Trying to make a change

Hello everyone, 

I heard about NF through friend. I recently (not under ideal conditions) moved to a new country with a new job, and due to social distancing rules haven't made that many friends, gyms are closed as well. I am also working from home and realized that my life has become really stagnant. I am looking for some motivation and moral support to literally get off my butt. 

I have never been athletic, but I really want to make a change that will make me healthier and fitter. However, I am not really sure how to even start. Looking forward to being a part of this community. 

• Like 2

Welcome! 🙋‍♀️

Will post helpful links in a minute...

The Basics

Start simple with one goal that is fairly easy to achieve & 3 other goals that are a bit more challenging...

Usually one personal goal & 3 health goals.

Hope this helps!

My goals are posted in the Scouts forum & I've been on the forums for awhile. If you would like to follow, I will post link; just let me know.

I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have.

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

13 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Welcome! 🙋‍♀️

Will post helpful links in a minute...

The Basics

Start simple with one goal that is fairly easy to achieve & 3 other goals that are a bit more challenging...

Usually one personal goal & 3 health goals.

Hope this helps!

My goals are posted in the Scouts forum & I've been on the forums for awhile. If you would like to follow, I will post link; just let me know.

I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have.

Hey, Thank you for that. Yes, I would like a link to your goals. It will give me an idea of how to begin. My problem is I have limited resources where I am. At the moment, I can go walking/running, and do Yoga at home. That's about it. But I do like the idea of a setting a personal goal along with the health ones. 

Welcome! 

Just dropping this little link here https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ for at home strength workouts.  I don't know your level of fitness, but there are always ways to increase the challenge with body weight work when you are ready.  I've never set foot in a gym and basically stopped playing with weights entirely but am definitely stronger than I've ever been just by doing body weight adaptations.  Of course if you prefer playing with weights you might not enjoy this sort of workout as much, but it can get you through until gyms are safe again.   Additionally, walking, running, and yoga are great options if they are your preference, too.  The best fitness plan is the one you will actually do.

That's a long winded way of saying that you can get a really good workout without weights or a gym.  You may just need to get a little creative.

I'm in the Rebel forum for this round if you want to check another challenge out.  (I totally look at other's challenges and steal ideas for myself.)

daily dare   46 45 44  43 42 41  40 39 38 37 36 35  34 32  31 30  29  28 27  26  25 24 23 22 21 20 19  18  17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 #8 #7  #6  #5 #4 #3  #2 #1

6 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Hey, checking on you...hope you're ok.

Hey, Thanks so much for checking in. Just trying to figure out a routine, and what works for me. I did go walking early in the morning for like 1 day, I discovered this sports complex that's not too far from my house, and they have a huge track. I found this YouTube channel for Yoga called "Yoga with Adrienne" which was awesome, so did some Yoga. I do want to incorporate the resistance training that @Chesire suggested. I also did some research on healthy eating, and threw out some of the snacks I had. So I guess, I just dipped my toes in a little bit this week.

I have posted my goals in the first time challengers sub-forum and they are:

My long term goal is to loose 20lbs by end of December: 

1. Hit 10,000 steps every day. 

2. Alternate between Yoga and Strength training everyday

2a. 3 rounds of: 20 bodyweight squats 

10 Push-ups

15 second plank

30 Jumping jacks

10 walking lunges 

2b: I am using the YouTube Channel "Yoga with Adrienne" for guidance. 

3. Cut down on binge watching, Iimit to 1-2 episodes per day.  

Personal goal: I have just moved to a new country and don't know anyone. I am also working from home so sometimes days go by and I don't talk to anyone. I will try and have a conversation with a new person each week. 

• Like 1
On 10/26/2020 at 5:35 PM, Chesire said:

Welcome! 

Just dropping this little link here https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ for at home strength workouts.  I don't know your level of fitness, but there are always ways to increase the challenge with body weight work when you are ready.  I've never set foot in a gym and basically stopped playing with weights entirely but am definitely stronger than I've ever been just by doing body weight adaptations.  Of course if you prefer playing with weights you might not enjoy this sort of workout as much, but it can get you through until gyms are safe again.   Additionally, walking, running, and yoga are great options if they are your preference, too.  The best fitness plan is the one you will actually do.

That's a long winded way of saying that you can get a really good workout without weights or a gym.  You may just need to get a little creative.

I'm in the Rebel forum for this round if you want to check another challenge out.  (I totally look at other's challenges and steal ideas for myself.)

Hi Chesire, 

Thanks for that link. I am using that set of exercises to do every other day as one of my goals. 

On 10/28/2020 at 10:35 PM, JoanHodges said:

I was in the same situation when I moved to another country: lack of motivation and really hard conditions of doing sports, I was athletic type for as long as I can remember myself, but sitting all day round has brought its results

I am glad I am not alone in this. And just a week on this forum and I sense a change in my attitude. I hope you are doing well. 

On 10/27/2020 at 1:21 PM, Mr_Willes said:

Invest some time here, get to know like minded. You will have a blast and can make some lasting friendships!

If you have unanswered questions and don't know where to go you can always come to my inbox during the Direct Message system (envelope in the top rigtht).

Thank you Mr_Wiles, I have just posted my challenge. I am hopeful that I can make a change this time.