Jump to content

[Sloth] Running is Medicine


Recommended Posts

On 11/23/2020 at 3:01 PM, KB Girl said:

Keeping your family in my thoughts. 
My aunt and uncle are feeling the same way you are, I hope you all see improvement soon.

 

Was racing really the only reason you rode your bike? No enjoyment from training? 

 

Thanks.  I hope your family members get better soon too.

 

I love riding my bike, but there's no reason to train for just riding along because I can ride along whenever the mood strikes me whether I've trained or not.  I get no intrinsic pleasure from training, there has to be an outside purpose for me to enjoy it.  And no, living better, living longer don't motivate me.

 

On 11/23/2020 at 3:57 PM, sarakingdom said:

 

If it were me, I'd just enter rehab and recovery mode automatically. Covid is a slow recovery, even if you seem fine. We know this. No shame, and no reason yet to be concerned about lost ground. It's an injury, and one we know absolutely kicks the shit out of the body. I'd plan on a year of recovery training if it were me, just as if I'd had major surgery or a bad break; hopefully basically back to normal before then, but understandable if I still had some weakness or rehab to work on. It's not the flu. Your body weathered some pretty hardcore stuff to recover from that. The cardiovascular system especially, but it looks like the whole body takes a beating from covid. You're injured. Don't train injured. Don't judge yourself for your injured performance. Do your rehab, give your injury time to heal, then see where you are.

 

My first step would be basic (and gentle) conditioning. Just make sure the underlying machine is tuned up. Walking. Short hikes on uneven ground. Yoga. Slow, steady, often. Just gradually chipping away at whole-body endurance and strength, in a very controlled way that doesn't overtax your body in the process. Time spent on this is not wasted. This is time spent future-proofing yourself against all the invisible damage done to the body and rebuilding your conditioning and resilience, just like with any injury. Take time to enjoy doing the easy stuff; take off the pressure of feeling like there's harder stuff you "should" be doing. There's not. It's the right stuff right now.

 

Can you guys get delivery, or contactless pickup? Not just for your safety, but (if it helps convince her) you guys are moderately high risk for others in the store because of the kids and her job. Because you both raise good points about reducing the other's exposure risk.

 

We actually do most of purchasing either delivery or curb-side pick up, but there are certain thing we have to go out and about for - picking up the school lunches, swapping out learning materials for our kids, delivering learning materials for Mrs. Sloth's students, tonight we made a delivery and pick up at the hospital for our injured neighbor...  I want to do the errands so I have some time out of the house where I'm all by myself and Mrs. Sloth wants to get out and talk to other people.

 

Oh Gods, I hate yoga so much.  No, what you say actually makes a lot of sense.  A whole rehab year.  Oof.  I did pick up the kettlebells yestreday. The 16kg was massive, the 12 was too heavy, and I had to borrow Mrs.Sloth's 8 kg.  I didn't do an actual workout, I just wanted to see where I was at.  The very first steps might be simply to get my step count back up out of the sedentary zone.

 

On 11/23/2020 at 8:20 PM, Xena said:

 

Well there's that. Take the silver linings where you can get them these days.

 

Hah. Thanks.  He's going to drop off some pies tomorrow and we'll sit outside and talk.  He's at least as introverted as me, but this unending solitude has to be incredibly hard for him.

 

-------------------------------

Not much to report.  

 

I have like 9 tool boxes depending on what you include.  I finally organized them as a step toward making the basement ready for me to hermit up in.  I now have:

1. general purpose tool box

2. electrical work

3. plumbing, God forbid

4. main bike tools

5. second set of bike tools & basic tools to keep in the van

6. obsolete bike tools and useless, but cool, bike parts that I can't part with because reasons

7. tool tote with painting stuff

8. wood carving tote

9. redundant tools.

10.  A tool box of D&D mini figs and stuff.

I didn't save any space or get rid of any tool boxes, but everything is organized and when I have something to do I won't have to hunt around for the right tool and it's all in one place again.  For one year I had membership in a tool loaning society.  I think it's a great idea, both to save money and to minimize resource usage, but I've inherited a crap ton of stuff and I couldn't think of anything to borrow.  

 

Doing remote learning is a lot more time consuming than regular school - maybe it wouldn't be if I got good at it - and our union has been fighting for one asynchronous day a week and we finally got it.  So on Fridays I'll check in and out with the students and give them homework to do during the school day and then have the rest of the day for prep and paperwork.  My principal decided half of our time will be professional development.  I'm trying to be positive, but I'm naturally cynical and I'm assuming I'll end up with even more busy work that I can't keep up with.

 

In other union news, apparently they've finally decided that I will have building rights when they eliminate my position and I'll still have a job at my building.  Which is great news because I like these students (usually) and I can't imagine anyone else hiring me for an elementary job.

 

Peace out nerd friends.

  • Like 5

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Link to post
25 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

 

I love riding my bike, but there's no reason to train for just riding along because I can ride along whenever the mood strikes me whether I've trained or not.  I get no intrinsic pleasure from training, there has to be an outside purpose for me to enjoy it.  And no, living better, living longer don't motivate me.

 

I'm curious to find out if you end up riding more in the summer for pleasure in the future than you did in the summer for training in the past. The only thing I'm sad about is there will likely be no more B-movie reviews from time spent on the trainer in the basement.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

52,53,54

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to post
1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Oh Gods, I hate yoga so much. 

 

I mean, don't do stuff that's a misery, obviously. But you get the kind of idea. Low and slow, stuff that'll rebuild a foundation of fitness with an absolute minimum of stress on the body.

 

If it's of any use, Gaiam put out a set of yoga DVDs aimed at male athletes, and it's my favourite yoga ever. I also have yoga issues, but this is very practical stuff aimed at standard problem spots for people who exercise, like quads and hip openers, and not a word about chakras or tranquility. And, of the stuff I've done, an absolute minimum of downward fucking dog.

 

But yeah, do anything else if you hate it. Just go super easy, and try to get a general grounding in strength, flexibility, light cardio. Don't stress anything, no heart rates, no PRs, just a comfortable minimum challenge, and keep going. (Partly recovery strategy, and partly covid. Racing heart rates and covid aftermath, very common issue. Ease into it, your heart and lungs may need to get stronger before you do stuff that used to be normal. They may have taken a beating beyond what you'd expect.) Walk the dogs six times a day. Do some plank. Stretch a lot. Rowing machine. I don't know what the cool kids do these days.

 

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

No, what you say actually makes a lot of sense.  A whole rehab year.  Oof. 

 

I know. I'd really hope you could be back to mostly normal training long before that, like an 80/20 rule kind of thing. But people usually try to rush recovery, and I think it's better to go in with a realistic sense of the time frame. In a way, it's less frustrating, and faster, to expect some weakness to linger when it's mostly back to normal and train around it, than to lowball the time frame and overdo it. Honestly, nobody knows with covid, and the range of outcomes is so broad. It's a crap shoot. But my first guesstimate, based on the organs it seems to hit hardest and the weird shit we know now, would be about a year and then evaluate where you are. They'll know a lot more in a year, and you'll have a much clearer picture of what's going on with you. My guess is a lot of the weaknesses caused by covid are really low level heart and lung things, where you might see a lot of improvement quickly, but need a long time to fully recover, even for a lot of relatively light cases. But it's anyone's guess, you know?

 

And, heck, if you're not motivated to train normally, no harm in doing a rehab year. ;) Slack off in the name of health!

 

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The very first steps might be simply to get my step count back up out of the sedentary zone.

 

Not a bad choice. And I'm there with you, lockdown really cut off my exercise dramatically. On a good day, I'm walking a mile or two, which sort of hits the minimum recommendation, but it's not what I want it to be.

  • Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Link to post
17 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I love riding my bike, but there's no reason to train for just riding along because I can ride along whenever the mood strikes me whether I've trained or not.  I get no intrinsic pleasure from training, there has to be an outside purpose for me to enjoy it.  And no, living better, living longer don't motivate me.

 

Fair enough! 

So no racing again ever? or just for the foreseeable pandemicy future? 

 

I very much agree with what @sarakingdom had to say about rehab, but if the living better/longer doesn't motivate you and there are no races, then what are you rehabbing for? 

I'm 8 months into my year of rehab, I'd offer to share my program, but... ?  

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Link to post
On 11/24/2020 at 10:55 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm curious to find out if you end up riding more in the summer for pleasure in the future than you did in the summer for training in the past. The only thing I'm sad about is there will likely be no more B-movie reviews from time spent on the trainer in the basement.

 

Based on years when I didn't race, I'll ride less because I can always do it tomorrow and I'll get fat.  Who knows, maybe I'll get better and ramp up my training.

 

On 11/24/2020 at 11:43 PM, sarakingdom said:

 

I mean, don't do stuff that's a misery, obviously. But you get the kind of idea. Low and slow, stuff that'll rebuild a foundation of fitness with an absolute minimum of stress on the body.

 

If it's of any use, Gaiam put out a set of yoga DVDs aimed at male athletes, and it's my favourite yoga ever. I also have yoga issues, but this is very practical stuff aimed at standard problem spots for people who exercise, like quads and hip openers, and not a word about chakras or tranquility. And, of the stuff I've done, an absolute minimum of downward fucking dog.

 

But yeah, do anything else if you hate it. Just go super easy, and try to get a general grounding in strength, flexibility, light cardio. Don't stress anything, no heart rates, no PRs, just a comfortable minimum challenge, and keep going. (Partly recovery strategy, and partly covid. Racing heart rates and covid aftermath, very common issue. Ease into it, your heart and lungs may need to get stronger before you do stuff that used to be normal. They may have taken a beating beyond what you'd expect.) Walk the dogs six times a day. Do some plank. Stretch a lot. Rowing machine. I don't know what the cool kids do these days.

 

 

I know. I'd really hope you could be back to mostly normal training long before that, like an 80/20 rule kind of thing. But people usually try to rush recovery, and I think it's better to go in with a realistic sense of the time frame. In a way, it's less frustrating, and faster, to expect some weakness to linger when it's mostly back to normal and train around it, than to lowball the time frame and overdo it. Honestly, nobody knows with covid, and the range of outcomes is so broad. It's a crap shoot. But my first guesstimate, based on the organs it seems to hit hardest and the weird shit we know now, would be about a year and then evaluate where you are. They'll know a lot more in a year, and you'll have a much clearer picture of what's going on with you. My guess is a lot of the weaknesses caused by covid are really low level heart and lung things, where you might see a lot of improvement quickly, but need a long time to fully recover, even for a lot of relatively light cases. But it's anyone's guess, you know?

 

And, heck, if you're not motivated to train normally, no harm in doing a rehab year. ;) Slack off in the name of health!

 

 

Not a bad choice. And I'm there with you, lockdown really cut off my exercise dramatically. On a good day, I'm walking a mile or two, which sort of hits the minimum recommendation, but it's not what I want it to be.

 

Thanks for all the good advice.

 

22 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Fair enough! 

So no racing again ever? or just for the foreseeable pandemicy future? 

 

I very much agree with what @sarakingdom had to say about rehab, but if the living better/longer doesn't motivate you and there are no races, then what are you rehabbing for? 

I'm 8 months into my year of rehab, I'd offer to share my program, but... ?  

 

I'm registered for 2021 races and I just got a notification that one of my favorite races was about to open up registration and I'm considering signing up and seeing what happens.  So it's not that I don't want to race, it's that I don't realistically seeing myself as being able to get into race shape until I'm able to breath hard again.

 

That's the rub isn't it.   

 

 

-----------------------

 

Happy Thanksgiving to my American Friends!  And to my non-American Friends, enjoy your day of no gluttony.

 

Nothing much to report.  I seem to be having a relapse of some sort.  Blood oxygen dropped to 91%, but went back to 95% with the inhaler and all I want to do is sleep these last couple of days.

 

Tapatalk isn't connecting to NF, which is really irritating, because I don't want to sit in front of a computer on my day off.

 

I'm thankful for all y'all.  I appreciate your support during these dreary days of not fitnessing.

 

Peace out.

  • Like 6

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Link to post
2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

So it's not that I don't want to race, it's that I don't realistically seeing myself as being able to get into race shape until I'm able to breath hard again.

Any chance at getting support from a physiotherapist in this? My uncle is getting help from a physio who specialises in COPD, which seems to be very applicable. 

I don't know wether I should even mention this because I foresee health insurance issues.. but.. well it would be nice to have someone do the thinking for you in this, right? 

 

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'm thankful for all y'all.  I appreciate your support during these dreary days of not fitnessing.

 

❤️ 

  • Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Link to post

Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving and hope the rest of the year is at least marginally better for you than it has been so far

  • Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

 

Link to post
On 11/26/2020 at 4:45 PM, KB Girl said:

Any chance at getting support from a physiotherapist in this? My uncle is getting help from a physio who specialises in COPD, which seems to be very applicable. 

I don't know wether I should even mention this because I foresee health insurance issues.. but.. well it would be nice to have someone do the thinking for you in this, right? 

 

❤️

 

Thanks.  This was the path I was going down.  The last specialist cost $420 and it looked like would be that much per visit going forward until I hit my max. out of pocket so I quit pursuing it.  I may try again after the new year when our insurance company changes.  Yes, it would be nice not to have to think.

 

On 11/27/2020 at 2:40 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving and hope the rest of the year is at least marginally better for you than it has been so far

 

Thanks brother.  It's been a heck of a year hasn't it?  On my end it was pretty chill, I realistically thought I was going to be fit enough to start road racing again and then a whole lot of stuff happened.  We'll see where it goes from here.

 

 

_________________________

 

I can get back on Tapatalk and things look a bit different around here.  2020 is looking up.

 

Challenge wrap up:  I didn't run or shovelglove.  I'm ok with that.  I kept working (although I'm drowning more than a little), I've kept up with my own kids schooling, and I've done my part as a member of this family.  These are non-negotiable and I did them.  That's enough right now.  This makes me sound like I'm much more of a sad sack than I really am.  I'm honestly fine, I just need a nap and can't get too physical.  In the realm of chronic conditions that's not too bad and I assume it'll get better.  

 

Tired Good Night GIF

This is me, but mostly I wanted to try out the gif button.  Well, it's not me right now, because I just had a two hour nap, but you know...

 

I was going to drag my carcass back to the battle logs to lick my wounds, but I like the cross-guild solstice challenge when folks from all over come around.  So Imma put up my sad sack challenge there.

 

Peace out nerd friends - thanks for all of the support.

  • Like 7

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Link to post
20 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Peace out nerd friends - thanks for all of the support.

 

Like you wouldn't do it for any of us?  Which is why you don't need to thank us, of course. Duh. :) 

  • Thanks 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines