[Sloth] Running is Medicine

Hey, when you had the mystery illness, did you have rapid/elevated heart rate? I need to ask the Mantis about the metallic mouth thing but I distinctly remember him talking about his heart racing for days when he was in the thick of it. 

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

OK, looks like you are on page two now.  I guess it is probably safe to start following now

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

hey-there-hows-it-going.jpg.752ec0b8a5843b9284975c7a8431473a.jpg

• Like 1

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

On 10/30/2020 at 10:39 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

I heard this is a safe, socially acceptable place for the hurling of sledgehammers and came running!

tenor.gif?itemid=10539098

Dang.  I would love to throw sledges at cars.  

On 11/2/2020 at 7:12 PM, DJtrippyT said:

Hey, when you had the mystery illness, did you have rapid/elevated heart rate? I need to ask the Mantis about the metallic mouth thing but I distinctly remember him talking about his heart racing for days when he was in the thick of it. 

Wait.  Are you asking because you're playing the is it Covid game?  You gotta stay out of Florida.  I had an elevated heart rate, but I wouldn't call it rapid.  Probably it was always 15 beats higher than I would expect.  IIRC.  Covid seems to be hitting everyone different and I don't have it confirmed so I don't think my experience should be taken as typical.

On 11/3/2020 at 4:38 AM, WhiteGhost said:

OK, looks like you are on page two now.  I guess it is probably safe to start following now

What?  Why are people here; I'm not even doing anything?

On 11/5/2020 at 11:26 AM, Mistr said:

I'm sorry for the reason, but you running slowly this challenge gave me a chance to catch up :D 

Following.

Thanks for being here.

On 11/10/2020 at 6:33 AM, DJtrippyT said:

hey-there-hows-it-going.jpg.752ec0b8a5843b9284975c7a8431473a.jpg

Like I didn't just harass you on the book of faces.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

24 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Are you asking because you're playing the is it Covid game?  You gotta stay out of Florida.  I had an elevated heart rate, but I wouldn't call it rapid.  Probably it was always 15 beats higher than I would expect.  IIRC.  Covid seems to be hitting everyone different and I don't have it confirmed so I don't think my experience should be taken as typical.

No I’m just mentally running your symptoms against the Mantis’ to see if they compare. But yeah everyone is different. He was flat in his back for four weeks and my sister in law (Mr Axe’s sister) caught it from her son and was over it in three days. It’s just a crap shoot. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

We like the digs. Comfy couches.

• Like 4

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

But that's why. It's relaxing to be here and hang out with you. :) 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

I was about to post on Saturday, but I got bad news and it seems like all I've been doing for the longest time is posting things that get me condolences and that's no way to live your life, so I didn't post.  But here's my update in chronological order:

Did I mention before we have cleaners now since teach from home is so time consuming.  It has really helped our marraige :) 

The dryer finally got replaced.  We bought it from a Sears Outlet that was transitioning to a American Freight so they didn't have a manager for a week or two and it was a big hassle to get it exchanged, but it seems to be settled now and this one works fine.

We have a new foster dog.  A shih tzu.  She likes me and will snuggle me and let me move her around and stuff, but she growls at anyone else who gets near her unless it's on her own terms.  Kind of weird.  I wonder if she was raised by cats.  She has some tender spots that the vet needs to look at and it could be that she is in a lot of pain and doesn't trust anyone else not to make her hurt more.

My Uncle died.  He's in North Dakota and Covid is bad there.  At first there was going to be a small funeral and I wasn't invited - which is fine I don't see family much anyway - then they cancelled it altogether.  Only my Aunt and their son will witness his burial.  I feel awfully bad for my aunt, and also my dad.  My dad's parent's died when he was young and they were his legal guardians for a while.  They deserve a proper goodbye.

My stepson's partner has Covid.  She owns a couple of daycare centers and a school teacher brought in her child while she was waiting for her test results.  Now a whole bunch of staff and kids have to be at home isolated. She figures it's going to cost her about $10,000 in lost income while she still has to pay fixed costs and salaries for people in isolation.  So far her Covid is mild - just coughing and no sense of smell.  Stepson isn't sick or positive yet.

It got cold again and the furnace quit working.  We went about 24 hours without heat (we have plenty of space heaters though).  My HVAC friend jerry rigged it until he can get the right part for a proper fix.  Probably tomorrow.

Our next door neighbor fall on the ice and broke her ankle.  We haven't talked in years until the protests happened.  She called Mrs. Sloth from the hospital for a ride home.  I feel awfully bad for her that she doesn't have the social capital to get a ride home from anyone except from us.

School is going fine, but my students and I are getting bored.  It's a choice between do the same old stuff and get bored or do new stuff and lose students who don't have the band width to keep up.  Almost all of my students are home alone, or alone with siblings that they might be taking care of, and they just don't have the support they need, so I've been erring on the keep it basic side.  It's been 240 days since we've been in class.

Fitnessing - it was warm last week and I started riding my bike for running errands.  Not a ton of activity, but more than before.  About half the rides were fine and the other half left me out of breath for a spell.  I haven't run or shovelgloved yet.

Sooo... it kind of seems like a bad update, but it's not BAD bad.  It's just life stuff.  In a lot of ways we're very lucky and I know things will be fine.

Peace out Nerd Friends.

• Like 8

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Thanks for updating us.Sorry about your uncle. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I'm sorry you've been dealing with so much stress and bad news. I hope your step-son remains safe and healthy, and that his partner recovers quickly.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

Except for the dryer, I am heartily un-endorsing this week for you. I know it's just one of those weeks, but it's not fair. 

4071872b1a1607927575ea3a63d6e288.jpg.5ebd7cae91aace43a2d6d894c5704eb6.jpg

• Like 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

The stinky things stink.

Enjoy the cleaning service and the working dryer.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm sorry for your loss, Sloth. 

What age are you teaching at the moment? Is there a return to class date being touted at all?

It's nice to hear from you, I am glad there is good stuff going on too, like the marital aids of the cleaner and the clothes dryer (the real kind of marital aids).

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Sooo... it kind of seems like a bad update, but it's not BAD bad.  It's just life stuff.  In a lot of ways we're very lucky and I know things will be fine.

You’re the best. 

My country is doing absolutely shit with number of infections, probably in part because they kept schools open... but... well ideally they would have just done a better job testing and contact tracing etc- but since they didn’t I do sometimes wonder if schools being open wasn’t the best of two shitty choices. 

sorry for your loss.. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

16 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

No I’m just mentally running your symptoms against the Mantis’ to see if they compare. But yeah everyone is different. He was flat in his back for four weeks and my sister in law (Mr Axe’s sister) caught it from her son and was over it in three days. It’s just a crap shoot. 

Oh no.  Not mantis.

15 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

We like the digs. Comfy couches.

I'm glad you're comfy.

15 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

But that's why. It's relaxing to be here and hang out with you. :) 

You're welcome here any time.

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Thanks for updating us.Sorry about your uncle. 

Thank you.

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I'm sorry you've been dealing with so much stress and bad news. I hope your step-son remains safe and healthy, and that his partner recovers quickly.

Thank you.  For whatever reason, I still feel ok with everything.  The stress isn't getting to me right now.

13 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Except for the dryer, I am heartily un-endorsing this week for you. I know it's just one of those weeks, but it's not fair. 

4071872b1a1607927575ea3a63d6e288.jpg.5ebd7cae91aace43a2d6d894c5704eb6.jpg

hah.

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The stinky things stink.

Enjoy the cleaning service and the working dryer.

Thanks brother.

9 hours ago, deftona said:

I'm sorry for your loss, Sloth. 

What age are you teaching at the moment? Is there a return to class date being touted at all?

It's nice to hear from you, I am glad there is good stuff going on too, like the marital aids of the cleaner and the clothes dryer (the real kind of marital aids).

Thanks.  

Sixth grade which is 11 and 12 year olds.  They are in "phase 2" which means certain high needs students are getting services at school, but I don't know who, none of my high needs students are there at any rate.  We were going to start phase 3 which would have put more high needs students in the school and maybe preschool and kindergarten too, but the Covid rates went all to shit and I think schools are about to go back to full lock down.

heehee "marital aids".

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

You’re the best. 

My country is doing absolutely shit with number of infections, probably in part because they kept schools open... but... well ideally they would have just done a better job testing and contact tracing etc- but since they didn’t I do sometimes wonder if schools being open wasn’t the best of two shitty choices. 

sorry for your loss.. 

Thank you.

Learning from home (not home schooling) is pretty shitty for a lot of students (including Slothgirl), but schools are a transmission vector especially since people can't afford to stay home when they're sick and have to put their kids somewhere..  There's no good option.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Oh no.  Not mantis.

no, no, he had it way back in the beginning when it first hit. I'm 90% he got it from his kids; it was when our lockdown started first week in April, but they are teenage girls so they weren't locking down shit. He got tested and definitely had it so that's why I'm using him as a benchmark. It took him weeks to recover and he's pretty damn fit (but he also smokes, so that might have made it worse). 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Thank you.

Learning from home (not home schooling) is pretty shitty for a lot of students (including Slothgirl), but schools are a transmission vector especially since people can't afford to stay home when they're sick and have to put their kids somewhere..  There's no good option.

A local district just confirmed what everyone suspected, the failure rate for stay-at-home-students is far higher than for those students in class, and absenteeism is a severe problem.

• Sad 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

29 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

A local district just confirmed what everyone suspected, the failure rate for stay-at-home-students is far higher than for those students in class, and absenteeism is a severe problem.

Our province has pretty much said they will not close schools no matter how bad it gets. Their reasoning is questionable though, something about it not being a transmission spot? There are lots of other things I would close before schools either way.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

We are currently in lockdown and schools are still open. It doesn't seem to be doing much for the infection rate since we got our highest number of positive tests ever yesterday and we've been in lockdown for a week now so we should expect those numbers to start dropping. I very much doubt the science when it comes to virus transmission is sound on this - watching the infection rate graphs there is a sharp rise mid September which is when schools go back in session in England, but I really worry about huge disparities in outlook for the children who don't have supportive parents that make time and space for their learning at home. A year of little to no schooling is something that can impact these children for the rest of their lives and create even more division between socioeconomic groups, so it's right to keep the schools open as much as possible and try to limit transmission in other areas of society. 

• Like 3

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

13 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Our province has pretty much said they will not close schools no matter how bad it gets. 

Our state said that as well. Fast-forward to yesterday, and the community spread has been so bad in school buildings that they don't have enough healthy staff available to stay open. Everyone from janitors, to cafeteria personnel to teachers, is taking so much sick time, that the school district has no choice but to go to an online-only model after Thanksgiving break. The alternative is to stop school altogether.

They made sure to explain to everyone that this doesn't at all mean that school isn't safe. There are just too many sick employees for them to be able to continue regular operations.

I'm trying to imagine what it must feel like to work as a teacher in this school district, and be treated this way. 

tumblr_n7vma6M3Bp1s67vyfo4_r1_250.gif 

• Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

8 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

They made sure to explain to everyone that this doesn't at all mean that school isn't safe. There are just too many sick employees for them to be able to continue regular operations.

It's not that we're losing the war, it's just that too many of our soldiers have bullet holes in them to continue regular operations.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Angry on your Behalf 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

7 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

It's not that we're losing the war, it's just that too many of our soldiers have bullet holes in them to continue regular operations.

Something like that, yes. Frankly, my state is treating both teachers and hospital workers so poorly during this pandemic that I genuinely expect there to be a significant shortage of both in the years to come. 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

On 11/13/2020 at 10:26 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Our state said that as well. Fast-forward to yesterday, and the community spread has been so bad in school buildings that they don't have enough healthy staff available to stay open. Everyone from janitors, to cafeteria personnel to teachers, is taking so much sick time, that the school district has no choice but to go to an online-only model after Thanksgiving break. The alternative is to stop school altogether.

I looked to see if your profile says where you are from, because this is also what is happening around my area. We've got a number of schools that are now closed through at least December because so many people were in quarantine from exposure. 

I have a lot of thought on this, but won't go into a rant on your post Sloth - but I will say that I've been reading a lot of articles about how the idea of a nuclear self-sustained family is flawed and I think COVID is a great example of how we all need more support in our life.

• Like 3