[Sloth] Running is Medicine

4 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

I looked to see if your profile says where you are from, because this is also what is happening around my area. We've got a number of schools that are now closed through at least December because so many people were in quarantine from exposure. 

It doesn't. I leave hints like these now and then when I get careless, but I know better than to post that kind of information online. ;) 

11 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

I have a lot of thought on this, but won't go into a rant on your post Sloth - but I will say that I've been reading a lot of articles about how the idea of a nuclear self-sustained family is flawed and I think COVID is a great example of how we all need more support in our life.

I'm a little surprised it took a pandemic to make that obvious, to be honest. Our species has not organized itself into societies and groups within these societies because we desperately love our fellow human beings and want them to depend on us as we depend on them.... we do it because it increases our chances of survival both as individuals and as a species, not to mention how much it improves our quality of life.

The notion that if we all completely isolate ourselves from everyone outside our immediate household, we will be able continue to live happy and healthy lives with ease because all a family needs is each other is, frankly, very stupid. I would think it would require a lot of either ignorance or naivete, or a combination of the two, for someone to actually believe in such a notion.

• Like 5

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

On 11/12/2020 at 3:20 PM, DJtrippyT said:

no, no, he had it way back in the beginning when it first hit. I'm 90% he got it from his kids; it was when our lockdown started first week in April, but they are teenage girls so they weren't locking down shit. He got tested and definitely had it so that's why I'm using him as a benchmark. It took him weeks to recover and he's pretty damn fit (but he also smokes, so that might have made it worse). 

I think being fit makes it harder to recover because you know what you should be like.  If I wasn't previously a cardio-beast I probably wouldn't notice that I'm breathing hard when I cross the room because it wouldn't impact my quality of life.

On 11/12/2020 at 7:19 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

A local district just confirmed what everyone suspected, the failure rate for stay-at-home-students is far higher than for those students in class, and absenteeism is a severe problem.

My absentee rate is around 75% compared to a normal 95%.

My work completion rate is around 62% compared to 85%.  I'm not gonna fail anyone who is showing up though.

On 11/12/2020 at 7:51 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

Our province has pretty much said they will not close schools no matter how bad it gets. Their reasoning is questionable though, something about it not being a transmission spot? There are lots of other things I would close before schools either way.

A lot of places have said that schools aren't transmission spots, but I don't believe it.  Especially since that was reported before they had time to gather evidence.

On 11/13/2020 at 2:10 AM, deftona said:

We are currently in lockdown and schools are still open. It doesn't seem to be doing much for the infection rate since we got our highest number of positive tests ever yesterday and we've been in lockdown for a week now so we should expect those numbers to start dropping. I very much doubt the science when it comes to virus transmission is sound on this - watching the infection rate graphs there is a sharp rise mid September which is when schools go back in session in England, but I really worry about huge disparities in outlook for the children who don't have supportive parents that make time and space for their learning at home. A year of little to no schooling is something that can impact these children for the rest of their lives and create even more division between socioeconomic groups, so it's right to keep the schools open as much as possible and try to limit transmission in other areas of society. 

You're not wrong.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:26 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Our state said that as well. Fast-forward to yesterday, and the community spread has been so bad in school buildings that they don't have enough healthy staff available to stay open. Everyone from janitors, to cafeteria personnel to teachers, is taking so much sick time, that the school district has no choice but to go to an online-only model after Thanksgiving break. The alternative is to stop school altogether.

They made sure to explain to everyone that this doesn't at all mean that school isn't safe. There are just too many sick employees for them to be able to continue regular operations.

I'm trying to imagine what it must feel like to work as a teacher in this school district, and be treated this way. 

tumblr_n7vma6M3Bp1s67vyfo4_r1_250.gif 

Most of the schools around here are shutting down because they don't have staff any more.  Teachers in big parts of the country are used to being treated like garbage.  

On 11/13/2020 at 9:36 AM, sarakingdom said:

It's not that we're losing the war, it's just that too many of our soldiers have bullet holes in them to continue regular operations.

:( 

On 11/13/2020 at 9:46 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Something like that, yes. Frankly, my state is treating both teachers and hospital workers so poorly during this pandemic that I genuinely expect there to be a significant shortage of both in the years to come. 

I've been waiting for a wave of nurses quitting the profession.  I imagine PTSD will be a major problem after all of this is over too.

On 11/13/2020 at 7:33 PM, Xena said:

For your uncle: may his path be gentle.

I hope your family is able to get together somehow an honor him in the future, if that is something you would want to do.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I looked to see if your profile says where you are from, because this is also what is happening around my area. We've got a number of schools that are now closed through at least December because so many people were in quarantine from exposure. 

I have a lot of thought on this, but won't go into a rant on your post Sloth - but I will say that I've been reading a lot of articles about how the idea of a nuclear self-sustained family is flawed and I think COVID is a great example of how we all need more support in our life.

I think it's like that everywhere right now.

I'd throw the nuclear family on the trash heap with rugged individualism.  

3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

It doesn't. I leave hints like these now and then when I get careless, but I know better than to post that kind of information online. ;) 

I'm a little surprised it took a pandemic to make that obvious, to be honest. Our species has not organized itself into societies and groups within these societies because we desperately love our fellow human beings and want them to depend on us as we depend on them.... we do it because it increases our chances of survival both as individuals and as a species, not to mention how much it improves our quality of life.

The notion that if we all completely isolate ourselves from everyone outside our immediate household, we will be able continue to live happy and healthy lives with ease because all a family needs is each other is, frankly, very stupid. I would think it would require a lot of either ignorance or naivete, or a combination of the two, for someone to actually believe in such a notion.

You're not wrong either.

• Like 6

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Time for my weekly update where I tell you I haven't done any fitnessing.

I haven't done any fitnessing.

Not much other stuff to post about either.

Stepson and his partner still seem to be only mildly affected.  My brother-in-law has also contracted the Covid.  But his social media is full of pics out at restaurants and big family gatherings (~15 people), he’s attending a Mega-church, and he made fun of us for taking it seriously when it “isn't any worse than the flu”. So it isn't a surprise.

According to Mrs. Sloth, once every day I get surprised and say, "Whew, I'm out of breath from doing nothing.  I thought I was getting better."  Must be the Covid brain making me forgetful.

That's all I got.  Hopefully I won't have to post about the Covid again.

Peace out Nerd Friends.

• Like 9

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

7 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I've been waiting for a wave of nurses quitting the profession.  I imagine PTSD will be a major problem after all of this is over too.

It already is, for the ones who have been on the front lines from the start.

7 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Personal opinion: Any kind of determined "individualism" is a sign of privilege. Anyone who has ever faced real struggles or hardship knows that we need other people, whether we like it or not.

Individualism in quotation marks because a lot of people who praise and celebrate their own individualism are really just using it as an excuse to get away with being selfish.

• Like 6

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The thing is, even without a pandemic, the hosptial system grinds through nurses pretty quick. There's a reason you always see a lot of young nurses on a hospital floor.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I haven't done any fitnessing.

Totally makes sense.

I wondered if you've been able to get outside much (was thinking less time outside could be a side effect of not fitnessing). Sometimes that helps me feel better. Obviously it won't help your sucky lingering physical symptoms, but it might be good for the soul.

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The thing is, even without a pandemic, the hosptial system grinds through nurses pretty quick. There's a reason you always see a lot of young nurses on a hospital floor.

The public system must be easier on nurses. Here the average age seems 50, and they hang on to that seniority to the point where a "new" nurse with only 10 years experience can't get full-time hours.  I'm not sure how the pandemic will change things though. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

7 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

It already is, for the ones who have been on the front lines from the start.

Personal opinion: Any kind of determined "individualism" is a sign of privilege. Anyone who has ever faced real struggles or hardship knows that we need other people, whether we like it or not.

Individualism in quotation marks because a lot of people who praise and celebrate their own individualism are really just using it as an excuse to get away with being selfish.

I believe it.  I can't imagine how hard it is for them right now.  A nurse on twitter said something along the lines of, we're not front lines.  That makes it sound like there'reinforcements behind us.  When we fall there's no one else.

I think we're on the same page, but I'm going to push back a little on the rugged individuals not having struggled.  These rugged individuals are quite happy to accept a handout when they need it, they just don't want others to get one.  This anecdotal, but it fits my confirmation bias so Imma tell it, I have a family member who was on welfare and medicaid as a young mother who is now doing well so she posts welfare-shaming memes about the freeloaders.  

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That makes a lot of sense.  It seems like a hard thankless job in easy times.

5 hours ago, Xena said:

Totally makes sense.

I wondered if you've been able to get outside much (was thinking less time outside could be a side effect of not fitnessing). Sometimes that helps me feel better. Obviously it won't help your sucky lingering physical symptoms, but it might be good for the soul.

I'm not as much as a sad sack as I seem.  Physically I'm perfectly fine as long as I'm sedentary; I just can't rev it up.  And my mental health is really good right now.  The best it's been in a long time probably.  It might be that my introvert batteries have finally topped themselves off. 

You're right though.  If you remember this summer, I was a complete mess.  Going up to the reservation and spending a day in the wilderness gave me a hard reset and I was in a much better mental state after that.  One of my goals with running was to be able make to the river and be able to spend a little time in the woods each day.

4 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

The public system must be easier on nurses. Here the average age seems 50, and they hang on to that seniority to the point where a "new" nurse with only 10 years experience can't get full-time hours.  I'm not sure how the pandemic will change things though. 

I don't have personal experience, but even in the before times nurses were in high demand down here.  

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I think we're on the same page, but I'm going to push back a little on the rugged individuals not having struggled.  These rugged individuals are quite happy to accept a handout when they need it, they just don't want others to get one.  This anecdotal, but it fits my confirmation bias so Imma tell it, I have a family member who was on welfare and medicaid as a young mother who is now doing well so she posts welfare-shaming memes about the freeloaders.  

Fair enough. I try not to be too judgy of people who are doing well thanks to receiving a lot of help in their past who then turn around and shame others who receive that same help, largely because my opinion of people like that tends to offend and piss off normal human beings with a sense of decency. ;) 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I have an ongoing conversation with a friend of mine that we're doing it wrong the other way too - that humans are designed to be in friend/peer groups of about 7 to 9 people, max. This bullshit with "Oh I have 387 facebook friends" is crap. Which of those people is close enough to you to come drive you to the doctor when you break your foot? None. You can't give enough attention to that many people to make the relationship have any real depth. I'm not a religious person, but there's a reason Christ only had 12 disciples, and not thirty-two.

• Like 3

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

25 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

. I'm not a religious person, but there's a reason Christ only had 12 disciples, and not thirty-two.

Even within that 12 he had an inner circle of three.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

8 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Even within that 12 he had an inner circle of three.

I was thinking that there were a couple of guys on the outer edge that nobody can ever remember their names, but I didn't want to belabor the metaphor. 

• Like 1

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

2 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I was thinking that there were a couple of guys on the outer edge that nobody can ever remember their names, but I didn't want to belabor the metaphor. 

Peter, James and John were the inner three.

Simon the zealot

Matthew the Tax Collector

Thaddeus

Judas Not Iscariot

Judas Iscariot (The bad one)

Phillip

Nathaniel

Andrew (Peter's brother)

And one other I can't remember.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

And one other I can't remember

See? And it’s LITERALLY YOUR JOB

• Haha 7
  • Wow 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

Glad your mental health is staying better than usual. 

Just a thought of maybe instead of making a goal to see/check on the river the lowest stress way possible (even driving there...).

To help maintain the mental wellness and low key move your body differently by going to a different environment. 

Personfied/Comissioned Druid Avatar by EzratheButt

On 11/16/2020 at 9:00 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

amen.

On 11/17/2020 at 4:48 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I have a family member who was on welfare and medicaid as a young mother who is now doing well so she posts welfare-shaming memes about the freeloaders.  

that's just.. .. no words.. 

On 11/17/2020 at 4:48 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

And my mental health is really good right now.  The best it's been in a long time probably.  It might be that my introvert batteries have finally topped themselves off. 

:) brightness 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 11/17/2020 at 6:32 AM, DJtrippyT said:

I have an ongoing conversation with a friend of mine that we're doing it wrong the other way too - that humans are designed to be in friend/peer groups of about 7 to 9 people, max. This bullshit with "Oh I have 387 facebook friends" is crap. Which of those people is close enough to you to come drive you to the doctor when you break your foot? None. You can't give enough attention to that many people to make the relationship have any real depth. I'm not a religious person, but there's a reason Christ only had 12 disciples, and not thirty-two.

I used to keep my Fb friend's list culled to 50 people on the theory that that's the most people you can legitimately be friends with.  I used the would-I-invite-them-to-a-party test.  Which is stupid, because I wouldn't invite anyone to a party.  I'm blessed though, I think I have a lot of people who would drive me to the doctor.  Mrs. Sloth keeps having to do errands for our next door neighbor because she has no one else.

On 11/17/2020 at 11:12 AM, DJtrippyT said:

See? And it’s LITERALLY YOUR JOB

Wow.  I can't believe you called him out like that.

On 11/18/2020 at 12:02 AM, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

Glad your mental health is staying better than usual. 

Just a thought of maybe instead of making a goal to see/check on the river the lowest stress way possible (even driving there...).

To help maintain the mental wellness and low key move your body differently by going to a different environment. 

Thanks.  It's not a bad idea.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:49 PM, KB Girl said:

amen.

that's just.. .. no words.. 

:) brightness 

:)  Thank you.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

To be fair, that was the joke.

• Like 2

Time for the weekly report that I'm not fitnessing.

Two things, I'm totally fine if I'm just walking around and stuff, but I get winded easily and I'm kind of afraid to start exercising and find out how bad off I really am.  Also, even though I'm registered for races already (carried over from 2020), I don't see myself racing again and without that carrot/ stick I guess I just don't see the point.  I need a mental reset of some sort.

Except for some anxiety about the attempted judicial coup, there is no news, we are in Groundhog Day territory here.

-----------

Covid Talk - I don't blame you if you nope out here.

Stepson and his partner only ever had mild symptoms.  They are both going back to work today.

Brother-in-law passed it on to his wife, daughter and son-in-law.  They've gone dark so I have no information on how they're doing.  

My great aunt, the one I occasionally run errands for, has it and is in the hospital.  She isn't in ICU, but she's getting the super hormones.  This finally convinced my dad not to go anywhere for Thanksgiving.

We're all getting tested today simply as a precaution.  As far as we know we haven't been exposed, but the kids have been to circus and Native fitness classes and Mrs. Sloth interacts with people occasionally as part of her job.  I've tried to convince her to let me run all the errands from here on out since I've already had it, but she's hard headed.  She thinks I buy stupid stuff we don't need every time I go into a store and she's worried I'll get it again.  

Peace out and stay safe nerd friends.

• Like 6

Keeping your family in my thoughts. 
My aunt and uncle are feeling the same way you are, I hope you all see improvement soon.

Was racing really the only reason you rode your bike? No enjoyment from training? 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Two things, I'm totally fine if I'm just walking around and stuff, but I get winded easily and I'm kind of afraid to start exercising and find out how bad off I really am.  Also, even though I'm registered for races already (carried over from 2020), I don't see myself racing again and without that carrot/ stick I guess I just don't see the point.  I need a mental reset of some sort.

If it were me, I'd just enter rehab and recovery mode automatically. Covid is a slow recovery, even if you seem fine. We know this. No shame, and no reason yet to be concerned about lost ground. It's an injury, and one we know absolutely kicks the shit out of the body. I'd plan on a year of recovery training if it were me, just as if I'd had major surgery or a bad break; hopefully basically back to normal before then, but understandable if I still had some weakness or rehab to work on. It's not the flu. Your body weathered some pretty hardcore stuff to recover from that. The cardiovascular system especially, but it looks like the whole body takes a beating from covid. You're injured. Don't train injured. Don't judge yourself for your injured performance. Do your rehab, give your injury time to heal, then see where you are.

My first step would be basic (and gentle) conditioning. Just make sure the underlying machine is tuned up. Walking. Short hikes on uneven ground. Yoga. Slow, steady, often. Just gradually chipping away at whole-body endurance and strength, in a very controlled way that doesn't overtax your body in the process. Time spent on this is not wasted. This is time spent future-proofing yourself against all the invisible damage done to the body and rebuilding your conditioning and resilience, just like with any injury. Take time to enjoy doing the easy stuff; take off the pressure of feeling like there's harder stuff you "should" be doing. There's not. It's the right stuff right now.

We're all getting tested today simply as a precaution.  As far as we know we haven't been exposed, but the kids have been to circus and Native fitness classes and Mrs. Sloth interacts with people occasionally as part of her job.  I've tried to convince her to let me run all the errands from here on out since I've already had it, but she's hard headed.  She thinks I buy stupid stuff we don't need every time I go into a store and she's worried I'll get it again.  

Can you guys get delivery, or contactless pickup? Not just for your safety, but (if it helps convince her) you guys are moderately high risk for others in the store because of the kids and her job. Because you both raise good points about reducing the other's exposure risk.

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

hdLAC.gif.ccd8aa9f8c8d7a711872a334d6201ba2.gif

• Like 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

8 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

hdLAC.gif.ccd8aa9f8c8d7a711872a334d6201ba2.gif

Given that this is an animal, technically any solid white garments you own are animal print.