spezzy

dantes

Carsomyr

NukeTheUnicorns

DDayOmaha

Dawsy

KungfuTarzanJesus

about warriors:

This tank is incredibly strong and powerful, pushing weight like it’s his job. Which is good, because it IS his job. Big, bulky, and strong as an ox, Warriors constantly try to push themselves to be bigger, better, stronger. Eating and lifting are the only two things Warriors worry about. You do NOT want to go punch for punch with a Warrior. You will get destroyed.

Primary attributes: Strength, power

Training: Pure strength-building weight training, Olympic lifting.

Real life example: Any World’s Strongest Man competitor.

yay warriors!

ok, first order of business: team name.

as much as i like the warriors, that was my hs team name, and not only was i not on the team, but i was in the pep band. one of four people in the pep band.

so yes. name!

Right a brief intro you say, in the theme of role playing.

Name: Dantes (Nigel)

Destination: Helms Deep (Kick ass body able to handle Sarumans Orcs)

Current Point: Fields of Rohan (Almost there but need to step it up to charge down that slope)

Strengths: Swinging a greatsword (Strength and eating like a truck), Exposive attacks (Sprinting, Kettlebell work)

Weaknesses: Catching the smaller orcs (Endurance and Aerobic Stamina)

What I bring to the table: Won't accept anything less than my best from myself or others, I have the attitude where if you're going to do something you might as well do it properly. No point half assing shit. I'm full of random information about both strength training and getting leanish.

Current Goals:

Brief summary of my goals, you can find a larger description in my challenge thread.

1) Regain Strength:

Just came out of a 4 week exam period and I deliberately toned it down to avoid injuries. Right now I'm looking for a gym and I'm attempting to get back to the strength levels i was at before I stopped.

However, I am fairly injury prone so I need to be careful and push it on the good days and tone it down on the bad ones.

Looking at getting into the gym for serious weight shifting 3-5 times per week depending on how the body is feeling.

2) Get Leaner/Abs goal

I'm at the point where I'm right on the cusp of getting a 6 pack, again the exams and student living sorta put a bit of a cramp in these so I'm just trying to tidy up the diet, take it one day at a time and get gradually leaner. I do have a bit of an obsession issue so I'm trying to accomplish this goal safely.

3) Get Bendier

This basically ties into the injuries I've sustained. Flexibility is important to me and so I'm attempting to stretch daily. I have a historically bad back from playing rugby and posture is a large issue for me. I'm going to attempt to minimise the amount of time I spend sitting whilst simultaneously rocking some basic Yoga poses Alethea hooked me up with to hopefully stay injury free this challenge.

As to Team Name:

How about the Uruk-hai? Bred for pure strength and fanatical pursuit of using that strength (Plus it's fun to be the bad guys sometimes.)

HEY WARRIORS! anybody wanna help me with a form check? my squat hasn't been feeling up to par lately, so I wanna get some outsider opinions. I know you guys aren't experts but some feedback would be nice :)

Great idea posting a video, I'll have to do the same. I'm only a novice in the strength training side of things, but I've been reading the amazing Strength Training Second Edition book, which I think is indispensible for learning the basics, so I feel that I can at least give you a bit of feedback.

There are 2 things that jump out from your video.

1. You need to squat much lower. Your thighs should end up lower than your knees at the lowest point...and stick your bum out.

2. Your wrists should be straight, not broken.

Hope this helps!

GO THE WARRIORS!

1. You need to squat much lower. Your thighs should end up lower than your knees at the lowest point...and stick your bum out.

Hope this helps!

GO THE WARRIORS!

1. that's what I figured. however, I'm pretty inflexible and find it difficult to go that low :\

2. thanks for the tip.

Parallel is good enough for the moment.

As long as you're not stopping above that you should be fine.

I'll check out the video itself when I get everything set up tomorrow. Can't be fucked downloading the proper flash version on this older computer :(

Also depth will have more to do with hip mobility, stance and weight involved.

I usually only hit parallel simply due to hip mobility, mine isn't good enough with my wide stance to get much below parallel without it being uncomfortable. (Trust me when you start getting over 1.5x BW uncomfortable is not a word you want associated with squats).

But yea, I'll watch the vid tomorrow and get back to you NTU.

Dantes - I'm stealing your post and editing it for my intro.

Name: Spezzy (Staci)

Destination: Asgard (the home of the Aesir, or the warrior gods :) )

Current Point: still searching for a path

Strengths: axe wielding (strength), stamina.

Weaknesses: one on one close quarters combat (agility)

What I bring to the table: come from a weight loss background and still learning about strength. feverishly working to get every piece of knowledge i can to make sure i'm doing it right. not afraid to admit when i was doing it wrong. (because it seems like half the time, i was :) )

Current Goals:

brief overview and why:

goal one - strength - when i was younger, i was incredibly strong (due to growing up on a farm). then i went to college, got fat, and went crazy trying to lose that fat (i went from fat to skinny fat), and lost all of my strength. i'd like the strength i had back + a lot more.

goal two - conditioning:

what's the point of being strong if i can't use it to help me in battle? i don't want to be the one left on the ship loading cannonballs.

goal three - stretching:

i need to get bendier, but i also need to help prevent injury. ive found that the heavier i lift, the tighter i get.

goal four - rest/fuel:

even vikings need to sleep sometimes.

goal five - finances (life goal):

money's always been a problem for me. while i would love to just pillage villages and steal all of their money, i'm pretty sure the government would frown upon that. so lets fix my money issues :)

And for team name I like and second Uruk-hai. What does everyone else think?

Hope this helps!

GO THE WARRIORS!

1. that's what I figured. however, I'm pretty inflexible and find it difficult to go that low :\

2. thanks for the tip.

hey! just got a chance to watch this. such a good idea to post a video :)

you will definitely want to go deeper. you should try to hit at least parallel - so your hips go slightly lower than your knees. lemme see if i can find some videos of the exercise that i do to help out with flexibility in order to get down there.

also, can't see your feet. where do your knees line up with your feet? it looks like you could be squatting a bit far forward, i'd focus on sticking your bum out like dawsy said :)

I'm down for Uruk-Hai. Spez, what are your flexibility goals?

right now i'm just working on getting MORE flexible. :) i'm not really sure how to measure flexibility - focusing on being bendy is way new to me - but i know i'm way too tight. i've added a pretty decent bunch of yoga stretches after my routine that i do now, and i'm seeing pretty good improvements on all of those.

i saw you talking about specific degrees - is there a way to know what's good and what's too tight so i can measure it? i <3 numbers :)

Guest DdayOmaha1944

I too am stealing your post Dantes

Name: Wilhelm (Will)

Destination: Dagobah (serious strength and agility training)

Current Point: Hanging upside down with the Wampa (gotta find the motivation to start working out again)

Strengths: Will (pushing myself to the limit)

Weaknesses: Revelry (college parties = too many beer calories)

What I bring to the table: An open ear. While relatively new to fitness, I'm willing to listen and give advice when I can

Current Goals:

Brief summary of my goals, you can find a larger description in my challenge thread.

1) Build Strength: I've never been the strongest or the fastest and thats gonna change.

2) Lose the Beer Gut: I've always had it, nows the time to get rid of it. (I guess it wasn't always due to beer though...)

3) Get Energy/Get Tired: I need to stop sleeping in and stay active so I'm tired at night.

I'm down with the Uruk-hai as well, as long as we don't need to be spawned in mud!

Sign in to follow this