Edgedancer looks for peace

Edgedancer

Things are not getting easier with the pandemic. I started my current job during the pandemic so I have always worked from home and I feel isolated. I got to know a few people in the city since I arrived but with the lockdown I can't see them anymore, and it is not helping with the feeling of isolation. Things are not going as well as I'd like at work, and I am trying to find a permanent research position back in France which is quite stressful. 

Overall my mental health is not at its best right now, so my main goal this challenge is to breath, reduce anxiety, take care of myself and hang on until things get better. I realize this is a fitness forum, and I also have some fitness goals! Physical activity is important for my physical and mental health anyway.

Intention 1: a still mind
    - Meditate (every day)
    - Take 15 minutes each day for my mental health. Most of the time it will be for identifying/responding to automatic thoughts or understanding anxiety, but I don't want to be too restrictive
    - Prioritize reading over screens

Intention 2: a moving body
    - Do pull-up practice/inverted rows everyday
    - Bodyweight workout 3 times a week
    - Get out of my appartement. My goal would be to go out 5 days a week.

Intention 3: trusting the bigger plan
I have made a weekly plan of things I want to do career-wise. I will review this plan every week and do what is planned (or at least try)

Intention 4: making each week special

Each week I will pick some things I want to do to level-up my life, or to break the monotony of the lockdown.

All of these are intentions, not goals. Most of them are formulated in a SMART way but I am not planning on tracking or reporting on each of these individual things each week. I'll probably talk about what is working well and what isn't. I might report on the bigger plan and making each week special though.

• Like 5

Current challenge

"Failure is the mark of a life well lived." - Brandon Sanderson, Oathbringer. 

20 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I like the set up.Setting intentions rather than goals seems like a wise move.

Seconded. :) Hope you feel better soon. *hugs*

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I like the set up.Setting intentions rather than goals seems like a wise move.

Thanks. I wanted something more flexible like we talked about last challenge, but it turns out I think in a structured way, and my goals are SMART by default. It's ok, I can have SMART goals and modify them as needed, keeping in mind the more global intentions.

2 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Seconded. :) Hope you feel better soon. *hugs*

• Like 1

Current challenge

I wrote down my intentions earlier this week, even if I only posted yesterday. So I have a couple things to say about how my week went!

The 15 minutes of mental health are a really good thing. They are especially useful when I start feeling low/upset during the day. I then set a 15-minute timer and write down automatic thoughts, identify distortions and substitute more rational responses. It helps pinning down what is wrong, and it's easier to start doing productive things again once I am done. If it was not needed at some point during the day I do it in evening. It is less useful, but it helps me keep the habit.

My special thing this week was to go shopping for some clothes. I don't like shopping at all, and I have delayed it since I arrived because I am not familiar with the shops here, so it is even more annoying than usual. But I went on Thursday, and it was pretty nice. I went in a part of the city I don't know very well, and I enjoyed the walk. I also tried a new ice cream place which was very good! I did not get everything I needed (I have been delaying this way too long), so I'll have to go back next week.

The other thing I was supposed to do was go to an online meet-up of women living in my city on Saturday. I felt anxious about it and I didn't do it, we went for a long walk instead. It kind of fits into the other intentions (moving body, still mind) so it's alright.

Making next week special will involve:

• Going back downtown to get the last clothes I need. Hopefully after that I'll be able to wear REAL clothes (not leggings) that are confortable enough to wear while staying at home all day
  • Asking one of my co-worker to go for a walk together. She often takes walks in a parc close to my appartement, and going together would be a good opportunity to both go out and get to know someone from work

• Like 4

Current challenge

2 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

The 15 minutes of mental health are a really good thing. They are especially useful when I start feeling low/upset during the day. I then set a 15-minute timer and write down automatic thoughts, identify distortions and substitute more rational responses. It helps pinning down what is wrong, and it's easier to start doing productive things again once I am done.

I really like this idea. Sometimes my thoughts are coming at me a mile a minute & all at one time. I wonder if it would help.

• Like 2

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

11 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

Going back downtown to get the last clothes I need. Hopefully after that I'll be able to wear REAL clothes (not leggings) that are confortable enough to wear while staying at home all day

I totally know this feeling... I do have some comfy jeans, but somehow I often end up dressed in sports pants, a T-shirt and a hoody. Working from home is not good for my dress-style :rolleyes:.

11 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

The 15 minutes of mental health are a really good thing. They are especially useful when I start feeling low/upset during the day. I then set a 15-minute timer and write down automatic thoughts, identify distortions and substitute more rational responses.

This is such a neat exercise, and I'm glad that it's helping you :).

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

I wrote down my intentions earlier this week, even if I only posted yesterday. So I have a couple things to say about how my week went!

The 15 minutes of mental health are a really good thing. They are especially useful when I start feeling low/upset during the day. I then set a 15-minute timer and write down automatic thoughts, identify distortions and substitute more rational responses. It helps pinning down what is wrong, and it's easier to start doing productive things again once I am done. If it was not needed at some point during the day I do it in evening. It is less useful, but it helps me keep the habit.

My special thing this week was to go shopping for some clothes. I don't like shopping at all, and I have delayed it since I arrived because I am not familiar with the shops here, so it is even more annoying than usual. But I went on Thursday, and it was pretty nice. I went in a part of the city I don't know very well, and I enjoyed the walk. I also tried a new ice cream place which was very good! I did not get everything I needed (I have been delaying this way too long), so I'll have to go back next week.

The other thing I was supposed to do was go to an online meet-up of women living in my city on Saturday. I felt anxious about it and I didn't do it, we went for a long walk instead. It kind of fits into the other intentions (moving body, still mind) so it's alright.

Making next week special will involve:

• Going back downtown to get the last clothes I need. Hopefully after that I'll be able to wear REAL clothes (not leggings) that are confortable enough to wear while staying at home all day
  • Asking one of my co-worker to go for a walk together. She often takes walks in a parc close to my appartement, and going together would be a good opportunity to both go out and get to know someone from work

What's the downtown area like in your town? Those kind of walks are some of my favorites!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Waanie said:

I do have some comfy jeans, but somehow I often end up dressed in sports pants, a T-shirt and a hoody. Working from home is not good for my dress-style :rolleyes:.

I feel this so much right now LOL. 

14 hours ago, Waanie said:

This is such a neat exercise, and I'm glad that it's helping you :).

Seconded. :) 

• Like 1
On 10/25/2020 at 9:10 PM, fitnessgurl said:

I really like this idea. Sometimes my thoughts are coming at me a mile a minute & all at one time. I wonder if it would help.

I think it would. Sometimes I start by writing a bunch of thoughts down, and then tackle them one at a time. After I do just a few I find the last ones I wrote down don't matter anymore. Answering the first thoughts help to clear things up more globally.

On 10/26/2020 at 7:00 AM, Waanie said:

I totally know this feeling... I do have some comfy jeans, but somehow I often end up dressed in sports pants, a T-shirt and a hoody. Working from home is not good for my dress-style :rolleyes:.

I now have a pair of comfy jeans, and it's a real step up! I also thought my dress-style didn't matter if I was staying at home all day, but it turns out wearing leggings everyday for several months is not very good for my self-estime. So I'm very happy about the comfy jeans! I am planning on getting a skirt, and then I'll be able to wear leggings AND be elegant. Crazy!

On 10/26/2020 at 5:48 PM, Laghail said:

What's the downtown area like in your town? Those kind of walks are some of my favorites!

There are a lot of skyscrapers, and many shopping malls and shops concentrated in the same area. I am not used to that, in Paris there are small shops everywhere, even if some streets have more than others. There were some roadworks, which I thought was annoying, but I now realized the road was blocked and there weren't any cars, which actually made it nicer. 

It's also a part of Montreal that feels more north-american than european, so it seemed more exotic to me!

• Like 1

Current challenge

I skipped the pull-up practice and bodyweight workout several days because my upper back was stuck. I started again today and it felt good! I think my traps don't react well to stretching, so I'll stop stretching them for a while and see how it goes.

Today I had a walk with my co-worker, it was really nice! 

• Like 3

Current challenge

I'm glad you could get to know a coworker better outside of work!

Have you had a chance to check out Montreal's Underground City (RESO) yet?

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  

8 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

I now have a pair of comfy jeans, and it's a real step up! I also thought my dress-style didn't matter if I was staying at home all day, but it turns out wearing leggings everyday for several months is not very good for my self-estime. So I'm very happy about the comfy jeans! I am planning on getting a skirt, and then I'll be able to wear leggings AND be elegant. Crazy!

Nice! I had never thought about wearing a skirt in winter with leggings, I should check out that style!

8 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

I skipped the pull-up practice and bodyweight workout several days because my upper back was stuck. I started again today and it felt good! I think my traps don't react well to stretching, so I'll stop stretching them for a while and see how it goes.

Today I had a walk with my co-worker, it was really nice! 

I hope that your upper back will get un-stuck again soon! And yay for walks with other people :).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Waanie said:

Nice! I had never thought about wearing a skirt in winter with leggings, I should check out that style!

I do this a lot. If it's really cold, I wear boots...cause, yeah, BOOTS! Lol, I love them!

• Like 2

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Soli Deo Gloria

On 10/27/2020 at 8:41 PM, juliebarkley said:

Have you had a chance to check out Montreal's Underground City (RESO) yet?

Ah! I thought I did, but on Google Maps the enter is not where I thought it was. It is close to the underground shopping malls I know of, but it may be bigger than I thought. I am wondering if it looks different in other parts, I need to explore more! Thank you for the suggestion!

On 10/28/2020 at 4:00 AM, Waanie said:

On 10/28/2020 at 7:50 AM, fitnessgurl said:

I do this a lot. If it's really cold, I wear boots...cause, yeah, BOOTS! Lol, I love them!

I got a skirt and boots, and it's amazing! I am confortable all the time and it looks good! This is going to become my new "default" style, I definitely recommend!

On 10/28/2020 at 7:51 AM, fitnessgurl said:

How are you today? I hope your back is better.

Thank you for asking! I am answering a little late. My back was still stuck on Wednesday, so I let it rest for a couple of days and I worked out again today. The mornings after workout days are especially difficult, so I'll see how it feels tomorrow.

I am starting to feel better. I guess several of the things I am now doing on a regular basis (going outside, 15 minutes of mental health...) are useful. I have also been quite busy, which usually helps. The downside is that I am feeling a bit stressed out by the amount of things I am trying to do (especially related to my career) and not having enough time in my days to do all of it. I'll try to manage that better next week!

I also had a "I'm not feeling so well" talk with my supervisors and they were very understanding. I think it helps me to know they understand, and are not expecting crazy output from me right now. But to be honest, I don't think they were expecting crazy output before. I was the one putting too much pressure on myself.

• Like 3

Current challenge

I did the 2 things I had picked up to make my week special (taking a walk with a co-worker and buying clothes). Next week my things are:

• speak with one of my co-workers at least once a day
  • prepare a fake Thanksgiving dinner
  • make a transplant from my basil which is getting sick.

The "moving body" intention is going great for the "getting outside" part, but I am not doing my workouts well. This is partly due to my neck getting stuck again, but I haven't tried much either. I am going to try an upper/lower body split this week. This way my upper back will get more time to recover between workouts, but I'll have some physical activity everyday. I am way more consistent this way than when I workout every other day.

Not challenge related, but we had a Halloween Zoom party at work yesterday, and it was really nice to socialize a little.

• Like 3

Current challenge

On 10/28/2020 at 7:50 AM, fitnessgurl said:

23 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

I got a skirt and boots, and it's amazing! I am confortable all the time and it looks good! This is going to become my new "default" style, I definitely recommend!

As a dedicated skirt wearer who lives in a cold and snowy place, there are tricks to wearing a skirt all winter. First, full skirts, ankle length or near touching the top of the feet. It traps a bubble of warm air around you. Even a small height increase (or high heeled boots) can ruin the bubble. Second, fabric the wind can't blow through easily. Lining helps but is not essential. If I stick to those two, I never have a problem with everyday cold, and I can be outside all day no problem if I throw a pair of long underwear underneath.

13 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

The "moving body" intention is going great for the "getting outside" part, but I am not doing my workouts well. This is partly due to my neck getting stuck again, but I haven't tried much either. I am going to try an upper/lower body split this week. This way my upper back will get more time to recover between workouts, but I'll have some physical activity everyday. I am way more consistent this way than when I workout every other day.

I do better when I make my habits every day as well. What do you have planned for your workout splits?

• Like 2

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  

18 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

As a dedicated skirt wearer who lives in a cold and snowy place, there are tricks to wearing a skirt all winter. First, full skirts, ankle length or near touching the top of the feet. It traps a bubble of warm air around you. Even a small height increase (or high heeled boots) can ruin the bubble. Second, fabric the wind can't blow through easily. Lining helps but is not essential. If I stick to those two, I never have a problem with everyday cold, and I can be outside all day no problem if I throw a pair of long underwear underneath.

As a would-be skirt wearer who just started living in a snowy place, thank you! I feel like long skirts are hard to find, where do you get them? Do you have specific fabric recommandation? I am not very good at this kind of things.

20 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

What do you have planned for your workout splits?

I am not completely sure, because my previous lower/upper split used weights, and now I can only use bodyweight exercices. For lower body I'm going to try glute bridge, single leg squats (using a chair) and bulgarian split squats. I'm worried the 2 kinds of squats might be too similar, but I'm not sure what else I could do. 2 exercices feels like too little. 

For upper body: negative pull-ups, scapular pull-ups and push-ups.

I'll appreciate any feedback on the routine/exercices!

• Like 1

Current challenge

1 hour ago, Edgedancer said:

As a would-be skirt wearer who just started living in a snowy place, thank you! I feel like long skirts are hard to find, where do you get them? Do you have specific fabric recommandation? I am not very good at this kind of things.

I get mine second-hand. Good winter skirts are hard to find, new or used. If the fabric feels heavier than a "summer" skirt, it has a good chance of working. The one I'm wearing right now is corduroy and tiered. My other two really good ones have gores to give them their fullness. I have a couple of other ones with heavy fabric that aren't full. Those are fine too, but I wouldn't wear them for a day where I was outside a lot.

1 hour ago, Edgedancer said:

I am not completely sure, because my previous lower/upper split used weights, and now I can only use bodyweight exercices. For lower body I'm going to try glute bridge, single leg squats (using a chair) and bulgarian split squats. I'm worried the 2 kinds of squats might be too similar, but I'm not sure what else I could do. 2 exercices feels like too little. 

That's not that far off what I've been doing, except that I do it all on the same day. I also struggle with bulking up leg exercises; I am doing only one (pistols) and some stretching. They are mighty hard though. You could throw in a plank for core or a wall sit, maybe? Military presses or dips might be a good addition to the upper body. Probably other people would be better giving advice here than me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

Not challenge related, but we had a Halloween Zoom party at work yesterday, and it was really nice to socialize a little.

Nice! I'm glad you were able to get some fun socializing in. :) 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

I did the 2 things I had picked up to make my week special (taking a walk with a co-worker and buying clothes). Next week my things are:

• speak with one of my co-workers at least once a day
  • prepare a fake Thanksgiving dinner
  • make a transplant from my basil which is getting sick.

These are really nice, I might steal one or more of them ;).

18 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

I'm not an expert, but some kind of "bomber push up" variation makes my upper back always feel great afterwards. You could also throw in some more balancy exercises to train your stabilizer muscles, like one legged deadlifts if you wish to be your lower body routine more rounded. All in all, the best routine is the one that you will actually do, and I don't see any bit hiatus in it :).

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Edgedancer said:
22 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

As a would-be skirt wearer who just started living in a snowy place, thank you! I feel like long skirts are hard to find, where do you get them?

I go to second-hand shops & consignment shops. 

I also layer pretty well. If I'm wearing boots, I put on knee high socks & then leggings because no one can see that I'm doing it. If I'm not wearing boots, I wear ankle socks.

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Soli Deo Gloria

23 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I get mine second-hand. Good winter skirts are hard to find, new or used. If the fabric feels heavier than a "summer" skirt, it has a good chance of working. The one I'm wearing right now is corduroy and tiered. My other two really good ones have gores to give them their fullness. I have a couple of other ones with heavy fabric that aren't full. Those are fine too, but I wouldn't wear them for a day where I was outside a lot.

2 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

I go to second-hand shops & consignment shops. 

I also layer pretty well. If I'm wearing boots, I put on knee high socks & then leggings because no one can see that I'm doing it. If I'm not wearing boots, I wear ankle socks.

Thanks for the advice! I had to google some words, but now I'll be better prepared to buy my next skirt. The one I got probably won't be good enough for the coldest months.

23 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

That's not that far off what I've been doing, except that I do it all on the same day. I also struggle with bulking up leg exercises; I am doing only one (pistols) and some stretching. They are mighty hard though. You could throw in a plank for core or a wall sit, maybe? Military presses or dips might be a good addition to the upper body. Probably other people would be better giving advice here than me.

Right now the one legged squats are a killer exercise for my core. The push-ups too...

6 hours ago, Waanie said:

I'm not an expert, but some kind of "bomber push up" variation makes my upper back always feel great afterwards. You could also throw in some more balancy exercises to train your stabilizer muscles, like one legged deadlifts if you wish to be your lower body routine more rounded. All in all, the best routine is the one that you will actually do, and I don't see any bit hiatus in it :).

I didn't know the bomber push-ups! I looks like a complex exercise, I might try it next time! One legged deadlifts require dumbbells, right? I don't have good replacements at home, and I'm trying to go body-weight only for now.

My neck wasn't stiff this morning, yay! I did the leg workout today (single legged glute bridge, single legged squats and bulgarian split squats). That was a lot, I could not get 3 sets of 10 reps of each like I planned. I'm happy with it, I can reach failure on this without needing to do a ridiculous number of reps.

Warm-up, workout and stretching was quite quick, which means I should have no trouble sticking to this routine most days.

• Like 2

Current challenge