DoubleTrouble starts the journey to a back handspring

Main quests

- Maintain strength/flexibility in non-backhandspring related areas. In previous challenges, I let some non-challenge aspects of my fitness slide, and that's not going to work long-term. I want to be able to do a backhandspring AND all the stuff I can currently do, not either/or.

- Work on things that will eventually lead to a backhandspring. I'm currently considering the continuous kip up route, since my knee doesn't like side to side movements at the moment (which is needed for cartwheels/macacos).

Background quests (solid/mostly solid habits)

Run 2X a week

giphy.gif

• Like 2
18 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

I'm currently considering the continuous kip up route, since my knee doesn't like side to side movements at the moment (which is needed for cartwheels/macacos).

That looks interesting - it's got a built-in failsafe if you feel like you didn't quite make it. I like his discussion about landing in a wide stance, too - when I was trying for the kip-up in parkour class, I could never get my core high enough to push up into standing. 

Following again! For many various types of awesome. :)

• Like 1
On 10/26/2020 at 8:33 AM, Manarelle said:

That looks interesting - it's got a built-in failsafe if you feel like you didn't quite make it. I like his discussion about landing in a wide stance, too - when I was trying for the kip-up in parkour class, I could never get my core high enough to push up into standing. 

Following again! For many various types of awesome. :)

I feel like the journey to learning this will be the foundation for a lot of stuff in the future. Exciting!

On 10/26/2020 at 12:18 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Those goals are great, very excited to see your progress on these

It might take a while haha

On 10/26/2020 at 2:57 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Interesting BHS progression indeed. Cool stuff!

Yeah! I don't think I've seen anyone else (youtube or otherwise) teach it this way

On 10/27/2020 at 9:57 AM, raptron said:

This is one the most... unique ways I've heard of someone learning a back handspring, haha. GOOD LUCK! Take care of your shoulders with movements like that for sure. 

His background is breakdancing and his shoulders are super strong, so it worked for him. I'm not that strong so I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the support!

------------

I've broken down my goals some more:

Maintenance

-Deadlifts/hamstring curls/leg extension. Maintain 10 reps (not sure what the weights are for each but its not much)

-Rows/chinups/pullups. Maintain 1 climb up, 1 full BW row

-Kongs/dive kongs?

BHS related stuff

-Comfortable bridge. I'm just going to go by feel on this one. It shouldn't take a lot of effort to do a bridge

-Bridge push ups

-Elevated bridge push ups

-Handstand pushups to neck/upper back?

-Roll to kip up

Did 100 kongs on Monday to start off, probably a bit much but I recovered fine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG5zro6gDNL/

The link isn't embedding. Oh well

• Like 3
8 hours ago, @mu said:

Super interesting! I have quite a lot of fear with all those dynamic movements, this progression looks enticing!

His channel is full of progressions like that one. He takes one movement and progresses it into another. The downside is that the end movement isn't always what's considered good form in gymnastics.

----------

17 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

I recovered fine

I spoke too soon, my forearms are too sore to push off anything. Sigh

More BHS goals:

Wide arm(?) handstand to bridge

Front handsprings

Did some running precisions yesterday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG7vrZ2gJBo/

• Like 2
On 10/29/2020 at 7:51 PM, Manarelle said:

Boooooooooo. 100 kongs is a LOT though. Maybe a bit slower of an ease-in. How are the knees doing?

Yeah that was too much volume, if I did less but on more days, I would have been better off. Knees are ok for certain movements and not ok for others. In general, going forward/backward is fine, but turning/sideways movement is not.

------

I pulled something in my upper back randomly during the day doing a stretch. Not an actual stretch, but one of those where you get up after sitting for a while and reach the arms up. Figured I couldn't do much jumping so I ran 9K instead. I was going for 10 but I didn't do the math properly when I planned the route.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 10/31/2020 at 10:09 AM, DoubleTrouble said:

Yeah that was too much volume, if I did less but on more days, I would have been better off. Knees are ok for certain movements and not ok for others. In general, going forward/backward is fine, but turning/sideways movement is not.

------

I pulled something in my upper back randomly during the day doing a stretch. Not an actual stretch, but one of those where you get up after sitting for a while and reach the arms up. Figured I couldn't do much jumping so I ran 9K instead. I was going for 10 but I didn't do the math properly when I planned the route.

Aw, take care of the you. I totally get the wanting to do round numbers but the world not playing nice. :D

• Like 1
On 11/1/2020 at 6:05 PM, juliebarkley said:

Thanks for reminding me I want to learn to do a kip-up at some point. I always get tempted by the shiny tempting moves I can't do when I visit your thread (which is part of the reason I follow, of course. :P )

Do eeet. But the non-shiny stuff like conditioning, stretching, and basic skills is probably more important

On 11/3/2020 at 3:30 PM, Manarelle said:

Aw, take care of the you. I totally get the wanting to do round numbers but the world not playing nice. :D

Its much better now. Forearms are working again too

-------------

I did an easier version of leg day, some jumps, some wallruns, and some more jumps, on four separate days. With a rest day after the leg day. Working towards the back handspring is only a small part of my weekly training. I foam rolled my abs and did a bridge or two, and tried tilting it back and forth sideways to explore what that felt like.

Here are the wallruns, not very smooth since I haven't done them in ages:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHL8V2SghNj/

• Like 3

Ah, this is such an interesting way to learn a backhandspring! My gymnastics brain is like "NO, WHAT," but in terms of actually being able to progress towards the movement in a way that is safe at every step of the way and doesn't require special equipment or a spotter, it actually looks really smart!

• Like 1
On 11/4/2020 at 6:06 PM, DoubleTrouble said:

Here are the wallruns, not very smooth since I haven't done them in ages:

Is it harder to do parkour in heavier winter gear? I'd worry about gloves slipping, but I guess if you've got the grip strength it's probably not a huge deal. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, tei_ said:

Ah, this is such an interesting way to learn a backhandspring! My gymnastics brain is like "NO, WHAT," but in terms of actually being able to progress towards the movement in a way that is safe at every step of the way and doesn't require special equipment or a spotter, it actually looks really smart!

It's interesting but I do wonder though how well it would work for people that are not super explosive with awesome shoulder strength. 

Glad your back's better. :) 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

It's interesting but I do wonder though how well it would work for people that are not super explosive with awesome shoulder strength. 

It's true-- in the video there's a step which involves something halfway in between a back handspring and a macaco where he's more or less doing it onto his head with bent arms, which... is probably best left to people who are extremely comfortable with movements involving the head and protecting the neck from injury with just the right amount of arm pressure.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Is it harder to do parkour in heavier winter gear? I'd worry about gloves slipping, but I guess if you've got the grip strength it's probably not a huge deal. 

It is at first, but after a while it's not. I haven't had a glove slip yet (as far as I can remember), feet slipping is more of an issue. Gloves make it harder to grip walls so I end up changing my style to more rail based stuff.

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Glad your back's better. :) 

Stay tuned to find out! Maybe

Thanks!

3 hours ago, tei_ said:

It's true-- in the video there's a step which involves something halfway in between a back handspring and a macaco where he's more or less doing it onto his head with bent arms, which... is probably best left to people who are extremely comfortable with movements involving the head and protecting the neck from injury with just the right amount of arm pressure.

Yeah... I don't really plan on doing that particular step. I'll do prep work for it though, just in case

Maybe I should write my will before attempting this move

-----

Did leg day and also tried falling back into a bridge. It went well, its like a sissy squat with arm support at the end:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHQ2f4qgBi9/

• Like 2
On 11/7/2020 at 4:53 AM, DoubleTrouble said:

Did leg day and also tried falling back into a bridge. It went well, its like a sissy squat with arm support at the end:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHQ2f4qgBi9/

I want to be able to do those but I am too scared.  I keep thinking I am not going to get my hands down in a position to provide support and will either land on my head or land on my finger tips and break all my fingers :D 

• Like 2
On 11/8/2020 at 1:53 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I want to be able to do those but I am too scared.  I keep thinking I am not going to get my hands down in a position to provide support and will either land on my head or land on my finger tips and break all my fingers :D 

Having a good eccentric sissy squat makes it a lot easier

-------------

Did some upper body pulling, including the exercise mentioned on @Vidd's thread, and some rolls.

I'm really liking this method of not being overly focused on one move, but to work on different things. I don't have the pressure of doing a move within a certain time frame like I did with the frontflip and backflip challenges, and that's very relieving. As long as I do what I can each week, I'll eventually get to the back handspring.

Finally bought a foam roller so I don't have to use an empty paint can anymore! This will be very useful for the back handspring, to foam roll my torso.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHdVoeYgx8o/

• Like 4

Holy crap that is some really amazing core stabilization and pulling strength. You looked as good as the guy in the video I posted did. Now I'm even more motivated to get this down. I'm trying it again tonight wish me luck!

Yeah I'm in the same boat I started off with each of my challenges being hyper focused on just one skill but its nice to be able to more organically go after a skill that draws your attention as the challenge goes on. Maybe some day I'll return to a more focused approach but I'm really liking the freedom to explore

• Like 2

Went to the beach on a rainy day since I could have the whole place to myself.

The main things I worked on were a backroll to handstand to front roll combo, a modified kip up drill, and front handsprings.

I felt my shoulder hurt a bit on one of the kip up drills, so I know I need to do some more conditioning first before trying that again.

I had a lot of footage but not enough time to go through it all, so here are some quick clips of clean attempts (there were failed attempts too, as always):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHrTGkggQUQ/

• Like 3