Jupiter Finds Some Zen

Jupiter

12 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I'm late, but I'm here!  I love this zen challenge!!!

Yay, glad you're here! And thanks! :) 

2 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

I've never read any space opera, but I have checked some of the recommandations from both of you and I think I might give it a try! 

Awesome! It's a fun genre. :) 

I ended up running errands most of the day so I didn't do much with my goals today. I did get in 50 minutes of walking with all my running around at least (though I didn't find everything I was looking for unfortunately). Later I managed to work on my outline for around 2 hours. I got in two more plot points, fleshed out some of the others, and shifted one or two things around, then worked on some character stuff. I think I'm finally figuring this side character out. Also wrote on the other novel idea for about 30 minutes. I put on some of that mellow pop music by Illenium and got into a good groove right off and didn't have any trouble. I almost didn't do anything at all though, I was so tired after all the errands, but I made some black tea and that seemed to help wake me up, though I'm not sure if it was the tea itself or just the act of getting up and making the tea. Maybe both. Anyway, I found this black tea at the store, vanilla bean macaron. It's pretty good and satisfies my sweet tooth just enough, especially when I add a small packet of sugar. Yum. Anyway, all in all a productive, Zen day. 

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I ended up running errands most of the day so I didn't do much with my goals today. I did get in 50 minutes of walking with all my running around at least (though I didn't find everything I was looking for unfortunately). Later I managed to work on my outline for around 2 hours. I got in two more plot points, fleshed out some of the others, and shifted one or two things around, then worked on some character stuff. I think I'm finally figuring this side character out. Also wrote on the other novel idea for about 30 minutes. I put on some of that mellow pop music by Illenium and got into a good groove right off and didn't have any trouble. I almost didn't do anything at all though, I was so tired after all the errands, but I made some black tea and that seemed to help wake me up, though I'm not sure if it was the tea itself or just the act of getting up and making the tea. Maybe both. Anyway, I found this black tea at the store, vanilla bean macaron. It's pretty good and satisfies my sweet tooth just enough, especially when I add a small packet of sugar. Yum. Anyway, all in all a productive, Zen day. 

Nice! Errands can be so exhaustive sometimes, I'm glad that you managed to come out whole on the other side ;).

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Waanie said:

Nice! Errands can be so exhaustive sometimes, I'm glad that you managed to come out whole on the other side ;).

Thanks! :) 

3 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Yummmy

Very. :) 

• Like 1

Welp, it's the start of a new week. I've updated my goals slightly so hopefully they will work a bit better this week. Here we go: 

Zen for the body:

Fitness:

- Strength training 2 sets Mon/Fri -- 0/2 

- Yoga between 10 and 30 minutes Sun -- 1/1 -- Moved yoga to Sundays, since Saturdays always seem to be my running around days. Did a quick 10 minute no hands yoga video this morning, the same one I used on Thursday. I like it. 

- Stretch 5 minutes Wed --  0/1 -- Changed this one to once a week. I don't seem to get much done goals-wise on Wednesdays but adding this one thing should be okay. 

Nutrition:

- Healthy breakfast 3 days -- 1/3 -- Banana nut oatmeal and a banana. Yum. 

- Cook dinner Sun/Tues/Thurs -- 1/3 -- I couldn't decide what I wanted to make for dinner so I whipped up a quick breakfast sandwich and had it with my last banana. 

Zen for the mind:

Intellectual:

- Outline 30 minutes 4-5 days -- 1/5 -- Had trouble with this today. I fleshed out a few other plot points a little more and added bits and pieces of other plot points, but it felt like pulling teeth. I'm not sure where any of them should go and they all need some serious fleshing out. I don't like any of them either but I'm not sure what to replace them with yet, if anything. 

- Write 30 minutes, 5-6 days -- 1/6 -- Changed this to 30 minutes a day instead of an hour, as that seems to be a bit more manageable right now. Still, today was not a good writing day. I only got in a few small paragraphs and like the outline, it felt like pulling teeth the whole time. This has made me a bit crabby, so not much Zen to be had today unfortunately. 

- Research 30 minutes to 1 hour 2 days -- 0/2 -- Changed this one to 2 days. I will mostly be doing this on the weekend, though it didn't happen today because my brain just didn't want to work. 

- Meditate 3-5 minutes 3-5 days -- 0/5 

- Read 30 minutes (or more) 7 days -- 1/7 -- Haven't done this yet but will be doing so in a few minutes. 

Miscellaneous:

- Take breaks -- 0/5

- Log out -- 0/5

Anyway, that's all I've got. 

• Like 3
On 10/31/2020 at 11:42 PM, Jupiter said:

Later I managed to work on my outline for around 2 hours. I got in two more plot points, fleshed out some of the others, and shifted one or two things around, then worked on some character stuff. I think I'm finally figuring this side character out. Also wrote on the other novel idea for about 30 minutes. I put on some of that mellow pop music by Illenium and got into a good groove right off and didn't have any trouble. I almost didn't do anything at all though, I was so tired after all the errands, but I made some black tea and that seemed to help wake me up, though I'm not sure if it was the tea itself or just the act of getting up and making the tea

Nice job on the writing goals!!   I wish I could bottle some of your discipline (because I have NONE)

On 10/31/2020 at 11:42 PM, Jupiter said:

Anyway, I found this black tea at the store, vanilla bean macaron. It's pretty good and satisfies my sweet tooth just enough, especially when I add a small packet of sugar. Yum. Anyway, all in all a productive, Zen day. 

I'm jealous of your tea.  very jealous.

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Oi, this week is going to be crazy. I came in to around 20 "ready" status files, which is nuts. No one can do that many in a day. Or even two. I couldn't even ask for help because everyone else is dealing with the same amount of craziness. I stressed about it all morning, until by the afternoon I was just too tired to care. By that point my mindset was, "There's no way I'm getting them all done in a timely manner, so you know what, whatever". So, not quite Zen, but not, not Zen either, I guess. Anyway, because I was so tired I ended up doing everything out of order today. I got through most everything except meditation. That I just never got around to. Anyway, stats:  

Zen for the body:

Fitness:

- Strength training 2 sets Mon/Fri -- 1/2 -- Gah, this continues to be harder than it should be. Maybe I'm not eating enough beforehand again. 

- Yoga between 10 and 30 minutes Sun -- 1/1 

- Stretch 5 minutes Wed --  0/1 

Nutrition:

- Healthy breakfast 3 days -- 1/3 

- Cook dinner Sun/Tues/Thurs -- 1/3 

Zen for the mind:

Intellectual:

- Outline 30 minutes 4-5 days -- 2/5 -- This went smoother today. I added another plot point and a half. Though now I'm feeling a bit stuck. There are a couple of directions the story can go at this point. I have some ideas, but I can't decide which one is the best one. 

- Write 30 minutes, 5-6 days -- 2/6 -- Also went smoother today. Almost didn't do it at all, but I forced my butt in the chair and got out some words. I felt a bit disconnected from the story though. 

- Research 30 minutes to 1 hour 2 days -- 0/2 

- Read 30 minutes (or more) 7 days -- 2/7 -- Read for an hour or so. 

Miscellaneous:

- Take breaks -- 1/5 -- Made sure to take both breaks today, no matter how crazy busy I was. 

- Log out -- .5/5 -- Eh, didn't quite make it with this one, but I logged out earlier than I normally would have, so it's a partial point.  

Not bad for a Monday all things considered. And now off to bed before I fall over. Thank you for your comments, I'll respond tomorrow. :) 

• Like 3
On 11/2/2020 at 10:41 AM, Countess D'If said:

Happy Monday. Good job reevaluating the goals! Get it!

Thanks! :) 

On 11/2/2020 at 6:11 PM, Novaurora said:

Nice job on the writing goals!!   I wish I could bottle some of your discipline (because I have NONE)

Thanks! And LOL, I don't know, I feel like I don't have nearly enough discipline. 

On 11/2/2020 at 6:11 PM, Novaurora said:

I'm jealous of your tea.  very jealous.

LOL. :) Depending on where you're at, you can probably find it at the grocery store. It's the Tazo brand. 

10 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Wow, crazy work day! You did your best...forget about the rest. That's my motto.

--strength training--how's your protein intake?

That's a good motto, I may have to steal it. ;) 

Now that I think about it, my protein intake's been pretty minimal lately. Maybe that's my problem. 

• Like 2

Today was much the same as yesterday, only this time I had quite a few people asking me where their files were, which definitely caused some stress. Had to tell almost everyone that it wasn't happening today and was otherwise just too tired to care about any of it, so I don't think that really counts as being Zen. Also heard about one of my favorite authors passing away over the weekend, which just freaking sucks. Can 2020 end already? Anyway, stats:  

Zen for the body:

Fitness:

- Strength training 2 sets Mon/Fri -- 1/2 

Nutrition:

- Healthy breakfast 3 days -- 1/3 

- Cook dinner Sun/Tues/Thurs -- 2/3 -- Had some fresh chicken I needed to cook, so added some salt and pepper and threw it in the oven. Warmed up some frozen veggies with it and voila. Easy dinner. 

Zen for the mind:

Intellectual:

- Outline 30 minutes 4-5 days -- 3/5 -- Added another plot point and fleshed out another one. I think a definite direction is forming, I just need to think about it some more. 

- Write 30 minutes, 5-6 days -- 2.5/6 -- Struggled with this today. Didn't help that I was a bit distracted by watching the election results. 

- Read 30 minutes (or more) 7 days -- 3/7 -- Read for 30 minutes-ish. 

Miscellaneous:

- Take breaks -- 1/5 

- Log out -- 1/5 -- Same as yesterday, logged out later than I wanted to, but at least I didn't stay logged in for too long. 

Anyway, I'm so, so tired, so I'm aiming for an early bed time tonight. Night nerds. 

• Like 2

I am definitely not eating enough, because the last two days have been miserable. That and too many people at work have been jumping down my throat constantly for their files, and then those same files have to be redone because someone else didn't do their job right. Ugh. The only thing I looked forward to was d&d last night, but even then I was so tired that I kind of zoned out for a few minutes at the precise moment someone started talking to me and it took me a few minutes to realize what was happening. I feel so bad about it. Finally today I broke down and stuffed my face with all the junk food I had left. And I have to do my bloodwork tomorrow. Oi. Anyway, stats:

Zen for the body:

Fitness:

- Strength training 2 sets Mon/Fri -- 1/2 

- Stretch 5 minutes Wed --  1/1 -- Almost completely forgot about this, but I remembered right before d&d and got in a few minutes of wrist stretches.  

Nutrition:

- Healthy breakfast 3 days -- 2/3 -- Had banana nut oatmeal this morning. I think I'm getting tired of it already though, which means I need to switch. Good thing I got a sampler box with a couple different flavors. 

- Cook dinner Sun/Tues/Thurs -- 2/3 

Some fruit and veggies were had yesterday and today, so at least I got in some healthy things amidst the junk food. 

Zen for the mind:

Intellectual:

- Outline 30 minutes 4-5 days -- 4.5/5 -- Meh, didn't get a whole lot of points written either yesterday or today, just fleshed out a few I already had. Did more thinking than anything else. 

- Write 30 minutes, 5-6 days -- 4.5/6 -- Struggled again yesterday. I don't like this scene much now, it doesn't make much sense now that the ideas are on paper. I've come up with a better one, but I'll have to rewrite almost the entire scene. Gah. This is what I get for not doing an outline first. Anyway, took a break from it and switched back to the short story. I've been stuck on the last half for like a month, but I have some good ideas for it now so hopefully I can finally finish this thing. 

- Read 30 minutes (or more) 7 days -- 5/7 -- Read for about an hour both days. 

Miscellaneous:

- Take breaks -- 2.5/5 -- Only took 1 break yesterday but I managed to take 2 today, out of sheer necessity. 

- Log out -- 2/5 -- I was fed up today so I logged out pretty much exactly on time. 

Anyway, that's all I've got. 

• Like 3

I don't think I like your co-workers; they need to learn to chill.

I hate that moment where I'm spacing out and suddenly realize someone's been talking to me; hopefully they were understanding. Happens to everyone sometimes.

• Like 2

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time, and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Whisper shows  up on Time

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Whisper said:

I hate that moment where I'm spacing out and suddenly realize someone's been talking to me; hopefully they were understanding. Happens to everyone sometimes.

I don't like them either.

I space out too. Mainly when I haven't slept well.

• Like 4

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

Yesterday was fairly quiet thank goodness. I didn't get as much done as I was hoping though because I was so, so tired. And I was fasting so I could get my bloodwork done after work, and all I could think about was food the whole day. I almost didn't make it, but I promised myself a burger, fries and milkshake afterwards if I held out so I powered through. That's one more doctor's appointment checked off my list for the year. Also, my supervisor is back to pushing me to do more overtime. But honestly, what's the point? No matter how many files I get done they'll just give me more and more work which will require more and more overtime hours. And I'm just so done with that cycle. I feel like I do more than enough already. Besides, if I do any more overtime hours I will tear my hair out and I happen to like my hair. 

Anyway, yesterday and today I really didn't do much. I was too tired. I am, however, now caught up on The Mandelorian season 2. So there's that. Anyway, stats:

Zen for the body:

Fitness:

- Strength training 2 sets Mon/Fri -- 2/2 -- Did strength training yesterday and added a few extra reps, but I think it was a few extra reps too many, because I was really sore this morning. 

- Stretch 5 minutes Wed --  1/1 

Nutrition:

- Healthy breakfast 3 days -- 3/3 -- Had maple brown sugar oatmeal. I wanted the cream of wheat version but they didn't have it at the store when I went last. The cream of wheat version is way better. 😕 

- Cook dinner Sun/Tues/Thurs -- 2/3 

No fruit or veggies in the last two days, but honestly that's okay. 

Zen for the mind:

Intellectual:

- Outline 30 minutes 4-5 days -- 5/5 -- Didn't do much with this, just fleshed out a plot point a little bit today. At least I did something, and I reached my goal anyway. 

- Write 30 minutes, 5-6 days -- 4.5/6 

- Read 30 minutes (or more) 7 days -- 7/7 -- Read more than an hour both days. 

Miscellaneous:

- Take breaks -- 2.5/5 -- Didn't take any breaks since I had to leave early. 

- Log out -- 3/5 -- Left early and didn't look back. 

Hmm, not where I wanted my numbers this week, but overall not too bad all things considered. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Also, my supervisor is back to pushing me to do more overtime. But honestly, what's the point? No matter how many files I get done they'll just give me more and more work which will require more and more overtime hours. And I'm just so done with that cycle. I feel like I do more than enough already. Besides, if I do any more overtime hours I will tear my hair out and I happen to like my hair. 

I don't think I like your supervisor very much.

• Like 5

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

Me neither. More hours does not equal more productivity. They're still living with a 20th century mentality, and it's going to drive one of their key employees to a burnout. Besides being bad for people, that's just overall bad business. So, there you have it.

In any case, take care < 3

• Like 5

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

On 11/8/2020 at 8:37 AM, Aθena said:

Me neither. More hours does not equal more productivity. They're still living with a 20th century mentality, and it's going to drive one of their key employees to a burnout. Besides being bad for people, that's just overall bad business. So, there you have it.

I agree. Your supervisor's priorities and mind set are bass akwards.

• Like 3
On 11/8/2020 at 9:37 AM, Aθena said:

Me neither. More hours does not equal more productivity.

The opposite, actually. The brain works best when it can go into rest mode at regular intervals. I'm pretty sure there's been multiple studies about this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

On 11/5/2020 at 8:39 PM, Whisper said:

On 11/6/2020 at 8:48 AM, fitnessgurl said:

I don't like them either.

Yeah, I really wish they would. 

On 11/5/2020 at 8:39 PM, Whisper said:

Yeah. They were fine, I just feel bad because I don't want them to think I was ignoring them or not enjoying the game or anything like that. 

On 11/6/2020 at 8:48 AM, fitnessgurl said:

I space out too. Mainly when I haven't slept well.

Yeah, it can be rough. 

On 11/8/2020 at 9:27 AM, Scaly Freak said:

I don't think I like your supervisor very much.

Yeah. Some days she helps me a lot (or she has lately at least), and other days she gets super pushy with me, so sometimes I like her and sometimes I don't. 

On 11/8/2020 at 9:37 AM, Aθena said:

6 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

The opposite, actually. The brain works best when it can go into rest mode at regular intervals. I'm pretty sure there's been multiple studies about this.

Don't tell these guys that, LOL. Most everyone I know here works long hours with very few breaks, if any. I know I've hit burnout before because of this, and especially with everything going on right now and with how much work we have, I know of a few other people who have either also hit burnout or have regular meltdowns. Fun times. Anyway, thank you Athena. :) 

6 hours ago, Countess D'If said:

I agree. Your supervisor's priorities and mind set are bass akwards.

Yup, pretty much. 

• Like 2

Meh, super tired tonight, so I'm going to try to be quick. Okay, Sunday. Got lots done. Did 3 loads of laundry, cleaned, switched out the summer bedsheets for winter bedsheets finally and was otherwise productive. Didn't get to everything on my list but I didn't feel too bad about not doing those things. All in all, a good, productive Zen day. 

On to Monday. Today was apparently a "let's do everything last minute" day. Had a couple of files that had last minute changes (one within like 10 minutes of a deadline for crying out loud), and some of it just didn't get done in time. One was partially on me. I'm not familiar with these types of files so I messed something up and it had to be redone, though they didn't tell me it needed to be fixed until the last minute, and I missed the deadline and people were upset. We got it all figured out and the deadline got moved to tomorrow, but still, it was a bit of a mess to figure out. Also, this has no relation to anything, but now that it's getting colder, my dog keeps commandeering my spot on the couch. So not fair. Anyway, stats for the last two days:

Zen for the body:

Fitness:

- Strength training 2 sets Mon/Fri -- 1/2 -- Got through strength training today but it's still harder than normal right now. 

- Yoga between 10 and 30 minutes Sun -- 0/1 

Nutrition:

- Healthy breakfast 3 days -- 1/3 -- Made scrambled eggs. Quick and easy. 

- Cook dinner Sun/Tues/Thurs -- 1/3 -- Made popcorn chicken and warmed up some frozen veggies. Cooked twice in one day. Score. 

Zen for the mind:

Intellectual:

- Outline 30 minutes 4-5 days -- 1/5 -- Spent a good bit of time on this yesterday, though I didn't get much actual work done. Lots of thinking. Tweaked a few plot points, then deleted half of one and rewrote it to make it fit better. No outlining today. 

- Write 30 minutes, 5-6 days -- 1/6 -- Wrote for 30 minutes yesterday. It wasn't hard necessarily, I just didn't feel very connected with the story. And today I wrote a sentence. One measly sentence. Oi. 

- Research 30 minutes to 1 hour 2 days -- 1/2 -- Spent about 2 hours doing research, though not on the subjects I had in mind. Still, it was informative.  

- Read 30 minutes (or more) 7 days -- 2/7 -- Read for a little bit. 

Miscellaneous:

- Take breaks -- 1/5 -- Eh, sort of. I only took 5 or 10 minutes each. 

- Log out -- 0/5 -- Nope. 

And now I'm feeling pretty brain dead, so I'm off to bed. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Jupiter said:

And today I wrote a sentence.

A James Joyce sentence, or a normal one...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

8 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Writing a sentance is better than none at all. *hugs*

Yeah true. Thanks. *hugs back*

7 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

A James Joyce sentence, or a normal one...?

LOL definitely not a James Joyce sentence. :D 

• Like 2