get back home. Only it stops, one stop shy of my destination, on the other side of town.

So at this point I'm doing the mental math, wanting to get home quickly, but knowing that taxis will be hella expensive (and oh yeah, I juuuust missed the last bus service back to my side of town, that's it, in front of this hells-damned barge of depression. So I decide to walk to the supermarket, grab a bread roll and some water and just walk. At least I can get my steps and water in. I figure I'll just pay an extra 20-bucks and take an online class this week...

Only I'm working days, and all the classes for the rest of the week start before I finish. Well before in fact.

So, now I need to decide how to make up this class in a way that is fair to me, and to the spirit of my challenge. I also need to make sure that this can never happen again. Acts of god aside, if I had've put the effort in to getting my license and a car at any point in the last eight years it never would've happened. If I'd gone to a sunday or a monday class, then even if this had happened on that day instead I would've had the breathing room to make it up. I'm not gonna beat myself up over past inactions and things I can't change, but that's not the same thing as giving myself a free pass either. Actions, and inactions, have consequences. Typing into your phone whilst traipsing 4Ks home at 9pm on a weeknight is just one of them.

• Sad 1

Day 25:

Actions have consequences. Like only getting 2 1/2 hours sleep because I was (among other things) walking until after 10pm. Or being that bone tired that I fell into bed last night one glass shy of my water target for the day. Still, I'm doing okay here.

Diet:

Leafy greens target for the week has been met.

Recipes:

reheated a serve of frozen goulash for lunch yesterday and it really hit the spot.

Yoga:

I skipped this yesterday on purpose. Sleep was proving elusive and I needed as much time asleep as possible so I woke up at the last possible minute and headed into work.

Bonus:

Steps: 3/7

Water: 2/7

Didn't have any water with my dinner and fell into bed straight after, kinda bummed about that.

Yoga: 2/5

In other news I have some time off, at least for today. Details later in the day 26 update.

• Like 1

Day 26:

So how was your day?

I woke up this morning feeling like crap. Not bad enough to stay home, not normally at least. But given the current situation I decided to check my symptoms, first online, then calling the advice line. So I was advised to isolate and then get tested ASAP. The odds of my actually having covid are phenomenally low, and honestly I did not even want to stay home, but the price of being wrong is potentially high. The worst part was trying to get tested. The closest clinic was a study in doublespeak, a private pathology clinic which would only perform covid testing with a GP referral, a referral I could not get from my GP as someone in need of testing. So I had to wait on hold for the hospital clinic, after the better part of an hour I get an appointment, and given the current state of my health I am advised to avoid public transport.

So here I go. Traipsing across town in 33 degree heat wearing a face mask. I get there, and the clinic is not only not busy, I am the only person there. I turn up, am shown in, and swabbed and sent on my merry way, my smartwatch does not even register the end of my trek before it starts again and I head home. Now I'm waiting on results. Heaven help me if I ever need to do this without a car after they move the hospital.

Diet/Recipes:

Had some curried mushrooms for lunch, and speaking of lunches I still need to come up with a new recipe. Thinking of trying something new. I stumbled on a recipe for chicken paprikash the other day it looked interesting. thinking of just browsing for something interesting and trying my luck.

Yoga:

Despite feeling like I've been beaten up I did manage my yoga this morning.

Level Up:

A day off work, wasn't wasted, I have managed to finish cutting my vest out, and attach all the interfacing. Only now the foot pedal on my machine is playing up. So, tomorrow I'm going to have to start looking into a warranty service, because I think it could be the socket. Still. I'll be using the start/stop button until I can get this sorted. *sigh* Rolling 1's, right?

Bonus:

Steps: 4/7

Water: 3/7

Yoga: 3/5

6 hours ago, Qeidren said:

Day 26:

So how was your day?

I woke up this morning feeling like crap. Not bad enough to stay home, not normally at least. But given the current situation I decided to check my symptoms, first online, then calling the advice line. So I was advised to isolate and then get tested ASAP. The odds of my actually having covid are phenomenally low, and honestly I did not even want to stay home, but the price of being wrong is potentially high.

Given how Day 24 went, and the lack of sleep mentioned in Day 25, I completely agree with you in your assessment of the odds. In my own COVID scare a couple of weeks ago, the symptoms I had, and the symptoms Husband had, could also be directly explained by assuming they were a physical reaction to stress. We went to get tested for the same reason you did - the consequences of being wrong and dismissing the symptoms as nothing, are potentially quite severe. As long-time D&D players, Husband and I are well aware that it's possible to roll a natural 1 on a Save vs Infection, and it's not worth the risk.

Fingers crossed that your test  is negative! Do you know when you will get the results?

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

12 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Fingers crossed that your test  is negative! Do you know when you will get the results?

All clear. Recieved my results just after 2PM and I was back at work by 3. No sense staying home when I don't have COVID. I am however still sick with something, so I am wearing a mask for the duration and will be wiping down all the equipment at the end of my shift. Don't need any more people off.

• Like 2

Day 27/28:

Double update today because it's been that kind of week. End of week 4: I missed my yoga class because of train issues, and then I came down with a (minor) chest infection, and thanks to a Covid test I missed two days of work. Still, I managed to get caught up on my sewing. Then my machine started playing up. So it's been one of those weeks.

Diet:

You know I got this.

Recipes:

Gonna go browsing for something out of my usual routine for my last recipe.

Yoga:

Hit the bonus but missed my class this week.

Level up:

Hit that this week.

Bonus:

Steps: 7/7

Water: 6/7

Yoga: 5/5

Only 9 bonus points this week on account of the water fiasco. 66 BP total.

Day 29:

Another standard day. Had a bit of a sleep in. Got the shopping done. Did some more spring cleaning. Slowly getting the house in order.

Diet:

On track with my leafy greens, had some curried mushrooms for dinner. Still rockin the smoothies and starting to eat more fruit when I'm not at work.

Recipes:

Gonna go browsing today for something different and fun to cook.

Yoga:

Class tuesday. Keeping up with practise. Gonna go through my book and try some more poses this week.

Level up:

Because I am working Thursday night through to Monday morning,  I have until sunrise Thursday to finish my vest. This level up challenge is going to need a revisit, I think. I'm glad to be making progress, but I could be making more.

Bonus:

Steps: 1/7

Water: 1/7

Yoga: 0/5

• Like 1

Day 30:

Family birthday today, cooked a special dinner, had a bit of a free pass on the calorie front. Nothing major, just a lot of mashed potatoes with Garlic and bacon.

Diet:

Next challenge I am setting up something about fruit and veg every day. Not that I'm doing badly, I just want consistency off work versus working.

Recipes:

Spent a lot of time fighting with fabrics and cooking a fancy version of meat and 3 veg, then cleaning up the kitchen. Penciling in time for tomorrow.

Yoga:

Got my practice in, class tomorrow.

Level up:

I am seeing myself falling about 3 days short on this one, and it's not the amount of stuff that's left, even though there's a lot. It's these one or two fiddly things right near the start of the construction, and it's the first time I've ever done them before. It's easy when I know how, but figuring it out often involves reading the instructions 3 times, swearing a lot, watching 3 or 4 youtube videos and then bumbling my way through it, occasionally unpicking a lot of stitches. I'm not so sure this one is salvagable. I completely mangled one of the pockets just now and I'm having to call it a day and reset because tomorrow I need to recut and reface 3 pieces. All of this is why I should've been working at this more over the past month. But, this is that big thing that needs working on: self-supervising my personal projects. It's rarely something I find easy. Still. I persevere. I finally flipped the switch on diet and exercise, I can do it on self-actualisation.

Bonus:

Steps: 2/7

Water: 2/7

Yoga: 1/5

Day 31:

Feeling a bit blah today. Everything's been stacking up, and I don't just mean my level up stuff. I've got a lawn mower that won't start, and no idea what's wrong with it, as a consequence I have a yard full of knee-length weeds. Got two dishes to cook tomorrow, and some yard work to do with the line trimmer. Christmas creeps ever closer and the list of small expenses keeps growing. The thought of having to replace a mower on top of that is more than a little disappointing.

Diet:

Took the time out to have a bowl of salad with lunch. Completely out of berries for smoothie making at the moment and so are the local supermarkets :(

Recipes:

Went browsing for chicken dishes today and literally everything I looked at was some flavour of forbidden. So, I decided I'm going to grab a bunch of chillies tomorrow and do my own thing, something spicy with some fast fried veggies.

Yoga:

Class tonight. I'm still getting the odd twinge in my back when I sit a certain way, but I'm still making progress. Some more feedback from the teachers would be nice, too. But there are a lot of factors involved there. The frequency of my practice at home helping me with flexibility and technique, my confidence with some of the less basic poses, and my mobility issues being less severe than some other people's.

Level up:

I got super bummed about my progress on this today, but I did manage to unpick the pocket welts I mangled yesterday and fix them. I don't know if I'm going to finish this on time, but I'm not giving up.

r6RrUba.jpg

Bonus:

Steps: 3/7

Water: 3/7

Yoga: 1/5

• Like 1

Day 32:

So I spent a lot of time today doing various things. Like go to every supermarket in the local area looking for frozen berries, we're running super low right now, but at least for the next week I will have blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries. I managed to hack the heads off of the weeds with the line trimmer, so the lawns don't look completely feral, but I won't be able to keep doing it. Long-term it's only going to make the weeds worse. I need to get some springs for the mower throttle assembly, so that's another urgent project. Yay...

Diet:

Crushed it.

Recipes:

I made two dishes today. The first was Bolognese, traditional-style, bone broth, butter, red wine. . . kinda naughty that, but honestly there's only one proper way to make bolognese as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not compromising on that one. I left the sauce to simmer while I did the yard, so it had a proper 3 hours to cook, too. Was a beautiful velvet when I came back to finish it off. The second dish was challenge-worthy though, just a spicy chilli sauce inspired by some of the recipes I've read over the past three days. Doused it over some large pieces of chicken breast, perfect for serving with salad actually, and a half-serve of toasted rice. Really want to nail down the technique on that because there are so many places you can go with toasting spices into rice.

Yoga:

More practice today. Much needed, my back has been complaining about all the hunching I've been doing lately.

Level up:

Definitely cutting it fine, but, once I work out the last one or two fiddly bits it should be plain sailing through to the finish. The best I'm going to award myself here is a B+, but I'm happy with the work I've actually put in the past three days. Hopefully it's going to start sticking, because I'm not even a quarter of the way there to replacing my wardrobe, and I'd like to be ready for the winter when it finally rolls around. I've managed to work out how to get the pockets finished in spite of the destructions, and put together the front lining. One minor hiccup will require a thin strip of lining added to one side, but that is literally 5 minutes work with the overlocker and it will be all-but invisible. Liliana has been supervising my work for most of the evening and has informed me that it is time for bed. I think I can get a few more rows of stitching in. Enough to finish off the front of the vest anyhow.

dHFvegr.jpg

Bonus:

Steps: 4/7

Water: 4/7

Yoga: 2/5

• Like 2

Your cat looks like my Regal Sidekick did. She's beautiful. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

17 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Your cat looks like my Regal Sidekick did. She's beautiful. :) 

She is a sweetie pie, and whip-smart too. One good thing to come out of the disaster zone that was my last relationship.

• Like 1

Day 33/34:

Another double-update because it's that time of year again. I mean, I could leave this for tomorrow and do a final wrap up. But, that's not what I've done this entire challenge, and starting now just feels wrong.

Diet:

Leafy greens. Yum.

Recipes:

Tyramine-free cooking is now my jam.

Yoga:

I am not a superstitious person, not super at any rate, but definitely stitious. For example: I know that if I ever try to do anything other than my job at work, things are going to go badly. Even if I have the time, even if it's not going to cause me to derelict my duties. I brought along a book once, there are still cracks in the concrete. Silly me said: 'if I do yoga today I'll be running late, I can make it up at work. . .

All that shovelling was a great upper body workout. The rest of the night is best not talked about.

Level up:

I could rush this and get it done, but, I would know. Every time I put it on I wouldn't just see the forgiveable imperfections of a beginner, I would see the hurry-induced mistakes of someone who cared more about a deadline than the finished product. Now you could call me a perfectionist and you wouldn't be completely wrong, even prefectionist is a label that fits from time to time (certainly explains the troubles in starting sometimes), but this is different. This is me taking my self-inflicted lumps and admitting that I did not leave myself time to do the job to the standard I am capable of.

Speaking of. I am trying to fix the material shortage without splicing, but again: it's going to take a little more than just zipping in a new line of stitches. So that's what it takes.

Bonus:

Steps: 6/7

Water: 6/7

Yoga: 4/5

Day 35:

The final wrap up. I'm just gonna do a standard post and save my grading and thoughts for later when I have a proper keyboard in front of me.

Diet:

I stopped tracking the total mass of the salads I was eating when I started having more than an entire 400g bag of greens to myself every week. I was actually kinda disappointed this evening to discover the crisper was bare when I went to put my lunch together.

Recipes:

The entire point of this challenge was to keep myself mindful of everything in my diet that contains tyramine, not just the things that are high-content triggers. I miss making my own ramen, and having stir frys and korean barbecue, but I am finding things to replace my old favourites, and now I can have them once or twice a month without worrying about whether or not every bad mood is an impending migraine.

Yoga:

I am super happy with the progress I've made here. I haven't made nearly the amount of gains in flexibility that I thought I would, but I'm doing way better with posture and back pain. Definitely sticking with this one and I really enjoy it.

Level up:

I made it to within sight of the finishing line here, right before the tipping point where everything would've fallen together. But, I ran out of free time to make the final push, and honestly I think it's better that I failed in the 11th hour than do 90% of the work in the last 5 days and call it a success. I'll be wrapping this up in the next week with plenty of pictures.

Bonus:

Steps: 7/7

Greens: >400g

Water: 7/7

Yoga: 5/5

The entire point of these four bonus challenges was about mindfulness of small changes, taking them from conscientious small steps towards a daily routine that's easy to keep doing without continual monitoring, and on that front I have succeeded amazingly.

Total BP: 83

Looking forward to the next one.

The End:

Well. Here we are. 1 Challenge down, lots more to come. Lessons have been learned, thoughts to add, so let's dive in.

Diet: A+

This was such a simple change in the end, but a necessary one. It took all of a few days before I noticed the changes in my mood and energy levels. It was this small change above all else that has made all the difference in this challenge, that switch was flipped and I find myself not only craving junk foods less and less, but enjoying them less too. I found myself thinking this morning after work about stopping in at McDonald's for hotcakes, and then lamenting that what I really wanted was proper pancakes, blueberry, with some macerated strawberries and a little honey and lemon on top. Like, I will still, happily reach for something rich and calorie-dense, but takeout these days feels less like a treat and more like a pale shadow of that home-made something special.

Recipes: A

I'm not 100% happy with everything I came up with in this challenge, but I did try something new every week, and I have dropped the tyramine content of my diet by another 90% easy. This is another exercise in mindfulness, and one that has me moving in the right direction

Yoga: A

My back pain is still in the background, but it is nowhere near as troubling as it was a month ago. I am standing straighter, walking taller, and the improvements I have already seen have set me on a path towards eliminating those remaining issues over the medium to long term. I'm already looking at exercises to increase my core strength, and I'll be starting on that this week. One minor thing is that my focus has changed from simply going through the motions, to focussing on my form and making sure I'm getting the most benefit out of my practice.

Level up: D

I am happy with the effort I finally put in, and I did learn a lot about goal setting here, but I still missed the mark. The lessons learned here are invaluable though, and they are going to inform everything I'm planning for in the holiday challenge and the new year. Quantity-based goals are essential for every day practise, but quality and milestone goals matter for the medium and long term, because you have to know where you're going to maintain that motivation, they all matter, but in different ways, at different timescales. So there's nothing wrong with failure, as long as it teaches you something.

Overall: B+